LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Support Group in Corpus Christi, Texas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Support Group in Corpus Christi, Texas
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello folks from the South Texas area. I go to this site almost every day just to see what other folks are having to deal with. This is an appeal for your support. If this does not get any replies, then I am going to go for an ad in the local newspapers.

I will tell you a bit about myself. I am 48, married, female, contracted Lyme in Feb. of 2003. My profession is a wildlife biologist although I am not working at this time.

I don't know how many people in the Coastal Bend have Lyme disease, although I have heard at least from different sources, about 8-9 people. I am sure there are more.

This is my second post on this subject. I would be thrilled and happy to organize a support group here in the Corpus Christi area. I believe my church would allow me their facilities for us to meet.

I will be totally honest with you, I need the support as well. I used to work really hard, and loved my job. I was an endangered species biologist. Now you know where the little bugger got me. I was counting endangered plants in Starr County, Texas, near the Rio Grande.

I need to help others with this disease if I can, and if starting a support group helps me help you, than I would feel I have a purpose, because right now I am feeling pretty useless.

If you would please email me, and let me know if you are interested, I would really appreciate this kindness.

Protocol for the meeting you ask: Let's see what happens when we meet, and we can discuss it. I will get the materials from LDA or ILADs on support groups and we can discuss the protocol.

My family owns a house at Lake Corpus Christi that we can go to for outings just for the day or the weekend. It's cheap. We can talk Lyme or not. We can swim, barbeque, sing stupid songs, etc. I would not at all mind sponsoring this first group outing. I am sure my family will help. They are lovely wonderful Christian folk, who are a lot of fun.

Please allow me to do this for you and in turn you will be doing me a great favor, having purpose.
Loretta

------------------

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea Loretta! My inlaws live on a ranch near Alice. Hope you get things going down there.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

LymeToo, Where's Alice in Texas?

Anywhere by Houston?

Would I pass by on the way to South Padre Island?( where a relative**not a super close relative, though** just bought a condo)

Passed some nice ranches on the way down

Took the tour of the King Ranch--very interesting

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Yankee, Alice is a small farming community about an hour from Corpus Christi. My dad grew up there. Sorry it is not near Houston, probably the same distance from Corpus Christi to Houston as it is from Alice to Houston.
I hope you checked yourself for ticks when you went to the King Ranch.
It is an interesting place isnt it. I would have loved to do some environmental work there.
How was South Padre?

Lymetoo, who are your relatives, they may be mine too as I come from a long line of Czech and German folks who farmed this area for years?
Loretta Schanen PRessly

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Loretta is right, YIB. It's west of CC about 40 miles. My inlaw's ranch is about 30 minutes from the King Ranch.

Loretta, I'll tell you their name in private email. They probably know your folks! They are full-blooded German like me.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Who knows Lymetoo, I may have wandered your folks ranch looking for endangered species at one time or the other. There are several plant species that have been found on the King ranch that are listed as endangered or threatened or very rare.
Dont worry, I know what it is like to have a rare plant or animal on private land, I understand, my father and mother's family were farmers. You dont need to tell me where, but when i get better maybe we can talk.

Dont let that last sentence scare you from talking to me. I am a very liberal conservationist and understand the plight of ranchers and farmers when it comes to the federal government.
Loretta

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought about contacting the newspaper or other media outlet to do a story about lyme disease? Use your own case maybe, since they always seem to want a personal story to hang these things on. Or approach it from the point of view of summer being more hazardous for tickborne diseases because more outdoor activities. An educate-the-public article.

Then you could make your pitch for starting a support group. And give contact info. My guess is that a local story might turn up more takers than lymenet. I would love to come but out of state as are many lymenetters. Isn't Charlie around there somewhere? Maybe he knows other lymies.

What I have noticed about support groups is that they tend to peter out after a while because the group leader burns out, or because they run out of things to do except moan and groan, and nobody wants to do that forever. Also, newbies come and get help and then disappear. My feeling is that maybe an informal network, where people stay in touch, and provide help for newbies, is as important as attending support group meetings every month.

Our local group disbanded before I came to town. Now there's no one to contact when we need political action. There are two other groups but involves a long drive, which my bad back precluded for a long time. And now I don't want to be driving after dark, because eyesight damage. These groups seem to mainly be interested in people who attend meetings, but not everyone can get to meetings. Need to keep the ties to others, even if they don't come to meetings, or only once in a while.

Guess what I am saying is that we need to have people with even an informal network to help with things. Nice of you to volunteer. Hope you are able to get something going.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Thanks for all the geographical info, guys!!

King Ranch was pretty darn interesting--and I think that I was covered for exposure to TDB's with the ole' skin so soft flea and tick repellent, which also contained sunscreen

Alot of us with a german genotype with Lyme here on Lymenet?? Or is it just my imagination?

Padre Island was very nice

[This message has been edited by yankee in black (edited 22 June 2005).]

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement