LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Noise Sensitivity! Feel Helpless, Anyone relate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Noise Sensitivity! Feel Helpless, Anyone relate?
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Everyone, I'm really exasperated because it seems whenever I've finally been catching and actually holding on to some feelings of hope (which came from who knows where ) this noise sensitivity, that is one of my symptoms, totally knocks me down (but unfortunately not completely senseless).

I have these neighbors living very physically close to me, with 5-6 kids and for 5-6 hours of the day they do nothing but yell and scream louder than I'm sure a great deal of people would be able to if their lives depended on it. If I'm exaggerating its only very slightly. I've even developed mild tinnitus (at 20 yrs old) for some reason or another. However when I mention it to my family they make it sound like I am totally overreacting (most of the time). There also is one member of my family with a chronic medical ailment, who seems to view yelling about it as some kind of catharatic release... if its not one person yelling its someone else.

Whenever these happens I close all the doors and windows to my room till its a boiler, but the noise is still very loud and it disturbs the very little concentration I have. For that reason, it makes me feel very helpless, ... I can't even think about the kind of goals you do just to get through a day, and even if I am able I am in a state of constant irritation and just wishing I had Peace so I could use the very little concentration I do have and not end up feeling like time is just slipping by me and totally hopeless.

It's so maddening, because losing my ability to concentrate robs me of whatever fragile hope I've been able to develop. (sorry I've said that about 3 times )

Anyhow, not sure if I'm posting for sympathy or empathy or just to get it out. But sorry for all the venting.

Take Care,

john

[This message has been edited by sunnyslumber (edited 02 July 2005).]

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunnyslumber: this noise sensitivity that is one of my symptoms totally knocks me down (but unfortunately not completely senseless).

If I hadn't experienced it myself I would have never understood how horrible this particular symptom is. Many of us on Lymenet understand, but it is hard to get "normals" to comprehend it. I think noise sensitivity is ,for me, almost as disabling as fatigue and more disabling than pain. I wish I had some good suggestions.

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymerayja
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymerayja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear John,

What you are experiencing is a very common symptom of Lyme, and that symptom alone os enough to drive anyone up the wall, especially if they are living with people who don't understand.

If it's any comfort to you, mine spontaneously disappeared one day, even though I was not on any antibiotics at the time.

Your family think you're exaggerating about the noisy neighbours because to them it's not that noisy. You could ask them (one day when you're not in the room!) to turn the TV up to max and see how they like it. The explain that this is how it feels for you all the time.

I can't really offer you any other advice than to seek out a Lyme-literate doctor (if you haven't got one already). Are you in any position to move somewhere else? If you are in your own place, however small, you can control the noise level in your immediate surroundings, and you could seek out a place with old people or other quiet neighbours adjacent.

Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by sunnyslumber:
Dear Everyone, I'm really exasperated because it seems whenever I've finally been catching and actually holding on to some feelings of hope (which came from who knows where ) this noise sensitivity that is one of my symptoms totally knocks me down (but unfortunately not completely senseless).
....john

Posts: 284 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lymeinfo.net/hyperacusis.html

------------------
Lyme Disease Information By Email:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lymeinfo/
Lyme Disease Information Online:
http://www.lymeinfo.net

Posts: 1547 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I have this, and a heightened startle reflex. Hate loud sudden noises. And my husband is a loud sneezer. And had a persistant cough after a cold this winter-- harsh, dry cough. Drove me crazy. Drove him crazy too, because when I could see him winding up I'd put my hands over my ears.
Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ear plugs . . . try wearing ear plugs. Worked for me sometimes, but not with the tinnitis. They sometimes made the source sound more like it was inside my brain than my ears. Worth a try though.
Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, man, I can SO relate.

Noise drives me up the wall.

My family mocks me for it constantly, too. I let them. Though if I'm really cross it will annoy me.

I use fans -- at all times of the year -- to help drown out noise - the bathroom fan helps.

Make people turn down the TV, or turn it off if not watching.

I have to watch the microwave and before it DINGS, rush over and turn it off -- it startles me so badly even tho I KNOW it's going to do it.

I sometimes have to ask people to talk more softly as some people are too loud for me. People look at me really strangely for this so I mumble some excuse.

Hope you are able to insulate yourself somehow from your loud surroundings and have a little quiet in your head...

Michelle M

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning John,

Ear plugs helped me as well. Especially at night when I could hear things like a dog barking down the valley, or a faucet dripping downstairs.

I use to have a neighbor that must have worked at a bar or something, because at precisely 2:25 every morning...his roosters would start to crow! This would set off my roosters crowing as well !

So...I would have to reach over to my nightstand and put in my ear plugs every single night at that time.

Now that I think of it...you would think that I would have remembered to put in the earplugs BEFORE I went to bed.

Oh well, it is funny how the lyme-brain works at times...or doesn't work .

The startle reflex is a bit more difficult to control, but I found that if I turned down the volume on my laptop and phones, and asked people not to come up behind me...then I would jump out of my seat far less often.

Concentration is a big problem with TBDs anyway, but I do understand how it is made much worse with constant interruptions.

It does get better with time though, so hang in there.

My best,
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Melanie Reber (edited 03 July 2005).]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES. I have this problem too. I find if I can get to a quiet place I recover and start to feel human again.

When the gardners come, I leave home.

I have tried ear plugs at times.

I have asked the neighbors to stop screaming or turn the music down, etc. I have two quiet neighbors and one noisey one.

I can close the windows and turn the air on. This helps.

The biggest thing that helps is to get to a quiet place before it gets so bad I can't move or think.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I totally relate to this one. Glad Cheryl posted her sound link from her site for you. I learned a lot other day when reading it.

I have tried talking also to the "guilty" parties who just do this to rattle my cage!

I have used suggestions others gave you as well.

I have worn also the construction type head gear & full of puff cotton balls.

If you can move, do and check out the next neighborhood better so you won't get a worse place than you do now.

NOTE: I'm now able to sleep with my windows open until the neighbor's 2 drag-racing/stock car racers get into their super souped up cars w/dragster mufflers! So that is progress.

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can so relate. Certain noises would drive my nuts. One of my favorite sounds is wind chimes. A few years ago when I was at my worst with this lyme crap, wind chimes became my worst enemy. I would tape them up to stop the noise.

Now I'm able to enjoy wind chimes again. Hey here's an idea. You could use duct tape on your neighbors mouths. They could continuing playing and you could get well.

It would be so strange because only certain sounds would drive me crazy. And then some sounds would scare the daylights out of me.

It gets better,

Pam

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no2lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no2lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
honestly the startle and sound sensitivities have been so awful. I also have the ringing of bells in the ears. During a herx it is like that church bell ringing choir...

I even have to turn off all things plugged in at night to sleep. Even the refrigerator running would make me crazy.

I ride in the back seat of my friends car and they play the radio. But it is so loud to me and I had to say look it makes me physically sick when then things are at a certain sound level. They looked at me like I was nuts. Loud neighbors, leaf blowers, kids, my own dogs...but it does get better.

I really suggest white noise headsets. That helped me a lot. Boise has a good set. I even went to home depot and got the construction headgear, at least then all I heard was the ringing in my head.

Good luck, but the best thing is to tell people. Keep telling them till they understand.

Posts: 152 | From On Horseback | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some Brahms intermezzos would help. I hope you feel better soon.

Are you by chance on ...'flagyl'... (metronidazole)? It has been known to have the effect you describe. If that's the case, a switch to tinidazole may help (it has a similar function; to break up lyme cysts, but does not have that side effect)..
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for so much good advice and that great link! Sorry to not respond back until today, as these last few days I've felt like I just couldn't get my mind to start running.

I am grateful that I do have have a good llmd. However I just heard the medical board of our state is going after her which is awful.

I'll try the white-noise and noise-silencing headphones, and just being more persistant in asking at least the members of my family to be quieter & to not get loud all of a sudden, which still must make me look like a grouch.

Sometimes I wish I could move, but I surely don't have the finances to do so, which makes that out of the question for me.

One of the downsides of headphones/earmuffs for me, seems to be they seem to make the ear ringing more prominent even though they do cut down on noise a little. Thanks for the idea about stuffing them with cotton, never thought of that, maybe it will help them work better!

HaplyCarlessdave, interestingly enough I Was on flagyl (metrondiazole) for a period of a few weeks but it seemed to cause a lot of side-effects like problems with attention, thrush, some tingling & the ear ringing, which hasn't totally subsided and I've been off it for at least 3 weeks now.

Also. forgot to mention I also feel pain from time to time in the ear which is mostly responsible for the ear ringing, which is also something that didn't happen before, but I don't know what it means. The ringing also gets worse when I yawn, on that one side.

Does anyone know if those effects from flagyl are related to its killing lyme, or coinfections, or just a side-effect of the drug? It seemed to me there was a good enough chance that they could be just a side-effect of the drug for me to want to stop taking it.

Also if ear ringing was a side-effect for me, I wonder if the hyperacusis is also somehow related? I know I had it before, but it doesn't seem like to this extent. Does anyone know how long such side-effects would take to dissippate?

Anyhow, thanks much for everyone your encouragement~ Like you guys said, hopefully a relatively quick and complete treatment will provide the best method for dealing with this symptom also.

Oftentimes to me, it seems like one of the most ridiculous, bathotic, things in the world that such a great part of our beings and our capabilities for noble actions, resides so completely in our bodies which may be so easily attacked & wrecked by disease and hence those capabilities so effortlessly thwarted...

I suppose considering it that way, it's easy to see why for such a very long time people saw existence as a dichotomy of body and mind... that they would see the mind, and our being, which possess such an innate potential for "highness" and the body, which is so oftentimes rendered dysfunctional or grotesque, as two separate entities.

I guess we have a small degree of escape from this in that the good portions of ourselves we were able to use or express often can have good effects on others which can outlast our physical deaths, for at least a little while.

It does feel very sad that such a potentially great thing should be so tightly chained to such a weak thing. Very Un"natural." But all these thoughts have to pass through my mind so they are probably reduced to unintelligible mumbling, anyhow, as it is.

Much Thanks

------------------
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
--James D. Miles

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother in law picked up on this and purposely made sounds that bothered me. Especially in the car. Rustling crinkly candy wrappers drives me nuts.

Oh and don't get me started on smells.....

Yuck.
Heather

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOMETIMES the noise/sound sensitivity and smell sensitivities are from yeast....yep, good ole yeast.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with CFIDS say that Klonopin really helps with this symptom. You don't need a huge dose for during the day time, taking only 1/4 to 1/2 tab.

Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnbitter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnbitter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what I'd do without my ipod. I wear it everywhere...I get to control what I listen to and it blocks the screaming of small children reasonably well as well as the hundreds of other awful noises that compromise a day.
Posts: 207 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the club, its annoying isnt it? I use Mack's earplugs at night, and a tempurpedic eye mask that blocks out all light. I also have an aquarium near me thats like white noise. This stuff does calm down over time with good treatment. Hang in there!

------------------

WildCondor's Lymelinks

http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks

My Lyme Story
http://www.wildcondor.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement