LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » got pets?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: got pets?????
hopeful123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey all,

i thought of this thread this morning while hanging out with my two lovely cats in a warm, cozy bed.

the older one is Micky (short for Michelangelo) who is around nine. he was about a year or so when a friend of a friend gave him to me because he was terrorizing her two older cats. he's a burmese (i think) and he was found by this friend of a friend's boyfriend.

micky was sitting next to the boyfriend when the ambulance arrived after the boyfriend's car accident. the boyfriend got well. didn't like cats and then gave the cat to the friend of a friend.

so, micky must have been out in the wild because the accident happened in the country. sort of a guardian angel.

roy, the little one, is black and white and almost 2 - having a lyme moment, there. not remarkable in any way except very sweet and cuddly.

sometimes they groom each other.

any pet owners want to share?

[Smile]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tequeslady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tequeslady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 cats... Bo and Lukie. I adopted them together as kittens; they were litter mates. When I first saw them, I first picked up Lukie and he licked me on the nose, so I knew I was getting him. I looked over at the other one, Bo, and he was the last kitten from the litter. I just couldn't leave him, so I adopted him too.

Lukie is dark gray and white and he is the brains of the team. Quite mischievous. His favorite trick is to sit and then raise up and wave his front legs in the air and move them up and down rapidly. Like he's begging for attention. It works. He learned this when he was just a few months old. A friend of mine was visiting and was telling me that I turned cats into dogs... I was disagreeing when she pointed at Lukie and said... LOOK! We both laughed. Seven years later, he still does this little act.

Bo is yellow and white and is pure sweetness. He only wants to drink out of the faucet... you know, running water. Automatic waterers aren't good enough apparently. ;-) He loves his belly rubbed.

Lukie, on the other hand, recently had a urinary tract infection and wasn't drinking hardly anything. I just couldn't get him to. Then, I remembered how often he used to irritate me by trying to drink out of the glass of whatever I put by my bedside to drink. So... you know where this is going don't you? Lukie now has a glass of water by my bed. It's the only place he'll drink. I've got to say that it hasn't done wonders for the wood of my nightstand, but.... I can get it refinished someday.

I guess you could safely say that they are spoiled. But, these two have been my salvation since I have had lyme. My best buddies...

Posts: 856 | From Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have always been dog people with a disdain and allergy to cats. We currently have a 14year old doberman, Pistol, who is falling apart bit by bit, but we will be as faithful to him as he has been to us, and when he gives us the signal, we will let him go.

However, ten years ago we were taking a walk on a very warm Arizona evening and found a kitten left at the doorstep of someone's home. The people living there were trying to ignore it. This kitte was the most beautiful I'd ever seen; a lynxpoint siamese with big blue eyes.

I didn't know how to care for a cat, but the kids and I fell in love with him. He has been a total indoor cat, and we spoil him rotten. We named him Bisbee after the town in southern AZ where my grandmother grew up. He and Pistol give each other kisses

My husband refuses to acknowledge the cat, but the cat always greets him at the door...I wonder why?

So for all you cat lovers, I'm still very allergic, but this cat is very precious to me, and my daughter who has been ill for so long He is sleeping on her bed right now.

I think everyone with a chronic illness should at least have the love of a pet.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i so totally agree that the're my best buddies and that everyone with chronic illness should have a pet.

anyone else?

--------------------

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My little boy, Twilight.... is a big cat....he is just tall and big boned.....

he is white with a little bit of gray on his head..

actually if you look at the right angle the gray area looks like a heart.

He was homeless... at the time my cat rosie was still alive...

but I was feeding him and put a bed outside for him....

A little while after rosie died it started snowing... so we asked him if he wanted to come in ....

He ran in and curled up on the couch next to me..

he's been beside me ever since.

He is usually really sweet but sometimes he has a temper...

He is very smart knows how to open doors cabinets....

can figure out how to open just about anything.

Its funny if he is outside my mom can call him and he will just ignore her...

I call him he comes running.

We spend alot of time together... he sleeps next to me... watches movies with me....

sits on my keyboard while I am typing...

I dont know what I would do without him. [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My life would not be complete without pets. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

I have a 6 year old rescue golden retriever named Wendell. He is my best friend. He sleeps in bed between us.

Incidentally, when I got my first dog years ago I walked her in the woods, along the river, in weeds up to my neck several times a week. This is how I got my bullseye rashes.

Patti

Posts: 340 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dos gatos aqui TAMBIEN! 2 cats here also!

pele and ori.

littermates and still groom and play like they are kittens even though they are 8 yrs old.

I hate the cat hair in the house, but I love the cats.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holly135
Member # 8819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a year after I got Lyme, I was really sick, and my grandmother gave me her little Pekingese, Ming Li.

Ming Li was just a wonderful companion dog, she always knew when I wasn't feeling well and would cuddle with me for hours.

She also had a way of knowing when I really felt bad and when I was just sort of mopey about being sick, heh. She wouldn't stay with me if I wasn't really feeling sick.

She was the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. I just loved her. When I was sick she'd stay with me, and when I felt better we'd do things, like I took her to a dog show once.

She won first prize with our other dog, they were wearing Robin Hood and Maid Marian costumes my sister and I made. She never minded being dressed up.

My family moved to Australia about two years ago, and I had to leave Ming Li with my grandmother. We were there about ten months, and she was very old and the whole time I kept expecting to hear that she'd died while we were gone.

Finally it was getting close to when we were going home and I kept thinking how great it would be to see her again, and I couldn't wait to have her back. She died four days before we got home.

I've had a lot of other pets, and I have a dog now. But there was just something special about Ming Li, she made me feel better just to be with her. I miss her.

Posts: 19 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

wonderful stories

thanks for sharing....i'm not the only looney tunes cat/animal lover...

hopeful123

--------------------

believe3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for believe3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two cats. Shady and Tye. They are sisters and I got them from a backwoods shelter in

Northern Minnesota. They had a chicken in the house where I go them. Very funny. They were very

shy and wanted to run and hide all the time. They are still very skidish. One of them only comes

out arround me and at night when everyone is sleeping. I have always babied them. So much

that a friend of mine who worked with PETA thought I was overboard. Then I had kids and they kinda

took the back burner. But they are and will always be my babies. Shady always has to sleep

right under the covers by me. She is so sweet. My husband hates them. He hates the smell of the

litter box and he freakes out when they occasionally have an "accident". He has tried

numerous times to convince me to get rid of them. I won't. I don't care. I adoped them and they

are my responsibility now. I am their protector and I would hate myself if I had to let them go.

My husband is one of those "animal lovers" that love animals as long as they are clean and do what

he wants them to do. When he gets tired of them he prefers to get rid of them. He wanted to get

rid of our Saint Bernard that he HAD to have after he realized that he slobbered and pooped in the

back yard. DUH! I wouldn't let him get rid of him either. Our Saint died of old age a few

months ago. Sorry this is so long.

--------------------
Love, Merrie
Believe in the power of your spirit..for it will carry you through the darkest hours of your life

Posts: 261 | From minnesota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MizMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizMo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must have fur....it's vital to the mental health [Smile]

We have Mojo, he's the shiba in my signature. He's our baby, he's just over two years. A total imp and a major snuggler.

Risa is our chocolate lab - she's my current rescue dog. Got her when she was 10 months old and we are her third family! She'll be six in August. Clings to me like glue when I'm home. Terribly bossy but a total lovebug.

Cricket - our one and only cat because I promised Scott we'd only have one (mom had 12 when he started dating me, so he was nervous). He's your standard grey/black tabby with white feet and underbelly. Likes to roughhouse and ambush your ankles from underneath the tables. When I feel up to it, he and I sometimes play games of tag in the house in the middle of the night.

Wonderful stories folks!

~Miz Mo

--------------------
http://scottsbt.com/maureen/mo2.htm

Posts: 145 | From Mystic Island, NJ 08087 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two rescue dogs and they are the light of my life and a cat.

Wouldn't want to go a day without the unconditional love I get from my furry friends
[kiss]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two wonderful black cats, Sebastian and Viola. Littermates who are my saviours.

Sebastian is a 20 lb dog cat. He does have a dog personality, sometimes fetches, and needs constant contact with people. He likes to sleep spread out right up next to me...or sometimes he tries to share my pillow. Old roomate called him a lounger, because he likes to rest a paw and his head on something higher than his body.

Viola is half the size and the most precious thing in the whole wide world. She still has soft kitten fur and a kitten face, even though she's 9. Smartest cat in the world. You can see her do the math before she jumps to make sure she can make it.

Sebastian and Viola got me through my darkest Lyme days. The days when I would lie on the couch unable to move, they were always there. When my hands were in constant pain, the only relief I found was sliding my fingers into their fur and feeling their warmth and the softness of their fur.

I should have known my last boyfriend was bad news because he never warmed to Sebastian. Everybody warms to Sebastian, even cat haters. Because he's really a dog [Smile]

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 10 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had to put our dog to sleep about 3 weeks ago. She was my sons best friend. He is 16 and so sick from this lyme. We know have Earl a Bassett hound puppy. He is nine weeks and cute as can be! He was the best therapy for my son. The two of them are best friends! The day we picked up Earl was the first time I have seen my son smile in a long time!
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know how broken your heart must be. I posted earlier in this thread about our dear 14 year old doberman. Today, we had to release him. He was in pain, but never gave us a clue. We have spent the day grieving and watching videos of him as a puppy.

So, in honor of our dear Pistol...we love you, and thank you for your 14 years of faithful devotion. Bisbee(cat)is lost without you.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't live without my critters.

My daughter and I are animal lovers. One of our two dogs and two of our three cats is adopted from the Humane Society.

We also have a horse who thinks he's a dog.

Plus four Fancy Rats, one of whom is a very Elderly Senior Citizen rat with great character.

And a very cool leopard gecko named Speedy who smiles when he sees you.

Critters are a must for your mental health!

Michelle

-

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got feathery pals.....three parakeets.

My son who has lyme and lacks friends has given them human names...Larry, Danny and Christopher.

I'm hoping things change for the better for my little guy soon...he is a great kid but lyme has caused our family to be hermits sometimes.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was love at first bit. The terrible terrier was deemed too vicious to be adopted but one of those ladies who has gone to the dogs took her home and I adopted from her.

Shes just a little thing but she nipped me the first time I saw her and thats how I knew it was love.

It took me 3 months of intensive care but she turned around. I now say she rescued me cuz living alone and not being active I cant imagine how sterile my life would me without "she who rules"

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our cats entertain us everyday. This is Jack on the right and Tiger on left.

-

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

wow,

haven't had to put an animal down in 25 yrs i think. my molly waited until i got home from visiting my kids in L.A. and then crawled across the floor to greet me and then died.

the guy watching her said he didn't know anything was wrong.

she was 16. 3 years ago this summer. still miss her. my little one will be three this summer. i posted 2 earlier.

--------------------

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What great posts,

Alwys fun to hear about our companions. Im a dog persson, was a dog trainer and owned a dog obedience school before my feet fell apart.

I have two now, Arco is a German Shepherd, trained for service. Amanda is a labX who is a potatoe.

Love the pictures, don't know how to post mine. Thanks all for sharing.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMC,
I wish you could help me train my brood! We have three dogs and one cat. Did have two cats, but Pickles died two years ago. He was diabetic and most loving and loved. We still miss him terribly.

Spooky, our living cat, was rescued from a dumpster by my son's teacher; and of course he offered to take him! A very handsome black cat with white paws and chest. We got him at Halloween, hence the name.

Pepper, our Havanese, is little and loud. He is a throwback to my more sensible days - a non shedder. When my daughter got sick and was homebound, she begged for a black lab; and in one of our weaker moments, we gave in and welcomed Molly into our home. She is a truly talented ball catcher. We have thought about talking to the Baltimore Orioles about taking her on as a catcher! She really would rather play ball than eat. We have tested this, using her favorite treats.

A year after getting Molly, my son (the same one who "rescued" Spooky) came home from college with Daisy, a beagle who was enroute to the animal shelter until he intervened. She apparently was not treated well, so it took about a year to get her fully house-broken. But what a sweet, dainty little lady! They are a constant source of entertainment, comfort and warmth. And we have needed that!

For you dog lovers: Gary Paulsen, an author of children's books, wrote a biography called "My LIfe in Dog Years". Though it is an upper elementary or middle school level book, it is one of my favorites. Paulsen ran the Iditerod and is a major dog lover. Each chapter is about a different dog and its impact on his life. A really funny and tender account of a man and his "best friends".

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement