LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » "House" episode and Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "House" episode and Lyme Disease
erin33
Member # 7143

Icon 8 posted      Profile for erin33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching "House" tonight (medical show) and Lyme Disease came up. It was one of the options but the dr. kept repeating during discussion that it could not be lyme because a rash would have shown. I kept yelling at the tv. I am one who did not have a rash and it makes me mad that this ignorance is still out there. after 6 months of being off meds, i have just relapsed. i travel 5 hours to see a dr. and just got in tonight. Amy Tan is an author who has been fighting lyme as well. it takes someone who is someone to help us out. i received a post card from her wishing me luck but nothing else. i would love to know how to contact Fox and tell them about their error in that episode.

angry and upset about relapse

Posts: 10 | From Jonesboro, GA 30236 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I saw it too!

I was 'telling them' from the beginning that "It could be Lyme Disease"...

Well, at least it was mentioned that 'It could be'!!! That's more then some docs say.

And that blew me away when they said'But there is no rash'...aaarrrrgghhhhh!!!

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw the show for like 2 seconds or so but was surprised to hear the doctor say 'Anything that can be transmitted thru blood can be transmitted thru sex'

Thought that was a plus for us??

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep saw it crap! No rash' real cutting edge medical show huh??

Not

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarabear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really just had to chuckle at it, you know. Not only did he say that the rash would have shown multiple times, but insisted that the husband would have noticed, or even remembered given that it was 'late stage lyme' he was referring to. Oh geez...
Posts: 160 | From Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try www.foxnews.com .... or some version of that.

Welcome, Erin!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hikin Mike
Member # 6508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hikin Mike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of my favorite shows. If I remember correctly, that is the second episode that Lyme is mentioned as a possibility. Even though the facts are a bit off, at least the disease is getting some mention.

------------------
-Mike

Posts: 96 | From Atwater, Ca | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch that usually...but missed that one.

Joan of Arcadia, a favorite show of ours, was upsetting when they explained away her conversations with God.....as lyme......

I actually thought the scripts might delve into the disease.....but they didn't.

It would be great if House actually had an episode
about a patient who has lyme.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
once bitten
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually it sounds pretty realistic. Maybe one of the writers had that experience...haven't we all?
but it sounds like they did miss a good chance to bring up the fact that most dont get lyme rash.
ER did a good show with it last year. a mention of it but it was intense. so its IN Hollywood and as soon as it makes it to the big screen...in shows etc...I would give them praise for even mentioning it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
Yep saw it crap! No rash' real cutting edge medical show huh??

[b]Not[/B]

I agree with you, treepat! that's all we need is more misinformation. And that horrendous Joan of Arcadia episode... Where will this mess stop?

[This message has been edited by ping (edited 07 April 2005).]

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firsttwin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firsttwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erin33,

I saw that episode. I am with you and it upset me when Dr. House said that it couldn't be Lyme cause there wasn't any rash but it wasn't his fault. He was just reading his script.

Good idea to get in touch with Fox and correct the writers.

There are more posts that was made on this here: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/033074.html

I will be more that glad to contact Fox. I already had Fox from my area interview my husband and myself. It was a very good interview.

Good luck with your treatment.

Take care.

Maria

Posts: 164 | From Rising Sun, MD, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've mentioned before that I would be nervous is a show like House actually had a patient with Lyme. Because the patients seem to always recover ten minutes after the correct diagnosis.

Here's the Fox feedback email.

General Fox Feedback email:
[email protected]

I'd suggest putting "House" and "Lyme" in the title and noting that many people with Lyme never have, or never notice, the rash.

It might also be good to put some reputable links in, maybe to ILADS or Dr. B's guidelines. Or the Lymenet library : http://library.lymenet.org/domino/file.nsf

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My letter is below:

I am writing in reference to a recent episode of "House" during which Lyme Disease was mentioned as a potential cause of a patient's condition.

I would like to start by thanking the show for recognizing Lyme Disease. However, there was a mistaken reference in the episode that it is important to correct. The episode mentioned Lyme could not be a cause, because the patient did not have a typical rash. According to the CDC, only 80% of Lyme patients ever have the typical rash. Other studies estimate that as few as 40% of people with Lyme ever notice having a rash.

Lyme is a debilitating illness that has impacted millions of Americans. Many patients, such as myself, go years without diagnosis because of the misconceptions of the illness. Misconceptions are both in the public and within the medical community. Many of us have searched years for a doctor like Dr. House, who is willing to think outside of the box and consider causes even when the typical symptoms to do not exist.

I understand the role of a television series is to entertain, but there is also a resposibility not to spread misconceptions. I ask that you please forward this message to the writers and producers of "House." I have also included links to two websites that I recommend consulting prior to future episodes dealing with Lyme.
http://www.ilads.org/
http://library.lymenet.org/domino/file.nsf

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erin33
Member # 7143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erin33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am definately going to write the network. i am grateful that it was mentioned, just inaccurate. we may be getting more recognition. that would be nice.
Posts: 10 | From Jonesboro, GA 30236 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Aniek.......That was a PERFECT letter!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek

Thanks for the email address

I had looked for a way to contact them about Lyme disease about 1-2 months ago and could not, for the life of me, find a way to contact them....

Just sent an email.

Thanks again

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement