LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » physical ecxersise when having Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: physical ecxersise when having Lyme?
siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still quite new to the whole idea of having borreliosis. And I find the thought pretty scary! Especially since I am slowly realising that there are a lot of things I might have to stop doing... not because I can't do them, but because I ought not to.

I have a pretty strong will, so even if I am feeling ill I will do what I want. In my case; scuba-diving, hiking, skiing, biking. Guess I am trying to prove to myself and the world that I am not as ill as I feel.

Now I wonder... maybe I am just making things worse with this attitude? I know too little about Lyme to know what is right and wrong here. Anybody got any hint??

I really don't want to be as ill as I feel. And I am scared like never before about the possible consequenses... My life seems to be dissolving without being able to stop it from happening.

Posts: 155 | From Norway | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Unusual that noone replied.

Dr. Burrasco has some guidelines regarding exercise. On Newbie links here or google.

Also, you could search here by entering exercise as there has been quite a bit of discussion on it.

My impression is that is good to exercise, but not overdue which is highly individual.

Best Wishes,

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Unusual that noone replied.

Dr. Burrasco has some guidelines regarding exercise. On Newbie links here or google.

Also, you could search here by entering exercise as there has been quite a bit of discussion on it.

My impression is that is good to exercise, but not overdue which is highly individual.

Best Wishes,

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, siggy!!

It's wonderful that you can do all of those things!! At my worst......moving from room to room was a major decision and took all of my energy!!

As Char has said.....it's important to not overdue.
I think activity can be beneficial to the healing process.

I'm not a doc!!!! Just a person who is finally coming around to enough improvement to be able to walk and get on the rebounder once again.

Are you on ABX? Sometimes a herx will take one down to the point of not being able to be active.

The key for me is.....if I'm pushing myself and I'm whipped the day after or more.....I'm doing more than I should.

What does your doc think about the situation??

Healing smiles....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree with Char that Dr. B's guidelines about this are pretty clear.

Most of my Lyme sx are physiological, so this exercise thing is taking me awhile, and bec of my nasty Lyme arthritis, the rebounder sounds....
well, it sounds impossible at this point.

I am walking more and farther and have been encouraged to do this at least once a day.

And I do upper body weights.

I had been swimming about a mile several times a week before this all went nuts. Now, I'm thinking about doing some water-walking just as soon as I can get past the idea of all this just being cold...

Hard for me to think of swimming when there's 18" of snow on the ground1

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answers!

My doctor is still trying to figure out what`s wrong with me. Even though I have a previous record of having Lyme, I doubt he will give me any treatment unless I get a positive test. The ELISA showed nothing (surprise!) so now I will get a WB. Hopefully something will show.

Anyway; the last few weeks my physical condition has been going downhill. Now a walk to the store is more than enough for a day. Biking is a bit too much. No more scooba-diving or hiking. For now. Mostly I stay at home, try some yoga (how stiff can one be!?)

I have read that swimming is not good at all because the Bb enjoys cold temperature. All activity that lowers one�s core temperature is bad. Warm is good. The Lyme bacterias hate heat.

Any comments?

Posts: 155 | From Norway | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moose
Member # 8545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Is that true? Swimming is not really a good exercise for a Lymie, due to the lowering of core heat?? I used to love swimming laps and so forth, but havent done so for 3 years ever since my collapse. Anyway, I've never heard this before. Where did you learn this from?

I've tried to exercise from time to time, since I used to be so active but especially when I want to lose weight. Unfortunately, I find myself exhausted and unable to participate in regular chores for a day or two, which is bad enough as I can hardly handle as much as I used to.

Now, I hardly exercise anymore, unless I am feeling good that day and would go for a walk with my kids or something, or participate in an activity (such as playing Bocce) with a group, just to have a life and not be left out. I usually will suffer the next day.

I sure wish there were some appropriate exercise program for us all just to get back on our feet again and get us rolling in health galore!!

Posts: 90 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob
Member # 1429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. B.seems to feel aerobic exercise isn't good for Lyme patients. From my oersonal experience this is not the case.
I do have to recover from the light-headedness after jogging.
As for swimming, we are still warm blooded animals. Chilly water shouldn't lower your body temperature enough to affect the spirochetes, especially as the exercise itself tends to raise body temperature. I've had Lyme for at least six years and have never stopped distance swimming.

Posts: 17 | From Brooklyn | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good ideas here to be careful to not overdue. This has been known to bring on body aches that
take a long time to go away.
Are you on abx?

when I am hexing I find rest and warm soaks in epson and talkng it easy untill the herx's pass.
help me the best.

Actually when I'm herxing I can't do anything but lay around. So I figure this is my body's wat of saying whoo, slow down I am fighting off this herx right now.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Dr. B has even more about physical exercise than his previous treatment guidelines.

Problem is: who the heck can afford to be going to PT and getting a physical trainer to work with you every other day?

He is very clear about this and says it is a MUST do. He also says Aerobic is GOOOOOOD and neccessary to heal but that it must not start before you are ready for it.

Swimming: It was swimming that did me in and caused the relapse. I was swimming/training for a triathlon when the buzzing started in my arm. I was swimming every 3rd day- and I LOVED IT!

I think the cold water IS to blame. I have also heard this about water--lowers your core body temp. Dr. B discussed some of core body temp but doesnt mention water at all.

I am looking into going to a therapy pool. I do so love to float about.

Anyone affording the PT guidelines set by Dr. B?

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No swimming and no aerobic exercise.

Isotonic exercise is good.

Physical therapy is for those who have been very ill, bedbound - then that is a good place to start. If you are not that affected, then you can skip that part.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about tai chi? Is that considered to be aerobic?

It does say light calisthenics. Isnt that LIGHT aerobics?

Also says can move to aerobic when ready.

Even if you dont start with the PT, the physical trainer would be expensive too. I think I need someone to teach me how to do these things correctly b/c I have been an aerobic excerciser for so long previously.

I wish there were LYME GYMS!

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The swimming thing is interesting because if I swim laps I am in bed for at least a couple of days. Something about the swimming just wipes me out! Can't do it.

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise has been a vital part of my recovery. Once able, I started out slowly at the gym. Now I am working out every other day for about an hour, including 10 to 15 minutes of aerobic and the rest of the time weights. I get my pulse rate up to 125 or so with a treadmill or bike, then go through a nautilus type weight training program. I have gained so much stamina. Even if I am having a bad day, I find oftentimes that if I push myself to go ahead to the gym, I feel much better when I finish. There were times I couldn't do this and definitely was well into treatment before I could. But it has paid off for me.
Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aerobics are a no-no for most of us when we are sick. Aerobic exercises, simply put, are those that make us pant, and significantly elevate the heart rate.

It's kind of like asking a flu patient to run around the block!

Aerobic exercises we should avoid: running, cycling, lap swimming, cross-country skiing, rebounding, dance aerobics classes, FAST calisthenics or rapid-repetition weight lifting.

You may be the exception to the rule, especially if you were aerobically very fit before. But for most of us, uh-uh!

More later,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sINCE STARTING A WEIGHTLIFTING PROGRAM IN LATE dECEMBER....I have gained tremendous ease and self-confidence....and also an agravated hiatal hernia.

I will say it KILLED me at first...I needed two to three days rest inbetween...that's the key, rest.

I lowered my blood pressure from 130 over 75 to 80 to an now wonderful rate of 95 over 65.

I do NOT do aerobic excercise of any kind.

I started by hot-tubbing and swimming...then the gym. (Itsill do these on my rest days...very relaxed swimming)

In the gym, I will do bench press, and while resting those muscles, I then do curls.

So,

1 set of bench press
1 set of curls

repeat two times.

I NEVER stop.

At first I killed myself doing only 37 minutes.

I now last up to 2 hours.

The resulting endorphins lower my symptoms for the rest of the day, and I sleep like a rock
and and my tissues are receiving much needed abx and oxygen.

However, if I am having a bad day....I still go to the gym...I jst try to work trhu it and then I cut my work out down after that.

My biceps have gained 1 inch, my chest 1 1/2 inch, my fore arms half an inch....my weight went from 150 lbs (6ft 1in) to 158 lbs.

Yes, at the end of my resting day I NEED the endorphins...but, I just look forward to the next day.

key thing here...rest, fluids and a TON of Magnesium Glycinate (Metagenic) and L-Glutamine powder(15 to 20 grams a day).

The glutamine raises your PH, helps cure your gut, detoxes the body, repairs the muscle, lowers your recovery time, and any overage of the product is GREAT brain food.

You can't lose with Glutamine.

I get mine where I work at GNC.

Trout [Wink]

PS...My wife has seen the results and is encouraging me to write a book with illustrations.(For Lymies) I seem to get GREAT results in minimal time.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, trout! You buff dude, you. [Big Grin]

I agree, make time to rest afterward. Your regimen -- heat, exercise, rest -- is the same that I have found works well for me.

Byproducts of exercise: endorphins (the feel-good hormones), muscle tone (supports joints, helps prevent injuries, burns more calories), sweat (detox), and a better night's sleep.

Good exercise: walking, stretching, weight training, tai chi, yoga, non-aerobic calisthenics, isometrics, dancing (ballet or ballroom), etc.

Since I am comfortable with dance, I went back to giving myself a ballet barre at home, when I was able, 3x/week, and I walked or biked (not too fast) around the neighborhood.

If I pushed too hard, I felt sicker. I learned to pace it. Now I'm back to teaching dance/gymnastics, so they pay me to exercise! [Big Grin]

You may also consider taking Co-Q10, as we don't seem to make this byproduct of exercising as well as healthy people.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention the CoQ10

Yep...I'm on that too!!!!!!

Trout [Wink]

PS...Great list.

Why Excercise?...your lymphatic system relies on movement to work. Otherwise toxins build up you just get worse. Plus your bowels move better...helping you detox.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again, siggy!!

Thanks for the great thread with so many great entries!!

I wanted to give my experience with swimming.....for me it's the chlorine that can put me under for at least two days!! It's not the actual swimming.....when I've had occasion to swim in clean water....no problem!!

Again..not to overdo.....in the past when I could do very little...I just corked around in the water and waved my arms and legs a bit.

A note about rebounding.....it's important to do a very very gentle bounce....NOT aerobic!!! There are great benfits to every muscle, cell....and especialy good for circulation of blood and lymph.

I'm out of the league of most of you on this issue....I could not possibly use the rebounder to the point of aroebic benefits!! [Wink]

Healing smiles..... [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Right, trout, the whole body works more efficiently -- lymph, digestion, circulation. There are probably more benefits, but those are the ones that hit me off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info on the L-glutamine. I will look into that.

Regards,
Shaz

siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

It really made me confused not being able to do as much exercise as I normally could.

I also found that aerobic exercise made me exhausted in a bad way. And that was really frustrated since that is the kind of exercise I like, plus swimming. So I just stopped for a few weeks. Just cause I pushed it too much. (bad girl)

After all the info and new insight here, I will get going and do some anaerobic exercise. All my muscles are getting stiff and sore from not being used.

5Dana8; I am not on abx. I wont get any unless I have a seropositive test for Lyme. And after 14 yrs with Lyme I might not get a positive. (right?)

Just got my journal from back then, when I got treated for Lyme; the doc wasn�t sure the bacs had all been wiped out but desided not to tell my parents. (it actually says so!!) well, well, well. Not good at all!

shazdancer
Member # 1436

HI, suiggy!

You said that aerobic exercise made you "exhausted in a bad way."

As a person who has also exercised hard throughout her life, I totally understand that statement. There is a "good tired" that can result from exercise, and a "bad tired" when exercising on Lyme. That's the tired that takes days to recover from, instead of minutes.

I also have had profound muscle soreness not set in until TWO DAYS after exercising, which is very different from feeling "normal sore" the morning after. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if the CoQ-10 or other chemical response (such as toxin buildup) is responsible for this. I'd be interested if any of you have had similar experiences.

I was also bruising easily early in my recovery, but that has returned to normal. The 2-day-after muscle soreness thing seems to be gone, too.

Take care,
Shaz

shazdancer
Member # 1436

ROFL! Excuse the typo, sUiggy!

Serves me right for trying to type that when I should have been on my way to work....
[Big Grin]
Shaz

tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as exercising I think it is important to consider where you are with your illness and strenght.

I've had lyme for a very long time with many years of being bed ridden most of the time. My muscles were so weak and balance so bad. Lucky if I made it to the bathroom.

After years of tx. I felt a bit stronger and was thankful for each day I could put one foot in front of the other and acually walk by myself.

Through much hard work i started with a yoga tape. Toughed it out todo a few minutes and kept trying to get a bit further. Over months worked up to 15 mins. to the end of the tape!

Gave pt a try but aggravated the neuropathy so bad had stop. Am thinking of giving it another try. Sometimes the thought of having to be somewhere at a particular time is just too much for me. I feel defeated before I get there.

I now try to walk a bit every few days body permitting and am so pleased with myself when I do it.

Guess what I am trying to say if you are up to anything give it your best shot however don't over do it because you will pay the next few days.

Write down your accomplishments no matter how small and be proud of whatever you do.

I might add whoever said long term therapy doesn't work hasn't a clue of the reality of this disease.

My best to you all...never give up!

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Thanks, tickeditout! For all your remarks: not exercising when you are too sick, pacing recovery s-l-o-w-l-y, taking pride in your progress, and patience in waiting for the treatment to take hold -- perfect.

Thanks.

Shaz

Lyme Gypsy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme Gypsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I live in the desert so why ask. Just curious. What about swimming in salt water? Does salt have any effect on lymes Bact. ? [Big Grin]
Posts: 188 | From NM | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Siggy,

Most of us were very athletic before illness. I'm a horse rider and if you've never ridden, you may think that it is just sitting on their back like a passenger. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Much work and balance using muscles no other form of exercise uses. On my good days now I still bust out to the barn to ride. But now it requires the help of my husband. If I had to hike across pastures, pick out feet and saddle up (heck I can't even begin to pull the girth tight enough) by myself, I would be way too exhausted to actually ride.

The next day I always pay a big price! Seems the muscles that were so strong just 6 mths ago, are now so affected.

I have arthritic lyme and am very worried about atrophy, so I lay on the bed and stretch and bend my knees all the way in to my chest. I sit on the bed and stretch (simply put, I do yoga on the bed). I can't get down to the floor and up again right now, but someday I WILL and I don't want to be atrophied when I do.

As for swimming, we recently stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks while in business training. It had an indoor heated pool and hot tub. I found that in the pool, I could squat all the way down and rise, so I did. Swimming was too much of a challenge with my shoulders, but I could just run back and for in 4' for some cardiovascular exercise. Then came my reward. A long soak in the hot tub. Ahhhhhhhh.

I have clawfoot tubs in my house and most times can't get down and up in them so hot soaks at home are out. But the hot tub had steps to allow me to work my way down and then I could sit. Oh man! I've got to join our local health club quick.

I don't believe the heated pool was cool enough to promote growth of Lyme. Even if they enjoyed the slightly cooler temps, I got back at them when I entered the hot tub. Water is a great way for us arthritic lymies to keep in shape.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shazdancer:
HI, suiggy!

I also have had profound muscle soreness not set in until TWO DAYS after exercising, which is very different from feeling "normal sore" the morning after. Anybody else get this? I'm wondering if the CoQ-10 or other chemical response (such as toxin buildup) is responsible for this. I'd be interested if any of you have had similar experiences.

I was also bruising easily early in my recovery, but that has returned to normal. The 2-day-after muscle soreness thing seems to be gone, too.

Take care,
Shaz

Hi Shaz,
I have the same experience you do about muscles getting sore two days after I've done the activity. It used to be that I would feel this soreness the next day.

I'm also having weird problems with shin splints.
I've jogged in the past and didn't have this problem, but now it's a problem in a huge way.

I have to ice my shins now or I can't run at all the next day.

About 7 months ago when I decided to start off slowly by walking on the treadmill, I ended up straining my achilles tendon!

I couldn't believe that such a leisurely activity could cuase that kind of damage! I've never had that happen before. It took about 2 weeks to heal.

Now I have to tell you that I am not a Lyme patient.

My mother was recently diagnosed with Lyme after 13 years of the MS label.

I've often wondered if I may also have Lyme but I've spent so many years researching it for my mother that I really haven't done much for myself.

I have the low temp, low heart rate (43 bmp at rest) low blood pressure, occasional hip and knee pain, phasing out when someone talks to me like my concentration level is way off, dizzy spells every time I squat down and get back up, I've passed out twice in my life with no explanation, cry easily compared to my earlier days...

I guess my stuff is so minor that I don't really worry about it.

The only frustration I have is the fact that my endurance is so bad that I can't run as fast as I want nor really improve and I can't comfortably hold a conversation while taking a simple walk without being breathless.

Ok, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent here! Sorry guys!

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just thinking about a time I went to the gym with my daughter who was signing up.

I was walking with a cane at the time barely, which was great compared to being bedridden.

I remember this young guy looking at me like right lady when I said someday I will be in here exercising building myself up and my biggest goal and dream would be to run a marathon if only a short distance. I felt like smacking him in the face and I am not a violent person at all he mad me so angry.

I know it sounded crazy looking at me in such awful physical condition however, that guy stayed in my head and makes me angry everytime I think of him.

It makes me mentally stronger to want to give it my all just to try to prove a point.

As we all know mentally doesn't always prove the same as physical ability and vise versa.

I know this is a crazy post but just sharing some feelings on how people look down on you like your nuts! Maybe it's just me....

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soleil,

I read your post and was nodding in agreement with the first part. I too found walking increasingly problematic -- especially with shin splints.

After a year or so with no improvement, when I continued to walk, my right foot would begin to go numb.

That one symptom set off my merry-go-round of specialists around here -- 13 in all -- specialists with all their tests and their proclamations.

The whole time, I had undiagnosed Lyme.

I just want to encourage you to at least go to your Mom's doctor (or another LLMD) and ask them to test you through Igenex. At least that way, you'll be able to rule that out as a possibility.

That disease hunt robbed me of 4 years I could have been healing.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish we could all meet at a new age Lyme spa. It would be a place of great comfort and compassion. The temp would be at least75 degrees, the swimming pool would be 80 or more.

Only organic foods would be served and all the staff would be the most lyme literate people on earth to help us figure out what to do next.

We would have access to all the latest in lyme therapies--rife machines, hot tubs, oxygen boxes, and whatever else is cutting edge that you might want to try out.

People would speak slowly in uncomplicated language. Lighting would be soothing and the walls would be padded to dampen loud sounds.

Treadmills could only be set to a walking pace.

A dart board would have dr. s as the target for all undertreated lymies to relieve stress.

Acidophillus would flow through all the water fountains, epsom salts would bubble in the hot tub.

Most important, it would be a place where we could all be together and help each other heal.
[group hug]

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey humanbeing,
Save a room for me at the spa. It sounds perfect. I'll stay a year!

I had to cut out exercise almost completely my first year of treatment. It would completely wipe me out and would make symptoms much worse.

When I was able I added in walking little by little. I usually needed a few days of after any activity. Stretching would set off symptoms and wipe me out.

Now I am able to walk everyday. I walk to work via the hilly route. I have been doing my ski machine (Skiers Edge Downhill Trainer) for 12 minutes a few times a week and last week did a full one hour yoga class.

Yesterday I bought a bunch of exercise tapes. I did an hour workout today and then had to nap while I herxed like crazy (vibrating & chills). A few hours later I felt fine.

The key for me has been not to push myself and not to try to exercise everyday, I need rest days.

My body is reponding better to exercise than it used to and I'm getting much stronger.

When I was at my worst last year I could barely move. I could not hold my arms up. I got the relax and renew supported yoga book and found the poses helped alot. At the time it was a major effort just to get a pillow and place in on the floor to do the pose. My hands hurt so much and I was so weak. When I tried to do leg lifts I could only do 2!

I've come a long way since a year ago. A few weeks ago I skied 6 full days on vacation. I have another ski trip coming up in March. It seems like a miracle.

hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Hi Soleil,

Maybe it's Lyme or a co-infection. You know the drill well enough, so only you can make the decision if you want to pursue treatment. I would only caution that you keep an eye on your symptoms, don't live with too much for too long, okay?

You could try a couple of things. For the second-day soreness, try detoxing the body with an epsom salt bath or other detox bath soak. (C. O. Bigelow used to make a good one sold by Bath and Body Works, but they seem to have stopped making it.) Also try taking CoQ-10.

Shin splints are usually caused by impact stress, as you know. The danger in continuing to work with this type of injury is that you could hairline fracture the tibia. I did that once in high school. If the shin becomes very tender, get an x-ray.

I'm guessing that if you haven't changed something else about your running program (like your shoes, or how often you run), then perhaps there has been a mild effect on the nerves or muscles of your feet and ankles.

The subtle muscles of the shin can be strengthened by flexing and pointing the foot. Try heel raises on a curb, so you dip lower than flat each time you come down. 25 before you run, 25 more after. At home, try walking around on the balls of your feet, or doing flex-point exercises at the computer.

Also try concentrating on lifting your foot fully when you walk, walking heel-flat-ball-toe with your feet pointed straight ahead. I noticed that emphasizing my heel more helped relieve some of my foot discomfort (plantar fasciitis?) on long shopping trips. It was also a simple exercise that helped me regain muscle strength in my feet and calves.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Take care,
Shaz
(Not a doc, not a PT, just a dancer!)

trails
Member # 1620

Should you push through the nerve pain when starting an exercise routine?

NOT push yourself in general..just oh this is soooo difficult to explain. Let me try:

I am going to my first PT appoint SINCE the diagnosis of relapsed Lyme. My LLMD has signed Dr. B's guidelines for PT, so that I can start getting some basic strategies to begin "exercising."

When I last had PT....(last year at this time)....we could barely DO anything physical as my arms and legs burned, tingled, bussed and felt like they had razor blades in the muscles.

I mostly got a lot of talking, x-rays and other things to try to pinpoint the problems, trying to accomodate my disablities, some heat, massage and Ultrasound.

My PT said the pain I was describing was nerve pain and didnt want to hurt the nerves further.

Instead we designed slings, splints, etc...to immobilize the limbs and let the nerves heal.

HOWEVER, they never really healed. It was this that lead my PT to begin to examine the possiblity of a relapse of some sort of chronic condition or the onset of one. (she was unaware I had Lyme at the time.)

I would go without using my arm for 3 weeks and the nerve pain would get WORSE instead of better. It was truly maddening.

So this time around, should I just IGNORE the nerve pain as it seems to run in no particular path or have any rhyme or reason.

Any experiences?
Thanks everyone!
And I'll be joining that Lyme Spa ASAP!
Trails

tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Hi Trails

Can only speak from my experience with the nerve pain. the movement and clothes rubbing on my skin made the pain unbearable.

I couldn't wait to get home and take my clothes off it was so bad. Could just lie there and wait for it to calm down with medication.

Just couldn't take it so I stopped going. My dr. said the therapist didn't understand what i was dealing with and unless I was totally up to it and the pain lessened to stay away.

I would love to go back but am so afraid it will flair the pain up again which is excruciating.

You have to judge how you feel. You are the only one that knows your body and how much you can tolerate. I don't get it why the pain would get worse while resting your arm.

I had total nerve pain through my entire body.

If it starts to get sensative then stop...go home and rest! Best of luck to you.

Oh humanbeing, your dream world sounds great, can I have a ticket to get in, Please?

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about walking?

I used to take with one can's of soup in each hand & do curls as I walked.

I would work up to larger cans. In the beginning you can just hold the cans.

Go slow and work up to a lttle farther when you feel your up to it.

At the moment I am so bad . Not doing anything. This tread has been good to read.

Although when I am herxing my body comes to an immediate halt and must rest.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.J. LYME
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.J. LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres something that i never hear anyone talk about is skiing or snowboarding, i just turned 30 this year and i have spent my life around the sport, usually snowboard 75-100 days a season with tons of cross country skiing, and hiking , and mountain biking and all kinds of outdoor stuff.

I am scared to death to get on my snowboard right now and this infact is the first winter i havent had a ski pass since i was about 8 yrs old, it breaks my heart.

I typically live in colorado in the winter and everyone there lives there life around the outdoors, what am i gonna do. Any one get out on the slopes with lyme and do as well as before having it.

--------------------
D.J. Lyme

Posts: 69 | From shoreline CT | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

D.J.Lyme;
I do a lot of skiing, mostly backcountry, during the winter. I just got "hit" by lyme (most likely) around x-mas. I had three days at a skiing-resort with some friends. I go telemark-skiing. The third day I barely could concentrate or move my legs. And it wasn't the normal exhaustion, it was "lymish".

I am worse now, than at x-mas, but I have desided to give skiing a go soon. But yeah, it is frightening if I find out it is just too much for me.

Since you have been snowboarding that much, it must be depressing looking at the snow and not being able to enjoy it as you could before. [Frown]

Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andie:
I've been thinking about getting tested. I have a military physician, so I'll have to see if she's going to be receptive. I'm also worried about wasting her time. I guess because my symptoms are so minor.
Thanks for caring [Smile]

Shaz:
Thanks for the advice. I usually do the up/down thing on a curb but not as long as you suggested. So, I'm going to start doing more of them.

I also started walking on the balls and then the heels of my feet. That seems to be strengthening the muscles more.

I've also started wrapping my legs differently. I used to have it all uniform but now I wrap the bottom (the achilles) tighter and the rest moderately tight and that has helped a bunch.

Thanks for the great advice!

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement