LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Hot Hot Hot...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hot Hot Hot...
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I know this is way off topic...but I need some ideas, if you please.

We are experiencing a heat wave, and I have no AC. It is 101 in my apt right now.

I am concerned for my cat, BOB, with his fur coat!

Do any of you know of any methods for cooling kitties down that wont stress him more than he already is?

He is on a strict diet so- cant feed him anything odd.

My brain is fried, so any help with this would be so appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would kitty drink water with a little ice-lots and lots?

and maybe a shady shelter like a closet with the door open a bit?

how are you doing?!

Posts: 208 | From Santa Fe | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mel

I am concerned about you too and bob too. 101 inside-you must be ready to pass out, [Eek!]

can you get a AC window unit in for the heat waves so you can have one room in the house you two could have shelter from the heat?

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks you two. no, he wont eat or drink and is just laying on the kitchen floor.

i wrapped a bag of frozen spinach up in a towel and laid that beside him [Frown]

my plaxe does have AC but it is broken or something...need to call the landlord.

another thought just occured to me...what should I do with my meds?

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
I'm really sorry you're in the midst of this heatwave...especially wtih a broken air conditioner.

Any chance Bob could go stay with a friend or relative just until the landlord fixes or replaces the air conditioner?

As far as your medicine, if I were in your situation, I'd probably find a place for it all in your refrigerator.

Hope you get some relief very soon!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
My sister in law has rabbits...she freezes a milk carton of water to put in their cage when it's hot.

Although I doubt a cat would cozy up to a sweating block of ice.

Our cats lie on the cool concrete on the back porch.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey mel

good idea with the frozen peas.

RE meds tonight: I know this is a pickle . Not too hot & some can't go below a certain temp either.

If you had a cooler with just some ice in a ziplock this may keep them cool enough without going too cold or too hot. Then put the ziplock in a bowl to keep the water from leaking. Make sure to double bag your meds in a ziplock too to keep out the humity of the cooler. If you have a thermometer throw that in ther to.

Important for the two of you to drink extra water.

I know this would be hard for Bob. Cats aren't usually big drinkers.

Maybe you could put some mashed up liver or some wet with LOTS of water in it. Anything to get more fluids in him.

You may want to take a eye dropper and squirt some water down if you thinks he's not drinking enough.

Here's some tips from a former FL resident:

You could put some damp cloths in the frezzer and then when they are cool put them on. Kinda like from "some like it hot" [Big Grin]

For people cool baths help .And actually just wetting your hair can help too.

In FL I would wet my hand and then pet my kitty.. Then have a little fan blow in our direction. This cools bodys down faster.

drink drink drink lots of water & remember to replace your electrolites!

hang in there and hope you can get the AC up & running soon

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning,

Thank you so much for your help!

Goodness, I know that all of these little problems that I am going through may seem insignificant to many...but...
I am beginning to understand the story of Job more clearly recently. [Smile]

It finally began to cool off a bit around 3am (89 degrees)...so I just got up off the couch and started to work, but the many flies in here are attracted to any light...and even though I had all lights turned off due to not wanting to increase the heat...they were swarming around the glow from my computer screen...and me.

Bob is doing better now...he tried to sleep on a cold metal trunk next to the window. This morning he is eating, drinking and playing again! I am just trying to find a way to keep the flies off of his dishes.

All of my friends here already have animals, so since Bob is a major Alpha...staying with them would not work.

I constructed a cold place for my meds by using a double boiler set-up with frozen veggies in the bottom pot and the meds in the top one with a lid. I didn't think they could go in the refrigerator because the labels state to keep them between 55-75 on average.

This morning, I will try to locate my cooler to replace the pots.

I personally am hanging in there...it is too hot to eat or sleep, so I am trying to make use of my time on various projects. I already have a high temp though, so this heat is a bit more difficult to take.

On a positive note...
I would NEVER do a sauna...hate the heat...but have been forced into doing just that over the last few weeks with no AC here or at work. Perhaps the detox will help?!

I'm going to try another strategy for today...close down all shades and windows and hope to maintain this cooler temp. If that doesn't work, then I think it will be Motel 6 time! [Smile]

M

chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie,

I can sympathize with the heat issue as we have had major storms and were without power for 4 days last week. Of course, we had to put food in coolers and take them to family members with power and refrigerators. I had my acidolphilus iced down in ziploc bags!

My daughter has a chinchilla and apparently they are native to the Alps and the literature suggest a marble slab for the chilla to sit on. Sometimes when it gets really hot we put it in the frig for her and she loves it. Maybe Bob would like that.

[Wink]

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Melanie--

This heat is the pitts isn't it? Hot here too.
Some of my ideas were already suggested, but maybe I'll just repeat some of them?

Last time I lived without AC I would close all curtains, and window coverings of any kind, before it started getting warm in the morning.

I'd keep the house bottled up until about 1-2pm, or until the heat was meeting the outside temp.

Then we'd break out the fans, open all doors and windows and try to make a breeze.

Sometimes you can put block ice or just ice in front of the fans too.

Keep those fans running all night if you can to bring in the cool air...then bottle it all up again.

Stay cool please!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol in PA:
Melanie,
My sister in law has rabbits...she freezes a milk carton of water to put in their cage when it's hot.

That's what I was going to suggest. My niece has rabbits in South Texas....Hot, Hot, Hot!

and Meg has great suggestions!

Melanie...no screens either?? I feel for ya!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
melanie,
Tutu brought up my question. Do you have screens on windows? If yes I would get some fly spray and bomb the house when you go to work. (I use dairy barn spray)(pretty harmless if its labeled for milk areas.) Leave bob tied up outside on a leash(in shade and breezy spot). Or take him for a ride to local place for an hour while house all closed up and flies ae dying. If no screens,,,talk to landlord, either quick screes or a/ C fixed pronto. I would say a/c fixed anyway. Is your landlord a decent person?? He should understand,,,sweet talk him some,he will like it!!! You catch more flies with honey ya know!!! otherwise hang those fly strips all over,least if they are on there they arent on you,Bob, or your food.
Another note of interest,,,IF you can get even 1/2 to 1 pound of air pressure in your house the flies will be gone. They cant stand it. That means more intake and a BIG huge fan blowing in(tightly sealed) and not enough exhaust area to escape. So that when you hold the door a inch from closing it snaps shut itself(like a gust of wind hit it). That would help cooling and flies in one shot. . Now IF you can get a steady stream of cold water running across front of fan its like a swamp cooler. Even a coil of say copper line it runs thru.

Hope something I said makes a difference for your comfort. Are there public cooling centers there?? They are saying, on news, other places use public buildings. Take your laptop and try to work there. OR how about your swimming suit and cold water at home? Stand in your shower for a cold one(not ice cold) for 10 seconds every little while. Or an ice pack hat.

Sorry for your conditions,,,how long are they forcasting such hot weather? Is this VERY unusual for your area? How far are the mountains from you? Weekend camping??? with BOB??

Run out of thoughts for now,will return later with more useless suggestions!!because I am --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

You guys are so sweet!

I made my way to the local hardware store (really should NOT be driving), and now I have so many fly strips hanging from the ceiling...it feels like a party!
Although I haven't actually caught any yet...I think they are too hot to move right now.

Yes, I do have screens...but the flies got in the same way the ants did last week- through the tears in the screens. Yes, I do know how to re-screen...but just don't have the energy for that right now.

I'm think I am herxing something fierce- day 5 of Mepron. [Smile]

I did just run into my neighbors (on their way to the beach)...and apparently the AC doesn't work and never has...they have never had to use it before- so yes, this heat is very unusual. It does look like it may cool down by Wednesday- YIPPEE!

I drug up another fan from the garage, so after another cool shower...I think Bob and I are going to go lay down for a bit...

Once again...thank you so much.
M

northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie,
" through the tears in the screens. Yes, I do know how to re-screen...but just don't have the energy for that right now."

Why re-screen. Maybe:
Infamous duct tape?
Package strapping tape? (clear)
Scotch tape?
Or, kleenex if just a puncture?

Not too cool looking, but if the landlord protests, maybe he will fix the AC.

I cannot imagine how horrible 100 degrees would be in a room, and then, with effects of mepron....I hope the cold front arrives sooner for you.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie ~
In addition to keeping the windows closed and shades drawn if the house is cooler than outside...

Do you have a box fan? because this works like an attic fan...

When the temp outside drops cooler than inside, (when the sun goes down)... place one of your fans in the window (just shut it down on the fan). Try either having it blow out to draw air from the other windows or if it isn't powerful enough, just blow the cooler air in to the room you are in.

Note: when using the fan to draw it works best if the rest of the window is sealed so the only opening is where the fan is. Use plastic and/or duct tape around it.

Also smallish holes in screens can be painted over with nail polish. Clear would be good but different colors may liven them up a bite. [Wink]

I don't know if any of that helps but I hope you're cooler now. If all else fails there's always sitting in a cool tub.

I hope you're feeling better and cooler soon. If it's any consulation this should be peak herx day by my recent calculations. Motel 6 might be a good idea, for tonight, you sure could use some A/C for a night.

Sending cool thoughts...

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 other thoughts:

Steel wool is good for blocking up holes where things get in

and

Sleep with ice packs. (Even if it's just one in front of your face at least you breathe cool air.)

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

Don't really have any additional suggerstions.

Sharing in the misery. A/C froze up last night and I spent several hours mopping and reorganizing boxes in the storage closet. Naturally the bottom box was full of books and several were a total loss. Apartment maintenance will hopefully be here Monday.

Trying to keep cool.

Bea Seibert

P.S. Sent hubby to the library so he could stay cool.

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie, good luck trying to stay cool.

For the holes in the screen, you could try to put some tape over them..May look a bit tacky but might keep bugs out..

It has not been very cool here so can not send cooler weather that way..

If you have a close source of ice..buy a bag and put it in front of the fans..lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie,just go to Walmart they have real cheap airconditioners.

I got a small one for 89 bucks,it fits in a window and has all the necessary hardware.

Keep the meds in the fridge.

As for the CAT well i better not tell you what to do with that beast.

Me and ALF have a few recipes. He HE HE HE

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all those suggestions fail, my parents grew up in Phoenix without any kind of cooling. They slept in wet sheets at night...outside!

So, maybe a damp sheet with a fan on. And LOTSA water to drink.

Sorry you have to suffer like this. That lanlord should be ashamed.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please...

Get to a Motel ASAP! NOW!

Take Bob, your lap top, a bathing suit.. and your meds.

Herxing and dehydrating do NOT go together well. Danger, danger!

To be fair.. and NICE... I'll give you a choice this time. If you don't want to go to a motel..

How about the ER?

Start packing your stuff.

While you are laying there sprawled across the cool bed at the local motel... you don't have to call me and thank me.

I'll KNOW you appreciate it.. and KNOW you are safe!

Go, go, go! NOW! NO EXCUSES!

N-O-W!!!!!

Had I seen this earlier.. you'd have gotten a REAL chewing out young lady.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOW!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way.. if you cooked at your place...

You MIGHT get lucky!

The flies around here volunteered to get together to repair my screens when I started cooking!

[Big Grin]

Where are you pumpkin head?

[Razz]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

im here

made a reservetion and am trying to pack us up...but it is so hot 99...that i am moving slow

cant ecide if i should tuen the fans off

ok, goin now

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

i think my poor fish are boiling

do you think they can have ice?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine herxing in 100 degree heat......ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!

It's only around 90 today here today!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you're getting out of there, sorry I didn't chime in sooner... But here's what I did a couple of weeks ago with my mepron herx and horrible heat:

Pedialyte Pops... for me and my dog. I froze pedialyte (if you can stand the flavored stuff, good, if not, I used flavored electrolytes for an added boost in my pops) I had a vet some time ago reccomend pedialyte for pets who may have a tendency to become dehydrated, and it's never done anything to my puppy with her intensly sensetive tummy.

Sleep during the day, awake at night... This is hard for those with jobs, but switching my schedule 12hours, did a world of difference.

Hope you've cooled of a bit. I've freaked out when our AC goes out for a couple of hours, don't know what I'd do if I were you.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

ok. we are here at the motel, we are fine

Bob is snooping around and I am trying to get my temp down...99.8

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

how rude of me...what I meant to say was THANK YOU everyone!

I appreciate EACH of you so much!

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,Here BOB MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Hey !! Dont forget the Wallmart AC,you can go home!!!!!!

Even I could lift it,so i know you can set it in the window stretch out the little blindlike sides. and be cool at home!!!!!

And cats are real good on ice!!!!!

MADDOG

Lymetoo
Member # 743

MADDOG, You are SOOO bad!! [Roll Eyes]

Hey Mel...I would think the fish could tolerate a small ice cube. Depends on the fish and how large the bowl is.

So Glad you got into a motel. I know it's not something you were wanting to spend money on right now!

Hope you have a restful night. I know it's so hard to sleep when it's hot, so I know you haven't had much sleep for several days.

Are you going to work tomorrow? Take off if you can , Sweet Pea!! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

trueblue
Member # 7348

I'm so glad you're somewhere cooler, Melanie!
I don't know about you but I feel better now. [Smile]

Rest up have a nice cool shower and crank that A/C!

psssssst... might wanna keep Bob hidden from Maddog. [Wink]

--------------------
more light, more love

Tincup
Member # 5829

Well good for you!

Now I feel better.. hope you do too! I do hope that reservation is until Wednesday?? You can pretend it is a vaction that you deserve.. without ME there whining about the coffee pot dripping at 4 AM.

I like Maddogs idea about the Walmart AC. I got one for my dad several years ago. Seemed to work well and kept him cooled off.

Kelmo had a good idea too.. "If all those suggestions fail, my parents grew up in Phoenix without any kind of cooling. They slept in wet sheets at night...outside!"

Of course inside would be preferred in your case.. and wet or damp pj's might be ok for an ocassion.. but not regularly.

In Florida I didn't have AC. I'd wear very little.. then as the heat was bad come mid-day... I'd just drop my clothes to the floor... several times a day... and get a 4-5 minute quick shower to cool me off.

In the old days.. when my mommy was really little.. she was always getting in trouble on REALLY hot days in Florida.

My grandma said when she went missing.. they would find her sitting up on the edge of the toilet seat, with her feet dangling down in the water in the toilet bowl. When the water got warm.. she'd just flush and get more cool water to run across her feet.

Of course in Florida.. you can't always jump in the nearest creek or river .. due to a little problem with the alligators.

Now you are kinda big for sticking your feet in the toilet bowl.. but I thought it MIGHT make you giggle. It made ME giggle thinking of you trying to do it.

With those feet of yours (bigger than a five year olds feet).. no doubt they would get all tangled up trying to squeeze both of them at the same time into the toilet bowl! And with your luck.. your toes would... more likely than not.. get caught in the toilet bowl rim... and you'd be "stuck" there until house keeping found you the next day.

Ah, the stories you could tell.

Get some rest and know we all care.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone mentioned this. It's hot here too, (111 yesterday) so am too lazy to read all above:

Before we got window air conditioners, we went to the home improvement store (Home Depot) and purchased these little outdoor misters (garden dept.).

The tubes were skinny like aquarium tubing. And they had little mister spouts every so many inches.

We gently tacked them up around the edges of our place in front of windows and the sliding glass door.

You hooked it up to your hose, turned on the hose, and that's all it took.

Any breeze, or with use of any fan, and it brought in the misted cooled air into the house.

Not as great as having AC, but it sure made a difference.

Our fattest cat has taken up sleeping in the bathroom sink in efforts to cool off. She fills the sink, literally. Bascially, she is a furry bowling ball with legs.

Anyway, the other day while she was sleeping in the sink, I just turned on the cold water faucent to see what would happen. She was too lazy to move so she got a nice cool shower [Big Grin] And was quite frisky for several hours afterwards having had a cool down.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Today's question..

How cool are you?

Lettuce no!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning all you sweet things,

I wish I could report that all was well...not yet so...but I intend for that to happen any day now! [Smile]

I can't believe that I am back at the same Motel 6 that I first came to when trying to decide where to live almost a year ago now...

Wow, so much has happened since then.

Anyway, back to the present.

While it isn't very cool here in my little room- it is MUCH cooler than it was at home. I was just there to open the windows and get some clothes...and it was 89.

I am also taking care of my boss' cat while she is away on vacation...so was able to get over there this morning with out hurting myself or anyone else on the road. (my breaks are going out, I am getting lost constantly, stopping when I shouldnt going when I shouldnt and doing things with the gearshift that I shouldn't be while driving an automatic) [Smile]

I did put my fan in the window, and it was blowing cooler air in when I left, so hopefully things will stop melting at least for a few hours there.

Hey, we caught a grand total of 2 flies! I guess the other hundred are too hot to make their way all the way up toward the ceiling.

I also put in a call to work to let them know that I would be late today- I have to try and fix this mess somehow.

I think the window AC may be the best idea for now...so I am off to the Home Depot after I get another cool shower.

Sleep was elusive...Bob started meowing around 3am. Why? I have no clue. He is NOT the meowing sort and I could not comfomt him no matter what I tried.

Of course he is resting peacefully now. Poor darling.

OK...I had better get myself in gear here...check out time is fast approaching, and I have much to do today. And I need to get it done before the sweltering heat kicks back in.

Oh, heard on the news last night that there have been several deaths to people and animals reported in this area from the record breaking heat.

PLEASE, stay cool everyone!

Much love,
M

trueblue
Member # 7348

Be careful, Ms Melanie,
I'm glad you're slightly less fried.

Stay as cool as possible and if you could check back in in a while that would be good.

Any chance there's A/C at your bosses house and you could hang out there for a while when you go to feed the cat? (maybe a nice cool nap on the couch?) [Wink]

Sending you much love and cooling, healing thoughts... [Cool]

--------------------
more light, more love

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I just have to tell you one more thing before I go...ok two more things...

there is water dripping from my ceiling, down the walls and behing the tub wall in the bathroom here at my home away from home. Perhaps, THAT is what Bob was meowing about?

And the other thing...THANK you each so much for helping with your many great suggestions and concerns.

Yesterday, I was just too hot and sick to get myself and Bob here. I know I would have just given up becaause it seemed like an impossible challenge.

Thank you for pushing me to do the obvious when it didnt seem all that obvious to me at the time!

OK, NOW I have to run...

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabbytamer,
maybe she was 'waiting' for YOU to turn that cold water on???

Melanie,

I liked Maddogs idea,,,but with the heat wave I imagine 1,000's or maybe millions in your area had the 'same' idea, hence,,,sorry we are all sold out. It would be a cool idea that is real reuseable, year after year.

Here's my little tip of the day!!! I talked to a a/c repairman once who said a window air conditioner basicly lasts forever. IF you can find one that doesnt work,,,(read on,,,)99.5% of the time you can resurrect them from dead by taking out all the nuts and bolts, and screws from the case and denuding it down to the very basics. (NO dont discharge the freon, cant go THAT far)!!!
Then a water hose and clean out the radiator fins very, VERY well!! Try plugging it in without reclothing it!! IF it works again your home FREE!!! IF you can see one more speck of dirt or whatever doesnt belong in there clean somemore. might have to get a can of degreaser if tuff stuff in there. It HAS to be clean to work. IF its clean and it dont cool, just throw it away and find another to clean. Bad a/c window jobs are free for the taking so your money is still in your pocket. It wont be long, in fact I can almost guarentee the second one WILL work.

I still kick myself for borrowing my good little 110 a/c to my daughter to go to college. She said when they moved out they 'left' it because it didnt work very good. Course it didnt work, they ran it day and nite and NEVER cleaned it, probably never ever cleaned the filter.

Okay, this thought first came to me, Melanie,,,if you are still with us here. Do you have central a/c or a window model that is,might be, mounted in the wall permanently.??? If either one sometimes you can make work by a simple wash out. Trick is to get inside where it will do any good. If your landlord can be 'sweet' talked into doing this FOR you ,,It might be HIS gain also. A win.win. Repairmen dont have to be called to wash out a a/c IF you can get it unpluged,disconnected from juice. and disassembled enough to SEE the guts and radiator. Sure there could be a mechanical problem,,,but most of those are caused by dirty radiators too and resulting heat. I am JUST as guilty as anybody else here with not washing them out enough. bet nobody here has ever washed theres whether central or window or built in window. They collect alot of fuzz like weed seed, cottonwood seed cotton fuzz, and just plain old dirt!! careful NOT to bend the little fins over tho and IF they are bent over use a plastic comb and comb them straight so the air can blow thru using just one tooth, the end tooth.Careful here, they ARE soft!!! LIGHT TOUCH PLEASE--they say!!! About like aluminum tin foil.

Also IF you have a central unit and this being a rental unit,chances are 'somebody' before you was too cheap to buy air filters for the duct work/furnace filter.(dont ask me how I know) and the a-coil gets plugged. Take a flashlight and LOOK at it. Take the panel off the blower fan service area and see if you can look up enough. If not take those few screws out that hold it in behind where the big condensor lines hook to it. Removing this light tin wont hurt anything.(If removeable) Then blow out with compressed air after seeing how dirty. IF a flashlight doesnt shine thru well its real dirty!!Clean it, vaccum it, turn vacum around, blow it, vaccum again, try sucking from dirt side. YOU 'CAN' do it!!! If freon is necessary the service man will have to be called(long backup there where hot I imagine) BUT when it does come back on line you will be surprised by it working better than you can ever remmeber. IF it doesnt have a removable panel, have your service man MAKE one. He needs one too, afterall!(IF it was put in when new and NEVER serviced and cleaned it may NOT have a removable panel)!!! IF you have a clean inside and outside coil the repair bill will BE sifnificantly less.

Now for the kicker Melanie, I have a spare a/c laying around here, do you WANT it, can I ship it to YOU!!! It would take awhile and it is bulky, but a savior for "next" time. Storage room?? or couldnt you use it everyday??(if your landlord is a complete buck passer). NOTHING would make me happier than you staying cool,,,like you 'always' are!!! ONE COOL SWEET LADY!!!I remain--just don--with a few MORE useless suggestions.(for the buck impaired!!) Dont stick your fingers in the fan tho, NOT cool!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie--
Glad your getting at least temporarily cool [Smile]
the AC sounds like the best thing you could do to solve your problem.

But, about the flies [Frown]
I've found that most flying insects will gravitate toward light (sort of spiritual, isn't it? Go to the light! die, die)

If when you get back in your home, this evening maybe, turn off all lights and turn on a porch light outside. Leave the door open to the porch light and wait a bit. You may lose many of those flies, any mosquitos, moths, whatever.

Only other thing I could offer is to invest in a .99 cent fly swatter and have at it [Big Grin] VERY gratifying!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh poor Mel!! I am so sorry for all you are going thru - How are you feeling today?

Please check in and let us know if you got the window air conditioner and if you and Bob are cooler.

I wish I had more ideas but seems all the kind people here at lymenet have given you wonderful suggestions - just sending my thoughts and prayers that you are feeling better and getting some cool air.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

Glad you're sounding a bit more "with us" today.

About the flies . . . we don't have flies in our house 'cuz the dog catches and eats them. [dizzy]

Hope you weren't eating lunch.

But hey, it works. And I don't have to spend the effort of chasing them down.

Don't suppose that cat is trainable? [Wink]

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

the saga continues...

there are NO AC units or fans to be had anywhere around here. All stores are sold out and cannot predict when they might get new shipments.

I am back in my home away from home...and the water from above is still dripping, dripping, dripping. The carpet is soaked, and the management has NO idea what the problem is...

because the people above will not answer the door or the phone.

Soooo, we are moving to another room in another building.

I TRIED to stress the importance of them trying to find out what the problem was above...but they do not seem concerned at ALL!

You would have had to mention toilet water TC...
not so funny now, huh?

Or maybe I have just lost my sense of humor at the moment...hope it comes back soon, cause if I don't start laughing, I will surely start crying.

OK, plan B.

move to another room

call the landlord and insist that THEY fix the problem even though I dont know HOW
(and hope that I dont get evicted cause I havent mowed my grass in a month, and the new kitty litter that Bob had to have due to severe allergies has NO oder control and is surely stinking to high heaven with flies buzzing all around it by now)

and...call work to take the day off (and hope that I dont loose that job)

and...try to get a nap before my LLMD apt this afternoon. [Smile]

Sorry to sound like such a pessimist here...
I'm just sick and tired and herxing and in pain and a bit stressed...

and have no one else to complain to right now [Frown]

Please just bear with me, I promise things will get better soon...and then I can go back to NOT being such a pest, OK?

M

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wow, Tabby! That's an interesting idea about the misters!!

TC....That sounds EXACTLY like something YOU would have done as a kid! Like mother, like daughter!

Stay cool, Mel!!

and ... don't let MADDOG in, OK? [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

just don
Member # 1129

There is a motel in the world that DOESNT have a key to somebodies room and doesnt use it in an emergency situation like water running thru the floors??? Yikes,,glad I dont have stock or ownership of THAT place,,doomed for failure!!! How do they know somebody wasnt taking a bath or shower and passed out and blocked the drain therefore needing assistance??? Water running and NOBODY answering the door is a recipe for disaster,ME THINKS!!! Might even be the stool stuck and cost several hundred in water costs as a waste.

Melanie,,, if that is complaining,,??? I would hate to say NOT!!! You have to state the facts somehow,and your doing a right fine job, just keep on doin what your doin, Your just FINE!!! OOps, except for your herxs, hurts and heat,,, those all suck big time,,,hope all pass quickly!!!

Do you have a neighbor kid that could mow for you in a hurry,while your working in the cool of the morning?? Not a big yard right? And dump the old used kitty litter in the garbage,,cant you???Removes the source of the flies at least. Thats what they do with it here. Good luck, course you dont 'need' much.

--------------------
just don

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Melanie...I just got on and read your post...

You could NEVER be a pest,number one....and number two....Is there anything we can do to help???

I will PM ya...

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 8995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Camper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,

Boy, I have missed a lot. Not sure why you are back at the motel 6. Sounds like you have a different job.

And that I need to send the imaginary limo over to take you away from all of this and give you a break.

RE: heat. I have not been good at this myself due to low functioning..but...when you are higher functioning...

there is a cooling scarf you can purchase and put around your neck after soaking it in water. It does help to bring down the body temperature.

I also would put my bathing suit on and take a cold shower...then keep the wet suit on to help bring down the body temp.

...I use to freeeze grapes and eat them to help keep me cool. But, I think that is not a good thing when you have lyme disease...can't recall why I stopped doing that but know it had something to do with the lyme.

...I know there is also something you can put on your head to help you keep cool. I never did get one of those but did put a bag of ice on my head and then cover it up with a hat. That helped too.

I hope the getting lost while going to work stops soon. That is scary.

I recall doing that in the 90's. I didn't have a clue where I was at times. Then, it would come back to me and I would be able to finish getting to work. Luckily, I was in a rural area so it was not as bad as being in the big city. I could just pull over and wait it out at times.

Stress and heat make this worse for me. It sounds like you have that going big time too.

Please keep us informed as to how you are doing.

Concerned about you & Bob.

KAM

Posts: 89 | From AZ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a crossing guard in a very hot desert climate. In three weeks, I will be on my corner. To keep from passing out, I freeze one of those "coolnecks" that you can get at Walgreens. If you can cool the blood before it gets to your brain, it really helps.

I am so sorry that you are having that terrible heat at a time when all you want and need is comfort. My son just came back from CA and said they could only stand a couple of hours at Magic Mountain due to the heat. So, I know it's nothing to sneeze at...it's bad.

As for Motel 6...are they afraid of finding a body in that bathtub? Sheesh! Glad they moved you.

Hopefully, you will be finding cooler temperatures coming your way. We're so glad you kept communicating with us. We get worried.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Hey Mel

How ya doing. I heard on teh news 28 people died in CA from the heat. Gald you found some ac in motel 6

When you are up to it,keep in touch.

hope you are doing better [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for my cats I wet a washcloth with cold water and pet them with it...they like it. By the end of it they are nearly soaked but dont realize or mind, the petting is gentle...and I'll aim a fan at them afterwards.
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Plan B for sweet pea..

1. Plan to stay at the motel till the heat wave breaks. It should only be a day or two more. Call for fast food delivery while there- pizza.. chinese food... whatever. FORGET the diet. Eat, drink and be merry. You can pay back later.

2. FORGET finding a fan or AC now.. cause when the hot spell is over and you go home.. you won't need it cause the hot spell will be over.

3. Forget bugging your landlord now. You can do it later.

4. Now that your problems are solved... REST!

AFTER the herx.. THEN we can work on the other stuff.

That's an order missy!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey everyone,

I just feel so blessed to have you all here to turn to for help and advice and encouragement.

It has been a few very hard days...and I think I just about reached my breaking point late last night. OK, actually, I went beyond that point. But, am slowly pulling back out.

I just don't know how to thank each of you for taking the time to see me through this.
Every one of your ideas have been wonderful, and I so appreciate you.

It is just that at times like this; even the smallest challenge seems insurmountable. I know you have all been there, so I know you will forgive me for making this brief.

I really need to just sleep and detox now, and have finally gotten the meds that I know will help with that. My LLMD is wonderful, and is helping all he can to get me back to good.

But I wanted to let you know that I and Bob are ok.
So, please don't worry.

Much love,
Melanie

trueblue
Member # 7348

-

--------------------
more light, more love

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of you, Sweet Melanie, hoping you are feeling better and much much cooler now. [group hug]
Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

[kiss]
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 6 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My turn to be a pest! [Wink]

HOW ARE YOU, MELANIE?????

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good evening all,

We are still at our home away from home.
I think we will move out tomorrow...things are finally cooling down here, and running back and forth from here to work and to home has been difficult. I'm not trusting myself or my breaks on the freeway, and the back roads take too much time. Plus I tend to space out on the back roads and end up turned around and lost. [Smile]

The good news is I found an AC unit on line yesterday morning and am having it shipped to a store a couple of towns away...the closest I could get.

It was actually my doctor's nurse that made that suggestion on Monday, but when I went to do that, it took me awhile to find a place that wasn't already sold out. Anyway, it will take 7-10 days to arrive.

By Tuesday evening, I learned that someone else had ordered another AC unit for me too! We can't cancel either one of the orders, so now I will have two! Bless your heart, my dear friend!

In the meantime, my box fan in the window is doing a pretty fair job of blowing in the cooler air from outside and is keeping my place bearable. And we have now caught 5 flies!

Today, I was able to pick up some new kitty litter as well, so the odor is no longer making me nauseous...and I am sure that Big Bob is much happier as well.

Yes, this has been a very serious heat wave...it has broken records since the 15th, and now there have been at least 56 deaths associated to it, as well as many animal and cattle deaths. So, so sad.

I have been fortunate in that our electricity here hasn't gone down as it has all around us...thousands with no electricity at all.

I have also been fortunate in that my firm is allowing me to work away from the office, so when I can, I am able to do a bit of work from my laptop, sleep a bit, and work a bit.

Yes, my new sleep meds are working! This is a cocktail that has worked for me in the past when I had severe insomnia for several years...so, I knew it would work again. They are pretty strong, so I have been semi-lucid most of the day...but am beginning to feel more like me now.

The extreme herx is at last subsiding...my fever has broken, my pain has decreased some, and the Gatorade, Pediolyte, and slow-mag that I have been taking are helping with the foot and calf curling and cramping. My doc thinks that I was just overly toxic and not eliminating anything...thus the edema, swollen glands, lymph pain in my sides and front, adrenal issues, etc.

So, he took me completely off of Ketek, and had me stop the other stuff until we could get the herxing back under control. He has also recommended a few new supplements to help, so everything has been ordered and is on the way. Except for the mag, which I still haven't figured out, but need to call his office about.

He feels that my kidneys were affected by the meds, specifically the Ketek, so also wants me to try kidney acupuncture. I don't like needles, so am reserving that one until I think I really need it.

Sooo, overall things are looking up-way up! And I am ready to join back in with the land of the living.

Words are so inadequate when you really want to express such sincere gratitude to those who have carried you through a crisis. And I am so overwhelmed with all of your expressions of love and concern...your wonderful ideas and insights...your cards, emails and phone calls...they mean the world to me.

It is a confusing and frightening road to travel down alone...even when you have been there before.

Just know that each one of you is so very much appreciated and loved. I thank you, and Bob thanks you too! [Smile]

All my best,
Melanie

Happy Camper
Member # 8995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happy Camper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Sounds good Melanie. You had so many things attacking you at once. Sheesh.

Glad you asked for help and it all worked out.

Posts: 89 | From AZ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Mel!! I just saw this posting. I really hope you get some relief very soon! How is kitty holding up?

It stinks to be sick and really hot too. We finally put AC in our house last year after having temps around 100 degrees for a month--it was awful!!!

Bless you and Kitty and I hope everything turns around again for you very, very soon.

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
You seem to be getting your health under control.
But....I'm very concerned about your auto's brakes.
I hope you can schedule a brake job soon. It's sure to be less expensive than having an accident.

Take care,
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Melanie,

I am so happy that things are starting to turn around, but i agree about your car's brakes - that worries me too. Please be careful - I do hope you can get them fixed soon.

Much good thoughts and prayers going out to you, my dear friend.

NE

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like good news, Melanie!

Keep cool, keep those fluids flowing and sweet dreams only!

Bob, the kitty,fresh litter is the best! [Wink]

mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only quickly scanned the ideas,

I cool bath is delightful! Just make it whatever temp feels good!

I also take my neighbors with pools "gifts"(zuchinni, tomotoes) frequently in the summer. They always invite me for a swim.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Good morning all,

We are doing just great! Bob is scampering around and showing off his jumping skills, and I am feeling rested!

It is a cool 70 degrees in here now without the fans blowing...and that temp I can handle nicely.

First time I actually slept IN my bed in months. And sleep, I did...these new meds are great.

My temp is still running high- 99.5, but it does come and go, last night it was 96.5...so, who knows? It seems to be just like every other symptom, fluctuating constantly.

The one thing that hasn't changed are the back, side and front pains. I do hope that the new supplements once they arrive will help with this.

Oh, and you were correct, fly swatting IS cathartic!

Bob's new crystal litter is working out fine, no odor at all- YIPPEE for everyone there. He is eating and drinking again too, so I know here is happy once more.

I have held off on all meds for a few days, but am going to resume today...onward and upward! [Smile]

Yes, the breaks are a problem...I will try to find time to schedule that in this weekend. Thanks so much for your concern.

Aw, Mlken, I think I would take the zucchini and tomatoes over the pool any day! Lucky you and even luckier neighbors!

Please forgive me for not addressing each one of you individually...just know that every post was read and so appreciated!

Much love,
Melanie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement