LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » SPINAL TAP & IV ANTIBIOTIC??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SPINAL TAP & IV ANTIBIOTIC??
bluejayer
Member # 6170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,
I was diagnosed this past August. Doxy (100mgx2 daily)for one month. Its is now 2 months after thelast dose and past week has been a ball! The headache and jawpain never really went away but a slight ringing in the ears turned into a blare over the past 2 weeks and then a gland in my face/jaw (parotid gland) swelled up. Saw Doc on Friday, got more doxy and will be seen to have a hearing test and then a spinal tap to see if its gone into Central Nervous System. I'm trying to hope that it hasn't but am being realistic. Ok, here's my problem. I'm in school and cannot have a port in my arm.. has anyone ever had one placed elsewhere? And, what do you think the chances are that this is maybe TMJ? Never had any problems like this before.. in fact, I'm the type that goes to the doctor only when ABSOLUTELY necessary. Any replies/advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading this lengthy post.
Deanna

Posts: 11 | From Waterford,Ct | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Deanna-

Please see the post with links for new members. There is lots of good info. There is a lyme symptom list.

You do not say how long you had lyme before you were diagnosed. 200 mg of doxy used to be the typical dose for lyme, almost all patients relapsed. I think 400-600 is more like the lowest dose given for good results these days.

Lyme is a disease of the central nervous system, a spinal tap isn't needed to prove this. Also, a tap may or may not prove anything else. It is a pretty invasive procedure, you may want a second opinion.

I've done both IV and now long term orals. There used to be many doctors who felt IV was the way to go, but the relapse rate has proved this wrong. IV does have it's place, but less routinely now. Anyway, I'm a teacher and had a line in my arm, not a big deal.

I'm doing very well on orals, tired still, but more active with minor pain.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejayer
Member # 6170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mlkeen:
Welcome Deanna-

Please see the post with links for new members. There is lots of good info. There is a lyme symptom list.

You do not say how long you had lyme before you were diagnosed. 200 mg of doxy used to be the typical dose for lyme, almost all patients relapsed. I think 400-600 is more like the lowest dose given for good results these days.

Lyme is a disease of the central nervous system, a spinal tap isn't needed to prove this. Also, a tap may or may not prove anything else. It is a pretty invasive procedure, you may want a second opinion.

I've done both IV and now long term orals. There used to be many doctors who felt IV was the way to go, but the relapse rate has proved this wrong. IV does have it's place, but less routinely now. Anyway, I'm a teacher and had a line in my arm, not a big deal.

I'm doing very well on orals, tired still, but more active with minor pain.

Mel

Sorry about not being specific. I noticed discomfort immediately after being bitten. I didn't know that it was a tick bite for a few weeks, but believe the actual bite occurred approximately 3-4 weeks to the day of receiving doxy. I will seek another opinion but if I should have to have the port, is there another place other than the arm that I can have it placed? I'm in school to be a surgical technician and am about to start clinical. Bottom line, I can't have a port in my arm as I have to be able to scrub above the elbow. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Posts: 11 | From Waterford,Ct | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Deanna, welcome to LymeNet.
So sorry you're still having problems.

I'm not a dr, but I recommend that you not have the spinal tap or IV at this time.
If you're going to seek another opinion, & you should, PLEASE be evaluated by a Lyme Literate Med Dr (LLMD) - ASAP.

An LLMD will know if a spinal tap is needed, & will also consider Co-infections like Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, & Bartonella.

Read "Co-infections". It'll give you an idea of how complicated a tick bite can become. You need to see a dr who has almost all Lyme patients. http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021366.html

Go to Seeking a Dr here on LymeNet, ask for info about LLMDs, & put your location in the title.
Dr's names are not given here unless they give permission.
Info on LLMDs will be e-mailed to you.

If you've had only 1 month of Doxy 200mg/day, then you have lots of options in oral antibiotics that should be tried before going to IV. Read Dr B's Guidelines & you'll see he recommends a much stronger dose for a much longer time.

Print "Diag Hints & Treat Guidelines..."
It's 32 pages of excellent info written by one of the best LLMDs. www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.html

page 15 or 16: Antibiotic Choices
Doxycycline - Adults: 100mg 4 times a day.

page 18: Treatment Categories
Early Disseminated Disease: milder symptoms present for less than 1 yr...
Adults: oral therapy until no active disease for 4 weeks.
Some are now saying treat until no symptoms for 6 to 8 weeks to be sure.

page 7: Diagnosing Later Disease
"Spinal taps are not routinely recommended, as a negative tap does not rule out Lyme."

Go to www.ilads.org & click "Basic Info"
Important facts that everyone should read.

You are still fairly early in the disease, especially compared to what most of us have gone through.
The earlier the treatment, the better the results, but ONLY if treatment is strong enough & long enough.

Please be sure you get adequate treatment now. The opportunity to treat early won't come around again.

For reliable info on all aspects of Tick-Borne Diseases (TBDs), go to
"Links for new LymeNet members" http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/009342.html

Keep in touch & ask as many questions as you need to.

[This message has been edited by cbb (edited 22 November 2004).]

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deanne-

I have seen PICC lines installed high up near the arm pit. Also I believe ports are imstalled in the chest.

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Just wanted to chime in here about the port. I have a port in my chest that has been really great for me. I had a PICC before (two years ago) and that was fine for me but the port is very easy to handle and I love it so much. The one I have is an indwelling port so that it's completely under the skin and has to be accessed with a needle when it's going to be used. The needle can stay in place for up to a week before needing to be replaced and there is a clear dressing (tegaderm) that's placed over it while it's accessed to keep it sterile.

There are also external ports (not sure if that's the real name of them or not) but basicaly they're a PICC line but in your chest. They come out from under the skin and then there is a tube there all the time. You don't have to deal with accessing/deaccessing but you do have to deal with a tube being there all the time (versus being able to deaccess and not have anything with the indwelling port). I know people who have had this kind and they seem happy with it.

With both of them, they can't really get wet so you have to be very careful when showering. With the indwelling port you don't have to worry if it's deaccessed and you can shower and swim normally. I'm not sure how it works with the other kind - I was told that the surgeon who was putting mine in would allow showering with the external port after a few weeks of healing. Both are put in by surgery but the indwelling port is a much more in depth procedure, the external one doesn't necessarily have to be put in by surgery but I think most people do.

So, I hope that info will help you. Here are a few pictures to help, too.

This is an indwelling port-a-cath (the kind I have):

A Port
B Catheter [tubing]
C Subclavian vein
D Superior Vena cava
E Pulmonary vein
F Aorta
G Heart

And this is the external one (different names - hickman, groshong, etc. - depending on the brand):

Hope this helps!

-Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

[This message has been edited by arg82 (edited 23 November 2004).]

[This message has been edited by arg82 (edited 24 November 2004).]

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryteEyez24
Member # 4828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryteEyez24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to lymenet. You just explained all the symptoms my husband started out with. He also has a picc line but it is in his left arm and goes around the heart. I hope you find all the answers you need.
Posts: 90 | From Haverhill,MA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement