LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » natural tick reppellent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: natural tick reppellent
Caryn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and it smells nice too! (although, maybe a bit girly).

2 tablespoons of vegatable oil or nut oil ( almond oil contains sulfer, a repellent in it's own right).

10 - 25 drops rose geranium essential oil. combine in a glass jar and shake to blend. shelf life is 6 mos.

dab on skin or clothing or pets coller. do be careful with essential oils as they can burn skin an harm eyes.

palmarosa is a sister oil to rose geranium and also repels ticks. it is cheaper and maybe easier to find than rose geranium.

second best essential oit for repelling ticks is american pennyroyal (tickweed). aviod using pennyroyal if anyone in the house is pregnant including animals as it can induce miscarrage.

garlic pills are also useful in repelling ticks. it can be given to dogs, but do not give garlic to cats.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this stuff really work! I have been using Frontline Plus for years and doggie has never had a flea or tick.

Ive read about the natural way on other sites but am afraid of its absolute ability to repell.

How often do you have to put this stuff on and if you just put it on the collar how bout the other end for ticks. Im not always real reliable about remembering or even being capable.

All life is risk/reward and the Frontling is a risk Ive chosen to use because of the reward.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princeli
Member # 8106

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Princeli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'd stop using Frontline - but I know of studies that were done with Rose Geranium and ticks and the ticks TURN AWAY from it, where as, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, etc., they walked right through! I used Geranium daily...
Posts: 4 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schnuddelka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8031

Icon 10 posted      Profile for schnuddelka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own a company and we manufacture nothing but all natural bath and body products. I can tell you that Rose Geranium oil truly does repel ticks and other bugs if mixed with lavender and clove oils. Eucalyptus can cause respiratory problems on children and people with asthma so be careful. One topic I know something about.

--------------------
When given lyme make lymeade!
A tick check a day keeps lyme away! [email protected]
Raising awareness by creating as many lymebassadors as possible!

Posts: 158 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schnuddelka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8031

Icon 10 posted      Profile for schnuddelka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with cedar creek products and we manufacture nothing but all natural bath and body products. I can tell you that Rose Geranium oil truly does repel ticks and other bugs if mixed with lavender and clove oils. Eucalyptus can cause respiratory problems on children and people with asthma so be careful. One topic I know something about.

--------------------
When given lyme make lymeade!
A tick check a day keeps lyme away! [email protected]
Raising awareness by creating as many lymebassadors as possible!

Posts: 158 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so do you suggest mixing lavendar and clove with the rose geranium? what is the most efficacious?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryteeyez808080
Member # 7923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bryteeyez808080     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes it does. When we first found out about John having Lyme disease someone told us if you ever fing a tick on you take veg. oil and rub it aroung the tick. The tick cant breath and will back off and let go of your skin and then you can remove it easily....

Joyce

Posts: 34 | From MASS | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still trying to get my impaired brain around this subject.

If I mix this up and cant put it on my skin how can I reach my bare hand down to the ground and pick up stuff when its too hot for long sleeves.

Does just a dab on my shirt or pants really transmitt that far.

If you are wearing something decent wont the oils ruin your clothing if you can only put it on your clothing?

The more I read the confusder I get.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement