LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I wish there was a legal way to trade meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I wish there was a legal way to trade meds
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a legal way to trade meds?

Wouldn't it be great if you could donate untouched unused meds and trade to get meds you need?

I'm a dreamer,

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be great!

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this has been brought up before ... NO legal way to do this. I feel that way too especially for the "free" clinic operated locally.
Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea, its too bad we cant do that.

I have quite a few unused samples of antidepressants the duck gave me.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In secret, if you dare take the chance of someone having a negative reaction. You would be liable.

You can take the label off the bottle, or send pills in a ziploc. I'm not advocating this, however!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one time, there was a doc in our area that accepted meds in original labels and somehow had them shipped overseas to third world countries. What a great idea.

I have so many, many bottles of stuff that I tried only 1 or 2 of. Last year I went through and threw most of them away, but need to do that again.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

fyi only, I've had some very expensive pills that I took 1 or 2 only of with BAD SIDE EFFECTS.

I took them back to the pharmacy. I "SHAKE" MINE OUT; I do NOT touch them, so they gladly accepted them and gave me money back.

They also checked with some companies to see IF they could be returned or not.

Bettyg

BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Who knows...

Maybe some people do?????????????????????????

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
too risky..........

I was hoping someone knew of a loophole.

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never traded prescriptions meds, although a friend once gave me leftover amoxy to get me through a sore throat befoe I had Lyme.

What I think would be a fun idea is to trade supplements. Especially if you have a Lyme Support Group that you go to. Get everyone to bring their unused supplements and trade away. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Cool idea Hiker!
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doctor recently mentioned to me that some clinics accept prescriptions. I don't know the legalities.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 14 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

somebody who pmed me before........

do it again!

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:
I took them back to the pharmacy. I "SHAKE" MINE OUT; I do NOT touch them, so they gladly accepted them and gave me money back.

[/QB]

YOu're kidding. Walgreen's told me that once I walked outside the store, I could not return the pills.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:
What I think would be a fun idea is to trade supplements. Especially if you have a Lyme Support Group that you go to. Get everyone to bring their unused supplements and trade away. Hiker [/QB]

Very good idea!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting semantics.
Trading, sharing "supplements" is allowed.
Only "prescription" med's are banned.
I have shared, but only if the other person can produce a valid prescription from their doctor. So, if I don't/can't use it anymore and they can......it has worked both ways for me. However, doing it online through mail is very risky. I would only consider doing it at a support group meeting where I knew the people involved. and not as a regular thing.

If I was unethical, I could pay the $500 a month for the ProVigil the insurance won't approve, and sell half of it to local college students. I am sure I could make enough to cover all my costs...except for the lawyer, losing my job and the humiliation of jail......

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you're creative you could make them available to a friend without having commited a crime, though the friend might have to perhaps technically commit a crime (like "stealing" meds you put on the table that you said you didn't know what to do with, and wished you could give them to someone).

Given the circumstances, though, this friend would actually have no chance of being arrested for such.) Even if there were a problem, given your descriptions of your experiences I think any court would excuse your friend for "stealing" the meds you will have told hmr you were never going to use!

And if hse were to do a similar thing for you, there would never be any real "trade" involved-- it's just that one good deed inspires another!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know of someone in "Doctors without Borders" or some such similar group, I understand that they can take them.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^up^

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about the Drs without borders address?

My daughter had a pen pal in Sri Lanka. I asked her if anyone could use some of the old meds. THis was after the sunami. She said that they were very lucky and ok and did not know of anyone with such a need.

So we still have a stock pile..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have unused "supplements"...I know of patients who could sure use them!

Please email me.

Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are also in need of extra IV supplies [Smile]
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reading about this topic yesterday.

Read on . . .

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/old_pills.html

Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

back to the top [Smile]
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had home health care, and was done with treatment, the nurses came back at my request to collect all of my extra supplies. They sent the RXs overseas, and the extra saline and IV supplies to folks in the area that couldn't afford treatment otherwise.

My current LLMD told me I could bring my unused supplies in and the same thing is done. I think a lot of our docs will take your unused RXs, you just had to ask.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This link will take you to the Doctors Without Borders contact page. There are more links there that'll allow you to email them regarding donations.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Once again, we are in serious need of unused or extra IV supplies and/or supplements!

Please email me at the address below- thanks!

Melanie

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiker-

what a fabulous idea to share/trade supplements! As someone else mentioned, through local support group would definitely be one way. And there are other ways too, to make a wider/larger sharing possible.

One would be through a dedicated web site called a wiki that could have a moderate-very high level of restriction placed on access. I would be happy to host a wiki on my computer to serve that purpose, or there are commercial services for about 100 dollars a month that would be secure enough to trust, or there are free wikis, but i wouldn't swear to their security.

Here's one way how it could work. There could be a separate page for each supplement. Anyone who has or wants a supplement could go that specific page and simply type in what they want or have, and contact info (email), and the exchange would be between any two persons who connected.

Folks here could pitch in to share the word- through a single group email to support leaders across the country, by posting on other boards, word of mouth, etc.

I'll be happy to set up a few sample exchange pages on a wiki server if y'all want to see how that might work.

In any case, wiki or no wiki, count me in on helping to share this idea,however it ends up being implemented. The need is so great, as is the idea.

Dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement