LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Tick-Borne Disease Transmission by Blood Donation Prevalent in Endemic Areas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tick-Borne Disease Transmission by Blood Donation Prevalent in Endemic Areas
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some interesting info on blood donation transmission of tick-borne disease. This is the first time I have seen a study done on blood donation danger. Does anyone know if a study has been done on Lyme? I don't think so.

Ann-OH

Infectious Diseases Society of America 43rd Annual Meeting
October 6 - 9, 2005, San Francisco, California

http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/4595

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/514364

Tick-Borne Disease Transmission by Blood Donation Prevalent in Endemic Areas

Mary Beth Nierengarten
Information from Industry
The Neuroscience Institute - Provides cutting edge neuroscience information, including research reports, news, conference coverage and expert commentary on areas of interest within the neurosciences. It also offers physicians the scientific underpinnings of current therapeutic research.

Oct. 11, 2005 (San Francisco) -- The need to develop strategies to prevent transmission of tick-borne disease via blood transfusion is increasing as new reports continue to surface. Although not as much in the popular press as Lyme disease, Babesia microti is creating its own quieter havoc.

In a study presented here at the Infectious Diseases Society of America 43rd annual meeting, Megan Nguyen, BS, from the American Red Cross in Rockville, Maryland, presented data from a six-year study that showed the prevalence of B microti transmission via blood transfusion in areas where the tick is commonly found.

Examination of 13,573 samples from blood donors from 1999 to 2004 in endemic regions of Connecticut showed that 175 samples (1.3%) tested positive for B microti infection based on indirect fluorescent antibody testing.

Of these 175, 129 donors consented to participate in a three-year follow-up study in which they were tested by IFA for the presence of antibodies to B microti as well as receiving nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing for parasitemia on a regular basis. Overall, 27 donors (21%) were found to have parasitemia as indicated by a positive PCR test, suggesting that some patients have persistent, ongoing infection.

In addition, parasitemia rates decreased from 55% in the first two years of the follow-up study to 3% in the third and final year. Ms. Nguyen said the study did not show a clear reason for this, adding that many factors could account for it.

Ms. Nguyen emphasized that "anybody who has had B microti is permanently prohibited from donating blood" and is registered in the blood bank system of the Red Cross nationwide. However, it is important to identify those people infected with B microti prior to blood donation. According to Ms. Nguyen, most of the transfusion-related transmission occurs through people who are infected with the tick-borne disease but who are asymptomatic.

Identifying infected people before they donate blood is therefore an important goal in reducing the risk of transfusion-related B microti transmission, but the best way to do this is not yet clear, she said.

Richard Whitley, MD, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Alabama in Birmingham who moderated the session, told Medscape that prospective blood donors are not currently screened routinely for tick-borne diseases, an issue that needs to be addressed by local blood banks.

However, Ms. Nguyen told Medscape she is hopeful "that there will be screening" or a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for testing before donation. Unfortunately, she added, she does not know of any test under investigation for FDA approval.

IDSA 43rd Annual Meeting: Abstract LB-3. Presented Oct. 7, 2005.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

Information from Industry
The Neuroscience Institute - Provides cutting edge neuroscience information, including research reports, news, conference coverage and expert commentary on areas of interest within the neurosciences. It also offers physicians the scientific underpinnings of current therapeutic research.

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called the Red Cross when I found out I had this and asked them to tell the people who got my blood. I use to belong to the bloody bucket or whatever you get for giving a lot of blood...

The Red Cross refused.

This is our big lawsuit--we could get a lot of attention and get the word out.

Anyone think they got LD from bad blood?

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood donation aside, this just proves what I was saying on another thread about babesia treatment: the disease persists. I don't think you can get rid of it. Many folks are asymptomatic, though.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaFunk
Member # 8019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaFunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I donated blood three times before I found out I had Lyme Disease and Babesiosis. I worked at The Red Cross when I found out I had Babesiosis. I had to notify them to track down the people who received my blood, because my blood could have made them very sick, or die. [Frown]
Posts: 37 | From Jamestown, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement