LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme Friendly Jobs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Friendly Jobs?
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I sure that title sounds like an oxymoron if there is one. Certainly with chronic lyme &/or coinfections no job is easy, but what jobs do you think or know are best suited to people with our symptoms? Whether you've got a general idea on the types of work or procedures most suitable (or least unsuitable, however you like it) or a very specific job layed out in mind please chime in!

Here are a few of my thoughts for starters, though they're probably not very complete or good (hence the idea that not too much conceptualization be involved [Smile] )so feel free to modify, expand, contradict, or add your own:

*I'd think the "ideal" job for someone with lyme would include the folllowing:

*No strenous conceptual or problem-solving work
*No strenous physical exertion
*All or a large portion of the work could be done from at home.
*A large degree of personal control over your own work/projects.

I don't have any idea of any specific job that would be like that, all of that combined sounds suspciously like the archetypal "dream" job. Of course a lot of jobs, or maybe better described as "money-making schemes," on the internet promise things like this but I'd think without knowing where to start you'd end up mired in scams pursuing that route?

It's also very confounding to me how you guys support yourselves and the expensive treatment, for me it's so difficult many days just to perform all the necessities of living; how in the world does one support oneself? Do you rely on your family or spouses, disability, some kind of saving's plan, or are you able to still work? If you're still able to work, do you think your job is close to ideal for your situation, or is it one of those things you've absolutely had to force yourself to keep doing?

I'd hope this could be a very helpful thread cause obviously making ends meet is very hard for a lot of people, maybe those who've had a measure of success could share what worked for them?

Thanks very much to all who post,

john

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Substitute teaching can be good.

YOU get to decide if you are well enough to work that day, no one gets pissed when you dont show up for weeks at a time, no take home work, etc.

Pay can vary from horrible to decent.
No BENNIES [Frown]

Trails [Smile]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
I think the whole issue of money with this disease is hard.

I am self-employed as a writer and writing coach. That does give me some flexibility in terms of my schedule. But I now make about one-seventh of my pre-Lyme income as a corporate internet editorial director.

My s/o bears most of the weight of living expenses; my income seems like a paltry addition...and that's hard for me.

Not long ago, a very caring friend offered to pay me for cooking dinners for her each week. So I've added that to my work. Last holiday season, I made more than $2,500 selling holiday tins of shortbread to shops and at a craft fair.

I considered it this year and decided I'm just too sick to put all that together again.

If I were more adorable, I'd put my picture on a big old jar on the counter of the convenience store up the street [Wink]

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even now that I'm tons better, I can't imagine having enough energy to substitute teach! [Eek!] [I taught elem and know how much energy that takes.....arrrrgghhh!]

Home-based businesses are the BOMB!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEs lymetoo- but subbing is NOT the same energy level as teaching full time. When you dont have to deal with these kids and their PARENTS every single day, you can go and have fun with them and teach them to see the world in a different way than they have before.

- elementary is the most energy, but there is high school that is pretty much "here, do this busy work and yes go to the bathroom, take the pass."

Elementary remains my fav when I have the energy because they GIVE back so much energy!

The most difficult thing is accepting a job and KNOWING i have to drag my *** out of bed early---that is hard no matter WHAT.
Trails [sleepy]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyslumber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyslumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Trails, Andie333 and & Lymetoo for your suggestions and experiences. I personally likely couldn't do substitute teaching, I think the kids would tear me apart. [Wink]

Hey Andie333 you're picture suggestion made me laugh! If I was (alot) cuter, thinner, with a different eye color, and didn't have all this junk in my teeth, from multiple antibiotics, I've thought wouldn't it be great to be a model?! If you're a model being brainless could actually work out to be an advantage! [Roll Eyes]

(If there do happen to be any models/former models on this board please note, i'm jk)

I used to be a good writer too, or at least that's what people told me; I don't think they would lie but who knows?

It's a shame we support ourselves with our abilities that are often robbed by this and other systemic disorders. If only society could recognize and properly support those who are ill, I think it would pay huge dividends in the type of society that would result. But I guess that's a dream world. The "supporting yourself" thing seems sort of like the thing with friends, when you don't need them, they're everywhere, and when you really need just one or two, there's nobody to be found.

Thanks again for your replies!

PS here are some thread i've found dealing with this or a similar topic. Take Care.
working at home with lyme?

How can anybody have a job and be sick at the same time?

Posts: 122 | From San Diego, CA, California, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roses2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to add a few things needed for working with lyme: your own private bathroom with plenty of air freshner.....a cot to lie down on for the unkown time of fatigue... people who are saints to work with because you need people who don't cash in on vulnerability...your own refridgerator for all the medsss........ i could go on but it sounds like i better find a way to make money at home...oh i am exhausted thinking about it... used to work at high stress job and did well...just trying to make light of the difficulties that go with coping with this disease.... lyme brain fog.... hee hee it gets better...takes a while..........cat
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trails:

- elementary is the most energy, but there is high school that is pretty much "here, do this busy work and yes go to the bathroom, take the pass."

Elementary remains my fav when I have the energy because they GIVE back so much energy!

Yes, I taught elem so I know how much energy it takes.....ALOT!!!

There is alot of pressure on teachers in Texas where I used to teach. They took all the fun out of it years ago.

I think things are different here in MO. They still have fun, I think!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

I think they have taken the fun out of teaching IN EVERY STATE lymetoo! [Frown]

I was an elementary ART teacher...fun was part of my curriculum. But here in CA...the governator took art out of the elem schools. No time for fun or creativity or problem solving any more...just testing and test prep.

That is why, for me, subbing is fun...you dont have to do all the crap work and have NO FUN like a real teacher....subs still have fun! (if the kids arent terrorising them!) [lol]

Are there any other substitue teachers out there?
Trails

hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of job can you do from home that will pay insurance benefits. I don't have a spouse to rely on. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8896 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have insurance with my teacher retirement. I'm on disability. Hope you don't have to go that route, hiker...but it's good to know it's there for you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiker,
My Blue Cross Personal Choice policy costs me more than $500/ month.

That's crazy... [shake]

I tried going through groups, but the individual plan turned out to be the most reasonable for the best coverage. I think it's different in different areas. Try calling a small business assn. near you, or the local Chamber of Commerce. Often, they'll offer members an umbrella plan.

If you ask me, the whole industry is nuts!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbirdsings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunny, I know your kidding but wanted to add something...Modeling is actually alot of work and far harder than people think, but its incredibly great if its what you love doing. Sounds silly to say getting makeup done, hair done, and putting on cute clothes and posing around or walking, etc. is hard, but it is work.

The catch is that with lyme, not to mention co-infections no matter how much makeup is used, if you are casper pale, have bad circles, are vomitting, and have so much edema that it changes your size from 2-3 sizes and it can change hourly...you won't be working. Not to mention passing out, brain fog, and feeling like your not really there, or suddenly being so fatigued you go to sleep and aren't able to keep your head up.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a rant, I just really miss modeling. It's really fun for me and something I love doing. If we could get the swelling under control so I was a consisten size, along with a few other things, I would do some light modeling. I've worked after being in the ER all night and nobody knew until they were told what had happend. They actually wanted me to go home and re-shoot, but I managed just fine and the photos were awesome.

My one saving grace is my sanity through feeling so rock bottom horrible and like all hell most of the time...is that I don't ever look as ill as I feel. If I actually put on makeup I look decent and more normal. People that know me, can tell regardless that I am still ill and not okay, but nobody else can tell. It's so nice to see a pretty face back in the mirror instead of a beast, when I feel so horrible.

As much energy as it takes to get out of bed and throw on jeans this day...modeling, wouldn't work. There is also alot of prep work and you have to take care of yourself, auditions, parties etc. Reece Witherspoon has said several times in interviews lately, that it isn't cute to act dumb, ditzy, etc. Not sure on the direct quote, but that is basically it...if you are smart enough to know when to act ditzy, you are smart enough to know better. There is so much of that going on these days, and there is so much stereotyping that if you model, act, etc. than you are nothing but a pretty face and body, have no education and are a stupid ditz.

There are ALOT of models and actors that are very well educated, but just don't tell people. I was working somewhere and somebody was going to say something about the Civil War and said, "You wouldn't understand, your just an actress, and don't know about these things." Even in the lymmies brain fog, I was able to say, "I have a college education and studied the civil war and did extensive research on that battle and...." was able to go on an on about it, and put the person in their place.

I am going to stop now, and I know I have ranted over nothing, but I just find it so frustrating that something as simple as being in good shape, being able to sit and have hair/makeup done, stand around for fittings, and change clothes, and pose is too hard for somebody with lyme and all the junk that goes with lyme.

It seems like the simplest thing in the world, and such an easy job. Try memorizing lines and saying them correctly when you have trouble remembering your med names, and not having to pause to find words in a regular conversation. Being able to model and act as a career is a blessing.

I'm herxing and haven't been able to sleep in a day...I am going to go now, because I am rambling and don;t think I am making much sense.

Anybody who is able to work with lyme gets great admiration from me and I do congratulate them.

Posts: 114 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi blackbird! I hope you are able to get back to work very soon. You're right, doing ANYTHING while having Lyme is difficult at best.

I was "lucky" that I had already been on disability for 6 yrs when I began Lyme treatment. There's no way I could have taught school while going thru treatment.

Like you said, "Hats Off" to anyone able to continue working.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,
I wanted to chime in on this post. I picked up some great ideas here.

I'm very fortunate to have insurance through my husband and was granted disability 2 years ago. I have a friend who is an electrician (very small company) and he pays me to do his payroll, reports, etc. I can do this when I feel like it during the week. Wish I had more of these types of jobs.

I have also done temporary work as a nurse, per day or per visit. That didn't last long as I was often sicker than the patient! But home health agencies sometimes need home attendants to sit with elderly and often the work is light, helping with meds, changing the sheets. I had to screen assignments for folks without cats as I'm allergic to everything.

It seems most work possibilites have some limitations but I think its so cool that everyone is trying to be creative in a sucky situation.

I have also cooked for busy working friends and was the contact manager for a man who had rental property. I took the rent and the complaints and called the repair people.
Stay creative and hold on! [Big Grin]

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Anyone desiring a great home-based business can PM me or click on the little "house" icon next to the date next to my name. This business is part of the health/wellness boom as well as offering a product we all need.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement