LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » You kept me from sin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You kept me from sin
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Thankyou to everyone who has shared their struggle with unbelievers.

I had my first experience today with someone totally not believing,telling me that my kids could not be as sick as I said...I won't put you through it although I can't resist to relay that the asst. superintendant told me that my daughter was seen "frolicking through the halls" then in the same breath countered my statement that she was now having a lot of trouble walking because of equilibrium and numbness with-"Why can't you get her a wheelchair?'

Alls to say I spent 4hrs on the phone pushing for homebound tutoring...I was sooo angry, I cannot get it into words.

But then I remember all the posts about lymies being subjected to the most stupidly offensive innappropriate remarks and it helped me have a modicum of self-control.

I was like OH this is what they are talking about
This is how school administrators, drs etc. behave when they don't get it. OK its not about me. I was able to step back not stoop to far in this conversation escalating into argument and feel a bit sorry for her. Mostly because you have helped me know our rights and that we have support and shall prevail. (and that I'm not crazy)

Incidentally, she does believe in the Florida State football player who has lyme and couldn't play this season. That's something. I wonder how sick he really is. Is he still taking classes?
Feel bad for him, but it is amazing the awareness he has generated.

thanks again,
keep fighting the fight
Susan

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GRRRR!! Sorry to hear this...but glad to know that we "kept you from sin"!! [Big Grin]

Yes, Wyatt Sexton is attending classes, but is only taking a few.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetoo,

I think it says a lot about our culture that people are so shocked that he CANNOT PLAY FOOTBALL and express concern for him, but dismiss sicker kids than him right under their nose.
Not to take away from his loss. I really hope he can heal quickly.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read he is going to practice again.

Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
suz..Sorry that any other parents or children have to go thru this hell...Get your info and rights in order so they that you do not allow them to take further advantage of you.. lymemomtooo
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cecy
Member # 8215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cecy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme_suz

You guys are great. We shall prevail and we're NOT crazy. ("Brain messed up but mind sane," right Lyme_suz?)

No matter how many times I have to go through this sort of this, I'm still surprised at the prejudice and ignorance, and lake of true charity, of those who you'd expect more of. Perhaps because, in their posititions, it seems you have a right to expect more of them. Dealing with people and situations can be SO exhausting. Stepping back, that's the ticket. Not sinking to arguments (hard, I admit!)...particularly if the "attack" is not on us but on our children.

Even my daughter feels it for me. "I wish no one would ask how you're doing, Mom. I want to tell them, 'That's nice she looks good but he's doing horribly so mind your own business.' "

When I was in the hospital ER a worker wrote on my chart, "appears hyper-religious" -- because of a tee shirt I wore and a word I mentioned, "temptation." He looked at me like he didn't know what that word meant. We have to learn to speak in terms others can understand in their comfort-zone settings...provided you can think of them. For symptoms, words like, "fluxuate from day to day and in the course of a day," and "ever been really ill with the flu for two weeks? Think 5 years." Things like that. To pity someone's ignorance and disbelief is better than to try to "force" him or her to understand. Force. Umm-hm. Bad. [shake]

Reaching common ground sometimes means, in the school situation, getting a home tutor arranged. (I had one teacher who wanted to fail my "A" student because she had to withdraw from the class second term, "just because she was sick." She felt I was rewarding my daughter. This teacher would smile and say "I love my students" -- a shallow smile without warmth, words without meaning. I found it chilling and didn't know what to say to her. Had no energy to say the obvious "No, you don't...." I think I did her a disservice by not saying it. It might have made her think, at least. Hard to know.

Keep praying for patience!
[bow] +  -

--------------------
cecy sunshine
"I remember me."
 -

Posts: 33 | From Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are resources, things you could try to show these people so they aren't just going by what you say. Support for your position, in other words.

The Lyme Disease association has a folder you can get and show to them: "The ABC's of Lyme Disease" which is described as important information especially for parents and educators. There is also a video prepared by a CT group, meant for schools I think. If you want the details, I will try to find them. Can't remember the cost, not much though. Oh wait, here it is, from the Lyme Times special childrens issue:

Look in resource section at http://www.timeforlyme.org

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou....Is it the "information packet" you're talking about??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement