LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » member rating needs to go

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: member rating needs to go
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has probably already been discussed, but I feel the member rating needs to disappear from this board. This board is for support not popularity.

If it is not going to go away, then any newbie ought to receive 5 stars for just being brave enough to post here among all of us weirdos.(actually I speak only of myself as a crazy person) [Big Grin]

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week--the weekend is almost here! Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new here as of yesterday and noticed the member ratings. I don't think I've ever seen that on a forum (I've been on the FM/CFS forum for several years so this is new to me.)

So naturally my inclination is to wonder how in the world do you get all those stars by your name!

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree....I would give you both 5 stars if I knew how to do it. [Actually I'm too lazy to find out.] [confused]

I think the answer is in this link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013514

[and the discussion is in this link too]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:
This has probably already been discussed, but I feel the member rating needs to disappear from this board. This board is for support not popularity.

If it is not going to go away, then any newbie ought to receive 5 stars for just being brave enough to post here among all of us weirdos.(actually I speak only of myself as a crazy person) [Big Grin]

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week--the weekend is almost here! Hiker

I agree. Exactly how are we supposed to be using this info anyway? What is the purpose? WHAT are we rating?

If you go into the edit profile area, you can set this so it does not allow people to rate you.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 12 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone likened the 5 stars to competing in a dog show....

it is definately judgmental...should I prance now or heel?? I don't know...lol

daniella [loco] [confused]

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are member ratings?

The administrators of this message board may permit members to rate each other. Only registered members may be rated and they can only be rated by other members. Even if ratings are being used on this board, you may elect to not have other members rate you. To turn off member ratings for yourself, just change your profile settings. This option can be disabled by the board administrators.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq#ratings

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct, it has been discussed before.

I edited my profile to delete the rating, which anyone can do. This feature has not been getting good press and it probably won't last much longer.

The explanation for this was previously posted by site admin. This was a feature in new program they acquired, so they are looking to see which features will be kept and which will be disabled.You can look for those posts and consult FAQ.

Think that one benefit was thought to be distinguishing newbies from old timers and allowing posters to judge those who provide reliable info from those who don't. Might also identify trolls.

However, it looked to me like this could be used by trolls too. And voicing an unpopular opinion could be punished, even if it was useful. For example, sometimes people come here with alternative treatments they feel help them, and then others chime in. No one dares to challenge this, so newbies and others get the idea it is the magic cure. Someone who tried these things and wasn't helped just keeps quiet, which is not good for getting the whole spectrum of experience.

The other thing is that sick people frequently have short fuses. The reaction to this star thing is an example. Someone already threatened to leave the forum because of this. We are up against such awful situations, stress accumulates, we rage against small things that, in more rational times, would be laughed off or a more measured response would be made.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. [grouphug]

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,I tried to disable mine and it still kicked in.?I'm still figuring it all out,plus I'm learning Algebra all over again,Making me goofy.

So,I quess I will kindly accept thanks for winning in the COUCH POTATO class this week.

I use to compete in the sporting class,went over to the front porch competition,my owners finally had to place me here.

Woof Woof.Sorry,probably need to go to the house on the hill by now!!

Anyway,thanks,things lookin good and workin so much better.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lou:

The explanation for this was previously posted by site admin. This was a feature in new program they acquired, so they are looking to see which features will be kept and which will be disabled.You can look for those posts and consult FAQ.

Tree posted it above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tbrown
Founding Member
Member # 3

Icon 2 posted      Profile for tbrown   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's your chance to vote the "member ratings" feature up or down:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000648

--------------------
 -
Thomas Brown
LymeNet System Administrator and Founding Member

Posts: 82 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Oct 1993  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turned off my rating from my profile.

I have been going everywhere on the board giving everyone 5 stars. I can't help it.

Heather
 -

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, I do exactly the same thing!

I figure unless you're a troll, as one member said, anyone who's dealing on a day-to=day basis with this awful disease deserves 5 stars.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather,

i'm a 5-star awarder guilty person myself! couldn't help it. only gave out 5's. as i read thru posts, if i recognized someone whose posts i had read and knew a helpful person and espeacially if i had met them in person i gave them a "5".

if it was someone i did not recognize yet, and despite how long i've been a regurlar here (although, can be away from computer, and just life in general for long streatches), can take a while to learn names and their posts. but if i found a person's post that i happened to read be in any way poignant, wether i remembered reading any of thier past posts or not, i gave them a "5".

since this katrina horror, i've been going to "offtopic" and reading posts more than usual. i did find it amusing to see that a poster who seems a trouble maker, and too well to be so .... i'm too tired to put so much into words, and anyway, in a light, playful mood.

anyway, amused to see him get a , well let's just say less than four, and , now can't remember, but think more than a couple people voted. and this was when the stars first popped up! and then, next time i actually realized, were no more stars next to his name.

had figured out how to give stars - gives you a choice to check off when you read each post. i quickly stopped rating people ( [Smile] giving out "5's" as it was too tedious to constantly go thru the extra stuff)!

was suprised to see that i rated a 5 right in the beginning. Heather? [Smile] only one person voted for me. which is quite amusing, because i too am one of the most insane among us. i have the med records now to prove i am in fact insane. and i halucinate. but blue cross/blue shield doesn't think this warrents any more than 6 weeks of I.V. rocephen.

we've known for years (decades now?) that i am insane. was part of my charm. we just did not know why. now we know why.

but it was very wierd to see. and i was so used to the way lymenet always was. (though i think before i found the internet at the library - '99? - i'm told lymenet was unmoderated. liked sci-med still is. got too much like the wild west.).

but, not that i am opposed to change, but just like Daneille said, too much like a dog show. and others made similar , and much like my reaction, opinons.

and as lou also points out and what occurred to me even as i chuckled at the few stars the scary poster i noticed got when all the other people who got stars all got a 5, it can be used to smoke out the trolls, but can just as easily be used to do harm.

i'm not opposed to people posting about alternative cures. accupuncture was not that long ago looked at from conventional, western medicine as "quakery", as , and in still many cases, such as...

... the upenn internist in bucks co., PA, who told me at the first o.v. that i did not have lyme disease (as many in our lyme endemic are had), ignoring the heart block ( he also claims to specialize in cardiology), lyme meningitis, lyme encephalopathy, hard to ignore...

...(but area neuro's manage to too) serious neuro symptoms, arthritis, arms drawn up in such severe pain, i could not straighten them out all the way, severe nerve pain, severe insomnia, whole body stiff around the clock, swelling and musculo-skelletal stuff from an auto accident almost a yr before - finnally got dx, too late to have my med care paid by the insurence co. of the guy that hit me...

i had some physical therapy. and mocked at all the stuff i said i had wrong, though p.t. convinced me he was sympathetic and did research about lyme to help me as much as possible. i was supposed to go 3x a wk for 12 wks, could only afford 2x a week as i am denied disability thank to these "med prof.", and we had a $20 co-pay. my husband and children are sick too. husband and daughter not as bad.

had to deal with being molested. p.t.'s way of dealing with a "malingerer" after the 12 allotted weeks are up? should have known from the person - neighbor i hate now - that this ws yet another med proffessional that really isn't. my daughter went to a small private school with the daughter of a reknowned pediatric infectious disease dr. of the allen steere sort.

and so, upenn dr thought all my symptoms "funny" as he pretended to "care" and told me first office visit that i in fact had an incurable disease called "fibromyalgia" and the severe pain, double vision, heart abnormalities, sleep "troubles", swollen brain, were all just discomforts and common in women almost "40".

i was 37, alomst 38. (and they kept writing in my records i was 30. grant t. liu even said i was younger than him. he had major aging issues. and was major abusive. now specializes in pediatric M.S. do a search). i had two young children who were not growing up in slow motion. my children were sick since enfants, he did not seemed charmed by them. not a baby person. but they and thier children are healthy.

o.k., enough about these mainstream, "best of the best" conventional drs. i am skeptical about a lot of the alternative stuff i read, and know i am cognitively impaired, and cannot think clearly, and am desperate for my family and myself to be better NOW!, and so must be careful.

and i have shopped at healthfood stores for years. ate wholegrains for yrs before it was popular and thought to be a "fanatic". so much help i got from persuing holistic health before it ws popular. but also know how the healthfood store i shopped for yrs took advantage of my severe illness.

the girlfriend from another country, who pampered herself with the best, would seem to always come up with a total much higher than i expected. i was aware i had become like an alzhiemer's patient, and though once excelled at calculus, now simple arithmatic was a challenge.

and we were loyal costumers for yrs, so thought i ws off. then it just became apparrent that the total was outragiously high only when she ws at the cash register. we had become socially friendly with these people.

so i went home, wrote the price and name of every item as i took it out of the bag, and went thru the numbers and compared it to the cash recipt many times until i was convinced i could not have made a mistake, and took it back to the store. i did not make a mistake it was determined. have not been back there since.

so, we are worth so much more sick and diabled to so many than we are healthy. it is scary. even in my immediate family, how unconcerned they were with me, for thier own selfish - and unbelievably inhumane - agendas. and they get away with it because " i look great", and my disease is "yuppy flu".

i've been typing too long. it's just that, the star system can scare off people with valubale things to say , just because there might be a very vocal few, or many here, who for various reasons ( don't belive in anything alternative, don't like people who like cats, hate people who like tomato's, whatever...), who scare them off. onlyl want thier narrow view to be heard, even if it is only a few select subjects they are narrow about and often are reasonable.

so, yes, the star system has to go. and i have 5 stars!!! probably not anymore [Smile] . i'm sure several of you have already typed in one star and lowered my score. and not fair! i haven't figured out how to shut them off, though i do remember the post of how to do it.

better stop posting and try to sleep now. nite, nite!

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather,

How did you turn it off. I didnt see where that can be done. Thanks. [spinning smile]

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kara Tyson:
Heather,

How did you turn it off. I didnt see where that can be done. Thanks. [spinning smile]

Click
my profile

then
� View/Update Profile �

towards bottom.
Your Preferences

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we could start all over and reverse the process by voting/posting stars only for known or highly suspected trolls?

[group hug]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted in the poll for whether or not to keep the stars, but I noticed that not many people had. Do people realize that the link tbrown gave is to a poll as to whether or not people want to keep the star feature?

It seems like so many people have such strong opinions, more people would be voting in the poll. It's your chance to say how you want it to be.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing is that I went from 5 stars to 4.

Someone demoted me.

There is a thread on OT where I disagreed w/some ppl and I guess someone didn't like my opinions.

HAHAHAHAHA

I got a really good laugh from this!

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 13 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree also. This is a place to come to for support and information, not a popularity forum.

[woohoo]
I do like most of the changes though, but not this one.

Jean [hi]

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i voted to keep it. i just saw that, in medical, i was "stripped" of two stars. this now means that i can only command a parade as a 3 star "officer," instead of an army as a "5-star" general. [Big Grin]

[woohoo] [bow] [woohoo]

[woohoo] [puke] [woohoo]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement