LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme Support on Capitol Hill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Support on Capitol Hill
lymelighter2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6953

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lymelighter2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the response to a letter our group sent to the Honorable Tammy Baldwin, requesting her support for H.R. 2877, The ALERT Act.

It is great to see Lyme being taken seriously by someone on Capitol Hill. Please take a moment and thank Ms. Baldwin with a personal note so she can see just how many lyme patients she is affecting with her support.

Please write your Congresspersons and Senators, because they really do get and read their emails....

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Thank you!

PJ Langhoff www.Sewill.org
SE WI & IL Lyme Leagues

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 10:48 AM
Subject: A message from Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin

July 11, 2005

Dear Ms. Langhoff,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 2877, the Act for Lyme Education and Research and Tick-Borne Diseases (ALERT
Act). I am happy to hear from you.

I share your concern regarding Lyme disease. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), in 2002, there were 23,763 reported cases of Lyme disease. Ninety-five percent of these cases occurred in just 12 states, including Wisconsin. As you know, within days to weeks following a tick bite, most victims will have a rash, accompanied by general tiredness, fever, headache, stiff neck, muscle aches, and joint pain. If untreated, weeks to months later some patients may develop arthritis, neurologic abnormalities, and, rarely, cardiac problems.

The ALERT Act was introduced by Representative Christopher Smith (R-NJ) on June 14, 2005. This legislation would provide for the expansion and intensification of efforts for prevention, education, and research activities with respect to Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, including the establishment of a Tick-Borne Diseases Advisory Committee. This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am a member. Please be assured that I will support this bill should it come before me in committee.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. Your opinion matters to me. If I can be of service to you in any other way, please do not hesitate to let me know. As a result of the anthrax incidents, all mail sent to Congress is first irradiated. This process causes significant delays. To ensure the fastest response, I encourage all constituents who have access to the internet to contact me through my website at http://tammybaldwin.house.gov.

Sincerely,
Tammy Baldwin
Member of Congress
1022 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

10 E. Doty Street
Suite 405
Madison, WI 53703

400 E. Grand Avenue
Suite 402
Beloit, WI 53511
www.tammybaldwin.house.gov

Posts: 139 | From A tiny little home office in the middle of Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently attended an event where people were talking about advocacy with our elected representatives.

They told us that when you send a letter to your representative, that is counted as 480 voting constituents who have the same opinion!

They figure most people can't be bothered to write, and the approximate ratio is that one person writes a letter for every 480 who think that way. When your letter gets counted, it counts 480 times!!!!

They talked about legislators bringing out binders filled with letters from constiuents supporting a particular piece of legislation, and how important those letters where in countering any lobbying from the other side.

So if you feel like writing isn't worth it, think again!!

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riversinger (edited 12 July 2005).]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You Paula!!! Good response, too!

And thanks, to you, riversinger!!!(very interesting...)

and...for lighting the fire under me again!!!

I'm on it!!
480 more voting constituents here!
laserred

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laserred
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laserred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit to delete double post...

but still do...
Have a great day!
laserred

[This message has been edited by laserred (edited 12 July 2005).]

Posts: 493 | From MidWest NorthWoods | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her email site will only accept mail from her district - or Wisconsin...........so writing her (stamp and letter) is a good thing.

Do we know how many/and who else is on the committee???????

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelighter2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelighter2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valymemom: I will write Ms. Baldwin and find out! Thanks for asking!

And thanks to everyone else who is replying!

There is strength in numbers, especially when multiplied by 480!

PJ Langhoff

quote:
Originally posted by valymemom:
Her email site will only accept mail from her district - or Wisconsin...........so writing her (stamp and letter) is a good thing.

Do we know how many/and who else is on the committee???????

Posts: 139 | From A tiny little home office in the middle of Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

They do count one person as 480, so write your rep.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement