LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Study - Inaccurate Information About Lyme Disease on the Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study - Inaccurate Information About Lyme Disease on the Internet
twoangie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the breakdown on the table from the internet study.
The authors reviewed the internet sites for the following information:
tick bites, diagnosis, serology, other tests, chronic lyme, Treatment, Pregnancy, Breast-feeding

I broke down the table to see, basically, how polarized they were (as if I needed to bother!). Answer = VERY!

These sites were deemed to be completely correct:

www.acponline.org = American College of Physicians
www.aldf.com = American Lyme Disease Foundation
www.cdc.gov
www.fda.gov
www.healingwell.com www.hopkins-arthritis.com
www.intelihealth.com
www.kidshealth.org
www.lymediseaseinformationcom = pfizer pamplet
www.webmd.com

These sites were deemed completely wrong:

www.igenex.com
www.iliads.org
www.lymediseaseassociationcom
www.lymenet.org
www.lymesite.com = Boston, MA site ?

The following sites were deemed accurate on only one or two items. I listed the ones that were consider accurate for each site:

www.lyme.org = Lyme Disease Foundation = Diagnosis and Serology
www.lymealliance.org = (has this site been taken down?) = tick bites and pregnancy
www.lymedisease.org = CA Lyme Disease Assoc. = Diagnosis and treatment
www.lymeinfo.net =other tests (did they completely ignore all the abstracts citing medical research???)

1: Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004 Dec;23(12):1105-1108

Inaccurate Information About Lyme Disease on the Internet.

Cooper JD, Feder HM Jr.

From the *University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT; and daggerConnecticut Children's Medical Center, Hartford, CT.

OBJECTIVE:: Patients and families searching the Internet about Lyme disease may find conflicting information. Our purpose was to review the accuracy of information on Lyme disease easily available on the Internet. METHODS:: We used 15 search engines to find general information about Lyme disease. We found 251 Lyme disease websites, which we reviewed. Of these 251 websites, 19 gave general Lyme disease information and were analyzed. We evaluated the accuracy of information concerning 8 Lyme disease topics. RESULTS:: Ten of the 19 websites gave accurate information and 9 of the 19 websites provided inaccurate information. There were 8 websites with the word "Lyme" in the domain name, and 7 of the 8 sites gave inaccurate information. There were 2 ".gov" websites, and both gave accurate information. CONCLUSIONS:: Patients and families searching the Internet for medical information about Lyme disease may encounter inaccurate information.

PMID: 15626946 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

[This message has been edited by twoangie (edited 04 January 2005).]

[This message has been edited by twoangie (edited 04 January 2005).]

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twoangie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, here's the question...

If these guys were allowed space in this journal to publish flawed studies, basically slandering the information contained on the sites that have been deemed unworthy by some moron "researcher" of their choosing...doesn't this mean that the journal that was fool enough to publish this information now is obligated to give the other party an opportunity to respond? After all, the journal has published negative information so I think that by law, the other parties, the injured parties, should be allowed to reply.

Frankly, if this is the true, then this could actually be an opportunity. In fact, 10 separate opportunities if each of these sites takes the time to carefully formulate replies...and space them out over a few months so the replies will be in several of their journals. I think that this could actually be used to the advantage of raising awareness with real, valid information backed by research and not rapid replies because each group knocked here has an opportunity to defend themselves and actually educate a lot of doctors. This may help prevent one or two kids from suffering when they should not have.

They should have thought a little harder before backing these groups into a corner that contains a door...!

Angie

Posts: 1993 | From Charlotte, NC, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 25. February 2008, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Email me and I will forward it to you. I sent a copy to Lovey but I didn't know your address.

What do you think about all the groups that were knocked deserving equal time in the journal? I think it is only fair if the journal is discrediting them publically then they should have the opportunity to respond with a defense, right?

By the way, I'm very surprised that none of these groups were contacted and informed that they were to be included in this "research" by either the authors or the journal. Very surprised because I would believe there should have been some accountability.

Angie

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I got Lyme, I was under the impression that most of what was published in journals was accurate. What a shock to learn that so much crap gets in.

A study showing THIS would be eyeopening, but then most people are probably like me in not realizing the situation until faced with it personally.

And it isn't just Lyme. Bias, ignorance, corruption, conflicts of interest. All there in medical research (and diagnosis and treatment and journals).

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 05 January 2005).]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the guy guy's that said these things get just what I had. Walk in our shoes would take this mindless blanketing away What misjudgement.Because there in there own club and they are safe. Lets see what happens to these idiots when this whole lyme thing is fully understood.

They will slither away without even a apology to all the people whos lives they impacted.

I guess Lida Mattman who won the Nobel Piece Prize (back when it was worth something) Is wrong too.!

I really hate mens sins Not only does it effect them but hey what hell share it with everyone else. I guess there oath meant nothing.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 05 January 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveInMinnesota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish they mentioned what they felt was inaccurate. I, for one, am constantly questioning everything I read everywhere.
Posts: 133 | From Rocheser, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveInMinnesota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I just finished reading the material on WebMD and it was some of the most concise, informative information that I have seen since I received my diagnosis.
Posts: 133 | From Rocheser, MN, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tritchie1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first became ill four years ago, I researched lyme disease at webmd, and a couple others. Unfortunately, I believed what I read there, and thought I had to have remembered a rash and have all the symptoms listed. I didn't on either item. What's crazy is I remember reading this stuff, and coming back over and over thinking to myself, this disease fits, almost. If only I had the information I have now, I would probably have been able to get cured right away. Instead, here I am, four years later, still sick because of sites like webmd. Just my two cents!

Trip

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious who paid for this study.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Last night I emailed the webmasters as well as some members of the affected groups. I directed them to this site in case they wanted to get together to organize a response. However, I'm thinking this site may be too public for them to strategize.

I've personally received responses from several people but no one has suggested an alternate site. If anyone checks in here but is hesitant to post, you are more than welcome to email me. I may be working with Cheryl from Lymeinfo and we are debating on the best response but want to see what the rest of you are thinking before formulating a reply.

Thanks,

Angie

twoangie
Member # 1636

deleted

[This message has been edited by twoangie (edited 05 January 2005).]

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 8 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letts organise!! We need to treat these two Ducks like we did STEERE and fast. What complete morons they are!!! MADDOG
Posts: 4000 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey treepatrol, just for the record, Dr. Mattman was nominated for the Nobel, but not selected. In my opinion, she did deserve it and the future will show that alternate forms of pathogens are causing many diseases.

When you read medical history, the main lesson is not just that there was so much human nature mixed in with science and hindered its progress dramatically, but that this influence has not changed, is still very much with us, AND NO ONE SEEMS TO NOTICE OR CONSIDER HOW WE COULD AVOID THESE PITFALLS. Can't we learn anything from the past, or do we have to keep goofing in the same ways?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveInMinnesota
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6661

Quite possibly the information on WebMD has changed. The first three articles that I read all mentioned that the rash is not always present. They also discuss how difficult it is to diagnosis and the importance of finding a doctor with experience treating Lyme Disease. I'm not associated with the site nor would I necessarily endorse it; my point was that I got the impression from people here that it was worthless and was surprised to the contrary.

I understand though that your point is that some websites that are providing tremendous support are being portrayed poorly.

OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 09. March 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Miss Tick,

Hey there,

Was there more to the article than what I sent? I'm confused. I copied about 10 pages of information after the abstract in that email. People are wanting more information but that's all I have. I don't have all the research articles which are listed. Since I obtained a copy of the article my links don't work. Even if they did, I would not be able to use them because I am not authorized. Sigh.

It is amusing how these men feel it is up to them to define Lyme Disease, to reduce this complex, living and ever-changing creature that is Borrelia to something simple and completely known. They think they have it corraled and boxed now, that there is very little more to know when the truth is, we've barely glanced the tip of the iceberg on this one.

It's also kinda funny how they keep using their old research to back their stance and ignore the fact that there is so much new stuff being published from around the world supporting the beliefs of ILADS and all the other Lyme groups affected by this miserable disease. Their research goes round in circles as they just pat each other on the backs and constantly reinforce what the others said in previous research. If they are not being paid off then it seems very obvious that they are the most insecure group of researchers out there. Do they ever break new ground? I'd think rarely because they don't want to do so, not only would it separate them from the herd, it would force them to go back and correct all their errors as well as appologize to everyone they disabled. Like that will ever happen, too many lawsuits

I hope our guys FRY them!!!

OptiMisTick
Member # 399

[ 25. February 2008, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you guys are incredible! Is there any way somebody could scan the article and make it available somehow - either posted here or by e-mail on request?

OptiMisTick, your analysis of how and why this erudite study was done is right on the money!

Thanks so much to TwoAngie,too!
Ann - OH

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barrie
Member # 1796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barrie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During our darkest days when each day my daughter got sicker and sicker and no one would treat her, we found lymenet. We told our dr about it and all the people with similar stories and similar symptoms. She told us that all of these people do not have lyme and to be very careful. She said she was a Hopkins dr and medicine is black and white, there are no grey areas. She warned us about all of these sites giving out wrong information. Long story short,we no longer see her. We see Dr.J and our daughter is almost back to normal.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

[ 25. February 2008, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

LeapinLizards
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know what websites to trust?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the sites that are deemed "wrong" are just that, what does it means if my/our symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and healing doesn't follow the "right" sites but the "wrong" sites.

Are we ALL "wrong?"

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pathetic, isn't it?!
Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the (deemed) completely wrong. Because I spent 7 years seeing Dr's that believe the (deemed right) while the whole time I had Lyme Disease and did not even know about until until 7 years later after a stroke and seizures and countless other problems. I stumbled upon a person that believed the (deemed wrong) that told me about Lyme and I found a great LLMD that has a great deal of knowledge in the (deemed wrong) and had my blood sent to a (deemed wrong) testing center that came back positive for Babs and equiv. for Lyme (25 bands). And now I am under (deem wrong) treatment and I believe that one day I will be a healther women because of it.

Cindy

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoangie
Member # 1636

Cindy,

Hi there, so sorry for all you've gone through (and everyone else here as well!) but I noticed that you had seizures and wanted to stop for a minute and advise you to really limit the processed foods you may be eating, if you haven't already done so. The reason is that many of those foods contain neurotoxins. These are chemicals added to the food to enhance the taste or help preserve the foods. Unfortunately, these chemicals are very bad for a great many of us with neurological problems.

For a scientific explanation, you may want to refer to Russell Blaylock's book, Excitotoxins. For an easier read, check out www.truthinlabeling.org there's a lot of good information there that is easy to understand.

When I was eating processed foods, esp canned foods (soups) and prepackaged meals, I would have horrible electrical storms in my brain along with much heavier neurological symptoms. Limiting these foods has helped me greatly.

Hope this helps,

Angie

[This message has been edited by twoangie (edited 14 January 2005).]

Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I did start on Topomax which is controling my siezures. i haven't had one since September 3 weeks after I started the medication. However I do have many other neurologic symptoms so I will look into that. I do eat alot of processed foods.

Cindy

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the people who participated in this article at every level are criminals. Perhaps not as defined by any legal construct, but morally and ethically these people are sick. I hope I live long enough to see them suffer as I have.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement