LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Do you miss your Father?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you miss your Father?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from church. Someone sang a beautiful rendition of "Daddy's Hands." Really made me miss my dad, who died 12 yrs ago. He was a Lyme/Parkinson's victim....but we didn't know he had Lyme.

I just wanted to give everyone a chance to tell about their fathers today, and why they were special.

My dad was a special man....kind, gentle, and strong. He was a Christian example, for which I am grateful. I loved him very much and really miss him today.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my dad on September 12, 1990 (Jordan's 10th birthday).

He was a dad of 11. My dad had a heart attack and didn't recover from bypass surgery. His doctors said his heart was very damaged from something other than the heart attack which was probably Lyme. He had been diagnosed with Lyme in the 80s, but it was then changed to CFS. He had to retired from farming because of this.

I hope all the fathers on this board have a Happy Father's Day!

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad died 10 days after the Twin Towers fell.

He was a bright fun loving enthusiatic person who was always a bright light in my life until rheumatoid arthritis destroyed him. Was it Lyme?

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also lost my father to Lyme disease.

As I've said many times before, he was mis-diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
Some years later, a LLMD in New Jersey diagnosed Neuroborreliosis (Lyme of the central nervous system).

We attempted treatment, but because of too many complications, including our ignorance of LD & no dr in South Carolina to work with us, his treatment was stopped.
His dementia symptoms gradually got worse & he had to move to a nursing facility.

It was heartbreaking to watch him losing his battle with a "treatable illness".
He died at the age of 85.

I miss him terribly, & at times, feel so guilty that I didn't have the knowledge or opportunity to help him as I could now.
We have to remember that we make decisions based only on the info we have at the time.

He was a kind, generous, gentle man who adored his wife, 2 children, & 6 grandchildren. He would do anything to help others.

In his 20s, he almost lost his life saving a child from drowning.

He didn't realize it, but his having Lyme disease has probably saved lives, too.
Because of his illness, a local dr became interested in Lyme, giving others the chance to get a diagnosis & treatment.

After losing him, I was determined to try to help people learn about Lyme, prevention & treatment, so that other families could be spared the same experience. This led to my work with the Lyme Disease Network of South Carolina. This has been a positive thing that resulted from my father's illness.

With connections in the Lyme community, a mother in North Carolina gave me info that led to my grandson's diagnosis of Lyme disease.
....another positive event from my father's illness.

So today, I remember him & I'm grateful for having had a father who loved us so much & who taught such important lessons by the way he lived.
He was a very special man!! and after 8 years, I still miss him very much.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CA quest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA quest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dad died last fall...a few weeks short of his 91st birthday. He was a gentleman to the end.

He had the finest of Human and Humanistic qualities. He advocated for justice...for ALL humans. He had a wealth of compassion & reason & curiosity. He appreciated the beauty of nature and man's best artistic efforts equally. He was excited up to the end over new scientific unfoldings in almost every field.

In the last week of his life my father soared with exquisite violin music and was pleased and surprised that he could die without pain. He knew that his atoms would continue in the circle of life and he found contentment in that thought.

I loved him.

Quest

[This message has been edited by CA quest (edited 19 June 2005).]

Posts: 101 | From CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Miss Toots for posting this and allowing us to remember our fathers.

And, thank you to those who have shared their love of their fathers with us...it is indeed heart-touching.

I lost my father to cancer when I was 16 and he was only 43.

He was a wonderful father, and even though I had not lived with him since the age of one, I believe he gave all that he could to me and my sister.

His voice resonates in my sub-conscious whenever a special song plays on the radio that he once sang to me...

And then I know beyond any doubt, that he is still watching over me after all these years with tenderness.

My only regret in this life is that I didn't have the opportunity to get to know him well, but I do know in my heart that opportunity will come one day.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,he was the greatest.
He gave to others when they could not provide for their families.
I wish he were with us today,I know he would be a fighter and helper for all of us with Lyme.

Years ago(20 maybe),he helped a man,turned out to be a teacher of my niece,heal from a sickness no one could figure out.My Dad was an ole timey family Doc.The sickness turned out to be Lyme.He was a trained surgeon,but he lost an arm to cancer,so he put his skill to diagnostic work and believing in the patient.

He taught me never to give up and I guess with having Lyme and being close to giving up,he had a huge influence on me.

Love ya DAD!!!

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 10 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing I did this morning when I woke was went to the cemetary. Actually, the most beautiful, peaceful and wonderous place in the world (well, my area anyway)

My father was diagnosied Sept. 2, 1999 (his birthday) with stage iv lymphoma cancer. Not sick a day in his life. He had a back ache for a couple weeks and Mom made him go to doctors. WOW ! He started a round of chemo but it didn't work and he got an infection. By Oct. 16th, he wanted to go home.

We called in Hospice and all 7 of us kids flew to Colorado where Mom and Dad lived. Some of us went the first week and some of us went the 2nd week.

I went the 1st week from the 17th thru the 23rd of October because I had a court hearing to get my children back from my ex-husband who during this difficult time stole my kids during our separation and I couldn't get them back until I got into court October 26.

So I had to say goodbye and couldn't be with him to say the 'real' goodbye when we all knew it was a matter of days. But he made me come home and fight for my girls. I still see him in the chair as I walked rather got carried out to the car so my brother and sister could take me back to the airport to go home.

I said goodbye to my father October 23rd, 1999 and when I woke up on October 29 I felt it and Mom called. He was 78.

My father was the most fabulous, funniest, loved to flirt with all the girls, strongest, loving and now most missed man in my life. I sat at the cemetary this morning for quite awhile because it was beautiful weatherwise and prayed for him to hold me and give me strength.

Lymetoo - I guess you got me back for not helping with the storage unit and making me bring out my emotions in public. But actually, thank you. I could talk about my dad forever but I still ache for his love and hugs and that silly grin. His nick name was Chuckles..... He was awesome.

Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not until I taught school did I find out that some fathers were terrible people....seriously. [I grew up with Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, and other such shows....never saw anything like Cops or shows which showed the real world!!]

When I hear "Daddy's Hands" I do think about and pray for people who were abused by their fathers. It's really sad that some people choose to be that way.

Yes, digirl....I got revenge! Just kidding! I'm glad you posted your story and I hope it was cathartic for everyone. The fact that I'll be losing my mom soon too, makes it even harder for me this year.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement