LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » New Family Member with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Family Member with Lyme
Kathy Boss
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Boss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

My questions are not for me, they are for my niece.

I feel so bad coming back asking for help when I have been gone for so long and on occasion come back to say hello and add what I can.

I have such great faith in the ones that have helped me and my one and only LLMD I am reaching out to all.

My niece now has a DX of Lyme with a co-infection I am not fimiliar with. E. She is very upset and sick.

My Niece most likely got sick at my house. I lived in the out skirts of the city. Open fields, critters, my dog, many ticks.....She stayed at my house so many weekends. So many times.

I not only have my assistant from work that got very sick and still is...but my niece too now.

They say it is not airborn. How did two people very close to me get so sick in two different states? 11 years apart?

I am so confused.....

God Bless my niece listened and got to my LLMD for a DX and is now on ABX. I am not a fan of ABX but, I feel it is in everyyones best interest to start that first.

She will be on this board soon. She was very upset at first but like the rest of us is researching, trying to hang on and knows of searching Lyme on the internet.

I'm not trying to keep her from it. I just want her to research the science of it first to have a better understanding of the disease before she starts gathering information and doing too many things at once trying to get well.

Which she has already started doing somewhat.

You know, buying any and all vitamins, minerals (which are good for you by the right maker and dose) and alternative treatment with no real idea what it really does for you.... what ever she hears might work she will try.

Apple does not fall far from the tree does it for those that know me.

Maybe the biggest reason why I am so scared for her.

She is grabbing at straws right now. Thank goodness she is not as sick as me in the beginning.

I'm so sorry to come here dumping on you all tonight. I guess looking for help again like I did the first time.

My baby niece I feel so responsible for her being so sick. We already share so many familiar stories of pain and suffering.

I can handle this for me but for her.....

Her mother I say I'm sorry to and my gut just turns.

I am so lost.......I don't even know what I am really asking for.

I just showed up again.

Looks like I'll be asking many questions again. Things have changed over the last two years and like all of us with Lyme.

She is different from me of course but...shares many similarities.

We do have Igenx test results and co-infections.

Thank you to all.....Kat [kiss]

Posts: 1092 | From CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathy - I'm so sorry to hear this and that you are feeling so guilty.

Have you ever read the paper written by Dr. H of Houston? His research indicated a HUGE number of the population could be infected w/ this and not even know it or be symptomatic; further, they would then unknowingly be transfering it to spouses, children etc.

This is true in my family. I was the one battling 20 years of "unknown" illness. Doctor after doctor after doctor. Finally, upon being dx w/ Bb etc and being cared for by Dr. H - we looked to others in my family.

Hubby = yes; daughter = yes and after years of nagging my mom was tested eventhough she had no "classic" symptoms and = yes.

Where did I become infected? Who knows for sure. As a child in East Texas - ticks were part of the everyday life of my exploring, woods loving, horse riding self!!

Looking at my family history, I know suspect my maternal grandmother probably had Bb and was not "crazy" as dx'd! Maybe I'm wrong but, her symptoms from back then, mimic many of mine!

I do know that my child was born w/ problems both from a horrid obgyn / delivery and also w/ very subtle symptoms I now know were MOST PROBABLY Bb related - ie: Bells Palsy - age 2, severe reflux, frequent fevers etc.

She has NEVER ever been in the vicinty of a tick - I KNOW that for a fact! W/ her physical disabilty, playing outside isn't something she did very much.

I know I spun round and round trying to figure out how this happened to my family! Didn't fix anything tho!! Made for interesting thought process and some guilt - not all that healthy in the long run!

After our dx, I was talking w/ a friend of my husbands (a dentist) who was having vague symptoms of numbness/tingling in his arms and really bad fatigue. Yup - he was positive and now his wife and 2 of his kids have tested positive as have 2 of the wife's brothers - one of whom has been dx'd for a very long time as schizophrenic and institutionalized (sp).

Where'd it start? Who knows!

Best of luck to you and please try not to blame yourself. All we can do is pray that it isn't airborne. So far, I've read nothing to suggest that and I hope I never do!

But, then again, the CDC doesn't really agree w/ the sexual or familial transfer theory either - but, I'm living that dream!

Sherry

--------------------
 -

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathy dear -

Guilt is such a useless emotion for the most part, I think. It will not serve you or her or anyone for that matter.

YOU did NOT cause her to get Lyme. Your backyard is not the sole area where Lyme bacteria is contained - if it were - the rest of us wouldn't be in the messes we're in!

I just recently found out that my 11 y.o. daughter has Lyme. And yes, at first, there was twinges of guilt, having passed it to her in utereo. But I didn't know. And guilt does not make it go away - it only adds stress for me, and that's not healthy.

Yes, there is so much to learn and do - but I'm willing to bet that with such a loving and EXPERIENCED aunt to guide her - your neice will benefit from the fact that you have already traveled down this road before her. You can show her where the potholes are.

You'll be able to hold her hand and tell her that you DO understand how she feels because you REMEMBER.

So, altho I'm sorry that your dear sweet neice is having to face this challenge - I want you to see that she is indeed blessed to have an aunt that loves her so much, someone that is willing to go before her to ask the questions, willing to guide her and support her.

Don't waste your energy on guilt. Focus on how much you can love her thru this difficult time.

Blessings,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement