LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Bart or Parasites? UPDATE: It's Toxoplasmosis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bart or Parasites? UPDATE: It's Toxoplasmosis
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've got Bartonella or parasites.

I got a call from my LLMD's office today. She wants me to come in because of lab results. I just got a Bart PCR from Igenex and did a parasite test to a special lab. So I'm assuming it's one of those.

I can't make it in until next Friday. I wouldn't be able to start any meds before that anyway, since I have 2 25 page papers due next week. [dizzy] I can't take the chance of new drug reactions until I'm done with them.

So, anybody want to take bets on what I've got? I have been having gastro issues for a year, with lots of nausea. But I had my best improvement on Levaquin, which I think treats Bart.

And if I do have Bart, should I get my cats tested? They are indoor cats, but they could have been exposed when they were kittens, 8 years ago.

[ 01. December 2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Aniek ]

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bet is on Bart as it is common with lyme

Parasite are also common but testing is poor.
If it is a parasite then my money is on Giardia.

Sorry that you have to go through this while writing end of the term papers.

My hopes are that this will bring you one big step closer to being well.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that it is whichever is easiest to treat!

Good luck with your papers, I know what that is like! I try to schedule any shifts or changes in treatment by my work schedule...

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My money is on Bartonella too. It sounds like it.

Sister had Giardia and was violently ill. Don't
know a whole bunch about it but from what I
remember most people are violently ill....?

Mary

Posts: 267 | From Abbotsford BC | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vermont_Lymie:
I hope that it is whichever is easiest to treat!

OK, so what do I win if I'm right?? [Big Grin] I vote for bart, but I'm sure the parasites would be much easier to get rid of....so I'll pray for that one!! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a parasite test my LLMD just started using. They test for antibodies rather than the parasite themselves. I don't remember the lab, but I had to send stool and saliva samples.

If you win, you get to give me treatment advice [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would not surprise me if you have both. If you have bart messing with your gi track it then leaves a great terain for the parasites to run. I have both bart and giardia along with some other parasites.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would not surprise me if you have both. If you have bart messing with your gi track it then leaves a great terain for the parasites to run. I have both bart and giardia along with some other parasites.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Got my results. It's Toxoplasmosis. It was a saliva test, for the IgA antibody.

The NP said you can't be sure if it's a current or past infection with IgA, but they want to treat me. I can't use the usual treatment, because my LLMD suspects I can't tolerate Sulfa. So they are starting me on clindamycin.

From the quick research, it appears I still need another drug with it (pyrimethamine?) to work. I'll ask when I'm back in 3 weeks. My system probably couldn't handle 2 hard drugs added at once anyway.

--------------------

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey- you're not alone- my daughter just tested positive for Toxoplasmosis, which reminds me I need to have the lab work faxed to her LLMD.
Carol B

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Of course, it could be from that overly rare hamburger I ate 4 days before the test. I would have sent it back, but it tasted sooooo good. [lick]

I've had cats my whole life. And my mom used to feed me raw meat when she made hamburgers. So it's really possible I have had a latant infection my whole life. My cats now are indoor, so it's unlikely it's from their litter.

--------------------

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had toxo and a month of Biltricide seemed to take it out. Do think it is gone, but I am due to be tested again. To make sure.

A vet examined my poop and found it. Also had tapeworm. Took results to my doc and she treated without question. She hooked up with the vet and learned to examine samples herself and now does this on patients who have chronic illnesses. She said she has been extremely surprised with what she is seeing. Like the vet, she thinks parasites are a big problem in humans, especially those with chronic illnesses. Even thinks with some people, the parasites are the CAUSE of the chronic illness.

Why exactly has the medical community at large ignored this concept? It stands to reason that parasites can and do cause illness in humans. So why is this ignored? Money? Probably. The drug companies want illnesses to treat and would rather develop a drug to treat a symptom than try to discover the reason for the symptom.

The vet wants to research this concept. Hope he will uncover some good info. He says there are very few samples he has reviewed that do not have parasites.

Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Connie,

One of the big problems is the testing. My LLMD said the tests need to be done within hours of the sample, but that just doesn't happen with the system of our labs.

My diagnosis was made through an antibody test of saliva. Through quest it was negative. I've also had tests done through Geneva (formerly Great Smokies) and I'm assuming they tested for parasites, but didn't find. But it's mailed to them, so who knows what's alive when they get it.

--------------------

johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

I also had toxo - I get a lot of energenic testing stuff done and my LLMD gave me a couple of meds to test out to see which would be the best to nail the toxo. Alinia and malarone were the too that tested out highest to nail it - I used the alinia due that I also had some giardia gong on. The alinia worked and it did not take that long and was not that hard to handles.
ma
Member # 10055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading somewhere that mepron is used to treat toxoplasmosis also. Does anyone know if that's so?
Posts: 70 | From Central NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also wondering if mepron worked.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

One would think that mepron would also work, I did a lot of reading on toxo and pneumosysis and found mepron can be used. But why would you want to get hammered on mepron when malarone could also do the job.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement