LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » New to lyme disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to lyme disease
KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this site. I am trying to figure out how to use it. Have patience please. I was just wondering if anyone was misdiagnosed? I was told I had fibromyalgia 13 years ago. I dealt with it. I would have months that I felt good with no symptoms, then others where I was on the couch. In the last three years I have gotten progressively worse. My mind is totally gone. Simple tasks are unbearable. I sometimes cannot remember where I am going, my words get fumbled, etc. I went to my primary doc 3 years ago and found out I had mono. Now I have the epstein bar virus that becomes active. Then after many visits to her, she came up with lyme disease based on my symptoms. My lyme test was negative but certain bands showed up. I'm not sure I quite understand it all. I am currently seeing a lyme doctor that does not take health insurance. I am on so many medications my mind is spinning. So my questions is: What do I really have? Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, epstein bar virus or lyme disease? All the symptoms seem the same. I have gotten progressively worse over the past 3 years. For the last year, I have been in constant pain, fatique, memory loss, joint pain, muscle aches, stomach issues, urinary problems (the list goes on). I have 3 children to take care of. My middle son has down syndrome. I need my life back. I can't even take care of myself, let alone my children. My husband has finally accepted my illness. It took a long time. When he came with me to the lyme doc, I know he finally understood. I don't think anyone can understand how we feel unless you experience it firsthand. I cannot make plans with friends. I take it day by day. If I'm having a good day, then maybe I can meet a friend for lunch. They just don't understand what I'm going thru. Anyone who has any thoughts?
Posts: 151 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen,

Welcome to the board. First, some housekeeping. When you post, please post in short paragraphs with a space between each paragraph.

Many people with Lyme have cognitive problems making it difficult to read large blocks of text.

Yes, many people with Lyme have been misdiagnosed with other disorders. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia before Lyme.

It seems in many people that Lyme may actually be the trigger of CFS and Fibromyalgia. Those are both syndromes, so there is no known cause. A lot of people with CFS and Fibro later get diagnosed with Lyme.

Many people with Lyme also find they have multiple infections. Some are coinfections that are also carried by ticks. Others are more common infections, like Epstein Barr.

What seems to happen is that Lyme stresses the immune system so much, that more common infections cause much larger problems. In your case, maybe the Mono combined with Lyme was too much on your system. That could be why things have gotten worse since then.

Feel free to ask questions and read and learn from the board. There is a lot of information here. Somebody will be along shortly to give you the newbie links, which is a great place to start reading.

-Aniek

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Aniek pretty well covered everything.

I, too, was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia 25 yrs ago. I found out it was Lyme 6 yrs ago. I trace my Lyme back to childhood.

I hope you have found a good LLMD and you will now be on your way to recovery!!

What antibiotics are you on??

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for responding so fast

I am currently on Biaxin, Malarone, Fluconazole, and hydroxychloroquine.

The lyme doc thinks I have the co-infection Babesios (not sure of the spelling)

I have a hot tub and just started using it again.

It seems my symptons have gotten worse.

The fatigue is unbearable.

I know from visiting this site that I have a long road ahead of me.

I read the stories and my heart goes out to everyone.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy. It stinks!!

Posts: 151 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi karen

welcome to lymenet!

The combo you are on can be rough. The die off from the herx can be really hard and most feel worse before they get better.

Here's a link on herxing:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000638.html

I was also mis-diagnosised with CFIDS & Fribro along the way. I got better many times on abx's and if I had CFIDS or fibro I probably would not have gotton better or herxed so badly on the abx's and other treatments.

Been a long time in treatent now and am much better.

Lyme-It does really stink. I also don't think many people can no fully understand having lyme untill you have it. Thats why the folks here are so important to me.

There's alot of great info in the "newbie Links" posted in medical:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

Re-about the co-infections you mentioned-A tick carry's many other diseases besides lyme. When it bites you it can transmitt these & they are called co-infection:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021366.html

hang in there [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Karen, in another post, I gave you the name of a LLMD in your area, and asked you to respond IF I didn't sent you my 19 pages of newbie links/advise.

Yep, misdx for 34 years until 6-04; many dx from the beginning: mono, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel & bladder, TMJ, GERD, hiatal hernia, migraines, etc.

Part of my story is in my links so I won't repeat here. GLAD you found us Karen; you will learn a lot and get SUPPORT which we all desparately need to get thru our lyme journeys. Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Thank you to all who are responding.

Just to know that I can vent to others who are going thru this same miserable disease.

I to have many symptoms: stomach issues, urinary problems, cognitive issues, depression, anxiety.

One thing I did notice is after going in the hot tub symptoms got worse.

I got to thinking about what my LLMD talked about, lyme does not like heat.

Maybe that is a good thing I got so sick.

I am seeing him this Wed coming and I have a lot to talk about

There is so much that is said to me, it's hard for my brain to process it all.

I am so glad to have found you all. Your support means the world to me

THANK YOU

P.S. I haven't figured out how to use all the icons, I'm sure I will soon

Love and THANKS

karenb

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with your appointment wednesday karen.

Re: the hot tub. Too extreame heat can make me like a limp rag & has in the past set me back. I used to drink alot of fluids before & drink an electro-lite formula too. But still, if the water was too hot can really drain me & lay me low. Not such a good thing really.

I now only can do mild heat...not so hot I want to pass out- which if it is you have to be careful you don't.

So be careful Okay?

Hope you can find your way back to feeling better
it may take time & patience and inner strength.

Hang in there [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement