LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How did you first discover LymeNet Flash Discussion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did you first discover LymeNet Flash Discussion?
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can remember I think I first linked to this forum from the IGeneX site.

What about you? Did a friend or co-worker point you in this direction? Or was it a search on Goggle? Or a newspaper article? Or some other Lyme organization? Or did you discover the folks here through their participation on some other medical forum?

Just curious.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never forget that night. Dominic was real sick, actually the Dr's told us if they did not find out what was wrong to prepare for his funeral.

I was frantic, going over all the test results, symptoms everything. In doing this I noticed his sed rate was the only thing consistantly high in all test.

I type "high sed rate" in search engine and got a list of possible sites. Low and behold Lymenet was one of the first on the list. Someone on Lymenet posted something about sed rates and it came up in the search.

Amazing how something so vague got me to where i really needed to go. I like to think a higher power hand a hand in it. I registerd that night and been on ever since.

Good question I can't wait for others to respond.

Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a beautiful and inspirational story that was, Starr. Thanks for sharing it with us. And, Bea...thanks for bringing this subject up!

Love
Angela http://www.angelfire.com/nj/lorib/

[This message has been edited by Angela Bachmann (edited 14 August 2005).]

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 1 1/2 years of searching, suffering, not knowing what was wrong with me, someone mentioned Lyme for the first time.

I found the symptom list and recognized the majority. I started searching more as able when I came across Lori's story, the one Angela points out above.

I e-mailed Lou B.(not knowing Lou B. is Lou B.) explaining my situation, and soon after received a sincere, caring, genuine reply. Thanks Lou.

I was, at that point, invited to join the Lymenet family. That was March 2004. I read, read, and read some more. I registered as soon as I felt I might be able to post or reply once in a while.

This HAS been my family and saved my life.
Thanks Lymenet Family, ALL OF YOU

[This message has been edited by Pocono Lyme (edited 14 August 2005).]

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my positive Western Blot Nov 04. Because of the net I requested it, my doc was satisfied with 2 negative IFA Lyme titers.

After that I spent even more hours on the net searching for answers.

I believe I found Lymenet in the spring thru WildCondor's site.

I don't know why it took so long.

Without Lymenet I would be lost and alone in the horror world of neuro Lyme. Thank you all.

Janet

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out I had a VERY long standing case of Lyme and babesia in August 2000. My first connection with the internet was a site called Lyme Disease Quilt Page.

It had alot of personal stories there, which convinced me I did indeed have Lyme. I was waiting results of the Igenex WB at the time.

I found another site called Sharing Stories or something like that. Katydid was on that site too and some others who also frequented Lymenet.

The sharing stories site was small, so when I found Lymenet [don't remember how I found it..I guess through Katydid or others on the site..] I found a whole new world!!

Been here since the fall of 2000, though my profile says Feb 2001. I think it's because Lymenet revamped during that time and we all began again with new dates.

I don't know what I would have done without Lymenet. Sometimes I was herxing so bad that I would drag myself out of bed to get online, so I could connect with others who were going thru the same thing.

There were times I could only post for a few minutes at a time....ask a question, or help another. I think I would have lost my mind if I'd had to go through treatment "all alone."

Sure, I have a supportive husband, but he really had no clue what I was going through. No one does unless they experience it for themselves.

I'm committed to helping Lymenet stay onboard for others. People need this place.

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was finally diagnosed correctly with chronic lyme 7-04 after misdx of 34 years. Found the marshall protocol board, and their administrator, Suzanne..aka TICKEDNTEXAS, referred me here.

Finally came here last fall sometime. I've learned so much for all the personal expertise of everyone.

I share back with what I can so the Golden Rule will live on forever.

Angela & Lou B., looking forward to get to know you folks. Haven't read Lori's story yet but will in future.

bettyg, Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been sick for 15 years with CFS/FMS so was on their message board and noticed several that had been misdx'd. They actually had lyme.

I always knew I had something else. CFS/FMS never made sense to me. I was always looking for the true dx.

I started searching lyme and found Lymenet. I truly don't know what I would do without it. I found my wonderful dr through this site and have learned so much.

Since being here I learned that I could have given my kids lyme so had my daughter tested. She has it and do does my husband.

This site is truly my lifeline. I'm here everyday reading even though I don't post much. I appreciate this site so much and wonder what we would do without it. I now feel like I have hope and I had none before finding this site. Thanks to you all.

Sapphire 101

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Lymenet through a friend on another chronic illness support group. At the time, I thought I had FMS and CFS, but she was convinced I had Lyme. Whatever it was, after 11 years, it was getting worse. Much worse.

I was sceptical, having been through the mill with so many people suggesting so many things that would make me better. I took a good long six months of serious research before I convinced my doctor to test me.

Lymenet was an important part of that research. Here I found so many stories like mine. I found sympathy, support, encouragement, but also scholarship, advocacy, and the strength to fight the system that suppresses us all.

Lymenet continues to be a place to find new information, and to make contacts around the world.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing a search on google - because along with a bunch of other health issues, I developed Bell's Palsy - and my doc. said he was going to test me for lyme.

That's when I found lymenet - Thank God! Because after the neg. test my doc did a complete turn-around, and left me "high and dry".

He said your tests are normal - (basically it's all in your head)

I don't know what kind of condition my kids and I would be in now if it weren't for lymenet... I'm forever grateful

Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came on in Feb 04 to research abx reaction and herx. I remember just thinking "they say they're herxin', just like someone else would say "i'm jonesing... I made the connection. The symptoms, the 6-7 yrs of sore throat, postnasal drip, sinus infections, ringing ears. By April I was in paralyzing back pain and nausea. In June I was bit twice and took 1mo abx. Finally caved in November and pleaded with llmd to work with me on a recovery program.
Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great topic!

It was March of 2002. I had been sick since 1985, getting sicker all the time. I had called someone I barely knew from a music organization to which I belonged. She was looking for donations of goods to help a woman starting out on her own. I helped her, and she helped me!

Somehow, in passing, I referred to being disabled. She asked me questions. She suggested I might have Lyme. I was skeptical, but she told me that I didn't have to have a positive test. (I had had an ELISA in the past.) When she came for the goods, she gave me piles of information, and she said she'd eat her boot if I didn't have Lyme! She told me about LymeNet.

I will be eternally grateful for this site and for this "Lyme missionary" who guided me to the right diagnosis.

Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 12 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Cheryls Lyme Disease Page*)!

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I found this site two separate ways. The first was somehow through curezone.com.

The second was after the worst doctor's expereince where I went in and told him I thought I had lyme and he basically told me that I didn't and refused to test me or even let me look at my previous labs. He was so condescending and couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

So I went home and in the back of my mind I had remembered people using the term "Lyme Literate Medical Doctor"

So I went on Google and did a search for LLMD (I was going to do a search for a Lyme IL-literate medical doctor, but I had just seen one of those lol).

What came up was a link for the East Bay Lyme Support Group, so since I live there I went to their site and poked around and found the link to this site.

And I'm sooooo glad I did!

Alison

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tntmama
Member # 7767

Icon 12 posted      Profile for tntmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone.... I ended up w/ Bilateral Bell's Polsy and the doc in the ER asked me all sorts of guestions concerning my health complaints of late... he stated he felt it might be Lyme Disease.... my family doc said " not in this area " ...like to know who told the ticks they can't come to the White Mountains in NH. !! but anyway..... he just scratched his head and said " some things are unexplainable "... seen a neuro. doc at my reguest...he said " chronic migrains..... nope... so I kept searching the internet looking for answers to that ER doc's diagnoses.... YAHOO..... got help here, found a LLMD from this sites help and.... 11 months later I was being treated for late stage Lyme..... just registered this week but...was always checking in to read !! Don't think I would of made it this far w/out Lymenet !!!
Thank You Everyone here for the HELP...

Posts: 3 | From Lancaster, NH. USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Newbies.
Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pretty sure I had Lyme.

Began researching Lyme disease on the Internet.

Began seeing LymeNet references everywhere in my Google searches!

Checked it out!

Registered and posted immediately, asked for help finding an LLMD, and got lots of help instantly!!!

Thank you, LymeNet!!!!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky enough to be reffered by terter who is a family friend. She was the one who knew I had Lyme.

Thank You,
Thank You,

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't remember

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cecy
Member # 8215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cecy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found LymeNet in October 2005 when searching for information on Chronic Lyme Disease. But I didn't view it as a support network until a crisis came in my family and a couple of people who I love read postings here and finally ``got it.'' What they read helped them to know that my behavior WAS influenced by my degree of illness or wellness, and since one has never known me when I wasn't ill, and the other remembers me well and was very confused, they didn't know what was ME and what was related to my illness. "It's not about your illness, it's about YOU," [Frown] is what they said...until they read many of your postings.

What a relief! They took the time to sit down with me, and hear how it's been for ME. To hear me say, to the one who remembers me before I was ill, "The 'person you remember' is ME. The 'person you don't know' is the effects of a devastating illness, invisible to you but with which I have to deal all the time." It was a long talk, and a tearful one, but things are better between us now. [Smile]

I'd been ill off and on, mostly on, for years; the last 11 a downward spiral spent largely suffering in bed. For so long that many closest to me thought I made the illness up, used it as an "out." I heard many different and daunting perspectives, and had no diagnosis. I was lucky in some ways. I have a great respect for most of the doctors who treated me; they listened and were willing to learn, or to say "I don't know what you have" -- despite several who didn't deserve the name of physician. They're all only human, after all, despite being too often trained to "know" how much pain we feel better than we do ourselves. [loco] Shame on Medical Schools for that! [Mad]

I finally was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome [CFIDS] and Fibromyalgia in 2002. That helped some, but it took an M.D. in [bold]Family Practice[/bold] to diagnose Lyme. (I'd had one Western Blot test that was negative before I went to him; he sent my blood, with a history, to Igenex Labs, and it came back positive. See http://www.igenex.com/). He put me on high doses of antibiotics and I can THINK again, and have made some recovery (ANY is good)...enough to have better days sometimes now. That was a year ago. So now, I'm part of LymeNet, which, in effect, restored people I love to me. Thank you LymeNet, and for you posters/members who made the difference. [Smile]

[ 05. November 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: cecy ]

--------------------
cecy sunshine
"I remember me."
 -

Posts: 33 | From Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been sick for about 6-7 years, diagnosis of CFS, hypertension, immune deficiency, etc. Struggling along, couldn't work anymore, on disability. My sister in law read Amy Tan's book and came running over to my house after reading the last chapter in The Opposite of Fate where she describes her experience with Lyme disease. I knew instantly that it was Lyme. It made sense when none of the other diagnosis really did. Tan referred to finding lymies on the internet so I went looking for you and found Lymnet. This has been so valuable in terms of how quickly I can access information and opinion. What I learn here would have taken me years to find on my own (if I ever did) and I feel like it would have soon cost me my life. I lurked for a long time before I had the courage to come out of the closet and glad I did. I feel better here than most places and I'm very grateful. [hi]
Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing a succession of ducks, it was my acupuncturist who finally suggested something systemic -- Lyme, she said.

As soon as I read the symptoms of the disease on canlyme, I knew.

I started doing research about treatment and ended up sending an email to Lou B. He wrote me the nicest, most encouraging email. It gave me a lot of hope, and, if I remember, it also lead me to Lymenet.

Once here, I found my LLMD and a lot of support.

I will always be grateful!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AAmeri21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5410

Icon 10 posted      Profile for AAmeri21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading someones xanga blog and they had a link to here. THANK GOD I found you guys! [Smile]

Abbie

--------------------
"Walk by Faith, Not by Sight"

Posts: 149 | From New City, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was 2002 and I was convinced that I had Lyme. Went online to another site. Can't remember, but they had a board. When I only got one response from Roses, she said to come to LYmenet.

thank goodness. although I don't post often, I am "around."

[bow]
hopeful123

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laczitag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laczitag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found LymeNet in October 2000. I was diagnosed with Lyme in July 1999 and sent to Dr. Gary Wormser... I was treated with 3 weeks of antibiotics and pronounced "Cured"... I was VERY sick in October of 2000 and found Lyme net by searching Google... Lyme.... joined then and have been around ever since, although I rarely post, but always read. In December 2000, I moved to Florida and have had difficulty with treatment after Dr. C. dumped me.
I think Lyme Net is very important and thank you all for posting and sharing info.
Laczitag

Posts: 121 | From Sarasota, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement