LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » The Taste of Kefir

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Taste of Kefir
Takedownthemoon
Member # 9008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Takedownthemoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the people that are a keferin',what do you think of the taste? Or a better question may be, what is it supposed to taste like? Just slighty rancid or very?

Maybe I made it wrong.. Should the end product be complete liquid? I feel like I am on Fear Factor just trying to get myself to try it, and the taste is rancid and spoiled. It's absolutely foul! It "incubated" for 3 days as opposed to 2, could that be it?
I have been looking forward to enjoying the benefits of kefir but I don't think I can get past the taste!

Posts: 89 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 13 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some say it has a tangie taste similar to yogurt. But I never got past the smell or the tase either.

The more I used my grains the thicker it became. But still the smell & taste freaked me out to... Like rancid milk.

I hope some of the kerfir experts will come along & give you some feedback as how to get past that.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda liked it, but I cheated and added Sweet N Low to it!! YOu can also add Stevia.

Also add a few blueberries!

Maybe you let it sit too long. My recipe called for leaving it unrefrigerated for only 24 hrs.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am a kefir newbie--i didnt like store bougt kefir, but I am enjoying most of the kefir i have made so far....one time it was too done.

24 hours only. if you go more than that, then the whole thing should go in the fridge.

Sounds to me like you are letting it ferment too long.

It does take getting used to, but I drink mine plain and straight. I also dont drink it with food. it has to be all by itself.

There are many people here (where i live)who drink kefir daily---they are assyrians from iraq and iran. i just try to pretend that I am in a foreign land and this is a miracle cure and it goes down smooth. Also since I helped make it I have a sense of pride that tastes good too. that is another spin on swallowing your pride!

hahaha

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Moon!

Are you using REAL grains, or store-bought stuff?

24 hours would be as long as real grains should be left out, give or take a few hours.

If store-bought, I'd toss it.

The smell should never be rancid! Something is amiss!

It WILL have a definite "yeasty" smell, like the pungent aroma of dough rising for bread-making. With a tang.

As Trails advises, if you're too busy to strain yours off after 24 hours, just pop the whole thing into the fridge and deal with it tomorrow. It will just be a teensy bit thicker - more yogurty -- actually I like it better that way.

If you have real grains, I'd advise rinsing them well in PURE water (no chlorine), then restarting them with some good milk, and putting them through several changes of milk (at 24 hours each). If your grains are still viable, they should be fine.

The taste is yummy but does require some getting used to. However, there is NEVER any suggestion of rancid - more a hint of 'buttermilk' or tartness but never 'spoiled,' to many people's surprise.

[Smile]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Store bought Kefir contains WAY too much sugar. I would think it's counterproductive for us Lymies.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement