LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » what kind of wood chips?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what kind of wood chips?
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking over the CDC website for the billionth time this morning and was reading again about creating a "wood chip" barrier between wild vegetation and our backyards & play areas.

Does anyone know what kind of wood chips should be used?

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heartsickmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone? Anyone at all?

We're trying to prepare for Spring. Going to chop down ALL the bushes to about 6" height, clear the canyon about 10' out from our backyard, and want to place the wood chip barriers around the perimeter of where our daughter plays.

If not a wood chip barrier, what else have anyone of you done to keep those blood sucking despicable creatures out of your yards?

Posts: 134 | From calif. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, wish I could help you with your wood chip question. I don't know of a specific type but you should be very careful about what you use. I know a lot of mulch can actually contain ticks so you may want to consider treating whatever form of chips you use with pesticides. Maybe spray them once and wait a few days and then toss them around a little with a rake or something so you will expose the other side, and spray them again? Maybe this is too cautious, maybe not. I prefer to error on the side of caution.

Also, I read that you were taking some things down to 6 inches...was that correct? Ideally, you will not want very many small bushy plants. The reason is that these plants give mice a place to hide, thus attracting them (and the ticks they carry) into your yard.

Try to use plants that have a trunk that grows up for a little ways before the plant becomes leafy. Don't clump them together so that they provide any cover underneath for rodents. That will help to discourage them from using your yard.

Also, don't plant things in your yard that attract birds. Birds carry ticks as well. Only a few weeks before I became sick I had picked up a baby bird that was attacked by the cat. The bird had ticks on it but I didn't realize how dangerous the ticks were at the time. I don't know if the tick that bit me came from that bird or someplace else but there is a definite possibility that the tick could have been dropped off in my room when I was trying to help the bird. For that reason, I would not encourage them into my yard. Obviously, you can't keep them out but no reason to attract them either.

By the way, don't use pine straw, I think it is even more likely to carry ticks than regular mulch.

Hope this helps a little.

Angie

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angie is right. The wood chips by themselves will attract nymphal ticks. The idea is that they are placed in a three foot wide area all around the area you want to protect, and then you spray the wood chips. Hopefully the ticks will be attracted to the wood, and will die aftre exposure to the pesticide.

Doing this will limit the area that has to be treated with toxic chemicals. I don't know if it is completely effective, though. Seems like a mouse, rat, deer or bird could easily carry a tick inside the protected area.

As far as what kind, I think any kind of wood works. Its the woods ability to maintain a moist environment that makes it attractive to ticks.

You might also want to check out Damminex tubes. Another way to target the application of pesticide, limiting how much exposure you get while still effectively killing ticks.

PLEASE, PLEASE be very careful of exposing yourself and your children to these pesticides! Don't trade one health problem for another one.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think another reason for the woodchip barrier is to eliminate small bushes & tall grass. Ticks crawl up this type vegetation so that they can grab onto a host that brushes by.

I've read that the Lone Star tick is more aggressive & actually turns toward the animal or person & reaches out to grab hold.

The Lyme Disease Foundation brochure has some good tips -

"Reducing Ticks on Property
Widen trails & move playscapes to non-tick areas.
Prune trees, clear brush, remove litter, & mow grass often. Let grass dry thoroughly between waterings, because ticks need moist habitats to live.
Remove the shrubby undergrowth between your lawn & woods.
Modify your property so that it is unattractive to animals that are hosts to ticks: build fences around the property; clear away wood, garbage, & leaf piles; & eliminate stone walls, bird feeders, & bird baths.
Apply tick-killing chemicals to property."

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLaura
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how a gravel border would work. Pretty well, I would think.
Posts: 132 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heartsickmommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6417

Thanks all!

I'm printing out this thread and will be back again (probably with more questions) once I have a better idea of how to re-landscape.

riversinger - I understand what you're saying about not trading one health problem for another. That's the big dilemma. *groan!*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement