LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » LymeNet Decision & Budget 2005-06

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LymeNet Decision & Budget 2005-06
bstolow
Founding Member
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bstolow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To All:

As promised, the LymeNet Board met over the weekend to discuss our plans for resolving our financial crisis and the many Lyme Flash issues.

Your response to our ``Subscription Plan'' for LymeNet was overwhelming and intense. The suggestions were all good and many were well thought out. But, in reality, no one was really in love with the subscription plan.

Therefore, we have decided to put the subscription plan on the shelf and have accepted Lou Bachmann's offer to once again run the LymeNet Fund Raiser. It begins tonight and will run through the end of September. He has also graciously offered to come out of retirement and moderate the Flash Boards. In his words, `` I`ll straighten things out, train a couple of moderators (many of you volunteered to do it, we have your e-mails) and gladly go back into retirement.''

LymeNet has been and always will be a place to express your opinion and listen to those of other's. I have not been listening. For this I sincerely apologize. As for the promised upgrades and improvements, which have as yet not been implemented, our dedicated team of volunteer system engineers have told me that all of them will be completed by the end of September, with the new faster server connection in place by the end of August.

We ask for your patience and forgiveness. We ask that you consider sticking with us, supporting us, and continue to meet and learn on the LymeNet site.

Like you, we are Lyme victims. We do know the stress this disease causes. We have the same physical, emotional, and financial woes that you have. We, too, want LymeNet to be a place where people feel comfortable and safe. LymeNet and the Lyme Disease Network began fifteen years ago as our way of paying back for the help we received when Lyme changed our lives in 1989. It has always been our intention that LymeNet would serve that purpose for others. People can come, learn, get support, and then do the same for the next person.

I have placed below our budget for 2005-06, which includes an explanation of how your donations are spent and why we have set a $7,500 goal.

I wish all of you Good Health.

Bill Stolow

Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.

Operating Budget - 2005-06

Server Connection - $3,000/yr
Cable Modem LymeNet Office - $600/yr
Office Supplies - $400/yr
Gov't Fees - $100/yr
Domain Name (5) Fees - $100/yr
Donations/Ads - $500

Total Operating Budget - $4,700/yr

Capital Reserves - $2,800*

* In 2004 prior year reserves were depleted due to aging equipment replacement and shortfall of fund raising goals.

2004-05 Expenses not included in operating budget:
Equipment Replacement - $1,000 for DSL Modem replacement and onsite service call by NetCarrier.
New Server Purchase - $1,000
Software for New Server - $300

Total Funding Goal 2005-06 Campaign - $7,500*

------------------
Bill

Posts: 133 | From East Brunswick, NJ USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bstolow:
To All:

As promised, the LymeNet Board met over the weekend to discuss our plans for resolving our financial crisis and the many Lyme Flash issues.

Your response to our ``Subscription Plan'' for LymeNet was overwhelming and intense. The suggestions were all good and many were well thought out. But, in reality, no one was really in love with the subscription plan.

Therefore, we have decided to put the subscription plan on the shelf and have accepted Lou Bachmann's offer to once again run the LymeNet Fund Raiser. It begins tonight and will run through the end of September. He has also graciously offered to come out of retirement and moderate the Flash Boards. In his words, `` I`ll straighten things out, train a couple of moderators (many of you volunteered to do it, we have your e-mails) and gladly go back into retirement.''

LymeNet has been and always will be a place to express your opinion and listen to those of other's. I have not been listening. For this I sincerely apologize. As for the promised upgrades and improvements, which have as yet not been implemented, our dedicated team of volunteer system engineers have told me that all of them will be completed by the end of September, with the new faster server connection in place by the end of August.

We ask for your patience and forgiveness. We ask that you consider sticking with us, supporting us, and continue to meet and learn on the LymeNet site.

Like you, we are Lyme victims. We do know the stress this disease causes. We have the same physical, emotional, and financial woes that you have. We, too, want LymeNet to be a place where people feel comfortable and safe. LymeNet and the Lyme Disease Network began fifteen years ago as our way of paying back for the help we received when Lyme changed our lives in 1989. It has always been our intention that LymeNet would serve that purpose for others. People can come, learn, get support, and then do the same for the next person.

I have placed below our budget for 2005-06, which includes an explanation of how your donations are spent and why we have set a $7,500 goal.

I wish all of you Good Health.

Bill Stolow

Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.

Operating Budget - 2005-06

Server Connection - $3,000/yr
Cable Modem LymeNet Office - $600/yr
Office Supplies - $400/yr
Gov't Fees - $100/yr
Domain Name (5) Fees - $100/yr
Donations/Ads - $500

Total Operating Budget - $4,700/yr

Capital Reserves - $2,800*

* In 2004 prior year reserves were depleted due to aging equipment replacement and shortfall of fund raising goals.

2004-05 Expenses not included in operating budget:
Equipment Replacement - $1,000 for DSL Modem replacement and onsite service call by NetCarrier.
New Server Purchase - $1,000
Software for New Server - $300

Total Funding Goal 2005-06 Campaign - $7,500*

$7500.00 is the goal.

300x$25.00=$7500.00

Now according too Lou B
Administrator post Oops ... Tom Brown must have mis-spoken when he said "100,000 registered users", the LymeNet Flash has exactly, at this minute, 6876 registered users. I "think" Tom meant to say "over 100,000 user posts on the LymeNet Flash forums".

6876x$25.00=$171,900.00

$171,900.00 minus $7,500.00=((($164400.00 left over)))

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks tree for giving info on members and amounts.

Can someone kindly post where money is to be mailed and how to pay on Paypal.

Thanks

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tbrown
Founding Member
Member # 3

Icon 8 posted      Profile for tbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is discouraging that no matter what you try to do as a positive step will eventually be negated by some cynic who will invariably find something wrong.

Who would really be naive enough to think that all 6882 registered users would really donate $25 to total tens of thousands of dollars in net donations for LymeNet?

Further, who really believes that if such a strange thing were to happen that we have such poor ethics and would actually keep that money?

Sheesh...

Posts: 82 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Oct 1993  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
Tree...

I KNOW you just got slapped in the face here.. but please..

DO NOT RESPOND.

I reported this to the moderator. Let THEM handle their administrator and these hateful comments.

When the dust settles here.. the sick folks who come here for help will need YOU to do what you do so well.. which is help them.

Don't blow it. It isn't worth it.

Please.

Email me.. ok?

Thanks!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tbrown:
It is discouraging that no matter what you try to do as a positive step will eventually be negated by some cynic who will invariably find something wrong.

Who would really be naive enough to think that all 6882 registered users would really donate $25 to total tens of thousands of dollars in net donations for LymeNet?

Further, who really believes that if such a strange thing were to happen that we have such poor ethics and would actually keep that money?

Sheesh...

Effective September 1, 2005
1. All current and new registered users of Lyme Flash will automatically be given Bronze Status on Lyme Flash. This Bronze level will allow the user to read all posts, but will not have authorization to reply to a post or to post a new topic.
2. In order to reply to a post or create a new topic, a registered user will have to pay an annual tax-deductible subscription fee. For $25.00 a year you will receive Silver Status which entitles the user to post replies and new topics on all the Flash Discussion boards. A $50.00 or more donation entitles the user to Gold Status, which also entitles the user to post new topics and reply to posts. As a Gold Status registered user, you can be assured that your generosity will enable LymeNet to continue to help the thousands of visitors to our site get the information they need to battle this disease.

In the past, the vast majority of LymeNet users have been able to donate these amounts or more during our annual fund raising campaign. Please consider your subscription payment your annual donation to keep LymeNet up and running. If all our regular users were to participate, we would not have any reason to ask for more money again this year. Some of you have been extremely generous in year's past. We hope you will once again contribute generously. If you have the resources to donate over and above the fees listed above and you know of someone who does not, make the donation in their name by providing a valid e-mail address and their LymeNet user name.

Our goal is to raise $7,500, which will cover our expenses until September 2006.

Donations and Subscription fees can be paid through our PayPal account by clicking the "Make a Donation" on the front page of LymeNet. Checks or money orders may be sent to the address below. Once payment is received, allow two days for your status upgrade to become effective. You will receive a renewal notice by e-mail 60 days prior to your subscription expiration.

From this thread http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/036577.html

I was just pointing out the money that would be made at $25.00 a poster according to >>>>

This>>
$7500.00 is the goal.
300x$25.00=$7500.00

Now according too Lou B
Administrator post Oops
... Tom Brown must have mis-spoken when he said "100,000 registered users", the LymeNet Flash has exactly, at this minute, 6876 registered users. I "think" Tom meant to say "over 100,000 user posts on the LymeNet Flash forums".

6876x$25.00=$171,900.00

$171,900.00 minus $7,500.00=((($164400.00 left over)))

At that rate by making eveyone send in $25.00 thats the amounts.

Its all mute points now because they agreed not to charge. But if you want donations you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

ps Iam not a cynic

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by mlkeen:
Thanks tree for giving info on members and amounts.

Can someone kindly post where money is to be mailed and how to pay on Paypal.

Thanks

Mel

Go to upper left part of your screen where it say's make a donation thats PayPal

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 09 August 2005).]

mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you
Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by mlkeen:
Thank you
Your welcome

Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TC, Tree and everyone,

I emailed Tom this AM but, based on Tree's replies, Tree responded and did not take it as a slap in the face.

I know Tom very well ... he's done nothing but provide support to LymeNet and the victims of Lyme and other TBD's for years.
We're just seeing some frustration here by everyone, including Tom, who is taking some unwarranted hits for simply trying to help.

Can you all help calm things down?
I'd appreciate your help and support ... OK?

I believe Tom was just pointing out that it's unrealistic to believe we would get 6800+ users to donate $25 each. Here's the reality ... The last time I did a LymeNet fundraiser, in 2003, I got ONLY 98 donors ... very disappointing! At the time we were still able to make our $5K target because of a few VERY generous donors who sent in many $100+ and in one case $1000. In running that fundraiser, we emailed my family, friends, my former IBM employees, Angela and my high school alumni, the members or our church and every one of the 4000+ LymeNet registered users. That, my friends, is reality.

Now, could we please stop nit picking and help one another.

I need a little time to wrap up some critical issues on another volunteer organization that I support, then I'll kick-off the LymeNet 2005 fundraiser ... probably early next week.

Let's take a bigger view of the world ... there are charities out there that bring in millions of dollars a year, have paid staffers, plush offices and blow half the money they get on perks. We, at LymeNet, are simply trying to raise $7500 ... in perspective, it ain't much but it will keep us running and allow us to make improvements.

Now, could you all simply help?

Thanks,

------------------
Lou B.

[This message has been edited by Lou B (edited 09 August 2005).]

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 9 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lou B:
TC & Tree,

I emailed Tom this AM but, based on Tree's replies, Tree responded and did not take it as a slap in the face.
We're just seeing some frustration here.
Can you help calm things down?
I'd appreciate your help and support ... OK?

Thanks,

Iam calm a little discouraged but calm.

tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tbrown:

Sheesh...

Tbrown:

With respect, because you have worked very hard for us over the years...

I have not seen anyone ask a question that is not legitimate. We are being asked to donate money. We want to know what we are donating money to.

We have been given the numbers, but no clear explanation as to why it is necessary to host onsite, the cost of which comprises the bulk of the proposed Lymenet budget.

I still do not have a clear understanding as to why Lymenet needs its own server and DSL line when a company like WowBB (and surely there are others) can provide this service at a fraction of the cost.

I have posted more information in this regard in medical in Bill's budget thread. WowBB have confirmed to me that they can easily handle a board this size, contrary to what you have indicated previously. The only possible question is bandwidth. Gven that this message board is primarily text, they don't believe that it will be a problem.

Please could you provide this information, and I will be able to confirm for certain with WowBB that they could host Lymenet.

In case you haven't seen it, see my post in this thread: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/036668.html

In case you do not come back to this thread, or that one, I will post the information I presented to you separately. I've also sent it by email to the Stolows.

Please try to understand where we are coming from. The people who are being asked to support Lymenet are spending most, if not all, of their available resources just to get well. Lymenet is a lifeline for many people. We want it to operate as smoothly and cost-efficiently as possible.

We ask questions and even express doubts about what we are being told because we care. I hope you can understand that and forgive anything more than that that you might be reading into our posts.

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissk
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just some thoughts that occurred to me as I was reading through the budget:

Domain renewals 5 = $100/year.
I switched to www.godaddy.com years ago. Their charge for .org domains is $8.95/year, so your five domains would be just under $50 a year. You can lock the price in by paying two or more years in advance.

DSL Modem Installation Service Call
I just got DSL thanks to my ISP reducing the price (this year at least!) to that equal to what I was already paying. Anyway, I saved the shipping fee by picking it up myself, and installed it myself, something that is incredibly easy now that the technology and units are several years down the line from when they were first introduced.

A telephone company serviceperson did have to come out to tweak something - but it was done outside where the phone line box is, so I didn't even have to be home - and the service call was free.

So, even a Lymebrain can install DSL modems now, especially given that they just sit your your desk or someplace close to it, and don't have to be installed inside the computer.

New Server and related costs
Given donations to your organization are tax deductible, have you checked with web hosts who can handle the current volume of traffic and anticipated growth to see if they would donate part or all of their costs of hosting Lymenet?

This would reduce a chunk of the budget, plus make it easier for those involved in maintaining the site and its resources to move on when the time comes, and others to step in. That's much easier than trying to find someone who can take over all the equipment, learn how to run and maintain it, etc.

The points and suggestions on the computing side of Lymenet was excellently covered in the Question section in Jill's summary of comments, questions and feedback at http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013342.html

Thoughts on others' suggestions:

Send emails to every single new and existing member
This is considered spam, even if it is for a good cause. Chances are a significant number of these emails would be snagged by the various ISP spam filters and never reach the intended recipient. Mass mailing like this could also result in the sender's address being blacklisted by the various spamcop services around who provide the data from which ISPs build their spam filters.

Seek corporate donations, especially from IGENEX, Bowen, ILADS, etc.
Pretty good idea, I think. Not only do they benefit from Lymenet members referring others to their services and encourage their physicians to join ILADS, but these entities also have a place to refer patients and others who are looking for a place like Lymenet to learn more and answer the questions that the entities don't have the time or personnel (or inclination) to answer individually.

Annual Subscription Fee For Posting
"In order to reply to a post or create a new topic, a registered user will have to pay an annual tax-deductible subscription fee. For $25.00 a year you will receive Silver Status which entitles the user to post replies and new topics on all the Flash Discussion boards."

1. Might want to check with a tax person on the use of "subscription fee" vs "membership", based on the type of 501 you are (I'm assuming that the nonprofit org is a 501(c) something). The wording can have ramifications relating to whether the amount is actually deductible, in part or in full.

2. I think you will lose a lot of posters due to people not having the money to 'donate' to be able to post. I know people who are trying to survive on less than $800 a month, using the public library or a friend's computer to be able to access the 'Net at all. They simply will not be able to pay. But you're still going to have high bandwidth costs because lots of people will still be reading posts for free.

A combination of an annual fundraising drive, (in addition to making it known in ways suggested otherwise that this is a volunteer-run and donation-funded effort) in addition to seeking corporate donations, and donations of goods and services, should help keep some of the operating costs down and funds coming in.

Search
I rarely use Lymenet because I hate the Search function - it is so broad in what it returns as to be useless, not to speak of wading through yards of (ahem!) poorly edited posts (in terms of quoting previous posts at great and needless length). So, I shamelessly benefit from a few who have the patience to sift through the morass and post links to specific Lymenet threads in other forums.

I do refer new Lymies here to Lymenet, but inwardly shudder when I do because it is not easy to wade through threads with scrambled brains, especially for people not use to using and working their way through Flash forums.

Anyway, it's too good a resource to lose, but I think that the Board has some more thinking to do, in light of suggestions that have been made, including finding an IT consultant/friend who isn't going to, er, benefit from your plight!

------------------
Melissa Kaplan www.anapsid.org www.anapsid.org/cnd
www.anapsid.org/lyme

[This message has been edited by melissk because she can't handle serif fonts (edited 09 August 2005).]

[This message has been edited by melissk (edited 09 August 2005).]

Posts: 22 | From Fulton, CA USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I want to say how wonderful it is to have Lou and Angela back! You have been so missed. The large majority of long term posters have been complaining about the lack of moderators on this board for quite a long time now. The most recent moderators never responded to emails and neglected moderating all the time. Countless times I have logged on only to find endless scrolls of duplicate topics, enormous scrolling blobs of messy text articles, totally off topic posts in medical questions, and no attention being paid, sometimes for weeks. If these moderators were paid it was a huge waste of good money. Many of us even posted "where are the moderators?" in a new topic and it sat there for days, neglected. It makes the board look sloppy and un-organized. The reply w/quote option really makes Lymenet sloppy. The enormous posts with articles and replies with quote are so obnoxious. Simply posting a link is fine. Who wants to scroll through endless replies with quotes ...repeating and repeating...it is a huge waste of space, very confusing to newcomers, and should be eliminated to save space and organize the message board. The search option is almost always broken as well. If space is an issue why not get rid of "Off topic" for obvious reasons. Better organization of the Question groups is needed. So many people post the same topic in both medical and general support. Maybe new categories are in order. "General support" can mean lots of things! I am so glad to see that moderators who know what they are doing are back! Thank you so much to Lou and Angela for coming back and offering us your time. yes!!Add my name to the list of people willing to volunteer to help with that also.

Now that Lymenet seems to be heading back in the right direction, I would be happy to help raise funds for this cause. I will gladly sell Lyme disease awareness bracelets and give all the profits to Lymenet. I have a bunch of other ideas as well.

I agree with the posters who suggested going to ILADS doctors for donations. IgeneX also gets thousands of referrals from Lymenet. We are probably the #1 source of patient referrals. I personally have referred atleast 100 patients to LLMD's in the past 7 years, and many hundred more to IgeneX. May I suggest donation cans be placed at LLMD offices and support group meetings. Many local stores will also allow donation cans. I totally agree that there are much more affordable ways to run Lymenet. Please have the Board of Directors research the available options before settling on perhaps the most expensive option. Some very good ideas have been posted as ways to cut the costs significantly. Go Daddy is just one of those good ideas.

Please post the address to send donations to again so newcomers can see it. A link at the top of the Lymenet page for this fundraiser should lead to a page containing the info on the Lymenet fundraiser issue. Right now it only directs to paypal, and many of us would rather pay by personal check.

Thank god the board nixed the "pay to post" idea, it would have killed Lymenet, and people too by being denied receiving help here for free.

It is so great to see good moderators back!
I will do everything I can to help raise the money.

WildCondor's Lymelinks

[This message has been edited by WildCondor (edited 11 August 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe my post is missing...is there a reason? I felt I had some valid comments/questions.
Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lishs mom,

I think your post is in Medical under a slightly different topic heading. Check page 2 of post
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/036577.html

Or maybe you mean your post on this other topic heading instead? http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013318.html

There were a lot of different threads on this same subject all going on at the same time.

Bea Seibert

[This message has been edited by seibertneurolyme (edited 16 August 2005).]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lishs mom,

You've got no posts in the past day except the one above saying a post is missing.
Are you possibly referring to the posts that Bea pointed out on 04 August and 10 August?

We have NOT removed any of your posts.

------------------
Lou B.

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lishs Mom,

I've gone over the posts Bea mentioned and, as she said, this must be what you're talking about. Your ideas, comments and questions are still there.

Take care,
Love,
Angela

[This message has been edited by Angela Bachmann (edited 16 August 2005).]

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lishs mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the post that I am missing is a very detailed post with costing included in it.

It questions options for lower cost, lists other viable options on a point by point basis.

I was not a cynic, I am trying to make financial sense of this whole thing. As a representative of Lyme Patients we need to be be responsible.

Posts: 1918 | From Central, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other post of yours that I could find in which you ask about costs is dated 08 August in the following Topic thread:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/036668.html

------------------
Lou B.

Lishs mom
Member # 2344

Lou, I think thats my point.

I had posted something here, and it included real costing

Like cost of DSL, Cost of modems, switches, routers.

Alternate ideas including cost of co-location, (a very viable option) which would address speed, redundancy, and some other issues that came up at a fraction of the cost, while maintaining control of the server.

other alternate ideas and associated costs including partial T1 connections, third party servers, and multitudes of cost efficient ideas.

The post had dollar amounts in a graph..it was on this thread and is not here now.

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't that much dang money to be making such a huge deal out of it. Little more than a dollar a year for each registered user... I pay $5 a year membership to get the ads off of my weather page! AND I have never seen any "issue" over what services they use, costs, etc... We are not 'stock holders' here.

I think I have recieved much more valuable information here on Lymenet this past year (minus the last 3 months) than whether or not I should carry an umbrella...

I suggest privately emailing suggestions to the administrators and owners, etc, just because they may not know what is available in the tech world today. They can take or leave suggestions as their perogative too... we don't really all need an open debate here on the forum, do we? Just my opinion.

Yes, a lot of Lyme patients are totally broke. Some are not. I am somewhere in between, and I will send $20.

See? If you can't donate, don't, and don't feel bad. If you can, do. If you can send $5, great, if you can send $25 great, some will send $100 or more. That's the way it works. It is rediculous to think that all 6876 registered users will donate or are even all current users.

My thanks and appreciation to the new (old ) moderators!

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...also to the administrators, owners, etc!

and to the many knowledgeable and or supportive people who have helped me out!

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lishs Mom,

That has happened before with posts...it is a 'hick-up' that used to ocassionally...and evidently still does.

I don't remember seeing that post.....believe me I have typed up some well thoguht out replies...had them posted and then...BOOM...they came up missing. If my memory...which I have littel is right...5 or 6 times. I hate it when it happens.

Trout

------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
Iowa Lyme Disease Assoc.
www.ildf.info

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still not convinced that there is not a less expensive way to host Lymenet. That doesn't mean there is, only that I am not convinced.

If $7500 is what it takes, then fine. It is worth it. But if it can be done for less, then the money can be put to other uses.

It sounds like the limiting factor to offsite hosting is not the message board but, rather, the other information posted in the links to the left of the page. (Is this correct?)

If so, then could the two functions be split? Run the board with WowBB or similar for $50/month, and run the information on another web site which links to/from Lymenet.

No one has yet answered my question about how much bandwidth is needed to run Lymenet. This was the one piece of information which I did not have to provide to WowBB to see if they could host us. With that information, the issue could be resolved, one way or the other.

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Loribelle said: >> I suggest privately emailing suggestions to the administrators and owners, etc, just because they may not know what is available in the tech world today. They can take or leave suggestions as their perogative too... we don't really all need an open debate here on the forum, do we? Just my opinion.

I disagree. There is a lot of collective knowledge here which might provide a less expensive solution if shared and discussed in open forum.

If you are sick of the debate, and I can understand that you might be, don't open these threads anymore.

cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This is exactly the kind of interactions that have fragmented the board over the last several months. Why is it that people just can't be civil around here?

Loribelle, your comment to the thread was rude, plain and simple. No this isn't just a little bit of money and if you are tired of discussing the issue, then SOB. The fact of the matter is that there are many many websites out there that run for far far less. And while the techy person here is giving elaborate techy explanations to justify the expenses, the major issue of the problems at this board are being overlooked.....and they aren't technical....

Now I understand very little about how websites are run and it is a shame that Lish's Mom's post was lost somehow because it appears that she is probably more computer literate than alot of people here.And tickedintx also sounds computer literate and raises some good questions

I'm sorry, but I am still having problems with all of this, especially the cost. And people can break it down to dollars or pennies per day to justify it, but it is still too expensive. I know you are trying hard to rectify a difficult situation, Lou, and you are tired, exhausted and hurt from some of the things that have been said. But the fact of the matter is, the problems here go well beyond trying to raise money to keep this site afloat....the lack of basic human kindness and civil interactions have become a commonplace occurance around here. The lack of moderation at this board has encouraged it. It was difficult to come here when there was a problem and be ignored by the moderator.

I have had great pride in this site and don't know what I would have done without it, but I have been literally ashamed of what it has become over the last several months. I do hope that you can correct some of that, but it will take lots and lots of time. It will take time for all of us to heal and to regain our confidence in this site....

To be quite honest, I don't need some expensive site to share and impart knowledge, but I do need a place where I can come and feel safe. I need a place that is properly moderated and concerns are addressed promptly....
cootiegirl

[This message has been edited by cootiegirl (edited 16 August 2005).]

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's my turn to say wow.

The folks who maintain this site have put in endless hours of their unpaid time and even dipped into their own pockets when needed to keep this site going.

And this is the thanks they get?

I sent a donation last week.

Janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is killing me to read how everyone is fighting. It so reminds me of a family with one of the members sick and everyone fighting to take care of that person, in their own way. Yes the site has some "sickness" but we have to stick together. Fighting will only make the sickness spread.

When someone is sick in your family and they need money do you question how they will spend it? Do you tell them if you give them money they can only spend it on Dr's or Med's??

Are they not allowed to get whatever else they might need? Do you ask to see their check book first so you can make sure they are spending "your" money right?

I have been blessed with a husband that has a great job to support his wife and 3 kids with lyme and still allow me to donate to this site and green santa and help my family.

I give to my family without asking financial questions because I love them and they need the money period! Just as this site does, I have always donated since i joined and will continue until my dying day because without this site my oldest son would be dead right now. I owe this site my life and my three kids life.

For those of ya'll that donate to Green Santa do you question who your sending presents to? Do you ask for their check books to make sure they really need the presents for their kids?? It is all about giving period, supporting your family when in need, right?

I don't think anyone on this site expects someone to not take their abx or not go to a dr just so they can donate to the site but if you have an extra 1 or 2 send it but if you dont' someone that does will send 50.

Please lets get back to being the family we once were, helping everyone get better.

Our kids need us to help them and others.
Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing both sides to the issue of discussing tech options..

on one hand it feels right to have questions answered as far as the administrators specific justifications of decisions and budget..

I think questioning those specific justifications and points raised by the administrators can be warranted..
or even if there is question that parts of it don't 'add up'..

but I do feel uncomfortable with assertations, directions ..and specifics on how it could be done better..on board --
are above most of our heads and not within the relm of something any of us can participate in.

seems to me how they choose to do it is their choice as administrators..
and member's choice to question --

but detailed sepecifics on how things could be done better probably would be better recieved privately..
tho, expressing discontent or concern that things don't make sence, or that the money situation seems confusing at best (and why)..I feel are appropriate.

In other words that's something all members
probably can comfortably have an opinion on.
I know I (and I think most of us) can't begin to offer specific computer tech options to consider..
or can know what any of this really means.

However I also, all in all at the end of the day..don't feel at all comfortable with any of it..
in moving ahead and just being the family we were.

I don't see how that can really happen, considering the fact that so much beyond technical specifics has been damaged with no solution in sight..
we could have the best or the worst systems..
but if the 'village it takes' is broken,
the technology (even the money) matters little.

So many elements you can't buy or manipulate are just gone.

None of the posts here really change or address that.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 17 August 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

If my questions/suggestions are deemed inappropriate by the Lymenet directors, just tell me and I will stop asking, but I need to be confident that there is not a less expensive way to do this before I can be comfortable making a financial contribution, or soliciting others to do the same.

I post questions to open forum so that others, not just the Admin, have a chance to explain why something will or will not work, and so that others will see the answers and possibly have their concerns addressed as well.

I am getting a bit fed up with people who are trying to suppress this kind of conversation. If you are not interested in the technical nuances, stay out of the thread.

Donating to Lymenet is not like giving money to a family member or friend in need, though I would not give money to someone I did not trust to spend it wisely. I will not, however, donate to a non-profit organization that does not spend its money wisely. I'm just trying to gain some comfort level that Lymenet is making the most cost-effective financial decisions.

[This message has been edited by tickedntx (edited 17 August 2005).]

Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Let's just sit back, calm down and think about why we're all here on LymeNet ... I would hope it's to get/give help and support to the victims of Lyme and other TBD's. Speaking for the LymeNet team, that has always been our primary mission.

Now, I'm asking for your understanding on another point. There is a very large user community posting on the LymeNet Flash. You can get yourselves into a real fire fight over some issue and that can quickly escalate unless each of you exhibits some restraint. We, as Moderators, can become overwhelmed and can't possibly respond quickly enough to prevent damage, as appears to have happened tonight in this Topic. We were visiting our daughter, Lori ... the Lyme victim, our son-in-law and the grand-kids when things got a little combative in this Topic. I got home and signed on only to find there had been some head bashing. I know some of you are angry and you can't beat the heck out of the tick that bit you but beating the heck out of one another is only going to make things worse. I'm asking only one thing ... after you finish typing your post and before hitting "Submit", re-read it and think how you would feel if that post were directed at you ... OK?
You asked for effective/responsive Moderators and we're here doing our best to help you.

On another point, the information you all need on what we've done to insure we implement the most cost effective solution
is in this Topic: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013363-2.html
Please read my post at the top of page 2 addressed to "tickedntx".
Please read Tom's post at the top of page 1 in which he details the technology Q&A's at: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013363.html

I really need to put the budget, technology solution Q&A and general Q&A all in one place so things aren't so disjointed. I'm gonna do that and get some zzzzzz's ... It's another late night here in the world of LymeNet. Here it is:
LymeNet Budget, Technology Q&A, General Q&A, Team and Moderators http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013392.html

Trust us ... we do know what we're doing and we're doing our best to get it all done for you, the victims of Lyme and other TBD's.

Thanks for your input, understanding, patience, help and support,

------------------
Lou B.

[This message has been edited by Lou B (edited 17 August 2005).]

Lishs mom
Member # 2344

quote:
Originally posted by tickedntx:
If my questions/suggestions are deemed inappropriate by the Lymenet directors, just tell me and I will stop asking, but I need to be confident that there is not a less expensive way to do this before I can be comfortable making a financial contribution, or soliciting others to do the same.

I post questions to open forum so that others, not just the Admin, have a chance to explain why something will or will not work, and so that others will see the answers and possibly have their concerns addressed as well.

I am getting a bit fed up with people who are trying to suppress this kind of conversation. If you are not interested in the technical nuances, stay out of the thread.

Donating to Lymenet is not like giving money to a family member or friend in need, though I would not give money to someone I did not trust to spend it wisely. I will not, however, donate to a non-profit organization that does not spend its money wisely. I'm just trying to gain some comfort level that Lymenet is making the most cost-effective financial decisions.

[This message has been edited by tickedntx (edited 17 August 2005).]

Thanks Ticked...us texans need to stay together
I agree with you that collectively there is a lot more options. But I am willing to just shut my mouth and move on now. THanks for standing up and trying.
Guess for me, im done. I am not wasting my time or money.....

Lou says that they have to replace 7 yr old servers..
The guy here Marck or Tim or Bill, *whoever it was* said that the money they collected from us before was used to 'replace the ailing server'.
I just wanted to know how it was being spent... but since its now a donation level and not a required membeship.... those who think its just a little money can do what they want. I was thinking the excess could actually go toward research or something......but thats a dumb thought.....
Just venting...
so, thanks..and good luck

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm closing this Topic. All the info on:
LymeNet Budget, Technology Q&A, General Q&A, Team and Moderators
is located here: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013392.html

Love,
Angela

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement