LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » divorce

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: divorce
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of you out there have spouses who are not supportive, or are outright belittling, about Lyme disease you and your kids have?

I have just kicked my husband out. I am seriouslly thinking of filing for divorce next week. I can't stand it anymore, and I feel a responsiblity to shield my sick daughter from the belittling behavior of my husband.

I'm sick, too, and the extensive problems of my daughter along w/my neuro problems have made it hard for me to earn an income for ten years.

So, I am really scared about money. My son is going to college, my other daughter dances, and I was just applying to go back to school myself. Medical care for my middle child is expensive, esp. now that we are finally using some alternative stuff. I will have to work now, but have been out of the workforce for 19 years and am in my mid-50's, w/only two years of college. I'm feeling very anxious.

Many of you know our story, but I will just say that my daughter has had many and varied health problems since the age of 3, in 1993. Including asthma/frequent pneumonias, then type 1 diabetes, then orthopedic surgeries for congenital problems, then Lyme/autoimmune illness w/joint and muscle pains, headache, psychosis, seizures, low thryoid, then GI problems, then severe fluid retention, very low cortisol/adrenal function...it goes on and on.

I have handled all this COMPLETELY by myself. My husband would belittle me in the asthma years ("don't you think you are overreacting") despite the fact that MD's HOSPITALIZED her. He criticized my conscientious care of her diabetes, because with good care, life is DIFFICULT. Who ever promised that life would be easy?

He doesn't believe in Lyme, and according to him, LLMD's are quacks. He doesn't believe in the endocrinologist either (who is on the Board of JDRF and travels all over the world helping diabetic kids), or many of the doctors we are using.

He does no research or reading, hasn't gone otoany appointments, and doesn't participate in blood sugar tests or any other type of care, but knows better than anyone what the real story is!

He seems to think that this is all just a psychological problems on the part of my daughter, that I am buying into. My daughter harbors a huge amount of rage at him, which may be why he thinks she has psychological problems! (I think her 3 month psychosis on tetracycline may have permanently influenced his view of her. She's the sanest person I know otherwise.)

When I write this, I think: folks on Lymenet must wonder why I am with this person and why I have stayed. Twenty-three years ago, we worked together for five years in a large homeless shelter, and got along famously. He reads a lot and had a lot of interesting experiences before we met.

But as soon as medical problems arose in our house, it's been all downhill.

He grew up with a mother who had medical issues and I think they affected his ability to get his own needs met. My personal theory is that he is reacting to a family life that resembles his childhood, with me as the mother who still won't give him what he needs. I have tried to forgive him on this basis, and have tried to be more attentive to his needs, but the hypercriticism continues.

This is a really, reallly personal situation to put on Lymenet, but I am wondering if any of you out there are dealing with something like this. Chronic illness often causes marital problems and divorce.

I am really past the point where I can live with these attitudes. The pain of ilving with this man may be draining me of some of the energy I might need to get well. I have been on antibiotics for 5 years now.

And the children are actually happier with him gone, which is sad.

My three children are aged 13-19 and all have wonderful interests that absorb them, and I think they contribute a lot to their school and community. They do dance, theater, tv production, computers, music, are great students. etc.etc. I am proud of who they are, and enjoy them tremendously.

I have essentially raised them myself. I am so tired sometimes, and no amount of amantadine and minocylcine is going to help me with this situation!

I would appreciate any encouraging words as I try to free myself (and to some extent my children) from what truly amounts to oppression. My idea had been to make it to the end of childrearing (and paying for kids' colleges)and then leave, but I don't feel like I can stand it anymore.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

I'm so sorry you have to deal with sickness, and a husband who doesn't understand!

Remember, if mom ain't happy nobody's happy!
Your sick, and dealing with sick kids, and his belittling is not healthy for you or those kids!

I do understand the money issues, but sometimes you wonder is it worth me and my dignity and what little health I have...
OR put up with his crap!

You have to make that decision yourself, but make sure your emotions are in tact before you do anything!

I'm fortunate enough so far to have a very supportive s.o.. I often wonder why he puts up with it! Says it's cause he loves me!

What ever you decide, you always have us for emotional support,but as far as money...most of us, are in the same boat!

I hope everything works out one way or the other so both you and your kids can be happy! We all know what stress does to the immune system,and you don't need stress added to it!

Remember, I'm not Dr. Phylis, just someone who cares!

Kimmi_K_75
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimmi_K_75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lyddie,

I am so sorry your in the situation you are in. It seems to me from what I've read that he has BEEN gone. Even though you just threw him out.
From what I read, He is only dragging you down at this point, and if you planned on leaving after the kids were grown any way, then that decision was already made.

If you truly believe that there is no hope in him turning around. Not to mention how he is affecting you & your children, then there does not seem to be anything salvagable.

I wish you all the luck in the world
-Kimmi
Just keep swimming!

Posts: 251 | From East Greenville pa, usa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses and support!

After rereading my post, I just want to add that I am not at all overwrought or anything. In fact, I have never felt calmer in my life. We're just ahvinga normal Sunday, only a little more reaxed w/out him here.

I am just anxious about the money side of things, and the changes that will bring.

And curious to hear from others who have had marital issues due to illness. it is supposedly very common.

dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry you're going through this, but reading about your hubby, you're right, I did think why would you want to be with a person like that. It'll be hard on your own, but it sounds like you could also do without the belittling and invalidation.

Maybe with kicking him out, he will get a wake up call and perhaps the relationship will be salvagable then.

All the best
DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feels good, doesn't it?

To know, that when you feel like being sick, giving in and hitting the sheets, you can.

That when you know, deep down in your heart, that you are sick, you are.

And that when you want peace , you can get it.

Along with winning ourselves back from this disease, some of us find us having to win ourselves back from a man ( or a woman) that stole pretty much everything; right down to compassion, understanding, and heck, sometiems our smiles.
Yes, I have been there.

May I suggest: alimony and child support. Take him for all he got. The full amount you are due, GET IT. This includes pensions, retirements, IRA, 401(k), medical insurance.

GET IT. And keep him out. I found that the one thing that was keeping me sick was my fiance. I also have kids.

I grew up, got out, and slowly took my life back. And , I practically went into remission.

I know how scary this is though. Trust me. With kids, and money, its a whole different ballgame.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go talk to a very good divorce attorney and see where you stand before deciding anything. Be prepared.

It all comes down to money in the end, doesn't it?

My spouse likes to pretend Lyme doesn't exist too.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 9 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie,

I am so sorry to hear of your relationship problems. It is difficult to live with illness in the family.

Despite my having Lyme, my husband is very ill and can't interact much with the family. I find myself getting upset with him for his lack of involvement. Then I feel so terrible for having those feelings. As I am far from the pefect spouse dealing with my illness issues.

Crazy, huh?

He is understanding now about my inability to function "normally." But it wasn't always that way.

It wasn't until he joined in sessions with my counselor (back around 1990?) that he started to "get" that he had to let up in his demands on me as a wife, mother, and home maker.

So then he at least was trying. But, unfortunately, it wasn't until he got very, very ill and then hit with major depression (1998) and he truly realized what I had been dealing with for all those years.

He then apologized to me for his not understanding.

Is family counseling an option? Or is the situation past the point of return?

So sorry. Try to hang in there regardless of how things turn out.

------------------
Tabby

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

You are all very eloquent, thank you. Crime, thank you for sharing with me your experience. I will reread it many times.

This has been more than 20 years. DLL, people can change a lot in that time. I also know of spouses who were good partners, then something like cancer came up, and they deserted. You can't always know.

We have done counseling at different junctures and I have been told more than once that he is "limited" in certain ways.

I am pretty forgiving and if someone has some insights into a wrong they have committed, and some remorse, things can be worked out. I try to do the same. This effort at being "forgiving" can go too far though, and I am trying to have more respect for myself and my self-sufficiency, even if I am sick.

I lived alone for 15 years before I met this man, and was very independent. I already do everything here. So that's why, folks, it just comes down to money. I talked with a lawyer a few years ago who assured me I would get alimony, and that the kids would not have to stop what they are doing (dancing, guitar, college).

But my husband is in social work , albeit administration, and it can be hard even with one household on his salary.

There are things out there though. I just read about colleges serving older divorded women w/kids, some of which have appts. and scholarships. Maybe things will happen.

Thanks so much.

minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie, so sorry to hear it.

All I can say is this: As sick as you are, you're clearly a capable woman with excellent judgement and great common sense. Trust those qualities and do right by yourself.

Lots of hugs to help get you through this hard time and back into the sunlight.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

first,get a plan of action.
get some kind of employment to get some savings.

talk with womens' shelters, organizations, about a plan of action; ask these organizations steps to take? (rhet. quest.)

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

ret. to school? start with 1-2 courses at a time, just to get adjusted to academic demands.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Lyddie --

I haven't been around as much but just saw this.

I'm sorry for all the strains you have had to bear, and really impressed with how well you have handled all of them.

You're daughters I'm sure are so full because of it.

What stands out in your posts, and one of the comments you made that you spoke to an attorney years ago..

is that it seems you have known this for some time, maybe known in your heart.

I was in a very draining relationship some time ago --
and I'll never forget a maggage/healer woman who did some body-work on me when I had taken a trip to a country lake/motel on a mountain to get away from this man for just a weekend so I could think straight..
it was really hard to see clearly in the middle of it all even tho I knew it in my heart.

she said

"it doesn't matter if you and your son have to eat peanut butter sanwiches every day, there is nothing more valuable than your happiness"

While I think you should sit down and look at money matters..organize, ect.

School and living expenses at the least are both parent's responsibilities.

but don't be frightened. There are ways to work this out....and if there is a burden lifted from you in one area, you may be surprised
how things balance out in another.

You should not have to bear all this responsibility for so long, and not be cherished for it by the man in your life.
In my opinion.

and as for the huuzzzzzzzzzzbnd...

Kick him to the curb and squeeze him dry !!

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 08 August 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

I e-mailed a professor I had 20 years ago and she is letting me finish a paper I couldn't get to back then (due to a problem pregnancy). This saves me $800, puts me back in a position to do a little tutoring at the state U., and cleans up my transcript. I am amazed at her caring response and her eagerness to read my paper and help me!

The State U is far away but maybe finishing there and working there will end up being possible.

Tonight I was in Cambridge, taking my daughter to a dance class. I went to get her and was a little early, so I walked around the block. I ran into a woman I haven't seen in 30 years, who was a tremendous source of support for me when I was in my early 20's (she's older).

I had no idea where she was living or anything...last time I saw her was in Vt. it really seemed almost like a sign!

Tomorrow, my older daughter goes in for more testing of her adrenal function. Mo and anyone else who has heard my daughter's saga, the leaky gut is only part of the picture. They did more than 20 tests on her adrenal gland and they are ALL dramatically low. The MD said she's getting through the day on will power alone. This also affects her diabetes big time, which is another reason things have been so difficult.

This medical picture is so complicated, I don't know it it will ever get unravelled.

But not having my husband around while preparing for the test is such a relief.

Thanks so much for all the kind words. I love pb&j's, pasta too!

cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always found that one of the greatest tragedies that people have to face is a nonsupportive spouse. There is so much stress with being sick, then to have someone who professed love 'in sickness and in health; till death do you part', reniged on those promises.

First off, I have to say, Lyddie, that I sensed no worry or fear in your post - but a very strong person that wants what is best for her family. I give you lots of credit for that - and you and your kids will be just fine. My reaction to giving him the boot was 'you go, girl'! LOL! I'm not a spouse basher, but there really is no place in your house for someone who has lied about their marriage vows and is not a parent to their children.

First order of business is to find an attorney - there are a lot that will work on a sliding scale, if funds are tight right now. But make sure your kids get support and you get alimony. That they have medical coverage, and that their father is held financially responsible for them.

cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie, You wrote:

>"There are things out there though. I just read about colleges serving older divorded women w/kids, some of which have appts. and scholarships. Maybe things will happen"

I like to read that too-can you point me to it?

Thanks,

janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie,
I am so very sorry about what you are going thru..You have already had more than enough..I will continue to keep you in my prayers.
I also have a major type 1 question..Could you please email me. I do not like to post due to a previous problem..lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 10 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew Lyddie!!

Sounds like you were living in hell. I know, cause I lived there too. Maybe we were neighbors.

I kicked my spouse out back in February 2003.

I'm still married for insurance purposes.

Many of my friends thought my health would improve if I got rid of my mentally ill spouse.

I'm not going to go into any gory details but I'm going to be perfectly honest with you.

If push came to shove and I had absolutely no choice I'd have him move back home.

I'm to ill to work and barely make ends meet. I'll be starting IV's soon and am not sure how that will work financially.

I think we might be in the same situation. It's very hard to choose between your self-respect and peace of mind or your physical health.

Course another option for me is to move back in with my mother for awhile which I might do.

Anyways, this long separation from my spouse has been a real God send for me. Stress level is way lower.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 6152 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

aklnwlf, thanks for the realistic post...

I thought that I would feel better with my husband out of the house, but I have gotten much worse in a week. I am having trouble typing. I can barely feel my hands. I have to retype everything three times. My sun sickness came back, and my paresthesias are burning the way they did 3 years ago.

I do not miss him at all. Not at all. It is a relief to have him out of the house. I am just exhausted. He did help with shopping, dishes, laundry, did the dump, helped drive the 3 kids, mowed the lawn. He didn't participate at all in the emotional life of the house, or take responsibility for anything at all, but he would do chores as I asked.I am overwhelmed with physical work that I am not up to.

Last week I had a lot of energy! And hope. I pictured a cozy household w/out negative energy draining us. This is true: things are much better w/out him. But I am so much sicker. I feel completely flattened by the physcial demands of our household. I didn't realize I was still this bad.

I e-mailed my husband to ask if he would consider counseling with my daughter (and me, perhaps) and he said yes.

No matter how hard life is, I can't imagine having him here w/out some improvements in his attitudes. I wish I were healthy!

[This message has been edited by Lyddie (edited 10 August 2005).]

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 10 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lyddie,

Wow, sounds like things are really tough right now for you.

I'm still separated from my spouse but ask for as much help as I can. Sometimes he'll cut the grass and help me with shopping.

Counselling sounds like a great idea for you and yours. Many spouses won't even attempt to go so I think it's a good sign.

Again to be perfectly honest with you, I also had some good ole Lyme rage thrown into the marriage before the separation and I'd go off for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying this is the case for you but it sure was for me.

I seemed to loose the ability to de-esculate arguments.

If I end up requiring more care than me and my extended family can manage the option of more help from my spouse is a possibility.

Hang in there my friend. You're not alone. Quite a few of us have marital issues similar to yours.

I'm praying for you all!

Posts: 6152 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Thanks again. I'm quite a bit physically better tonight.

Re Lyme rage, I have been pretty together the last few years, emotionally. Before I started abx 5 years ago, I would have trouble snapping out of either anger or depression. So I know what you mean. Actually, I have wondered if my husband might have Lyme. His anger kind of smolders but is sort of constant.

I think that the issues I have are sort of like my friend who developed cancer, and her husband got angry at her! This happens more than a lot of people think.
I'm not picking on gender either, it could be the other way around.

My husband has agreed to help with some stuff, but doesn't want to do counseling. He was willing to come to someone elses's counselor. The problem with that is he is the one who needs it!

I'm gonna give the separation more time and see if I can manage. The house feels so much better!

I hope you can manage to continue w/your situation as is, and can maintain choice about who you live with. Better health to everyone!

Luthien
Member # 7132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luthien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie,

Sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through this. She is fortunate to have such a devoted mother.

If your husband is constantly demeaning and belittling you and your daughter, that is emotional and psychological abuse. It is not only cruel but also very damaging, especially to a girl whose self-image is dependant on the messages she gets from the father figure in her life.

My father was extremely abusive in this manner and to this day I am still recovering from the effects. If my mother had had the strength and willigness to leave him and protect us kids from that infuence I am sure we would have been better off.

And it is incredibly disappointing and hurtful to have a spouse or partner treat you like that in a time of need. I guess you find out someone's true character in times like that.

Lyme is hard enough to deal with, but who needs that kind of abuse and stress? Often it is stress that triggers flare-ups because it stresses the immune system. In the meantime being continuously subjected to that abuse is taking a toll, it really is.

From my own experience I can say that staying in bad relationships with people who were demeaning and belittling causes terrible stress which affects your health.(guess where I learned to put up with that behavior? Girls who grow up subjected to that kind of abuse from their fathers often end up in similar relationships with men, it also sets the stage for physical abuse- having a strong mother who won't tolerate it shows daughters how to be strong and to have self-esteem).

It sounds like you are doing the right thing and it's bound to be scary because it's a big change. But really I believe that when you're doing the right thing that somehow things will work out. You're obviously a very resourceful and capable person to have managed so well already.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie
You are in my prayers!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
am36
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for am36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi
I'm new here, and I know the original post is from nearly a year ago.

I am very sick right now, but have said a million times that my husband's lack of support and lack of respect for my boundries with this illness is a thousand times worse than the illness.

Thank you for posting this discussion, I feel less alone.

Posts: 169 | From former Philadelphian | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
am good luck..If you are in a place where Lyddie is, I hope things work out..She dropped off the board and I would so love to know how she is doing..Our daughters had similiar problems..

And to be honest it is hard on so many here to keep going..So hang in there..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme can really mess reationships up.

My wife is divorcing me because she thinks I don't have any tick borne illness, that I'm faking or making myself ill, and the Bell's palsy is caused by a virus. She soes believe that I need treatment for depression.

I have been married to her for just over a year. I also have an ex and we were divorced 2 1/2 years ago. My 4 adoptive kids are with my ex and I don't get to see the kids very often.

I'm concerned that my ex and/or my wife may also have Lyme. I think my dad, who is now deceased, had Lyme. It gets scary and lonely.

I had probably over 100 tick bites last summer, but am now thinking that I had an infection for years.

It was about 7 or 8 years ago that a chriopractor told me that I had an infection in my blood. I tried to starve it by going on the Atkins diet. It did make me feel terrible for longer than the book said it would, but then I seemed to feel better for a couple of years.

My first LLMD appt. is scheduled in one month.

Pigwit

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

AM & others,

Best wishes to you all; no matter what road you chose to go down. I'm truly blessed for a very supportive hubbie! He doesn't read lyme things but listens to me here & there.

And allows me to come into our bedroom late at night & read/type for hours on this precious board to me! NOT everyone would be that generous, but he is the best partner I could have married. he's never known me well in about 32 years of marriage this Oct. 5!

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie
Iam so sorry your husband treats you and your kids that way.

Maybe throwing him out is a good thing Maybe it will get his attention? cooling off period to,Divorse is a shame and sad thing it would be better if while hes out you require him to grow up and help instead of constantly ridiculing you or your kids.

Give him time to think about his attitude.Tell him while hes out of the house make it his decision hes caused the problem by non support.

If he dosent seem to listen {you have a big dicision to make} and I couldnt presume to make it for you.
Divorce is last resort in my book it would be better if you could work it out.

Good luck God Bless

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie SO Cal Lyme
Member # 7654

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Julie SO Cal Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband of 16 years left me and our 3 daughters, 2 of which have lyme also. He was very non supportive and wasn't really convinced it was lyme because some of the first docs I went to before the lyme diagnosis said it was MS. Even though my daughters were diagnosed with congenetal lyme. It's been very hard and frustrating!
Posts: 28 | From California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelighter2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelighter2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyddie,

I know first hand what you are experiencing, I wrote a book about my "journey" with lyme disease, and my exhusband, who was also abusive, not to mention not supportive, along with the legal system that because my ex, his lies, manipulations and the system's blatant discrimination of me in the system (I have lyme and so do the kids), this family has been literally all but destroyed.

Few people know that my current husband is also not very skilled at being supportive. We have been together 8 years and for much of that time, he admittedly has not been there for me or anyone else for that matter.

I have contemplated our situation for many years. Even through the court crap, the surgeries, etc. he has been basically of the mind that he doesn't want to "deal" with it. Well then that leaves me to deal with "it" and everything else. One person, no matter how strong, does not a relationship make. No matter how hard you try to pull all the weight in a relationship, you cannot do it alone.

You will need to draw on your strength, and you are probably aware of this already, but you are stronger than you think you are.

I would maybe spend some time separately, but think carefully before you make more life changes, as it will affect of course everyone in the family. Sometimes however, moving away from a situation that is at best, unsupportive, is more healthy than staying in it and receiving no support but lots of stress. Stress is horrible on lyme patients, speaking from experience.

You will have to find alternative means of support and build that force around yourself for whatever decisions you do or do not make.

I will say some prayers that you choose wisely, but be certain you explore all options, like counseling, etc. if its available and if your spouse will consider doing it. I didn't have time to read all the responses, sorry, I usually do, but its late and I just wanted to jot this down.

If you want to talk privately, PM me with your email and I'll help you out.

--------------------
PJ

www.LymeLeague.com"Together We Grow Stronger"

Posts: 139 | From A tiny little home office in the middle of Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie SO Cal Lyme
Member # 7654

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Julie SO Cal Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Northstar

It has been a long hard journey but we're taking one day or sometimes minute at a time and even though there is minimal support for us, at least the negative energy is no longer present.

Julie

Posts: 28 | From California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement