LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Anyone working full-time?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone working full-time?
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chicago_bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting ready to start a full-time job again, after working part-time for the past year and a half.

I am doing better than I used to be, but I'm so nervous about committing to a full-time schedule!

I will still be visiting the LLMD, trying new treatments, and living with brain fog...

Is anyone else out there working full-time? Any words of encouragement?

thanks!!!!

[Frown]

chicago bird

Posts: 69 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!! bringing this up for the workers!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just want to add my congratulations, bird! I know there are people on this board who are working; right now, I'm still in a consultant capacity, though there are weeks when I've put in full-time hours on-site.

When those times come, I have to remember to dial everything down a little. I make sure I get so bed early and get enough sleep, and I'm also really organized about my meds. I found these little plastic bags at the vitamin shoppe that hold my segmented meds, and then I put them all in a bit larger plastic bag and take them to work.

In a way, working is a great distraction. I found myself not really thinking too much about being sick and feeling lousy.

As far as the brain fog, I've tried to make a joke out of it to clearly puzzled colleagues. I have a Palm that's been invaluable, and I've just gotten a little digital voice recorder for meetings. With my writing, I'm always sure I have someone to proof whatever I write before I submit it. There are almost always bizarre -- brain-slip-errors.

Anyway, I think it's great. It also, I suspect, means that your medical insurance is covered. What a relief that must be!

Congratulations again!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chicago,

I work full time and go to law school part-time. So it is doable.

The best thing to remember is that sometimes your body needs a break. So take a day off when you need to. Take a breath before you let work stress you.

Good luck!

-Aniek

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chicago!

I am! I am! I've been working full time for over 3 months and going to curves 3x per wk.

At first working was all I could do. As you get better you start to do more things in your life.

Like go to a bridal shower or wedding. Or doing the stupid laundry and ironing clothes to wear to work.

Good luck! You can do it. Go to bed early every nite.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep,

I work full time, commute 200mi/day to NY and go to school part time. Been putting in 70-80hrs week between these for the last 4yrs.

Looking back, at my absolute worst, I could only work full time and sleep more than full time. That was my life for the first 5 yrs.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work full time now. Was out on STD twice in the past two years and worked part time for a while.

It is hard for me right now, partly b/c I am in between treatment and have had set backs.

You will get used to it again though.

Be sure to go to bed early enough, since you won't be able to get naps in during the day!

Try to be sure all your stuff for work is ready the night before.

Always keep extra meds in your bag (if you use them) so they are there when needed.

I leave notes taped to my door (the night before) so I don't leave with out my lunch (or anything else I may need to bring to work that day)

And, don't be hard on yourself if you totally crash over the weekend!

Good Luck and Congrats on being able to return FT! [Big Grin]

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 10 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do but when I get home I sleep. I'm a teacher and my hours seem to be when I'm feeling the best. I work from 7:30-2:30 and then at 3:00 its nap time. I think it varies from person to person. My son had to drop from school and do it at home for over a year now and I can keep going. I hope this pattern continues I have great health insurance.

Good Luck

Amy

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryll
Member # 10063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been back to work for three weeks now. It is hard. Especially when I can't go home right at the end of the day. Staying for meetings that have nothing to do with me drives me nuts when I need to go home and rest.

I did find that I had more energy when I started to take antioxidants to clear out the Bb corpses and left over antibiotics.

Posts: 48 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have worked full time throughout, however, i didn't have much of a life AFTER work since i needed to rest. still need more rest than i would like. cleaning and cooking are both optional imo. rest is not!!

good luck!!!

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went back to work full time as a drug & alcohol counselor with the severely mentally ill (severe schizophrenics, bipolar people) for a year and it was GREAT!!! I was so scared it would wear me out and I would relapse but I was fine!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. Then I had another baby and have been home with the kids again & BOY OH BOY is that harder!! It sure is!!!!!!!! From one thing to another all day long~!~

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The priorotizing is SO important too (as others mentioned). I miss out on lots of events and lunches (even our holiday party).

But, it is for now.

And I don't always get the dishes or laundry done right away. AND THAT IS OKAY

I remember before I started treatment, I would look at a sink of dishes and cry my eyes out.

I wondered how I was ever going to work or care for a child if I couldn't do the dishes.

Slowly, I improved. Dishes were not an issue any more.

Since then I went back to work and had to take it a day at a time. Listen to my body.

Sometimes when I would be pushing my self, I would say "Self, you HAVE to rest before you crash".

I am struggling a little more now because I needed to stop treatment for a while.

But I KNOW the other side and you can do it, just need to do it smart!

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work full time. Its hard, I take care of other sick people.

And sometimes I think Im sicker than the person Im taking care of.

But other times its these very people that inspire me to keep going.

Good luck!!

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicago, I've technically worked full time throughout. However, I'm a university professor and there is flexibility in a lot of my schedule and I get long breaks. It might be hard to put in 40 a week 52 weeks er year.
The good news is that I continue to improve and have taken steps to begin outside consultation.

Concerned Mom, how is your son doing? Last I read you were thinking about a change of direction in his treatment.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki in Oregon
Member # 10718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki in Oregon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I work full time, and then some. It takes excellent nutritional support, and you can't stop, just cause your feeling good. Get your rest and time off. GABA is a wonderful thing. Best of luck.

Posts: 3 | From Keizer, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way.

It would be impossible for me.

And besides, it would be against doctor's orders: A body with chronic infection requires rest.

But I don't need his order. I could never handle working full time and do not think I will ever be able to work full time again. Because we never really know if the spirochete is eradicated or just under control, stress could activate the disease again and I don't want to take that chance.

I will never have my old life back, but I am beginning to enjoy and accept the new life I have.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chicago_bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say THANK YOU! to everyone, for all these thoughtful and wonderful responses. I got overwhelmed and lost the thread here, so I am just finishing reading all of these now.

I have been at my new job three weeks now! It is hard, but I think it is good for me. I told myself I will just do it as long as I can handle it.

Thanks for the tips about sleeping and how to organize things. I've been going to bed early, and it's a HUGE lifestyle improvement.

GABA is the one thing I haven't tried yet for sleeping. Dr. C. recommended it too, so I will have to try it.

Vitamin bags! Great idea. I am having a hard time remembering to take all my pills and supplements.

I'm glad to hear there are so many of you who are physically able to work outside of the home. We are lucky...

Thanks for sharing your stories. It sure makes me feel better!

[spinning smile]

What would I do without LymeNet??? I'm going to print this out, so I can read all your advice again.

Thanks, guys!!!
Chicago bird

Posts: 69 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chicago_bird,

I have a fun weekend planned and then Sunday night I'll hit the computer and fine tune my own resume.

I work part time at the moment, but I am ready to try again a fulltime position.

Andie I'm happy things are going good for you and I really do hope to be joining you and chicago_bird soon and the other lymies that work full time.

Good luck,
Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Oh my gosh, that Super Squirrel photo is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!

Good luck, Magic Acorn!

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chicago_bird,

That little guy reminds me of the heroes we all are within and that we should never give up. He is cute too!

Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicago,

The answer to this question has changed for me since it was postecd in November. Now, I've gone from consulting to full-=time work for the same company.

It's still my first week, so I can't gauge how it's going to be yet. But I do know I'm grateful for the chance AND for the benefits.

Good luck with your new job!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Icon 7 posted      Profile for chicago_bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray to everyone who is able to get out of bed in the morning and walk across the room -- because it is a triumph!

Whether you're working full-time or part-time, or just working to get well, it's a struggle and we all deserve to be applauded.

Keep up the good fight, everyone!

And thanks for your kind words and advice...

Acorn, I hope you find a good job!

Andie, way to go!

ALL of you inspire me!!!

[woohoo]

all the best,
bird

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

chicao_bird said:
Acorn, I hope you find a good job!

So do I! Thanks for the well wishes!

--------------------
 -

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Best wishes for that Acorn*)!*)!!

(Whenever my 9 year old - in remission with Lyme & Babs- is around and sees me on LymeNet she goes, "Show me the squirrel, Mama, show me the squirrel!!!" She makes me look up a posting of yours- then goes into a frenzy of 9 year old ooohing and aaaahing over it, "Oh it's sooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that squirrel Mama*)!*! I LOVE that squirrel!" over & over-)

--------------------
-John Ruskin

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

CaliforniaLyme - That made my day!

--------------------
 -

Andie333
Member # 7370

I'd hire that squirrel anytime!

[Smile]

Andie

smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

I worked part-time for a year in half-and tooks some break in between, and just started working full time January 2nd.

If I didn't have to work full-time I wouldn't, but I don't really have a choice anymore.

I think it's different for everyone, just as lyme effects everyone a little different, so I wish nthing but the best of luck!

For me, everyday it's a struggle. I really thought that I could do it and be fine, but this is so much more than I ever thought it would be.

I am doing IV therapy and new therapies and working and trying to "be normal" have a social life etc.

It's not really working out too great for me-I usually I am so exhuasted by the time I get home that I eat and go to bed. I don't go out on the weekends because I am trying to recover from the week.

It's been very emotionally hard on me, because I have so many friends and I feel like I am letting them all down by not being able to go out with them.

I try and push myself when I shouldn't and then I end up even worse off. I never imagined it would be this hard. I truely believed that I could do this and I was strong enough, but I regret to say that if I could quit tomorrow I would.

Good luck!

Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Yikes Lindsay!!! I am sorry.
I hope you get to where it is not a struggle.
Years and years ago I worked at this place that felt like a "daily grind" to get through and it was just terrible. The pressure of feeling that.
That must be hard on you physically stresswise and you don't need that!!!! I will cross my fingers you find a job you like better!!!!!!!!!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement