LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Famous People with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Famous People with Lyme
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Tommy Hilfiger has Lyme and his 2 children.If this is true are they helping our cause?..He is prettty famous I'd say...

daniella [kiss]

[ 28. October 2005, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: daniella ]

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaFunk
Member # 8019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaFunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he is an honorary committee member of the Lyme Disease Association (so is Chevy Chase and his wife!). There's obviously some connection between Tommy Hilfiger and Lyme Disease.
Posts: 37 | From Jamestown, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaFunk
Member # 8019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaFunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a list of some celebrities that have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease:

Michael J. Fox
Richard Gere
Chelsea O'Donnell, daughter of Rosie O'Donnell, TV hostess
George E. Pataki, Governor of New York
Pete Seeger, folk singer and activist
Jamie Lynn Sigler, singer (Meadow on "The Sopranos")

Posts: 37 | From Jamestown, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot Hall, or was it Oats?
Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Cher had CFS.....
Then of course Montel in denial

Don't hear much from them do we....?

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryl Hall........and yes, Montel and Michael J. Fox are in bigtime denial.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alice walker had (has?) lyme.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Alice Walker got it in that tick infested coastal range that is so luring and magnificent and so dangerous!

Last she spoke, (years ago that I know of) she said she was cured and was making peace with getting back into her garden, but I sometimes wonder HOW she could be CURED after she had neuro lyme and is she hiding here on the board?

Why isnt she part of the Lyme Literateee?

Hilfiger and chevy chase---I never KNEW!

Any others that we can verify?
Trails  -

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy Tan, the writer.

hopeful123 [Big Grin]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they all better? Or do they keep battling like us? I'd love to know...

--------------------
~Things may happen in my life time to change who I am but I refuse to let them reduce me...~

Posts: 968 | From private | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

Maybe they could all get together for a television special on lyme!!! Raise millions of dollars for reasearch and find a cure!

And we could all take it and be better!.......just a novel thought...lol [kiss]

daniella [woohoo]

--------------------

Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know one of these famouse people so we could call and see if they would start the ball moving amoung the rich and famous?

What gets me is all the people on Martha's Vineyard--why aren't they making a stink and doing more? They are famous and rich.

What about the Kenndys?!!!

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there is the Lyme Literati group that has raised tons of money and awareness.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Literati_with_Lyme.html

But, yeah, we could use a posterchild, huh?

No offense to the literatis, coz they have been VERY generous and worked very hard, but you know the public, they need a MOVIE STAR ***** to make em get off their arses.

Trails [Wink]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Rebecca Wells, the author who wrote the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.
She has periodic updates about her progress on her website and just posted a new one this past week.

It seems she's still very sick, and her husband has just been dx

www.ya-ya.com

Plus the quarterback at Florida State University who was dx over the summer...

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actors are afraid to let everyone know they have Lyme because then they might not be hired. Who wants to hire someone who may not be able to work long hours?

who's Alice Walker?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out AMy Tan's new web site. She talks about her battle with ongoing lyme disease.

http://www.AmyTan.net/

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Alice Walker- Author of THE COLOR PURPLE
and
Ex-lover of Tracy Chapman
[Eek!]

I bet she would hate to be known for only those two things so:

She wrote about her undiagnosed and SEVERE nuero lyme in her book SAME RIVER TWICE.

She has written many other wonderful pieces and novels.

She continues to be an activist for women of color.

Trails

[bow]

daniella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6753

wow Amy Tan's site is great! She really understands the battle...

--------------------

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
montel may have gotten veiled threats of withdrawal of advertising sponsors for his show, were he to address lyme disease.

i'm sure he's investigating TBDs as a cause of his MS. he was a marine, and i'd presume therefore that he was made aware of infections as a military person.

look at what ophrah winfrey went through with the mad cow disease. imagine the money she spent on this topic.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriella7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Can anyone give me a link to the fact that Michael J. Fox has Lyme Disease. I know about the Parkinson's but didn't know he has lyme also. I have recently been dx'd with lyme after my dx of MS 3 years ago. I did not know that Montel Williams has lyme in addition to MS?

My youngest son has ben dx'd with Parkinson's so for that reason would like confirmation to point him in that direction to see if lyme is the cause of his dx. He is not going to just take Momma's word for it. [lol]

Gabriella [bonk]

Posts: 58 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so far as i know, montel, and fox are dx'd with m.s.

lyme mimics ms,als,and too many other diseases to mention.

atkinson-barr, Ph.D did a study testing 150 als patients; many, if not most, tested positive for lyme disease, and/or other tick-borne infections.
search the name on this site, and you'll pull up the study, which is also on http://www.lymenet.de

parkinsonism has been one diagnosis for lyme disease, or multiple infections from teh bite of an insect. ticks are not the only insects that carry borrelia, and other pathogens.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Alice Walker here are some more
authors:
Amy Tan,Jordan Fisher Smith, Meg Cabot, E. Jean Carroll, executive editor Jennifer Weis of St. Martin's Press.(all participated in the "Lyme Literati" program.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a post from some time ago, where Melissa posted a list of celebrities who have/had Lyme.

Michael J. Fox had Lyme disease in the late '90's. He talked about it on Letterman and it was a cover story for one of the tabloids.

Ann - OH
[quote]
For some reason I remembered that Seattle "The Real World" on MTV had a gal with LD so I went looking to see what had happened to her. In anycase, ran across this while I was doing that.
Don't know why, but it made me feel better to know this many people in the public eye have had to deal with this too. So I thought I'd share the list. If nothing else it might be useful to those of you doing political stuff for LD.

Berkley Bedell, former Iowa Congressman
Neneh Cherry, member of musical group "Fine Young Cannibals"
Mary-Lynn Currier, marathoner
Nick Esasky, former baseball player
Michael J. Fox, actor
Julie Furtado, professional bike rider
Richard Gere, actor
Pete Harnisch, New York Mets pitcher
Rob Hill, TargetChip Ganassi Racing team crew chief
Rob Kress, former Detroit weathercaster, WXYZ (Channel 7)
Wanda Kurdziel - hiker/backpacker
Irene McGee, former cast member of MTV's "The Real World"
Tara McMenamy, three-time All-American cross country skier
Carrie Nye, Dick Cavett's wife
Chelsea O'Donnell, daughter of Rosie O'Donnell, TV hostess
George E. Pataki, Governor of New York
Gary Player, golfer
Kevin Salem, rocker
Tom Seaver, former New York Mets pitcher
Pete Seeger, folk singer and activist
Jamie Lynn Sigler, singer (Meadow on "The Sopranos")
Tim Simpson, professional golfer
Diane Varsi, actress
Alice Walker, author
Christie Todd Whitman, Governor of New Jersey
Michael Zaslow - Soap Opera, "Guiding Light", actor

~Melissa

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabriella7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pq, The site you posted in in german and mentions a person named Fox as a contributor but not the same. Montel Williams has MS but I have never read anything about Lyme. His website is:
http://www.montelms.org/
(The Lyme spirochette can be the cause of MS but it has never been proven. I have both with the MS dx coming 3 years ago. I hope and pray that the treatment for the Lyme will be the ultimate answer for my progression of MS.

Ann, Michael J. Fox announced his bout with Parkinson's in the late 90's but he has had it for a lot longer. He could have both. I have never read or heard that he has lyme. If you find it in writing I would be interested in the site. His website is:

http://michaeljfox.org/

Gabriella [bonk]

Posts: 58 | From Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann-OH:
Michael Zaslow - Soap Opera, "Guiding Light", actor

He officially died of "ALS" ... or was it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just talking to a woman on the phone and telling her about my Lyme and she said that Martha Stewart has had it three times.

I have no idea if this is true or where she got that information, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially being from conneticut.

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are probably lots of celebrities with Lyme, but I'm sure they have the same problem that we have: getting a diagnosis.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Martha and lyme. May be that that would explain certain things.

If nothing else, we can relate to house arrest.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabriella7
Member # 7862

Thanks [confused] for letting me know about Alice Walker's book entitled "The Same River Twice". I picking it up from the library tomorrow and looking forward to her autobiography? Spelling was once my strongest suit but alas Lyme sometimes makes the spelling of the simplest words impossible. Also memory of who told me about the book!

Gabriella [bonk]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement