LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » marriage in serious trouble

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: marriage in serious trouble
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This disease is seriously killing my marraige...were on the verge of diveorce....what do you all do?

I was sick for three years before concrete diagnsis i wa so sick thats no big decret to any of you you all get it...we got married 2 years ago in the heart of my illness and before diagnosis...he married me anyway I wouldnt have marrieid me LOL....

well i immediatly found a wonderful LLMD and began treatment almost 1 year ago well you all know the ups and down of not only being sick but getting well, i cant beleive he has stuck it out this long....

We are both police officers who work opposite shifts and he works part time at the fire dept I havnt seen him in weeks maybe months really maybe he works to get away from me i dont know

He has been hosptialized for cardiac related stress and even cried last night we are running out of fight....

I love him so much but I dont know how to get through this we dont talk as it is how do you talk about stuff as seriously as this when we dont even say hello or good bye?

I am a miserable person to be around I guess I forget he is going through this too on the other side./..does any one elso go through this or have any suggestions im desperate to save my marraige....thank you ...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how high the divorce rate is for police officers. The stress of the job puts a strain on a marriage. Add to that illness and you've got trouble.

Please seek professional counseling. I think it will help and it can't hurt.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by firecop1066:
This disease is seriously killing my marraige...were on the verge of diveorce....what do you all do?

I was sick for three years before concrete diagnsis i wa so sick thats no big decret to any of you you all get it...we got married 2 years ago in the heart of my illness and before diagnosis...he married me anyway I wouldnt have marrieid me LOL....

well i immediatly found a wonderful LLMD and began treatment almost 1 year ago well you all know the ups and down of not only being sick but getting well, i cant beleive he has stuck it out this long....

We are both police officers who work opposite shifts and he works part time at the fire dept I havnt seen him in weeks maybe months really maybe he works to get away from me i dont know

He has been hosptialized for cardiac related stress and even cried last night we are running out of fight....

I love him so much but I dont know how to get through this we dont talk as it is how do you talk about stuff as seriously as this when we dont even say hello or good bye?

I am a miserable person to be around I guess I forget he is going through this too on the other side./..does any one elso go through this or have any suggestions im desperate to save my marraige....thank you ...Jill

You said:

I Dont want to know about your premarrital sex just letting you know this ::but I believe this disease can be transmitted sexually also.

His heart problems could be lyme not just stess???

Second you say you love him so much Tell him so.

He married you in sickness and health Both parties need to remember there vows.

Tell him you love him and mean it.
Stop walking bye each other and not speaking how can either of you possibly know the others thought and feelings without communication??

Both of you need to talk and mean what you say to each other and leave out the problems or little things that bug each other for the time being and concientrate on the most immportant things first.

You both may have this disease and now more than ever you need each other.

God bless and may you get through this.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firecop1066     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww thanks guys,
Yep really high police divorce rate as it is...now add the fact that we both are and a chronic illness and that im a chronic witch doesnt help....I used to be such a nice outgoing optomistic person...I miss me!!!

COmmunication is key I know that we had a 2-3 hour conversation last night and i talked for 95 percent of it i think hes just at a loss for words...I took today off to be with him as he came home sick last night..

As far as lyme with him...i give up on that...I think he has it...my LLMD thinks there is a good chance although through the crappy lab he only had 41 positive....but he has a ton of symptoms fatigue, vision problems aches pains...and the first thing i said with the cardiac episonde last month when his tests came back with nothing was ...are you getting it...you have lyme...he just brushes it off, he wont see my doc..and my doc says just give him time...

I give him books and lituature, pamphlets but he doesnt read them or if he does he wont talk about it with me....ugghhh

well than you for the support I called my therapist this morning waiting for him to call back hoping to spend time with hubby today just him and I I hope he doesnt sleep all day...thanks again...Jill

Posts: 83 | From Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, so sorry to read about how the chronic lyme has affected you both & your marriage. Suggest you do a SEARCH about marital problems; there has been a lot on this board, and many divorces!

GOOD, glad to hear you called a counselor. Does the PD offer anything like that to you employees?

I've been married 31.5 years. Undx for 34 yrs with my lyme, and finally dx. 7-04. My husband has NEVER known me healthy. He married me for better or worse & in sickness & health.

It has put a strain on our marriage especially the last 5 years of fighting to get SSDI, SS disability insurance benefits being turned down for 5 years & doing REDUNDANT paperwork over & over! He was disgusted he couldn't do anything to help me when I had air my feelings for EACH turndown they threw at me.

DENIAL - we have all had it at the beginning and some even now. Until he accepts any of this, he won't read or really listen to this. Best wishes & you'll be in my prayers...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to get control of the miserable personality that Lyme causes. I know it's not easy and many of us work on it every day. Make a conscious attempt to be pleasant and talk to your spouse about spending more quality time together.

It has to start with you.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

shelley
Frequent Contributor
Member # 3724

posted 07 February, 2006 09:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you can go to a counselor? I went to one and it helped me to deal with my family. They did not understand what I was going through, nor were they interested..
The counselor helped me not to get my feelings so hurt by them and gave me a different perspective. I didn't want to go at first, but it really helped me to learn a lot. I still have my notes and refer back to them somethimes. The things I learned not only apply to being sick but life in general.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 2134 | From: columbia,sc | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged |

firecop1066
Member # 6920

I tried to figure out how to combine/ the two threads as i realize I duplicated...Lyme brain not up to speed today i did the best i could....

thank you all for your replies and advide...its been a rough couple of days and we will/ and should have along time ago started marraige counseling...ill be making our first appointment today....I havnt given up yet and i am not going to start now!!!!thanks to everyone...Jill

just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firecop--

Nice to see you again. Just met you Saturday night and I still promise to 'behave'

Do "everything" humanly possible. Being alone and sick is no fun.

It is not fun and games like they perceive singlehood to be. Wish I had have known then what I know now. I would have stood on my head to 'stay' married rather than be miserable alone.

And 'if' I knew what I had for this disease would have answered most my questions and problems. TOO little too late, for me.

You have the power to keep things going or rekindle the "fire" Firecop(pun intended). Go get your matches, AND keep "talking"!!! There were reasons you were attracted to each other, use them to your advantage. Rediscover what you like again. Find NEW attractions, fall in love all over.

Be aggressive in fixing what isnt broken completely. Healing takes time and 'wanting' to. A BIG wanting to. Ask what he likes(loves0 about you, yesterday(past) and today, and what he dislikes same way. Only way you can get past this juncture. AND return the favor, and DONT say "oh nothing" when asked whats wrong!!!
Think of this as a intersection of life. Go straight ahead "together" or either take a right turn or left turn by themselves. Turning 'might' be easier, but straight ahead is the prefered straightest route from Point A to Point B. And DONT let the 'fire' go out!!!

Lastly you HAVE to find things to "DO" (hobbies or entertainment)together, interests in common, drives the relationship. You can even use your professions to do this because you have 'basic same' info to share with each other. Understanding each other is huge step. Defeat the odds, go for the 'gold'. 'marriage encounter' is also a great deal. Do you have a church that could have something similiar, think about it, go to church together, pray together. Any other thing you can "do" together(and that word is applied 'loosely')
Good luck, have fun, and see where you can go straight up from here!!! because I remain--just don--!!! [bonk] with a sore noggin!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Don, I think you missed your calling!

That was a lovely message of advice, good for everyone with a chronic disease or not.

Bravo!
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firecop1066
Member # 6920

Thanks guys, momentarily at least we are on speaking terms, we will try and work things ou t and will be starting marraige counseling....I love him and i know how rough its been for him i acknowledge that...time to move on forgive, and try to remeber the love we once had...just hard with our jobs to find the time to do it....we will just have to make the time....

Although I dont post much i read daily all the posts on this board...I appreciate all of you, your advice your struggles your sucesses, i never feel alone with this disease so thank you...(WELL SAID DON!!!!!)

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Don; that was beautifully said to Fire!

Fire, go in with a positive attitude that your glass is HALF FULL; attitude is everything. Glad all offered excellent advise.

Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement