LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Parents, bro have Lyme -what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents, bro have Lyme -what to do?
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK so just to add salt to injury, my mom and dad also tested positive for Lyme. We know both my brother and I have it, but the dr wanted to make sure that if/when we get well, we won't be re-infected.

So, after dr insisted on finding out about my parents and we know, my dad doesn't want to get treated. He's got symptoms and I suspected it was lyme for some time. He just says stuff like 'I'm getting old anyway...it's ok...' My mom is numb.

I just wish they would get treated too. They seem to think that if they are careful with not exchanges cups and utensils etc things are safe. I don't know... [confused]

Any ideas anyone??

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Posts: 371 | From Up North | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's rough. I strongly suspect that both of my parents have/had Lyme. As a matter of fact, I'm positive.

How old are your parents? Are your dad's symptoms severe?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SAK,

My family (husband, two small children and me) does the pulse method--we only take one antibiotic once a month. It doesn't sound like much but we all get a heck of a herx and lose a weekend every month--but we are also hold down two jobs and raise the kids.

Maybe your Dad would be more open to the idea if he didn't think he was going to be sick ALL the time--and it is more affordable.

It is an option,
Linda

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies and thoughts. My dad is in his mid-seventies. He's walking and thinking straight but he has his heart and arthritis problems etc...

My mom doesn't show many symptoms really. The occassional dry cough and floaters. She's in her sixties.

How does age affect stuff?

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Posts: 371 | From Up North | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaFunk
Member # 8019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaFunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I KNOW that my mom has Lyme Disease. Our symptoms are almost exactly alike. Plus, I'm convinced I've had Lyme Disease all my life, which would mean I had to have gotten it inutero. My mother has been diagnosed with lupus, though she's testing negative. She hasn't been tested for Lyme Disease. She's so attached to the diagnosis of Lupus, that she won't even consider anything else. Lyme Disease can trigger lupus, though. Every time she complains about her symptoms, looking for sympathy, I get really angry. She could get tested, and get treatment, and get the Lyme Disease under control, but she chooses not to. Instead, she just complains, and I want to smack her. I think part of it is she's just so sick of being sick, and she doesn't want another battle to fight. She's accustomed to being ill, and she's stuck where she's at.
Posts: 37 | From Jamestown, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure my parents have lyme too, they won't consider treatment, although they are supportive of my family being treated.

They are in their seventies and I see how their life is being cut short. My mom's parents were/are long livers, my grandmother(103) lives with me and is self tending. My mom seems to think the good genes will overcome everything. They won't move closer to me. I can't take care of everyone here and them long distance too.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

I realize there's only so much one person can do to help someone else want to get well. I don't think there's anything left for me to do that would make a difference.

So how do you protect yourself from getting re-infected over and over again? Don't share drinks, food but is there something else?

I hate to think all these abx are going to waste... [Frown]

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute! People can't get Lyme disease from just touching each other, or using the same glass or utensils.

There seems to be a great possibility that Lyme is transmitted sexually from one infected person to another. But I have never read any study or heard of anyone getting it airborne or through coughing, or sharing utensils etc.

In 17 years of running a support group, attending conferences and collecting books, videos and journal articles, I have never seen anything that points to casual passing of spirochetes from one person to another.

Because you never develop immunity to Lyme disease and some other tick-borne diseases,
you can be reinfected by another tick bite. I know that first hand!

The organism hides out in joints and tissues for the most part. It doesn't like oxygenated areas like the lungs, the mouth etc.

If anyone knows of a report etc. please post it here.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

I've heard/read (on this board) that Lyme is in saliva (kissing) so I figure it can be transmitted through saliva, no? Never heard opr said anything about touching. That's why drinking out of the same glass may transfer I figure...

Gosh thanks for noting otherwise. So, transmission just sexual and through pregnancy. I really don't know.

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement