LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » 504's and grades

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 504's and grades
char
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My children started homebound tutoring last month. They were only approved for 1 1/2 hrs per wk each. I objected, and they are now to recieve 3hrs each per wk.
My son, who is in 6th grade has 3 classes and with some accomadations has finished 2 classes and has a chunk of Language still for 1st quarter.
My daughter, is in 9th. She has 4 classes and has work done for 2 classes. She has more work and has had harder time with health. Had picc inserted last wk, and it is day to day as far as her ability to do schoolwork.

The kids received incompletes for 1st quarter. I asked at last mtg where 3hrs were granted if there was a date by which we had to get in wk..
No one at mtg knew. Counselor called to say
Nov. 28 was last day or incomplete could not be changed.
I told him that this was not reasonable as my daughter has not even received assignments from 2 of her teachers. Put call into head of EC, haven't heard back yet.
Our 504 is very vague with accomadations of extra time to pass assignments in, and shorter assignments. Nothing specific about length of time in which to hand things in.
???What is your experience with making up incompletes?

At our last mtg. the plan was for teacher's to wk out plan for quarter with me. Tutor is highly qualified, but used to short term gigs where he picks up assignments and helps kids do it without any sense of the big picture. Evidently, the school does not want this role expanded to wking with teachers other than picking up wk from a box and front desk.

With a to-do over 1st quarter grades, behind on 2nd quarter wk.
I am wondering if there is an alternative to me having to wk out plan with 7 teachers.?
The jr high counselor is somewhat helpful, but the sr high functions as the messenger without seemingly being too concerned whether my daughter gets her credits or not.

??Would an IEP help there?
I have the administrators to approve services or not, but noone to help me negotiate with teachers.
I am special ed teacher myself, so I have ideas on how to adapt curriculum but seems like that should be taken care of by school. It feels like a lot of pressure to be involved in so many of the details.

This is a lot of work and stress for me.

??Would the IEP having specific goals make school more accountable for making sure daughter gets her HS credits???
The team was doubtful if she would complete 4 classes which is frustrating given it is early in the yr. Also, this is very reason that I am trying to get help for her.

I am really trying to keep my temper with all this.

Sorry so long,
Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lydie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, call the Federal Dept. of Education, Office of Civil Rights nearest you, for advice. They will also talk with the school for you. Your children's rights to access to education equal to those w/out their health problems is guaranteed with or without a plan. The 504 plan just offers a blueprint to carry out those rights.

Second, think about paying $150 or so for a consult with a lawyer. You don't have to bring the lawyer to the school, which gets costly. Just let the school know that the suggestions and advice you are bringing them come from a lawyer, that you hired to help (not threaten, at least not at first). Say this matter-of-factly with a smile, as if you are really trying t pitch inand solve the problem.

Our daughter was completely out of school for 3 months in 6th and also 7th grade. We handled courses "globally" (our principal's word). In other words, we covered China and India, with readings, library trips and so on...but she didn't do specific assignments or tests.

This was basically a home-schooling arrangement, with huge amounts of communication by e-mail with teachers, so that we kept up. We did not have tutors at all. I custom-tailored the material to my daughter's health status that day, and even that hour. She returned each time to make the high honor roll.

In 8th and 9th grade, my daughter was "in and out", meaning she might go for a couple of hours, come home, and even go back for awhile. She might also not be in on certain days when she was sicker. This was much harder to deal with with the school, because she was in fact doing specific assignments and all tests/quizzes, and noone at the school could figure out how to get work to her, or even notice whether she was gone. Plus, they ahve a policy in which you don't get work from teachers unless you are absent 3 full days.

I did consult a lawyer for ideas, and the school readily agreed to this problem-solving idea: every day, in every class, wheterh my daughter was present or not (becuase they couldn't see to notice her absence), every teacher filled out a sheet w/info on work done in class, homework, tests/quizzed missed, and grades missing, and also attached notes on lectures.
This worked great and, again, my daughter was conscientious and made high honor roll, by working when she could, onher own timetable.

Hope this helps. Sometimes schools will help a lot more if you can show them how to do it, and make it convenient for them. Your background as a teacher should also give you a lot of credibility, so you are ahead of the game!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of great advice, Lydie. Especially about the attitude of putting the law behind your remarks, with a smile!

I would add that once you get past this hump, go back and make the 504 plan as specific as possible (hard to do with the child's fluctuating symptoms, I know), definitely before high school, where the system gets bigger and less accommodating. Do you have a doctor's note that includes the fluctuating nature of Lyme, and the need to vary accommodations?

My son (now 14 and a high school freshman) has an IEP. In CT, they weren't very helpful. In Maine in middle school, the teachers did whatever it took to get my son successful. This year in high school, his brain is healthier, and he is taking on more, lucky for him, because the special ed department does not always hold to the IEP guidelines in place. His major accommodation is an open-ended time frame for completing assignments.

BUT he has an awesome study hall tutor, and having ONE person who is willing to track down teachers and make the accommodations that are needed is making all the difference.

When I asked my son why he thought he was doing so much better this year, he named 3 things: his changed antibiotic regimen, less stress in the home (I dumped my bf! [Wink] ), and his tutor.

Take care,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - I'm beginning legwork to try and help my child w/ school issues!

quote:
Do you have a doctor's note that includes the fluctuating nature of Lyme, and the need to vary accommodations?

anybody have an example of one of these that worked that maybe I could see?

Thanks,
Sherry

--------------------
 -

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, ponytail!

This is based on the letter my son has....

DX: Severe disseminated Lyme disease, etc.

There is a need and recommendation for [child] to have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) as a student with Lyme disease, classified as "other health impaired" under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) while he is undergoing treatment.

Lyme disease has a profound impact on his life, cognitive function and ability to perform maximally in school. [A sentence or 2 about specific impairment should go here -- fatigue, concentration, sensitivities, physical problems -- anything that would get in the way of his schooling, including gym.] Due to the fluctuating nature of Lyme symptoms, his ability to do school work must be determined daily according to his health needs.

I recommend he be excused from the school attendance policy, because [explain]. [One or 2 sentences on recommended accommodations should go here, such as tutoring, extended time for tests and homework, shorter reading or writing assignments, modified methods for determining grades, shortened day, permission to nap at the nurse's office, no gym.]

I will notify the school when [child's] Lyme disease problems resolve.

[doctor's signature]

Hope that helps,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ponytail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponytail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shaz - AWESOME - thanks sooo much!!

I always try to type up proposed document in format w/ letterhead etc prior to the doc appointment to assist w/ completion!

I could not for the life of me figure out how to start!! This will really help me!

Thanks again,
Sherry

--------------------
 -

Posts: 704 | From Huntsville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry that you are going thru this char.

Here is what I have learned about what my son retained while he had lyme.

He missed 50 days during 9th grade, the 504 was violated. My husband and I tutored the concepts and coached when he was well enough to complete work. When he needed to catch up the work fast to get a grade we let his older sister work with him to complete assignments. We were so frustrated we didn't care that she did a lot of the work.

He tested fine if he was functioning well, but of course he was required to take most tests with the rest of the class not on his best days and often did poorly on tests.

Ok, now 2 years later he is much better. He seems to have retained the math and english skills we presented, even when the tests and grades were poor. He is back in regular school earning all a/b at grade level. He has needed minimal tutoring this year. We are still waiting for PSAT results. He made honor roll all by himself the first marking period.

So it seems that the info goes in, but is not able to be processed well into tests and written assignmnets. When the cognitive issues resolve the knowledge is still there.

We will have some explaining to colleges about the 9/10 year grades, but if he does well on SATS that should help. What we are working on now is study skills, pretty much non-existant!

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a great article
No Lyme child left behind!
Lyme-literate Psychotherapist talks to teachers
by Sandy Berenbaum, CSW-R, BCD
in the LymeTimes #35, page 13.
check the archives at www.lymetimes.org
She covers 504

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement