LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone have Lyme more than 20 years?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have Lyme more than 20 years?
azfan
Member # 8482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My illness dates back to l978, but wasn't diagnosed until a year and a half ago. So far I haven't found anyone else who has had it that long. Anybody have any ideas why? I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person to survive that long with untreated Lyme. I spent some time grieving the fact that so many years were lost to illness, but now I'm beginning to think maybe I'm REALLY LUCKY to still be alive!
Posts: 40 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Azfan, 23yrs here,and I think maybe longer. I was dianosed a yr and a half ago,also. I have seen others this long and longer. Quite a few on lymestrategies. I have been into alternative healing all these yrs and I feel it has kept me alive.

I'm greatful to at least know 1 of the biggest parts of the mystery. There are many parts to be healed. Mind,body,spirit,emotions. Welcome and Blessings to your healing. Joyce

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go back 35 years ago when I was 21!

Undx for 34 years until my memory was failing me terrible and I thought I had early-onset Alzheimer's disease like my brother's wife who died at age 40 of AD! So I took the western blot at Igenex & both were positive.

I know there are others on here, perhaps Tutu, who have had for 40+ years.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Undiagnosed for at least 30+ years. I can remember when I was twelve and in the hospital because of heart palpitations. Of course, they said nothing was wrong with my heart.

Finally was diagnosed this past year.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christelleny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christelleny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infected in 1980. Diagnosed in 2004.
My LLMD often tells me that my very healthy lifestyle saved my life.

The disease progressed slowly. It took several extremely stressful events and a very difficult pregnancy to make it totally unbearable and alter my life forever. I was a 30 year-old living in an 86 year-old's body (the doctor's words).

Adequate treatment (+ healthy lifestyle) is helping.

There's hope!

Posts: 159 | From CT, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17 YEARS AN COUNTING [Frown]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azfan
Member # 8482

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing your stories. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Any other 20+ lymers out there? Maybe we could start a club!

Posts: 40 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
18 and counting.

It would be interesting to know how us various long-timers are doing, given the history of tx/non-tx/wrong tx.

For example, we were dx within a year, but the treatment was primitive and involved a lot of steroids (the doc was a rheumatologist -- but a wonderful man, doing his best while laboring in the lyme dark ages, and I won't hear a word against him!)

We didn't start getting truly better until treating the coinfections last year. Leastwise, I'm doing great and expect to be completely off abx in the next 3 months. The hubby's still really struggling. We've had almost the same tx --wish I could figure out what the difference is. I think I'm starting to get survivor guilt.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've had Lyme since 1977 or 1978. I was diagnosed this year.

I've daily headaches since that time. Insomnia started during my pregancy with my 15 year old son.

I have other symptoms too but daily headaches were the worst symptom. My headaches are better since I started treatment.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtnSoul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtnSoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was probably infected at age 3, and that was 39 years ago.
Posts: 416 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moved to separate post. sorry it took a while to do this. my reply ended up being VERY long.

[ 06. February 2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Caryn ]

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, 21.5 years still fighting it GRRRRRR!! Snap bite!!!!
MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,
I was told I was born with it since my mother and father and sister all test +. So, 40 years. Migraines since age 10. Numerous other things come and go. On a walker at age 38, but not now, thank God. I am now on disability from my job though..All my docs have been amazed that I worked as long as I have. Just stubborn I guess.
Melinda

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SAK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. Fist time that I was bitten was 1977. That resulted in a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. I was just a baby! Long course of penicillin knocked it out.

Then, in 1985 I was bit again with Bell's Palsy as my first major symptom. After becoming very limited in my mobility, I just got tested by myself and diagnosed in May 2005.

So, either way, I guess I'm 20+ years with Lyme!

--------------------
Be well,
SAK
 -

Posts: 371 | From Up North | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least 10 years, maybe more. That was the time I started falling off the cliff, healthwise. Before that, I had back pain, deafness and tinnitus. I'm doing pretty well now!

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have said, 10 years till diagnosis and treatment. Dx was in '87. I've been on maintenance treatment ever since.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MsZoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MsZoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told that I had lyme when I was 19. I'm now 53. I had major hip pain in the 70s and doctor couldn't figure out why, so I learned to live with it. In the 1980s I went to a rheumatologist and he couldn't figure it out either, so I kept living with it. Finally, around 2000 I saw a lyme doctor, was treated, then she moved to CA. So I'm back to square one.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello there

I have had lyme for 20 years, but was only diagnosed this year (via positive IgG IgM) So, I have gone 20 years without treatment.

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imalymeabean
Member # 8375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imalymeabean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I've had it since 1984. I was diagnosed thanks to a T.V. talk show I saw about LYME disease.DR's
didn't know squat back then.I found out early this year"05",I was never treated correctly the first time and I still have the disease 22 yrs. later! I started treatment 6 months ago.I.V.rocephin 1x day, oral zithromax 2x day,and
liquid mepron 2x day. I have to admit I'm getting
rather discouraged as I thought I would be feeling
much better by now. Is it true the longer you've had it the longer it takes to kick it out?
Anne

Posts: 7 | From mn. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First bite was in 1985, and then I believe I got bitten in 1989 and 2002. I was diagnosed in 2002.

I am just now getting proper treatment.

I like the idea of a 20+ club! Sometimes, you can sure feel alone and lost. This site is a lifesaver, as many have said.

I prefer to focus on the positive tack, that we survived this long due to fortune and incredible strength!

Steph

P.S. Anne: Yes, it does take a longer time to eradicate it, but please don't lose hope! It won't take 20 years; I'm quite sure of that!

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
47 yrs and still counting. I found out I had Lyme 5 1/2 yrs ago. I'm doing very well, all things considered.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirty-eight, 39 years ago?

I had ringing in my ears, ADD, summer flus...we would pull two or three ticks off of us a day.

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know since 1988, but I remember my depersonalization as far back as 1985. About 20 years and started treatment in 2002, iv since 2004 on and off. Still on treatment for God knows how long.

Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gae
Member # 8633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gae   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been at least 19 years (had first rash in memory) but believe it's much longer than that. My mother was an avid mushroom hunter and took us with her from the time we could walk. I can remember having several ticks removed by a hot match as a child. I began having muscle problems in the fifth grade, pulled muscles, stiff necks, etc and tingling in my fingers. I had severe headaches and many UTI's. I married in 1981 and began having kids in 83. I had "the rash" after picking blackberries while pregnant with my second child. I'm now on disability, diagnosed with fibro, TMJ, myofascial, and autoimmune disorders. I will know - hopefully - when my oldest daughter gets tested if I had it as a child. She just found out she is pregnant and I'm very worried. All of my children show signs of Lyme and we are trying to find a local doctor. I'm hoping with all of my heart that my oldest does not have lyme!!!!
Posts: 13 | From Greenfield, IN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 years so far....diagnosed in 1991.

But untreated for long periods of time.

Not doing well lately.

[Frown]

Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement