LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » How to get kids to take their medicine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get kids to take their medicine?
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 5 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think they'd realize that they won't get any better if they won't take their medicine or supplements.

Dd is on so many things it's a wonder she's ever hungry.

She is so afraid of getting constipated again she won't take her pain medicine either. It's sad!

Part of me just gets mad, part of me wants to just say "Forget it, it's not worth fighting about."

But really, I just want my children to be healthy again...without me nagging them all the time about their medicine.

I don't need to dole out their medicine as if they were little children, but it seems I must if I want to know they've taken it, and taken it in the prescribed time frame.

Frustrated,
Nancy

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 3 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Frustrated Mom,

I watched the same struggle getting my grandson to take his meds. He flat out refused. They told him he would not get well....all the things you have probably said as well.

Then they found the magic key....no tv until the medicine was gone. It worked!

It is a battle. Maybe you could come up with something similar?

Good luck.
nan

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have DEFINITELY been looking at the computer too long!

I thought this said "How TICKS get their medicine"

Silly me... [loco]

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think is some ways they associate medicine with being sick. And being sick makes them feel bad, so those bad feelings get mixed with taking the meds.

And, as some of us know, taking meds sometimes makes us feel worse at first, not better. A child thinks "why take it if it makes me feel worse."

They can only think in the short term, the "now" not in the future like an adult can.

If it has anything to do with taste (like a liquid), have them hold their nose. And then swallow some juice before unblocking their nose.

I still do that!

I, as an adult, still have to force myself to take my meds. Sometimes I even cry about it. I have "rebelled" and skipped doses. ("I'm a wild one!") [Wink]

Like with so many other things with children, just keep trying until you find what works!

Maybe if they know or can talk to other children who have to take meds a lot, it could help them, like talking to each other helps us.

[If all else fails, you can do what cave76 did and threaten to stuff cotton balls up their noses! [lol] hahaha, just kidding! Don't do that, it just made me laugh!]

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nan:

Then they found the magic key....no tv until the medicine was gone. It worked!

Loss of privileges WORKS!

Cave, I just imagine you being so sneaky!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LIE!

My not so tall boy doesn't like Chlorella.

I told him that Chlorella Growth Factor will make
him grow taller.

lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions. I had a good laugh about the cotton rolls.

It's no wonder my dd doesn't want to take anything...she has a big purse full of medicine...takes 2 big handfulls of stuff a day. She's dropped all the stuff she doesn't absolutely need, but it's still a bunch.

Seems things have calmed down here & they're taking their medicine. I told my ds he didn't want to have to take handfulls of medicine like his sister, he better be thankful he's just on one thing.

Nancy

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryll
Member # 10063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness,

I can identify with what you said about fighting yourself to take the medicines.

When I was on IV abx, the feeling of dread would come over me when it was coming close to the time I would do my infusion. And that never directly made me feel bad. I just knew it was stuff that would cause some bad effects at some time. (herx, yeast infections, liver, etc.) Then I would give a big sigh and do it.

The bigger fights were getting myself to take the flagyl, because that had a more direct effect on me. (Feeling of overwhelming stress and impending doom.)

Now, I struggle with taking the amoxycillin four times a day.

If I, in my 50s and supposedly mature, fight it, it's got to be much harder for children.

Posts: 48 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ma
Member # 10055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find good old fashion guilt works pretty good with my son.

I do the big drama thing with my hands on my chest, lol. I tell him "your braking my heart! you gotta take these pills, do you want to brake your mothers heart?" [rant]

I sigh, and act like my heart is braking.

Works every time. [Big Grin]

~Ma

Posts: 70 | From Central NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some practicals we use here:

-experiment with different forms of what
they need to take. Some abx can come in
liquid or capsule.

-get pharmacy to try adding flavoring.
Our pharmicist, who is a saint, had
me bring my 13yr old to try different
flavors added into his Mepron. He chose
Tutti-fruity over Orange and I think
taste is much improved and helps for them
to have a sense of some choice.

-find the easiest to swallow supplements.
They vary widely in taste, smell, size, tab
or capsule. We have found ones that are more
palatable than others.
These are generally more expensive, but we
are finding they have to take less pills.

- Chasers! My son chases the sticky Mepron down
with a drink with taste like Gatorade or
soda. Different flavors work better than
others.

- Depending on their age and health;
explaining the reason for the particular
med or supplement. And the mantra- this
is going to make you better. over and
over. 2 yrs and they finally believe it.

- I have let them out of the less crucial
ones when they were completely miserable.

Strikes me that one consolation is that
they have the energy to protest!

We moms do have to stick together!

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement