LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Finally Home with Story to tell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally Home with Story to tell
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 7 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to let ya'll know that we are finally home and safe!! I also wanted to tell ya'll about some of the stuff I have experienced in the last few days.

For one the news is down right terrible. I really belive they find the worse of the worse to show. I was seriously terrified to come home and am ashamed that I said that the people they moved from New Orleans to Houma were walking the streets and I was scared. The only thing I should be scared of is the news crews!!!!

I must say first that we went to Missouri to say with my uncle because I knew we would be without elec. for a while. While up there, I was given money by relatives to help us. Since we do not need the money we are buying coloring books and books and puzzles for the kids in the shelters in our area.

So we had people up there giving us money to help us and or people we knew. This was great! What wasn't was hearing others in stores and resturants talk about "the people" (wording it nicely here) in New Orleans and the scum they were for what the were doing!

It turned my stomach and I did approach a few and say wouldn't you do anything to feed your child???? I don't agree with loothing but if it is for food/water power to it. The ones stealing t.v's and such are the ones that make everyone look bad.

On our trip home, when we stopped for gas in northern Mississippi we were asked if we had a place to stay and if not this couple had a house with 2 spare rooms we could use. We explained we were very lucky and still had a house undamaged, and thanked them over and over again. The great thing about this is that we are white and this was a very beatiful older colored lady asking us to say with her.

It made me want to cry that there are sooooo many very wonderful colored people in this country that no one see the good and only find the bad. I am positive there are white people loothing too, why aren't they showing them?

Some of the people from New Orleans who are staying in the Civic Center walked to a drop off site and is volunteering their time to help sort clothes and stuff. No one cared where they were walking to just that they were out like if they were going to start looting here. I am ashamed of what I thougth and that I was scared to come home.

The news should be showing wonderful people like that lady in Mississippi or the people who have nothing but are helping instead of waiting for others to help them. It is truely sad what they are showing and what they are choosing to not show.

In our town there was a story going around about a group of black guys showing up in a UHaul truck and breaking into a store for food. The truth finally came out that a White guy went to New Orleans and told them if they paid him so much a person he would take them to safety in this UHaul truck.

There were men, women, childern in the back of the truck, he abandon them in a small town around 45 miles from here and left them!! Got them to safety? Almost got them killed, that is what they should be showing the scum of the earth tricking and stealing from those trying to save their families. That is sickening that people are taking advantage of them.

I have a friend that bake 12 dozen cookies and bagged them then drove around and found the people fixing the power lines and gave them the cookies and drinks, those men were so excited, some of these people are from Indiana!

On the way how we passed convoy after convoy and Hannah and Sam were waving to all the men in the hummers. Almost every one waved or made the peace sign to the kids, as we passed I noticed the "stressed and tired" faces but when they saw the kids waving they had smiles.

I just wanted to share what is going on from someone who is very near it. Please don't believe everything you are seeing on T.V. cause it is not all that bad there is alot of good and great things going on down here too!

Hugs to ya'll
Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Starr,
Thanks so much for taking time to tell us what you've seen & experienced.
What a refreshing change from most of the TV coverage that tends to be negative.

Unfortunately, there is a criminal element present no matter what's going on, & everyone is suffering because of the actions of a small percentage of the people.

I agree with you. Taking food, water, & survival items is understandable.
Taking non-essential items is stealing.

Concerning looting, I had to chuckle when I saw a sign on one of the stores:
"Don't even think about it.
I'm sleeping inside
with a big dog,
an ugly woman,
2 shotguns, and
a big claw hammer."

I just can't imagine how the people have been able to survive the last week.

After such a tragedy, it is truly heartwarming to hear & see how the American people are helping each other - no matter what race, creed, or economic level.

I'm so thankful that your family didn't lose everything.
Thanks again for the update.
God bless!!

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulelover31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6266

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mulelover31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr!
That is a awesome report Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!

The media are a bunch of worthless air bags anymore.

Mule

Posts: 124 | From Mound City MO USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Starr! I'm so glad you're safe and sound. I know there is plenty of "good" going around and I've heard wonderful stories of compassion and caring....with race not an issue.

We should all remember that people are people.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beach, it is so good that you have a home to go back to..It seems so many are not so lucky..

Also thanks for the stories..We do not hear enough positive ones..They are not sensational enough..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr -

So glad you & your family have a home to go home to - and especially that you are all safe.

Thank you so very much for the story - as I have been watching CNN or some other news station for over a week - and I have been WEEPING and WEEPING for 9 days straight. I must STOP!

A WEEK OF WEEPING MAKES THIS WISEASS VERY WEAK!

I very seriously think I've just traumatized myself by watching too much of the sorrow. I'm just too much of a cry baby I guess - but I really feel sicker this week - and I think it's because of that.

Is it possible for the news to make me sicker?

Anyway, glad you are safe & thanks for the report.

I'm watching soaps today!

Blessings,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Wise***--yes stress will make you sick--there is even scientific evidence on that--I bet the CDC would even agree! :-D

Beach--hopefully most people realize that it is just the lowest of the low that are doing the shotting--and that is what sells papers or tv time or whatever... As for the loiting--if you have no food, no water and the store is closed and your baby is crying--what are you going to do? Taking diapers, food and water is not loiting--taking a tv is!

I saw one poor woman cover her face with diapers as she left the store--what could she do?There is nothing dry to put on that baby and no clean water--what choice did she have?

What scares me is I'm afraid this is just the dress rehersal for the next terrorist attack--hopefully we will learn from our mistakes and do better when we have another emergency.

I am so grateful you are o.k. and appreciate your calming voice and time during such a difficult period.

God bless you all down there--we are all praying for everyone--as we load up the 18 wheeler with flat head shovels, work gloves, diapers, clothing, water and food.

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement