LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » MICHAEL MOORE wants "Health" stories....got any?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MICHAEL MOORE wants "Health" stories....got any?
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK People -- Here's an opportunity that WE MUST TAKE!!!

I'm on Michael Moore's email list, obviously because I'm utterly Babe-a-licious... and probably because I signed up to be on it.

Anyway - he's gonna make a movie about our great health care in America

Yeah, it's a comedy.

Seriously - he's now asking for people to send in their HEALTH STORIES!

You know of anyone with a HEALTH STORY?

He said he WILL read EVERY email.

--I know many of you have tried before and are probably cynical about getting his real attention about this disease. And you may be right. But what if you are not and we miss a chance to get some publicity started ???

THIS is the ONE person that I'd say, "OK, then you write Michael -- go ahead -- take a chance and be a little brutal. Show just a bit of teeth."

Michael Moore likes crazy people doesn't he -- because crazy people make for good movies???

Show just a little bit of your Lyme-induced lunacy...and maybe he'll start noticing if he gets a lot of Lymie lunatics????

If you're not feeling like a lunatic today, then be a bit melodramatic. HEY - with this disease - that shouldn't be difficult!

I will paste the contents of his email below - but PLEASE note that he suggests being brief! This will naturally be difficult for me, but I will consider it one of my challenges for the day...that, and surviving in general.

Just give him enough info that he can't sleep unless he finds out more. BREAK HIS HEART. TICK HIM OFF. WHATEVER YOU NEED TO SAY TO GET HIS ATTENTION.

This is not the time to 'convert' him to a greater Lyme understanding. This is just like a little 'sensational' teaser type of email - kinda like how the news advertises all the sensational story lines in hopes you'll tune into their station.

"TEASE" HIM!

NOTE: Make sure you read his email carefully . Really understand his angle for this movie.

He's going mainly after the insurance companies. Do you know of any one that has been denied coverage with a HEALTH ISSUE?

Also -- Michael does not generally LIKE the U.S. Gov't for various reasons. Do you know of anyone that may also have a HEALTH-RELATED 'beef' with the U.S. Gov't ?? (Such as the fact that Lyme is a biowarfare agent that certain factions of our U.S. Gov't have both propogated & then denied for decades???)

We MUST jump on all ideas with any potential when we can! I think this is one of them. Any takers?

Here's his letter:

quote:
2/3/06

Friends,

How would you like to be in my next movie? I know you've probably heard I'm making a documentary about the health care industry (but the HMOs don't know this, so don't tell them -- they think I'm making a romantic comedy).

If you've followed my work over the years, you know that I keep a pretty low profile while I'm making my movies. I don't give interviews, I don't go on TV and I don't defrost my refrigerator. I do keep my website updated on a daily basis (there's been something like 4,000,000 visitors just this week alone) and the rest of the time I'm... well, I can't tell you what I'm doing, but you can pretty much guess. It gets harder and harder sneaking into corporate headquarters, but I've found that just dying my hair black and wearing a skort really helps.

Back to my invitation to be in my movie. Have you ever found yourself getting ready to file for bankruptcy because you can't pay your kid's hospital bill, and then you say to yourself, "Boy, I sure would like to be in Michael Moore's health care movie!"?

Or, after being turned down for the third time by your HMO for an operation they should be paying for, do you ever think to yourself, "Now THIS travesty should be in that 'Sicko' movie!"?

Or maybe you've just been told that your father is going to have to just, well, die because he can't afford the drugs he needs to get better -- and it's then that you say, "Damn, what did I do with Michael Moore's home number?!"

OK, here's your chance. As you can imagine, we've got the goods on these crooks. All we need now is to put a few of you in the movie and let the world see what the greatest country ever in the history of the universe does to its own people, simply because they have the misfortune of getting sick. Because getting sick, unless you are rich, is a crime -- a crime for which you must pay, sometimes with your own life.

About four hundred years from now, historians will look back at us like we were some sort of barbarians, but for now we're just the laughing stock of the Western world.

So, if you'd like me to know what you've been through with your insurance company, or what it's been like to have no insurance at all, or how the hospitals and doctors wouldn't treat you (or if they did, how they sent you into poverty trying to pay their crazy bills) ...if you have been abused in any way by this sick, greedy, grubby system and it has caused you or your loved ones great sorrow and pain, let me know.

Send me a short, factual account of what has happened to you -- and what IS happening to you right now if you have been unable to get the health care you need. Send it to [email protected]. I will read every single one of them (even if I can't respond to or help everyone, I will be able to bring to light a few of your stories).

Thank you in advance for sharing them with me and trusting me to try and do something about a very corrupt system that simply has to go.

Oh, and if you happen to work for an HMO or a pharmaceutical company or a profit-making hospital and you have simply seen too much abuse of your fellow human beings and can't take it any longer -- and you would like the truth to be told -- please write me at [email protected]. I will protect your privacy and I will tell the world what you are unable to tell. I am looking for a few heroes with a conscience. I know you are out there.

Thank you, all of you, for your help and your continued support through the years. I promise you that with "Sicko" we will do our best to give you not only a great movie, but a chance to bring down this evil empire, once and for all.

In the meantime, stay well. I hear fruits and vegetables help.

Yours,
Michael Moore
[email protected]
www.michaelmoore.com

Can't you do SOMETHING for THE CAUSE today?

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again.

I have sent TODAY'S email to Mr. Michael Moore.

My sole intent with this email was to get his attention.

Now I'm smart enough to know that HE is not actually going to be the one to read it first, so I was trying to add just enough shock and info to get his staff person to throw my email to the top of the pile.

I may or may not have accomplished that with TODAY's email...but TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY!

I say we FLOOD MOORE WITH DAILY EMAILS..short little emails that MUST get his attention by sheer VOLUME and PERSISTENCE alone.

Think about Moore's style. He wouldn't speak out once and then just sit back and shut up. He is all about VOLUME and PERSISTENCE; SHOCK and DRAMA.

You don't have to like him or be on the same side of the political fence -- just recognize that he has the ability to be useful to you & me-- all of us!

I say that in this case, we need to
BE MORE LIKE MOORE!

Following is my *censored* version of today's email. If you are eaisly offended - don't read it. You HAVE been WARNED!

quote:

Subject: Mr. Moore - TAKE OFF THAT SKORT !!!

Mr. Moore -

With all due respect - do you really think you've got the b*lls to report about a health issue that has been propagated, and then covered-up by our great U.S. gov't ?

Do you really have the b*lls to dig deep enough to reveal all of the reasons & methods used by both the government and the health insurance industry to practically rape a great majority of its citizens?

You got the b*lls to expose the government, the insurance industry AND the so-called medical `professionals' that keep our country ignorant about THE #1 EPIDEMIC IN THE UNITED STATES?

Do you really want to alarm all of the great American movie-goers about a disease that's been around for decades - being misdiagnosed time & again - sending most people into financial ruin, many into PERMANENT DISABILITY, and some even to their very graves because of it?

You got the b*lls to talk about a BIO-WARFARE agent?

Yeah, right!

I'm talking about Lyme disease. And if you think you know everything about Lyme disease, allow me to respectfully suggest that you are full of ****.

WE ARE SUFFERING & DYING DAILY. We have tried to get YOUR attention numerous times. Do you truly give a rat's *ss?

Take off that skort. Let's see your b*lls, Mr. Moore.

Hugs & Kisses,

DR Wiseass
-not a real doc - just a real wise ***
[email protected]
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Now SEE? Wasn't that FUN?

Now go write your email -- make us proud!

And have a little FUN while you're at it! What have you got to lose?

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wisebutt---you freakin ROCK!

-

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadow13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadow13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on my attention-getting email right now. Will post when I am done. Thanks for putting the "ball(s)" in his court ... so to speak.

--------------------
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 830 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest a caution and stepping back to think for a minute on thie one.. about focusing on Lyme in this film --

fundementally, of course..
we should be in there.

Personally, I like his films and he cuts to the heart of the matter, no doubt..
however this would be insurance focused.

My concern is the vulnerable and fledgling stages of the poitical movement to get federal backing and credibility..legislation.

I hate to even have to look at it this way (anyone who knows me would know I do not usually pale to activism [Razz] ), but it's something to consider, that we might loose all Republican consideration if we get highlighted through Moore. I know it's WRONG, but it may be the reality.

It would be very delicate as to how to present the story, to say the least. I would think something more like Open Eye is working on will be better for us.

In other words, on principal..absolutely..
on gaining solid ground in Lyme advocacy that produces results beyond some awareness, I'm not sure. It could work against that.

maybe...maybe not..
MAYBE if you just focused on insurance, I really don't know.........

Just something to carefully consider is all. IMO.

If I were considering it, I would ask the heavy hitters in Lyme advocay what they thought, becuase of the hugfe venue this is and the controversy surrounding his films, and how
(or if) to present Lyme in that context..

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mo:
If I were considering it, I would ask the heavy hitters in Lyme advocay what they thought, becuase of the hugfe venue this is and the controversy surrounding his films, and how
(or if) to present Lyme in that context..

Mo

Good point, Mo.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

I hear your point, Mo, honey - BUT...

IMO, Lyme is not a partisan issue - altho Lyme politics is sometimes far more ridiculous that bi-partisan politics ever dreamed of being.

So which 'heavy-hitters' in all the LD organizations are you wanting to ask? Because if you get them all in a room and try to get a consensus -- all you're gonna see is a bunch of people 'marking their territory' over who's gonna come out the top Lyme dog.

NO THANK YOU.

I understand that MM is controversial -- hence, his huge draw.

What, may I ask, are you afraid of?

You are afraid that by MM telling the story that we may come across as crazy?

NEWSFLASH -- Some of us ALREADY are thanks to this disease. [loco]

Are you afraid that by MM telling the story that the Republicans will not take us 'seriously' enough?

Well h*ll - NEITHER the Republicans nor the Democrats are taking us seriously enough RIGHT NOW because they DON'T HEAR US.

Why don't they HEAR US?

Because as a 'community' of SICKOS - we are far too sick & tired to repeatedly and loudly GET IN THEIR FACE and remind them over and over and over.

I know just writing a few posts and letters this week has literally kicked my *ss.

So you're telling me that you, and I, and all the rest of us are NOT going to be taken seriously if we have a big loud mouth speaking on our behalf?

Are our elected officials that d*mn shallow and heartless?

THIS IS AMERICA, d*mnit!

Do we need to pass a special "test" of some kind to determine WHO is SANE enough or POLITICALLY 'CORRECT' enough to speak out against such an injustice that has been visited upon OUR heads time after time?

Give me a freakin' d*mn break!

Anyway, by the time MM gets that movie made, this year's legislation will have either moved forward or died in committees - which if people around here don't start pulling their heads off their pillows and start contacting people - IT WILL DIE in the SUB-COMMITTES - and then we get to START ALL OVER next session.

So as far as THIS session of Congress - I think MM's involvement may be a moot point.

Next -- I forgot my next point! Been a helluva long day already and herxing like a big dog.

And YES, I feel bad enough now that I AM considering sticking my head in the toilet to see that if by flushing a lot - perhaps I may be able to drown myself and put myself outta today's misery. [toilet]

Wait. What else was I gonna say?

I honestly feel too badly today to care what smart*ss tells my story, and who he p*sses off in doing so.

What matters to me is that the story gets told; that PEOPLE START TO LISTEN - TO QUESTION - only then will we get closer to having them truly UNDERSTAND.

I choose not to cow down and shut up because I'm afraid I'll p*ss off a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, or some wild-eyed Independent.

I freely admit that I am a novice when it comes to politics - which probably makes me average American citizen in that regard.

With that said, as that average American citizen I CAN recognize some of the controversial issues surrounding MM.

I CAN, despite all this bacteria raging thru my gray matter, still see that he is doing his part. He is doing MORE than his fair share in tryng to light a fire under our red, white, and blue butts -- trying to get us off the Lazy Boy long enough to make some much needed changes in this country - whateever they may be.

I know that many people have formed their opinion of MM based upon both their religious & political beliefs and I just think that people are not seeing that we can USE his big smart*ss mouth regardless of how we FEEL about him personally.

Besides, what's that expression?
Ain't no thing such as bad press?

IMO, we need all the d*mn press we can get right now. The 'legitimate' press doesn't seem to be saying much of anything SIGNIFICANT.

So if not MM, then WHO? WHO else is 'offering' right now? Should we all just wait around for Oprah to have pity on our souls?

Count me out of that long-*ss bread-line! I love the big O - but she's got her own agenda. And so far I don't see HER agenda and OUR agenda meshing.

In closing, I'm not really mad. Just feeling impassioned by this topic AND waiting for my ribs to start poking holes in vital organs.

I am actually p*ssed off from the overwhelming pain -- and I want the d*mn world to know about it!

This concludes DR. Wiseass's LYME RAGE.... [cussing] ...for now.

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...Doc SmartBooty -
we could get into a long debate as to whether this is America anymore..
but that would be OT. [spinning smile]

Seriously --

I was talking about looking at whether this would impede the advancements and work on the table already been done through years of blood, sweat and tears on our behalf.

Please consider whether it is really 'waiting around for them'..
as they have been working in the real world tirelesly 24/7.
There is allot to consider is all I am saying.
I alse have no clue what the long time activists would say about this.

I come from an entertainmenet and film background...and I have thought about this allot... not saying I know what to do in this instance, because I honestly do not. Something is just telling me to stop and think.

I was also talking about looking at where Open Eye (the documentary in progress) is at in progress and how it compares..as one of the producers is a Lyme patient and a member here.

I feel your rage, believe me..
totally!!..

The heavy hitters would to my mind be Pat Smith (LDA), EllenLuba (Voices of Lyme), and Phyllis Mervine of CALDA.
I can help you get their e-mails if you want.

At least worth a comminication with on this IMO, considering the potential impact of MM's movies and the cloud of very partisan controversy that follows him alone.. (tho I think that is unfair, he is a brilliant documentary filmmaker IMO). You can decide whether to take the Lyne 'leader's' advice or not, of course.

There is allot to consider and allot at stake for others, and whehter this would be good is beside the point... it couldn't hurt and might be prudent to step back and think on it a minute.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mo and Dr. WA,

i am delighted to read of this debate. i think the two of you are beautiful (which i just had trouble spelling today) and committed to helping.

i am doing better with cognitive sx, but no way could i write anything coherent about my long struggles with illness, bankruptcy, and insurance.

i just am thrilled to be able to write here more frequently because i can get the ideas out.

great topic!!! thankssssssssss

[bonk]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Moore wants stories about health problems, and insurance fiascos.

The entire drama of the Lyme thing is NOT what he would be looking for.

But....how about the insurance problems within the Lyme drama?

Did you know that some of the insurance companies bribe doctors NOT to diagnose and treat Lyme Disease?

They'll take a big group of doctors in one office, and promise them a HUGE bonus for the year if no one diagnosis and treats a case of Lyme.

I read somewhere that the bonus could be ten or twenty thousand dollars -- per physician.

So there is tremendous pressure from the other doctors NOT to diagnose a patient with Lyme, because the rest of them will lose that bonus.

Did you ever wonder why the doctor says, "No it couldn't be Lyme," and quickly ushers you out of the office?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are you getting this information?

If it can be substantiated, you should pass this onto him for the movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:

Did you know that some of the insurance companies bribe doctors NOT to diagnose and treat Lyme Disease?

Carol

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I read about it in two different articles, but can't remember where I saw the information.

Here is one source with similar allegations:
10 Dirty Tricks Your HMO Doesn't want you to Know
http://www.rescuehealthcareday.com/10DirtyTricks.htm

When I was thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that this angle might be something that would interest Moore.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Thanks Carol!

Thank YOU for helping to refocus us.

I was wanting us to try to focus on the angle that MM would use - about the corruptness of insurance as it pertains to this disease...

...I, personally, was just trying to get the man's attention long enough to do so.

As I may have mentioned, I am planning on sending several emails - use a little persistence to get some attention as well. It may not work - but at least I can say I tried.

As far as the opinions of others -- I know that not everyone will agree with me or those of us who hold that position that MM could help us.

I do not begrudge anyone their opinion; and I could spend far too much time trying to convince you about the truth to the adage that 'there's no such thing as bad press'

If you don't believe it -- you just don't. So I shall conserve my energy for other matters.

For those that DO believe that we need to be shouting from the rooftops, I say FULL SPEED AHEAD ;

For those that don't - may I suggest that you see some of the political threads posted in General that pertain to the now pending Federal Legislation that is stuck in sub-committee and will most certainly DIE there if not enough is heard from the Lyme commuinty?

So instead of waiting for some magical person to come along and save our Lymie a$$es, perhaps we could use part of our computer time trying to also get the attention of our elected officials - and not just depending upon those that HAVE been working on our behalf for all too long.

NOW IS THE TIME WE ALL START WORKING ON OUR OWN BEHALF.

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Doctor Smart Bottem,

Can I use the same letter for Moore as I do for the Ya Ya sister post?

Even the thought of it cracks me up!

Lin

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I like Michael, and his work, and I think he is looking out for the little guy with sincerity.

My wonderings were on whether the slice of Lyme pie that would fit into his film on the insurance industry could help or hurt.

I have no way of knowing the answer to that, just wondering.

I also think there IS such a thing as bad publicity, especially in something as complicated and far-reaching as this disease.

My only comment to anybody doing this would be to just keep in mind what the best mesage in this particular venue would be..
maybe some consistancy in the mesage would help..

and also keep in mind that you can sit even for hours with a reporter or filmmaker or writer who has the very best of intentions, and they may use, not use, cut, embelish, or edit your contribution into something you didn't quite have in mind.
That's the reason I won't take my experience to him. Becuase I will not be able to control how it is presented, and God forbid the exposure harms the Lyme Doc terain more than it already is vulnerable/exposed.
It's not a matter of not being a mobilized activist...it's that Moore, in the possibility of using this to contribute to his film involving the massive issue with insurance nightmares in all illnesses..
is not likely to become as Lyme Literate as is necessary to know exacly what should (and should NOT) be illuminated in his film re: Lyme.
He could choose exactly the right bits to emphasize, or exactly the wrong ones.

As a contributor, you would have no say in that or some might also not know what would be potentially harmful to present, and I think a wide release film hitting on that with all the complications should be produced by a Lyme Literate. That's M.O.

Not that folks shouldn't try to get word out, just that that is part of the scenery in this kind of stuff.

Mo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement