LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Need Prayers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Prayers
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

This isn't really Lyme related but my family really needs some prayers right now.

My mother-in-law went to the hospital a few days ago for pneumonia.

Three days into her hospital visit she was told they might have seen some tumors.

Fourth day into her hospital visit she was told she has tumors on her spine, liver, shoulder and endrenol (sp?) gland.

She was told she is terminal.

Fifth day of visit she fell while walking to the bathroom and broke her hip. They did a biopsy of the bones. We were told that she may have only days left.

Sixth day of visit she was told she is 'riddled' with cancer - it is everywhere, including the bones.

It is a little more than a week since she was admitted to the hospital.

They are doing her hip surgery today. They hope to get a biopsy so they can tell what cancer they are dealing with. All other biopsies have been inconclusive - they have NO IDEA what kind of cancer this is!

Talk about TOTAL shock! None of us, including her, had any idea she had cancer. She is in her mid 50's.

She had been having severe pain, these past 2-3 months, in her back, arm and shoulder and went to two different hospitals (including the one she is now at) for xrays, medication, etc and was told it was nothing or it was a pinched nerve. How could they miss this????? Or is it just some super fast growing cancer?

She did have lung cancer almost ten years ago. She was 'cured' of it.

We were told a few days ago she might only have a few days left with us. I don't know if I agree because her spirit and humor is very good (normal). She hurts, she's worried for her family, she has cancer and she's tired - but other than that she's relatively good.

They can't start chemo to prolong her life until they find out what kind of cancer this is.

She hasn't seen my son since she started having her pain months ago and I am praying that she will get to see him before she passes! He is not allowed to go in where she is now.

My husband, his brother and her husband are total wrecks! We are all exhausted mentally and emotionally.

My husband also is dealing with me and my Lyme. And I swear he has Lyme too. We are seeing Dr. S in DC next week.

On top of this, about three weeks ago, my sister almost died. She is fine now and back to work but WHEW!

It's been a crazy month, a very insane week, our Christmas felt nothing like Christmas and you know what stress does to your symptoms.

So, please, keep my mother-in-law and family in your prayers. I would really appreciate it and I know my mother-in-law would too (she said 'I'll take anyone praying for me').

She said she will not give up and will fight till her last breath.

Thanks so much...

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry for the frightful info. i will keep you, your mom and your family in my thoughts.

best of luck and be strong. your mom needs you right now. got to be a pillar!

zip

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill/family, my heart aches for you/your Mother-in-law & family! So much in such a short time.

Yes, pray to God or whoever you believe in to carry you thru these rough tmes.

My sister's breast cancer was cured for 6.5 yrs. & spread to her liver. We had her 2 yrs more.

They should never had allowed her to go to bathroom without assistance from nursing staff or immediate family.

Another person on here posted about losing her Mom to lyme disease. Please look for her post...darth something. I posted many poems on there; perhaps you will find something to comfort you/her/family!

Best wishes to all; holidays make it even more frightening. Been there; done that.
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fulfillment09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fulfillment09   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is tough to deal with these craziness during the holiday season. Your mother-in-law is a wise and brave woman and I applaud her courage.

I will pray and believe in the best outcome for her as well. Perhaps that's what she needs right now from you and your family. It is tough if she's the only one being strong, believe and have faith in God. I know He answered my call when I asked Him. God bless.

Posts: 149 | From Long Beach, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
I am so sorry for your whole family, you are all in my prayers.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

I am sorry for the horrendous time you're going through with your family. What a shock. Thinking of you.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's rough indeed! I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jill,

I am so saddened to know of your family's health problems.

May God's love blanket and comfort each of you through these difficult times.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Latest news:

My mother-in-law had hip surgery two days ago, for her broken hip.

She now has an infection somewhere, she is bleeding from somewhere and has a blood clot in or near her heart.

She is getting antibiotics, blood and blood thinner to take care of the problems. She's also on some heavy medication that makes her crazy (she thought the hospital was trying to kill her).

And we still have no idea what kind of cancer we are dealing with yet. We might know tonight.

Her blood pressure dropped so low yesterday that the doctors wanted all the family there just in case.

Her vitals are very good, as of this afternoon.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this..

Many prayers for you, Jill..

You have and still are having an incredibly rough journey. I wish things to turn out the best theyposibly can, and for strength for you and your husband and family.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

The strange thing about all of this: the hospital can't figure out what kind of cancer she has.

They sent the sample to NIH.

And, the tumors supposedly do not show in xrays taken 6 weeks ago at two different hospitals. How does that make sense? They say the tumors must have been too small.

My mother-in-law is doing much better and may be out of the hospital this week or next week. She can walk w/help, her infection is clearing up and the bleeding is gone. She still has a blood clot and they are hoping it will be reabsorbed into her body.

Until we know what kind of cancer she has, they can't start treatment.

They are talking about, at the most, 6 months left for her. But how can they say that when they have NO idea what she has?

She was moved to a different floor and has seen my son these past few days.

Many of our prayers have been answered and things look so much better than they were (at one point we were told she would last less than two days) but we are all still shell-shocked over this!

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 03 January 2005).]

Kait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

My prayers are with you and your family. I know it feels to have a loved one go through this. I have lost many friends and family to this horrible things they call Cancer. A good friend of mine a 21 year old just beat cancer!!! There is hope, and it happens. I pray for nothing but the best for her and keep your head up even though I know it is hard. I just lost a close friend to cancer today. Everything happens for a reason even thought sometimes we dont agree with the reason.

Praying for you

------------------
Young N Infected

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hello Jill,
Really sorry all of this stress is happening for your family right now. It amazes me that we can think we're doing okay one day and the next get devastating news about our own health or those we love.

Sounds like your mom in law has been beating the medical odds and there she came through major surgery and is able to leave the hospital ! Amazing and sounds as if prayers are being answered and her body being touched by the hand of God.

I will remember to keep praying for more good news re: her cancer diagnosis if that's what it turns our to be. If so , she will do very well on the treatment and come through this to everyones awe and amazement !

You & your husband are in prayers too as you are vulnerable to the ill effects of too much stress. Try and get as much rest as possible, drink a good protein drink when you can't eat as well as you'd like. Best Wishes for a better 2005.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, yes, I will say a special prayer for you and your family.

Keep your spirit up!

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,
This may be a longshot, but look into Sarcoid for your MIL.

Sarcoid causes tumors that appear to be cancerous, but are NOT cancer.
They don't know what causes Sarcoid, but....
Some researchers think that perhaps it is caused by a systemic infection, perhaps a tick born disease.

Last spring, there was a big discussion here at LymeNet about the Marshall Protocol. Trevor Marshall is doing research with Sarcoid patients, using Benicar to reduce the body's inflammation. THAT is when I read various things about it, including what I said above.

This is so odd. Xrays were clear six weeks ago. Now she has tumors all over. Maybe....they can't figure out what kind of cancer it is because....maybe it's not cancer?

Another thing, I remember reading that one of the tick borne diseases can cause tumors that appear to be cancer. Bartonella? Although I think I remember that the tumors were found in the brain and in the lymph nodes.

After spending the last year reading about Lyme Disease, I keep seeing it everywhere. I know of two people who died of odd diseases, whose doctors had trouble diagnosing, and who I now know had symptoms consistant with tick born disease.

Also, when I worked in the hospital, I saw too many people who were diagnosed with "terminal" cancer who took chemotherapy treatment anyway, which made them VERY sick before they died.

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through all of this. I hope the docs can figure it out.

Take care,
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear jill
my heart aches to hear all that you and your family are going through. As best as you can, please try to take care of yourself during this time. Try to remember your limited number of spoons. Do you know that story?

I just lost my father to cancer recently. I gave away all of my spoons during the passing of my father and ended up in a wheelchair. It's my life story ... I give too much and then have very little leftover for me. I'm sending prayers to you and your loved ones. May God stand by your side.
Warm Regards
Paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support.

I have got to find that spoon story. I keep hearing it talked about but haven't read it myself.

My mother-in-law is coming to her oldest son's home to live either tomorrow or Friday.

They have no idea what kind of cancer it is but says it doesn't matter - there is no treatment and she is going to die.

It sounds like they aren't even going to try to figure it out anymore.

They told them that they can get a second opinion and they said no.

They gave someone 3-6 months for the time she has left but someone else said they were told it could be sooner.

It's hard to know exactly what is going on. One person says one thing and another says the opposite. My husband doesn't want to get involved in sorting it out and the family has made it known over the years that it isn't my place to get involved.

The father told my husband he is expected to visit his mother every day now. It's about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour round trip to see her from our house (to where she will be living) and will make my husband's commute from work about 1 1/2 - 2 hours now (another 45-60 mts added).

We have a very young son who never stays still. And I have lyme.

The father almost cussed me out when I said that it may be too much for my husband to drive that kind of commute every day, and that there are some days I need him home because of my disease or need him home to watch our child while I go to the doctor.

I'm not trying to be mean but it's true. And my husband does not want to have to drive to see her everyday. This is how he wants to handle this situation.

I'm also worried about my husband. He has alot on his plate now. He works hard, he has to do alot for me now, I cannot drive at night, he is emotionally drained, he goes to bed earlier and earlier each night. He has had a headache for two weeks now. The last thing I want is for him to get sick (he probably has lyme). I don't want him driving super long hours after work, in the dark, tired, upset, by himself every single day.

My husband is supposed to feel guilty and obligated like the rest of the family. The husband treated his wife like crap for years - totally ignoring her. And the older son verbally abused her (and the whole family) all the time.

They expect more from my husband than is possible. They use him and have for years. They dislike me because I put an end to most of it and had my husband actually move out of their house. Their family has too much verbal, emotional and mental abuse that I couldn't handle living with them and there was NO way I was raising any children in that environment.

They expect the 'old' family to be his first priority and expect him to put his wife and child second. They refuse to realize he now has a new family.

Holidays are hell with his family. My own family is not important and we are expected to come to every family function they have. If I want to see my family, I have to go by myself.

This has been going on for a long time and is why we stopped having alot of contact with his family. It caused too many problems and caused strife in our marriage.

Sigh. I really don't know what to tell my husband.

This is a difficult situation and his family is making it worse for my husband.

I have no idea what to do because I don't want to cause any problems. My relationship with the entire family is rocky at best. And the last thing I want to do is upset my mother-in-law. But then again, I don't want my husband to be treated badly or forced to do things he doesn't want to do or have his family make him feel guilty when he shouldn't...

It's a very tough situation

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 06 January 2005).]

Paisley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paisley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear JillF,

I found The Spoon Theory

My best friend and I were in the diner talking. As usual, it was very late and we were eating French fries with gravy. Like normal girls our age, we spent a lot of time in the diner while in college, and most of the time we spent talking about boys, music or trivial things, that seemed very important at the time. We never got serious about anything in particular and spent most of our time laughing.

As I went to take some of my medicine with a snack as I usually did, she watched me this time, with a kind of stare, instead of continuing the conversation. She then asked me out of the blue what it felt like to have Lupus and be sick. I was shocked not only because she asked the random question, but also because I assumed she knew all there was to know about Lupus. She came to doctors with me, she saw me walk with a cane, and throw up in the bathroom. She had seen me cry in pain, what else was there to know? I started to ramble on about pills, and aches and pains, but she kept pursuing, and didn't seem satisfied with my answers. I was a little surprised as being my roommate in college and friend for years; I thought she already knew the medical definition of Lupus. Then she looked at me with a face every sick person knows well, the face of pure curiosity about something no one healthy can truly understand. She asked what it felt like, not physically, but what it felt like to be me, to be sick.

As I tried to gain my composure, I glanced around the table for help or guidance, or at least stall for time to think. I was trying to find the right words. How do I answer a question I never was able to answer for myself? How do I explain every detail of every day being effected, and give the emotions a sick person goes through with clarity. I could have given up, cracked a joke like I usually do, and changed the subject, but I remember thinking if I don't try to explain this, how could I ever expect her to understand. If I can't explain this to my best friend, how could I explain my world to anyone else? I had to at least try.

At that moment, the spoon theory was born. I quickly grabbed every spoon on the table; hell I grabbed spoons off of the other tables. I looked at her in the eyes and said ``Here you go, you have Lupus''. She looked at me slightly confused, as anyone would when they are being handed a bouquet of spoons. The cold metal spoons clanked in my hands, as I grouped them together and shoved them into her hands. I explained that the difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices, or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn't have to. The healthy have the luxury of choice, a gift most people take for granted.

Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions. So for my explanation, I used spoons to convey this point. I wanted something for her to actually hold, for me to then take away, since most people who get sick feel a ``loss'' of a life they once knew. If I was in control of taking away the spoons, then she would know what it feels like to have someone or something else, in this case Lupus, being in control.

She grabbed the spoons with excitement. She didn't understand what I was doing, but she is always up for a good time, so I guess she thought I was cracking a joke of some kind like I usually do when talking about touchy topics. Little did she know how serious I would become?

I asked her to count her spoons. She asked why, and I explained that when you are healthy you expect to have a never-ending supply of "spoons". But when you have to now plan your day, you need to know exactly how many ``spoons'' you are starting with. It doesn't guarantee that you might not lose some along the way, but at least it helps to know where you are starting. She counted out 12 spoons. She laughed and said she wanted more. I said no, and I knew right away that this little game would work, when she looked disappointed, and we hadn't even started yet. I've wanted more "spoons" for years and haven't found a way yet to get more, why should she? I also told her to always be conscious of how many she had, and not to drop them because she can never forget she has Lupus.

I asked her to list off the tasks of her day, including the most simple. As, she rattled off daily chores, or just fun things to do; I explained how each one would cost her a spoon. When she jumped right into getting ready for work as her first task of the morning, I cut her off and took away a spoon. I practically jumped down her throat. I said " No! You don't just get up. You have to crack open your eyes, and then realize you are late. You didn't sleep well the night before. You have to crawl out of bed, and then you have to make your self something to eat before you can do anything else, because if you don't, you can't take your medicine, and if you don't take your medicine you might as well give up all your spoons for today and tomorrow too." I quickly took away a spoon and she realized she hasn't even gotten dressed yet. Showering cost her a spoon, just for washing her hair and shaving her legs. Reaching high and low that early in the morning could actually cost more than one spoon, but I figured I would give her a break; I didn't want to scare her right away. Getting dressed was worth another spoon. I stopped her and broke down every task to show her how every little detail needs to be thought about. You cannot simply just throw clothes on when you are sick. I explained that I have to see what clothes I can physically put on, if my hands hurt that day buttons are out of the question. If I have bruises that day, I need to wear long sleeves, and if I have a fever I need a sweater to stay warm and so on. If my hair is falling out I need to spend more time to look presentable, and then you need to factor in another 5 minutes for feeling badly that it took you 2 hours to do all this.

I think she was starting to understand when she theoretically didn't even get to work, and she was left with 6 spoons. I then explained to her that she needed to choose the rest of her day wisely, since when your ``spoons'' are gone, they are gone. Sometimes you can borrow against tomorrow's "spoons", but just think how hard tomorrow will be with less "spoons". I also needed to explain that a person who is sick always lives with the looming thought that tomorrow may be the day that a cold comes, or an infection, or any number of things that could be very dangerous. So you do not want to run low on "spoons", because you never know when you truly will need them. I didn't want to depress her, but I needed to be realistic, and unfortunately being prepared for the worst is part of a real day for me.

We went through the rest of the day, and she slowly learned that skipping lunch would cost her a spoon, as well as standing on a train, or even typing at her computer too long. She was forced to make choices and think about things differently. Hypothetically, she had to choose not to run errands, so that she could eat dinner that night.

When we got to the end of her pretend day, she said she was hungry. I summarized that she had to eat dinner but she only had one spoon left. If she cooked, she wouldn't have enough energy to clean the pots. If she went out for dinner, she might be too tired to drive home safely. Then I also explained, that I didn't even bother to add into this game, that she was so nauseous, that cooking was probably out of the question anyway. So she decided to make soup, it was easy. I then said it is only 7pm, you have the rest of the night but maybe end up with one spoon, so you can do something fun, or clean your apartment, or do chores, but you can't do it all.

I rarely see her emotional, so when I saw her upset I knew maybe I was getting through to her. I didn't want my friend to be upset, but at the same time I was happy to think finally maybe someone understood me a little bit. She had tears in her eyes and asked quietly ``Christine, How do you do it? Do you really do this everyday?'' I explained that some days were worse then others; some days I have more spoons then most. But I can never make it go away and I can't forget about it, I always have to think about it. I handed her a spoon I had been holding in reserve. I said simply, ``I have learned to live life with an extra spoon in my pocket, in reserve. You need to always be prepared''

Its hard, the hardest thing I ever had to learn is to slow down, and not do everything. I fight this to this day. I hate feeling left out, having to choose to stay home, or to not get things done that I want to. I wanted her to feel that frustration. I wanted her to understand, that everything everyone else does comes so easy, but for me it is one hundred little jobs in one. I need to think about the weather, my temperature that day, and the whole day's plans before I can attack any one given thing. When other people can simply do things, I have to attack it and make a plan like I am strategizing a war. It is in that lifestyle, the difference between being sick and healthy. It is the beautiful ability to not think and just do. I miss that freedom. I miss never having to count "spoons".

After we were emotional and talked about this for a little while longer, I sensed she was sad. Maybe she finally understood. Maybe she realized that she never could truly and honestly say she understands. But at least now she might not complain so much when I can't go out for dinner some nights, or when I never seem to make it to her house and she always has to drive to mine. I gave her a hug when we walked out of the diner. I had the one spoon in my hand and I said ``Don't worry. I see this as a blessing. I have been forced to think about everything I do. Do you know how many spoons people waste everyday? I don't have room for wasted time, or wasted ``spoons'' and I chose to spend this time with you.''

Ever since this night, I have used the spoon theory to explain my life to many people. In fact, my family and friends refer to spoons all the time. It has been a code word for what I can and cannot do. Once people understand the spoon theory they seem to understand me better, but I also think they live their life a little differently too. I think it isn't just good for understanding Lupus, but anyone dealing with any disability or illness. Hopefully, they don't take so much for granted or their life in general. I give a piece of myself, in every sense of the word when I do anything. It has become an inside joke. I have become famous for saying to people jokingly that they should feel special when I spend time with them, because they have one of my "spoons".

I just posted this reply to a newbie who had a question about family and also thought of you.

Here's what I am doing, which may sound a bit harsh, but for the time- being it is the only option I have. I am surrounding myself with people who are only part of the solution - not part of the problem.

And, I am doing this for my survival. Literally. It's a tragedy that it has taken a near-death experience with a Lyme complication for me to put down boundaries.

But perhaps this is one of the reasons that I have this wonderful disease. To learn what I am willing to put up with from other people and what I am able to give to others. At times I just haven't been very good about articulating what is acceptable and what isn't.

I am learning about my limited energy units. (Have you heard of the spoon story? If not, do a search here).

For example, I just set limits with my mother, MY OWN MOTHER! She is the person that I thought would be the most nurturing, loving and compassionate. However, I had to tell her that I could not be around her until she stops telling me how to be sick or how to get well (she thinks that it is best if I am out of bed and running around).

Even more confusing is that my dad passed away in Sept. and I feel like I should be there for my mother -- to comfort her, but I don't have anything left to give at this time. It is all about my survival.

I explained that the swelling in and around my brain is contributing to my symptoms and that stress exacerbates all of my symptoms. And because of my disease, I lack the skills to cope with the added stress.

I looked for a better article, but couldn't find it so I wanted to pass on a short paragraph that sums up some of the neuro stuff you may be experienceing:

Distinct Pattern of Cognitive Impairment Noted in Study of Lyme Patients by
Marian Rissenberg PhD & Susan Chambers MD, The Lyme Times, Vol. 20, Jan-Mar 1998, pp. 29-32
"Patients with Lyme encephalopathy complain of problems with memory and concentration, word retrieval, confusion, problems with thinking, "mental fogginess", a decline in job performance, difficulty with calculations, directions, and judgment. Decreased initiative, manifest as difficulty getting started with or following through with projects is often noted. Mood disturbance is common with complaints of irritability, explosiveness or "a short fuse," sadness, hopelessness or guilt, increased anxiety or mood swings. Sleep disturbance is also common, and can present as initial, middle or terminal insomnia or some combination of these. Fatigue is universal. Headache is common, and of course joint and muscle pain. Increased sensitivity to light and noise, visual disturbance, and tingling in the extremities are also common.'"

By the way, since setting limits with my mother, she has been trying very hard and communicating by email. Its just enough for us right now. And we continue to tell eachother that we love one another.

Please don't misinterpret anything I just said. There is no one in the world more than my husband and children that I want a meaningful relationship with than my mom. But what I have come to realize is that her misunderstandings about this disease are about her. However, my recovery is about me. Hope some of that makes sense.

Regards
paisley

Posts: 298 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

My heart goes out to you. My advise to you on your situation is:

1. Tell your husband that you support him in whatever HE decides.

2. Suggest to him that he talk by phone to his Mom daily. He is giving her that support that way.

3. Suggest he ignore his Dad/family members who are not supportive of HIS situation. Tell him not to let them bring HIM down to their negativity.

4. Say NO as often as possible so he takes care of himself.

5. A death and right before it brings out the WORSE not the better in everyone. You go thru this whole range of emotions that you never knew you had before.

6. For YOU to just ignore everyone else but your hubby and mother-in-law and your child.

Pray often for God or whoever to carry you during these times when you can't walk for yourself.

Paisley, you are doing the right thing but telling your Mom you can't deal with her more than just by email, and glad you end your consersations with I LOVE YOU.

These are not easy times for anyone, and we all grief in our own ways for unknown periods of time. I do suggest berievement classes if your hospital/hospice/church has them.
Best wishes to you all. Betty G., Iowa

I didn't go to my siblings xmas this year. They offer me no support on my lyme & 30 others dx/symptoms even after my lyme dx artricle that appeared in our newspaper in Aug. 04. I didnt let them bring me down. Spent nice quiet day home with my 24/7 supportive hubby.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

I read the spoon article and I sent it to my husband and he emailed me back asking me 'is this what it is like for you?'.

After everything I've told him, all that he is heard from me and emails of articles I sent him, etc, it took that story to make him understand more.

Good article. I sent it out to everyone on my email list.

Thanks everyone for the support.

I do have some good news. Yesterday I was diagnosed with Lyme by Dr. S in DC! First time for diagnosis. We should get the test results back from Igenex but he told me, within the first 10 mts of our appt., that there was no way I did not have Lyme. What reassurance that was to me - even though I was 99.9% sure of it....

It was wonderful to talk with someone who understood and knew my symptoms and what I was going through (he had Lyme also).

It was great knowing that all the 12+ doctors I've seen over the past 21 months were wrong - it's NOT all in my head!!! It was great having a doctor who did not want to throw anxiety drugs my way...

I have to say, without Lymenet, I'd be totally lost and confused. It was here I got the knowledge, the information and the support I needed for those 21 months.

Back to my mother in law: I talked to my dad about this whole thing with the mother in law and my husband's dad and brother - their expectations of him, etc.

He said that my husband should sit down with his mother by himself and talk to her. Explain to her that he might not see her everyday and why but that he loves her, etc. Then he will tell his father and brother to keep their comments to themselves.

We will see if my husband will do that.

I guess I am most worried about my husband's health and mental well-being. And our marriage - our relationship with one another and our son's relationship with him. I can see rocky times ahead. He will be spending all his time at work and at his family's house - he will probably be home to sleep.

He has so many balls to juggle and one day he will drop one. It's only a matter of time.

I think he has decisions to make for what he wants now and what he wants/needs after his mother's passing.

But then I think I am being unsupportive and cruel.

I never thought I'd be dealing with this at such a young age. I thought I'd at least be in my 40's...

JillF
Member # 5553

M-I-L is coming home Monday.

Hospice will be visiting her at the house a few times a week for now.

Just received bad news from my good friend on Friday. Her father has been diagnosed with kidney/adrenal gland cancer.

lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill,

I am still keeping up with you. I am sorry to hear of your friend's father.
I will keep your family in my prayers.

Paisley, thanks for the spoon theory, boy does it make sense or what?

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Hospice is really, really wonderful.

It must be the answer to many people's prayers when they are dealing with a loved one dying.

One of the nurses told our family today that our mother-in-law will probably pass between now and two weeks.

She is sleeping, probably, 23 1/2 hours a day right now. She barely eats. You can tell that it is almost time.

It is nice that she is at home and not at the hospital.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement