LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How far off do you plan a MARCH?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How far off do you plan a MARCH?
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if we have a MARCH how far off in the future do we plan it?

A year from now? This summer?

Any ideas?

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends.

Where do you want to have the march? Is it something you wants statewide, regional or national? How big do you want the march?

A large national march needs a minimum of a year to plan. If there isn't a strong network in place, you my need longer. I knew about the March for Women's Lives 2 years before it happened.

A statewide march can probably be done within a few months...unless you are in a state like NY or CA.

To plan a march you will need to:
plan logistics like getting permits, having water available, security, etc.
get speakers
get out the word
get sponsors to cover costs

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if we wanted a national March we would shot for 2006 at the very least.

Has anyone ever done a march before?

Where do you go to get the permits?

Has anyone thought about contacting DEET to sponsor?

I'm just throwing ideas out.

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington DC or New York city?
Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion - and according to my friends with DC experience - we would really need a large advocacy organiztion to be involved - to help organize it. (Assuming it would be a DC March -- or in our case, a "Crawl, Limp, & Roll" Not enough energy to actually MARCH!!)

From what I've been told - a March is quite an overwhelming undertaking.

I'm not saying that to squash the idea. I'm actually all for it. I just think if we're serious about this, we have to go in with eyes open.

I would suggest that anyone who is serious about doing a March - that you should contact one of the major advocacy groups and press the issue - find out what you can.

If that's not successful - contact some of the other types of activist groups who have conducted successful Marches & find out HOW they accomplished it - see if someone can give you the inside scoop!

I'll help out in any way I can - although I'm staying rather busy working now on a new website - AND learning about advocacy stuff - AND adjusting to Mepron. Yipee.

Keep the ideas flowing....brainstorming is good.

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would we be able to get ILADS involved? Anyone with connections to ILADS?

Perhaps we can start organizing at the Hope to Heal LYme conference in May.

Whose gonna be there? Maybe we could meet for dinner and start to organize?

robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainless
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brainless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're hoping for thousands to attend, it's not likely. The most I've ever seen is hundreds at the NY Burrascano protest in front of the Plaza Hotel. The Blumenthal hearings in CT were attended by about 250. Every other protest I've been to has a hundred attendees, at best. Everyone is too sick, poor or otherwise occupied. It takes energy, money, time and commitment to attend a protest/march. Lyme patients do not have those things in abundance.

b

[This message has been edited by brainless (edited 01 May 2005).]

Posts: 210 | From lalaland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Something I was thinking about this weekend is that people tht could come would carry signs with the names of people too sick to come. Or have little signs with their pictures. What if people gathered signatures and the ones taht could walk carried the signatures--or better yet--letters to the capitol steps.

We don't have to have a lot of people--just a fresh idea that will attract media attention.

Linda

daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 12 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda I agree. Something to represent each person that couldn't attend because they were too sick. Like a highway cone or something we could put thier picture on. That would still show how many people...

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6005

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea Linda. There has to be a way to organize and get media coverage.

Doc. Wiseass, those are good ideas and starting points.

Linda, you have some clever ideas...there has to be a way to actually put something together that would be effective yet feasible.

did i spell that right? my spelling is terrible now that i have lyme ;-(
Sh**! The cognitive/neuro stuff is the killer...i just can't seem to remember words anymore...I feel like I've either lost 50 IQ points or I'm drunk or both!

I'm there with you in spirit! :-)

Posts: 446 | From California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainless
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brainless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note: Signs are not allowed to be attached to anything that could be used as a weapon, such as sticks. Signs are usually carried, put on the backs of wheelchairs etc.

b

Posts: 210 | From lalaland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brainless is right. I've attended several of the rallies that took place around 2000. It was very hard for me to do so, and even harder for other Lyme patients. 400 people is they most anybody ever got (Burrascano/OPMC rally), and the media barely covered it even though it was in Manhattan, which is the US center of the news world.

I don't think marches for *any* cause, right left or center, get the kind of coverage I'm assuming they did in the sixties. It's as if they are old hat. The media has learned to ignore them.

I'd don't have the answer. So far , no one does. But I'll put out a suggestion. Designate a day in the next couple of weeks -- maybe May 24 -- and everybody write an email that they send a number of the different media outlets, politicians and the CDC and NIH. It could be something short, for those who are too tired to write. Something like "It's Lyme Awareness Month -- what are you doing to cover it? To deal with it?" I could put up a post with contact addresses.

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement