LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Medicare Prescription Benefit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Medicare Prescription Benefit
rosesisland2000
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if this has been talked about before now...

I'm wondering about the new prescription benefit and was hoping someone here knows something about the program(s).

I'm still confused and was hoping that someone here could straighten me out or has some good links for me to study that makes simple sense.

Thanks, in advance,

--------------------
Rosemary

Please pray for our troops!!!

Click here for a POSITIVE Lyme Disease website

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely, someone who posts here is having to choose a program for their prescription coverage...

Just wanting to know what others are doing about their coverage...

Any ideas?

--------------------
Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roses,

At the end of my medicare summaries it says you can start choosing a plan as of November 15th.

I've got exactly no information from the SSA!
There was supposed to be information mailed out in the fall. Well, it's fall and all I know is I'm ineligible for extra help.

The only advice I've heard is to call the SSA. I don't think I should do that again. I'm afraid I'll rip somebody's head off or burst into tears.

Please let me know if you find anything out. I'll post if I ever get any info.

(Unfortunately, the only other thing I'm pretty sure of is this is going to cost me more then what I'm paying now.) [Frown]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone who has other coverage thru a spouse or self insured I would suggest staying with that.....
I got some info from ssa but of course I lost it somewhere...I figured it was worth bubkiss to me cuz I'm on my wife's insurance where she works...

It's something like you have to pay a certain amount deductable...like the firs 600 or something and then they help pay the next 400 and then you pay again after that to a certain amount for the year...
I'll look for it and try to get back to you...
For someone with no script insurance it's good I GUESS...but for the most part it stinks...

The aarp should be up in arms over the pitiful attempt at a fair script plan for medicare recipients....
zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been waiting, too, for the promised info, but so far no joy. There are supposedly multiple plans to chose from, but I have been able to get zero info on any details yet. And yes, supposedly we can start signing up mid November.

That's an awful lot of supposedlys, huh? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 3 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, thanks for replying...I actually went to the SSA.gov site and lo, and behold, right there on that site is the links to the pamplet that they were suppose to have mailed out this summer (and as I see here not many got that information).

You can actually apply right on that site for them to select the best match for you. So, I guess I answered my own question.

You can start the app and save your information and come back later just like those on-line tax returns allow you to do.

Good luck guys and I guess soon we will all have the answers that we need in just one more dealings with the FEDS.

Take care,

--------------------
Rosemary

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

My husband/I just received our 06 medicare & you booklet over the weekend. I have just started reading it & it is pretty user friendly!

quoting page 44....
"1. I have a rx drug coverage from a former or current employer or union. What do I need to know?

Medicare will help employers or unions continue to provide retiree drug coverage that MEETS medicare's stands.

Your, or your spouse's former employer or current employers/union will SEND YOU INFORMATION ABOUT HOW YOUR CURRENT COVERAGE COMPARES TO THE MEDICARE STANDARD RX DRUG COVERAGE BY NOV. 14, 2005.

This information is IMPORTANT because it can affect the decision you will need to make this fall about if and when you sign up for medicare rx drug cverage.

If youror spouse's employer/union has determined that you current coverage, ON AVERAGE IS AT LEAST AS GOOD AS medicare's standard rx drug coverage, called creditable rx drug coverage:

[LIST]You can KEEP it as long as it is still offered by your employer/union, and

. You WON'T have to pay a PENALTY IF you employer/union STOPS offering rx drug coverage as LONG YOU JUOIN A MEDICARE DRUG PLAN WITHIN 63 DAYS ater the coverage ends..even if you juoint after May 15, 2006.

VERY IMPORTANT: When you your former employer sends you a letter about your rx drug benefits, KEEP IT...make copies of it! This states what the price is!

If you "lose or throw it away", it will cost you 1% PER MONTH when you eventually sign up. If you wait 5 years, that's 60% INCREASE!

When the SHIIP rep talked to a huge group, she said the people having the BEST current benefits were:

federal, state, & large group policy holders,
world war 2 vets,
and other vets having served in later wars!

Visit www.medicare.gov and the entire booklet is on therE!

MY TIME'S UP TODAY, but here's a brief guidline about this.

bettyg, Iowa

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Roses and Betty ~
I can't even get into Medicare's website. [shake]

I'll try agin later.

Last I looked, if you had no other coverage and didn't sign up to one you would be penalized. The monthly fee would be higher if you waited to join one. (I can't afford a monthly fee and meds. How's this gonna work?)

Anybody got any good news?

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 7 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot believe it...right there in my mailbox, yesterday, was the "Medicare & You", 2006, "This year is different".

So, with it being about 100 pages, I've got some reading to do.

I can't imagine why you can not get into the www.SSA.gov spot. I've never had that problem. This official booklet is right there on the SSA site, for those who have not gotten it in the mail yet.

Anyway, good luck to you all...

--------------------
Rosemary

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rose,
It just came up from your link. Off to read it now!

[Frown] It's going to cost me an entire month's SSDI payment just for the coverage and then I have to pay the $250 deductable and THEN it takes off 75% of my cost which, right now, is conciderably less than the price of the coverage.

Can't do it. Shouldn't have looked. [shake]
I'll call the state tomorrow but I'm not optimistic. For the most part, since I'm not a senior, I'm not eligible for any programs in FL.

I'm still reeling from the increase in price and lessening in coverage from Medicare's increase last year.

I'm even more worried that the PA programs that are now in place will dry up and I won't be able to get anything from those either.

Yup, more stress and less availability of meds, that'll cure TBI's. (Sorry, for the sarcasm and the whining.)

[ 13. October 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: trueblue ]

--------------------
more light, more love

vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when the democrats get in, they'll sweeten the benefits. i'd join.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was denied the right to even apply for any of the insurances BECAUSE .... my resources are TOO HIGH. I have $25,000 in a retirement plan that added up while I was still able to work. I just turned 49 .... I can't even touch these funds until I am of retirement age. Just more government crap!!!

Right now I have a medigap bc/bs policy that pays $1250/year after I pay the $250 deductible . My scripts are just under $1,000 a month so my insurance coverage does not last too long. And these scripts are just my 'everyday' ones. Antibiotics are on top of that ..... that's why I have been off all abx since last year.

Right now I'm still fighting with Medicare about resuming my IV abx. They say I need to get them at my Dr's office each day (sometimes twice a day). MY LLMD IS 3 HOURS AWAY!!! We have a wonderful infusion center just a few miles from me, but NO they won't cover that. Also trying to figure out why I am no longer house-bound as I was for the last 3 years I was doing my own IV's at home. Nothing has changed.

I'm just at a standstill right now. One more phone call with Medicare might put me right over the edge.

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 12 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Shadow, it seems to just go from bad to worse for ya...hope that things "turn around" for you soon.

--------------------
Rosemary

trueblue
Member # 7348

Shadow,
I'm sorry. I know what it's like I can't even think about the medicare people without going over the edge. I'm not eligible for any medigap and haven't even tried to apply for any of the prescription plans.

I was on IV for a few months 4 years ago and don't think I can go through it again. The hospital wouldn't infuse me because my doc is not on staff, it's too far away.

A local infusion center would only let me go there for 30 days. I had free Rocephin and had a heck of a time getting to use even a portion of it.

(It's near impossible to get any treatment at all. I rely on PA programs and samples, not the way I'd choose to treat this.)

As for house bound status, try calling a nursing service and see what the requirements are now. 4 years ago, you could only leave the house for religious services and grooming. [shake]

Basically, enabling you to pray for a haircut. [loco]

--------------------
more light, more love

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement