LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » what has lyme given you???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what has lyme given you???
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the following was in a recent post about "losing friends cuz of lyme":

posted 05 January, 2006 02:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by chroniccosmic:
This illness takes so much from us. It is such a void to add to all the other aspects of this disease. I'm also thinking it gives us something too but haven't quite figured out what.

I'm also realing trying to see what I am suppose to be learning here. What is this giving? What is the lesson?

so am i-as i do about everything in my life-good and bad. i wonder what is the lesson here...what am i supposed to be learning.

in the beginning i was happy it wasn't cancer and focused on awful things that happened to others that were worse-like losing children...

but as time goes on and the frustration builds up-not just docs now, but friends and family in denial---it's harder and harder for me to see the lesson...

i was always kinda hyper super-mom-super-worker kinda person...lyme sure has slowed me down and forced to to "smell the roses" as they say...i can't take very good care of them anymore-but i sure do appreciate a blossom here and there...

i always tended to put others first even tho i knew it was important to take care of myself---now I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF...i know i'm doing great compared to some because of my docs and supps and lymenet and all the little tricks we learn about how to survive this---but others see me as doing awful...

so what about everyone else...what has lyme given you?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kayak,
I've only been in the healing part of this since July, so I'm sure there will be more revealed as time goes on.

For me now, though:
I'm learning patience -- with myself, with healing, with other people.

The disease has definitely given me a a lot of empathy, as you said, for people in far worse situations than my own and caused me to quit jumping to conclusions about people and/or situations.

Because my health shifts so quickly, it's necessitated living in the moment. Literally. Making plans no longer works for me at all.

I've seen true love and generosity in people.

I definitely recognize the fact that I'm all-too-fallible and life has no guarantees.

I'm still learning to ask for (and receive) help.

I've got a new appreciation for some doctors (LLMDs) and less for others and for so-called medical duck experts.
I'm also starting to understand how hard my body had to fight in the 9 years between infection and diagnosis. And how much I did when I was really very sick.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copperhalo
Member # 8494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copperhalo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perspective. true love. knowing I can win this fight.The river in the morning. walking on fall leaves.
my niece and nephew. building a house. running. love, hate, passion,. greed, envy,lust.morning mist.
even doing laundry.....eye contact with a woman,sinking a nail in 2 swings.a new year....

Posts: 17 | From viginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by copperhalo:
perspective. true love. knowing I can win this fight.The river in the morning. walking on fall leaves.
my niece and nephew. building a house. running. love, hate, passion,. greed, envy,lust.morning mist.
even doing laundry.....eye contact with a woman,sinking a nail in 2 swings.a new year....

[Smile] wow........ how cool was that?
Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme has taught me to love myself more then anyonelse. I used to put eveyone first and now i cannot do that. Appreciation for life, and what i had when i was a normie, often complaining i was bored.

Its given me a tolerance for pain, and new methods to dealing with it.

Its forced me to learn to cook, and i might say i now make a very good zuchini pancake.

That my job does not define me in anyway...

I have a lot of friends who care and are waiting for me on the otherside, once i get better.

I now know right away the difference between a real dr and a duck.

The ability to swallow pills

that everything happens for a reason and one day I will see why i became sick.

But most of all lyme has given me lymenet where i can go when i am scared and hurting.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ask myself this question every day, often times looking for a profound answer which I do not have as of yet.

One thing is for sure, this disease has taught me how much I love and adore my husband for his constant encouragement and support.

He cooks, cleans, looks after the kids and all without complaining. He recognizes that often times I am too ill to participate in the simplest of activities and knows when I just need to be left alone to work through the pain. If I wasn't as ill as I have been, I may not have had a chance to see what kind of strength and character he has.

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 6 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,It has given me friends that are closer to me now than my own family.

New sisters,brothers,aunts and uncles,and a mom and dad or two.

All while my blood relation belives me to be a hypochondriact,and live in their own pain free world,clueless, with their head in the sand.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
griswoldgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for griswoldgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound weird-- but I was relieved when I found out that my 16 years of suffering, being misdiagnosed with everything from MS, Lupus, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and not to mention being sent to the psychiatrist by docs all over the country so many times that I carried a copy of my MMPI results to let them know I was as sane as they were-- when diagnosed "IT" FINALLY HAD A NAME!!!!!!!!!!

I am learning, slowly mind you, how to balance my life. I have learned that it is okay to rest and I do not have to push myself to the max any more.

I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 6 months in bed. That taught me how to be with myself. I have always been a people person and was really uncomfortable to be alone too long. I have learned how to hang out with myself.

Cathy

--------------------
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I went from existing to living again. You can too!

Posts: 192 | From Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some great responses on here!! Here is what I have learned:

1. God is in control. He is on my side and I have had to let go of my battle in this disease by putting it in his hands. No easy feat at all, but I have to.

2. That my husband of 15 years truely is my sole mate. His support, understanding, love and compassion is overwhelming at times. I am very lucky indeed.

3. I no longer put dr's on the pedastal of godliness like I used to. I have to take control of my own health care. Some ducks need to be sent back to med school. If I have a problem with a duck, I report it from now on and take a stand.

4. My kids. OMG, my kids!! They are the 3 biggest reasons that I don't crawl into a hole and stay there forever!! They force me out of bed every day to move on with life. They support me and offer me hugs each and every time I need them, and even at times when I didn't think I did.

5. Most importantly. I am closer to God and Jesus. There have been times (suicidal times in the past couple years) when they were litteraly the only ones who could pull me through and save me.

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned to trust myself more because I am the only one who can say how I feel at any one time.

Patience with the pace of the recovery and where the disease has taken me.. at least most of the time I have patience.

Gratitude that I can work at a job which mostly pays the bills if I am very frugal.

Acceptance of the illness. I did not cause it, nor can I cure it by changing my attitude.

Thankfulness that their are others who understand because they are going through similar battles themselves.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The disease gave me sofar that I know of.

Pain for 17 going on 18 years of pain
3 torn tendons
20/15 vision to 2.75 reading glasses
bad cognitive abilities
induced encephilitis -swelling around brain-
torn cartilage left knee miniscis's and posteria crusia disconnectted
shoulders popped in out of joints
hips hurt
lower back pain
tingling fingers
numb tip of nose
aches
ringing ears
the skids
then bound up roller coaster
fevers slight to 105% ever year almost
sever joint pain
twitches
seeing things in dim light that were not there
lights hurt my eyes
you name it
mental anguish
no stamina
tired
disrupted sleep
to much sleep
nightmares
no dreams
Just to name a few.

Thank God I believe in him.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement