LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » school coding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: school coding
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need all your expert advise...

We have been trying to get my son w/ TBi coded for an IEP since last April...We got a 504 plan in OCt which is really no help cuz no one follows it...

So spec ed director at school sends me an email saying letter from LLMD w/ diagnosis is not good enough, they need copies of blood test, scan results etc....

Does this make sense to you?!

Thanks!

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are not following the 504 plan they are out of compliance. There are several things you can do.

1.Contact the Parent Education Training Center in your state for info on your/his rights. This is run by the feds.

2. Dept of Education to file a complaint if your scohool is not following the 504 plan.

3. Speak to the complance officer for your district.

4. File a compliant with the Office of Civil Rights. Not the most effective route. Try the others first.

Contact these folks they might be able to help you themselves or point you in the right direction. There is no fee for their services.
http://www.drcnh.org/priorities.htm

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robi
the point of the 504 is mute cuz he needs an IEP....and very specific cognitive rehab services...

my big question is whether the school can ask for a release of medical tests and scan result...can't letters from LLMd and neurologist be more than adequate?

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 25. February 2008, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact these folks they might be able to help you themselves or point you in the right direction. There is no fee for their services.
http://www.drcnh.org/priorities.htm

These folks are advocates and there organization is one that serves people with disabilities. It really is worth a call

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

optimistick...

Thanks for all the info....

We have hired and advocate...
We have an extensive neuorphsych exam including the needed modifcation for our son...

the school recieved such report in early january, but the spec ed director at the school doesn't aggree with the test results , or the dx of lyme disease as being problematic...

I will check with the state dept of ed....

I'm ready to pull my hair out....

My son has been out of school on medical leave for the past 5 weeks..he was getting sicker and sicker in school trying to catch up and keep up without support...

shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OptiMisTick gets a "woohoo" from me for that post!
[woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo]
Special Ed administrators are not diagnosticians. If your doctor's note contains a list of what areas of learning are impaired by Lyme disease, then that is what they MUST go by.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And one more comment on Opt's post...
quote:
If necessary, you might consider paying for your own neuropsych exam which many insurances will reimburse for at the going rate. This way you don't get a Psych who is on the school payroll injecting bias, which can happen, regrettably
This happened to me -- the school psych (in a VERY endemic area, shame on them) did the neuro-psych. All the cognitive red flags were there, as Dr. J immediately pointed out when he saw it. But the school psych had spun all the data, and we lost 6 more months of help that he could have gotten.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

yes shaz optimistick gave me great info...

we had a private neuropsych done... after the school did there own testing... spec ed director doesn't agree with our result...

but, I did talk to state dept of ed.... they said school's request was no good..., and that llmd's dx is valid...

the journey continues...

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Achey, you are fighting a war out there...YOu must get in the trenches and take aim..They do not want to pay more money for services..

We finally got results with the threat of a law suit..But we did have an IEP..So even with the IEP, you must remain vigilent..You are your child's # 1 Advocate...

You can demand, in writing, for new testing and referrals. I think this can be done every 2 weeks..Play any game that you must play..

YOu have some great advise from Miss Tick and others, but there are many previous posts by MO and others..Do a search and you might find some other ideas..

Good luck and get the combat gear on...lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement