LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone have to pay for Medicare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have to pay for Medicare?
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I am so mad. I learned I would receive
Medicare in June but I didn't understand the A
and B parts. I just called Medicare and asked if
I had to pay for any of this. The only thing
I get after all this is hospital care for free.

I have to pay $88 per month for Medicare, and I
can't work!!

I am not sure what to do now because I have Blue
Cross Blue Shield POS, (we lost the PPO with
my husband losing his other job at Morgan Stanley). I have huge bills with IV treatment in
the hospital and presently I still have MassHealth,but I wonder what will happen when that
runs out, and I need extra insurance.

I should have asked if you can pick it up again
or if you have to do it at the effective date.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really poor (so poor I qualify for medicaid)

The state pays my medicare premiums.

If you get so much in social security and have so much assets you would not qualify for this and you would have to pay for medicare part B.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Di, Azure Wish is right. If your income and assets are low enough, then you qualify for Medicaid, and your Medicare premuims will be paid.

You don't have to get Medicare as soon as you qualify, but if you don't they fine you by increasing the amount you have to pay by 1% per month that you don't sign up. Unless you have a qualifying insurance through your work. I don't know if the BC you have now would qualify.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have medicare also..... I pay about the same as you per month and it urkes me.

I didnt have to pay until I got married and They made me use my husbands Blus cross as primary....

Guess that means we were way to "RICH" for me to recieve medicare!

Now my husband is in the process of starting his own business and I am in the same boat of not knowing whether to sign up for one of the new prescription drug plans and pay MORE per month or not.

We are thousands in debt from medical bills....

In my state our congresswoman has set up a help line to call to go over the different plans and see how they could help/effect you , which is best etc...

I would think they would have one in every state...

Or is that wishful thinking on my part???!!!

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, River and Azure for the replies.

Christine, I told my husband about Medicare and
how I have to pay because we have "too many assets." He said it may look like that, but we
don't.

We really struggled last summer and fall when he
lost his job and benefits at Morgan Stanley when
they downsized. We had to struggle just to eat
and feed our two kids, so yeah we have a ton of
assets now. I am thankful that my husband got
another job, albeit that he lost almost $20,000
in pay.

I hate being chronically ill, and I wish I could
work again. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somerset
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somerset     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dear ArtistDi", I just received notifcation that I will start my Medicare in June also. I called Medicare asking questions, they said I would have to talk with a Medicare Counselor 3 to 6 week waiting peroid before a counselor would call you. I needed answers sooner then that. I called my local "Council on Aging" asked if anyone could help me understand about Medicare/Prescription plans, the next day I was face to face taking to an experienced person about Medicare. THANK GOODNESS I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!Please try to find someone face to face to talk to , also when you do, ask about QMB & SLMB programs that will pay for your premium if you fall under a certain income, you won't have to pay.Most important there is a number of different Presription Plans and if you are on any Brand name scipts that don't have a genetic that can be VERY Expensive!!! Please don't wait ,talk to someone that knows and can help guide you ,each state has there own guide lines, I don't mean to sound pushy ,but time and decisions have to be made. "Good Luck", Robin
Posts: 139 | From Panama City, FL., USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i pay about 265 per quarter for medicare part a & b. i also have another insurance through work.

it's a lot of money, all right!@#@!# [Mad]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

I just got off the phone with the case worker at
the hospital and she suggested I call SHINE
(this is usually a service for elders and it can
explain the Medicare)

Toll Free Number: 1-800-498-4232

I think that number can refer you to a local office. This stuff is very confusing, but I
learned that my insurance (BC/BS has credible
coverage so I won't need Medicare part D now).

Have to find out about non-generic drugs. God,
how I hate navigating this. Can you work at
all with Medicare if you start to become well?

hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, you can get off of the disability payments and still get medicare. i am considered working disabled. if the government ever questions this label, i would have to prove that the only way i can work is by having the medicare assistance to pay for treatments i receive. this is true, so i won't have to worry.

i'll p.m. you with details, okay?
[hi]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement