LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » 'Kam' needs help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Kam' needs help
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dear lyme net friends!!,,,
I just noticed a realatively NEW post over on 'off topic' please stop by there and read for yourself. It is titled, computer problems.(by KAM)

Now the essence of what is happening IS KAM's monitor is going haywire and resulting in our 'losing' her online.

MY silly thinking is 'somebody' has an OLD monitor setting around that would work, sorta kinda, for a bit till we find her a newer one.

"I" would be willing to pay the postage/shipping fees, to get it to HER. I HOPE I still have her current contact info by other means. IF not I 'WILL' find her. Way too dear of person to see slip thru the cracks to never never land.(of NOOOOOO net access.)

For those of you that DONT already know,,,she is surviving on such meager monthly income she can 'barely' survive as it is.

She desperately 'needs' contact with the outside world vie computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF nobody has any thing or a better idea I will take it upon myself to try to contact a 'local' computer store to see if they have any reduced or freebie monitors to help. OR look into a NEW monitor for her.

I am severely out of touch,,,HOW much does a new 'good' quality monitor cost these days??

I know this problem isnt of the size and scope of 'others' currently on this board,,,but I feel all so important, none the less!!

I am taking this on all by myself so IF I need direction in this endeavor"BRING IT ON!!!"cuz IB --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you Don for your generous heart, compassion, and wanting to keep kam online!!

she posted the other day about not being negative here in general; please all go read everything she has lost due to LYME!

she is not a bitter person but the most uplifting person i have met online in spite of all her adversities!

don, i don't have an extra monitor lying around, but we should be able to find one here somewhere.

With Christmas this week, surely some folks have updated.

DON, PLEASE COPY/PASTE YOUR POST TO THE COMPUTER FORUM ALSO; many go there too!

don, a suggestion also, to edit your topic line, click on the pencil and then go to topic line,

Kam needs help, do you have an extra replacement monitor! NOW you've grabbed their attention, and someone who may have SOB, scrolled on by, will read it and reply!

don, you are just the greatest, sweetest middle-aged man! tears are flowing down as i type this as i have admired you from the beginning!!

UP WE GO FOR A MONITOR FOR KAM!! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

also, if you live near a Dept. of Transportation or other state facility; they are constantly UPGRADING their pc equipment.

I know Iowa's DOT has a quarterly sale and i believe that would be sometime still this month so perhaps nebr. does the same?

you can buy things there used quite cheaply AS IS!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOD works in mysterious ways,

PROBLEM solved!!!

I was posting Kam's general difficulties in life without disclosing personal details. It was on an ag site I read daily.

This generous soul who I now know as 'Dave' e-mailed me in just a few minutes and said " MY dad was a quad-paligic(sp) for 18 years bedridden ,before passing away in 2003 . He was injured previously in a car accident.

In his memory and in memory he said of ALL people whose body was not whole and healthy(You know, typical run and play type).

He ordered a good monitor with his sideline puter business he enjoys and had it dropped shipped from a California outlet (few days transport away) since thats about as close as it gets to KAM. Its on its way!!!

So its a done deal, its like a miracle--the Saint Bernards are on there way!!! She will be back on line,,,I am sure most graciously as she always IS,,

Cant e-mail her very well cause she cant see but part , a small part of her screen now and that is fading fast!!

AS a small side note,,,to prove Gods intervention here. She had the phone in hand when I called to tell her of the new monitor ON THE WAY. She had phone in HAND , just ready to cancell her provider!!!(Because she had NO hope of staying online))) And I called with GREAT news instead.

I could never divulge Daves (Kams donor Angel) e-mail without HIS approval. here is what I am proposing IF you will help me thank him from the bottom of all Kam's friends hearts.

IF you e-mail "ME" your thank you for Dave,,,I will just happen to hit the 'forward to' button and would it NOT be grand to fill his mailbox from Kam's friends, thankfully , keeping her here!!!

If anyone 'needs' my addy just "shout' Aw here it is,,,put it to 'good' use!!
saramy'at' ptcnet.net
Obviously you have to put the proper @ in where the 'at' is(done to prevent spamming)

Now all,,,lets fill Daves mail box,,,otay????--remaining--just don--if not just sob,dare ya!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,
You are an angel, how dear of you to care and do this for Kam.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2106

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cassie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Don you are a great person [Razz]

Sounds like Kam is having a ruff time [Frown]

All the best Kam

Thanks for being the person you are Don [Big Grin]

Your friend Cassie [kiss]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 564 | From Toronto Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

That was truly so caring of you to take this into your hands. If for any reason that monitor doesn't arrive, drop me a line and we may have one laying around that still works.

My husband works for a major computer company in an executive position but that means he's got computers all over the house and is always updating.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There he is.. Just Don... our dear friend.

Outstanding in his field.

With angel wings hidden underneath his winter coat.

Thanks Just Don... you are wonderful!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

Thanks for the wonderful thing you have done for Kam. You are right about how positive she is and how much she needs contact with the outside world. [hi]

Some of us have gotten to know her on the Saturday night Lyme chats (I being one) and it's great to know you found a way to keep her online! [bow]

Thanks!! [group hug] [kiss]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks don,
i had the same problem with her to .
sent her some important info but
she could only read half the page.

docdave [kiss]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just amazing; not just justDon! [kiss]

Boy, we sure are lucky to have friends like you.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This means a lot guys. Thank you.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

don, i'm so glad kam posted also!! what a great day it is for kam and all of us having this wonderful fella, just don, leading this charge! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]
just don
Member # 1129

Just wanted to say thank you for all the thank yous. I am happy,,,,no estatic,,,at how this all worked out.

Better hold onto THIS memory for awhile ,,might not happen again fer a while,,,again fer me that is!!

OKay I got an e-mail from Dave and I think he is saying he wants a reprieve from ALL the thank yous. He is indeed a VERY humble man.

His parting words is,,,even Kam cant enjoy the gift as much as I have giving it TO her!!! So the 'FLOOD' of thank-yous can cease for now!!

Now on to MY next project, I am trying to find out what the problem is with Kam's outdoor power chair. Think the batteries may be dead or too old etc. and NOT hold a charge.

IF anyone knows exactly what kind of batteries this thing takes.. I think non wheel chair batteries MAY work.

My experience IS (not with power chairs tho) IS parts and supplies from captive suppliers,,,read special equipment like this,,, is WAY overpriced and over charged.

I am on a mission here folks,,,I can see the goal and I am NOT going to stop short!!! I want KAM to be able to wheel around town to the full extent of the power range of her chair!!!

I can see her powering around town,,,she SHALL!!! It has been suggested that Lions club or Kiwanis club locally could help me out with the mechanical part.

Right NOW I just need the
MAKE
MODEL#
Manufacturer
Their phone # (customer service#)
Battery type and # IF it says anywhere on the chair or supporting brocheres or books.

I undertand they probably use a gel type battery for safety sake,possibly automotive type gel batteries. IF thats the case its a done deal, new batteries ON THE WAY!!!

THIS other site I spoke of where the monitor came from,,,now THEY are all excited about 'helping' with the battery project also!!!

I am considering opening a donation for small sums here depending on the actual projected cost of this project!! I already had offers for the monitor. I think donations of 4-5 dollars or even less would take care of ANY 'need' we may have!!!

There is a BIG storm with tons of snow and rain forecast for this weekend,,,now I know what I will spend that time doing!!! (my mother taught me to come in out of the rain,,,sometimes I listen,,,other times I have no choice but brave the rain/snow!!)

I appreciate the kind comments but NOT sure I deserve half of them. I really didnt do so much!! IT 'all' fell into place,,,on its own!!!

Onward and upward for batteries NOW!!!!--just don--

--------------------
just don

serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True,
You are right...if Don keeps this up he will have to give up the just part of his name

Any thoughts on an alternative to just?

Don,
This may be too easy, can you call the company where Kam got the chair from to get more information about the battery.

Keep us posted so we can help. [group hug]

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, sweety, things don't just fall into place for no reason.

You were the catalyst; you took the action while I was just sitting wondering if there was a way to help Kam. Good on you!

So I still am sending thanks to you and to Dave whether you all want it or not. I can just say them quietly, ok!

(oops, I thought I posted this beofre but had 2 windows open and came back and it wasn;t here, lol.)

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ser,
I believe Kam got the power chairs through an organization and not bought outright new. I could be wrong but think they were used when she got them.

I think one is a Jazzy but can't remember if that's the indoor or outdoor one. That still wouldn't tell us model or year, etc... though.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I still vote for Super Don and we start knitting or crocheting him a cape. [Big Grin]

--------------------
more light, more love

serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Perhaps there is a clues on the chair- a label somewhere with the model? Or can you call the organization that donated it?

Super Don. Hmm that has a nice ring. I thought of Sweet Don but he may not like that.

Knit a cape ? [Big Grin] Go ahead, I'll send you my yarn and needles as they aren't being put to good use.

just don
Member # 1129

No Blue,

I dont THINK so!!

I prefer to just keep my eyes on the goal at hand.

I do indeed think they were both used second hand chairs that were provided for HER use!!

The last figures I heard for a 'new' chair was like 24 thousand dollars. Unbelievable they cost THAT much!!

I asked about the TV ads you see about free or very low cost chairs for the needy. I was told VERY few of those are free and the Ad is a 'hook' to get you sucked in and they sell you one,,,to their profit!!

Maybe IF your insurance covered it OR medicare, medicaid maybe!!

NOW if I can just get the info!! You could call ME happy camper!!-jd-

--------------------
just don

stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don, this was the email i sent kam right as the monitor was dying.
she did not get a chance to read it.:

why don't you look into other options available.
i do not know how old you are, but must be under 65.

1) medicaid, medical coverage, prescriptions,
food stamps.
2) meals on wheels for food.
3) unemployment
4) workman's comp if work related.
5) contact drug companies ,they have programs for people that can't afford drugs.i'm sure there is a link on lymenet about this ,i have read it several times.
6) caLL petsmart, ask for regional manager.
get phone number.
call regional manager, tell him your story ,that you have a service dog, have no money on ssi and
ask if petsmart would help take care of the service dog for you.
they may donate, food, medicines,vet visits,
grooming.
if no help there then go online to petsmart.com
and look for vp or president and ask them.
even the people you got the service dog may have options to help you care for the dog.
7)food banks in your area
8) call dept of social services and see what they can do to help you.
9) local buses especially for disabled.
philly had them, took you wherever you wanted.
many people on lymenet can help with these
matters ,taking the strain off you.

from a new post, there are many people willing to help you one way or the other.
please let them help, people don't mind helping out for a good cause, and your's is as good as it gets. lol

docdave

hope i'm not intruding but would really like to help

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To have a power chair or scooter covered by insurance you must be totally unable to walk on your own. I can't go long distances, but can walk around in my house, so I didn't qualify when I got my scooter.

It has been a life saver for me, though, especially since I am single. There's no one here to push me around when I need to go shopping or out for other reasons.

Your prices sound really high to me. I know how much I paid for my new scooter four years ago and it was less than one-tenth of what you are quoting. Power chairs are more expensive than scooters (and easier to maneuver inside), but not THAT much!!

I would suggest that Kam could look at the battery that is currently in her chair and give you whatever info she has no the chair, like make, model name or #.

That should help a reputable company figure out what type of battery to get. I work with a great one in my area, but it's not near you or Kam, so that's rather pointless.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Well, glory be! They've actually changed the requirements, for the better, in the past five years. I might have qualifed then, but not sure I would now.

For more info check out this link: http://www.pridemobility.com/physicianresourcecenter/MedicarePhysicianResourceGuide.pdf

--------------------
Lymednva

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Petsmart! What a great idea! The headquarters is in her home state, just a few miles from me. I know the guy who created it (haven't seen him for years, though, he changed churches).

Anyway...Petsmart is a great idea. All of those are great ideas.

Look, she is in our support group, maybe there is something we can do locally. She hasn't been specific about her needs with us. Understandable.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm....

I hear I might
be getting
a monitor
tomorrow

Then I will
be able to see
what is going
on with this
post.

But, I am not
feeling so alone
rightnow.

I think of others
with lyme
and other c
conditions
and wonder how
they do it

The road does
get too steep
at times

It is nice to
know others care

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

kelmo;
i could help her alot more if i new
more about her situation.
ssdis, medicaid, medicare,
i really would like to help.
i think she emailed me because of the
green santa thing.

i think i might have sent her some gift cards
from my community.
i emailed my whole community,alittle too late but got $100 in gift cards.

julie would know.

if possible you can email the info, and where she lives, maybe email address.

she has contacted em several times and i think between us we can get her little more comfortable.

maybe even a daytime companion.
many retired org have companions for couple days a week to come and talk, drive and shop.
please email asap
[email protected]

docdave

stymielymie
Member # 10044

kelmo several other options for support group,
see i'm smart i know petsmart is in phoenix,because my daughter is manager in balto.

www.eldercarelink.com
http://www.aaaphx.org/main/helpline
http://www.seniorresource.com/arizona.htm

docdave [group hug]

kam
Member # 3410

It took
me 15 minutes
to get the
computer to
this site
and for
the screen
to stop
moving around

FRom Don's
emails
i think
this is
about
the computer
and the
power chair

The computer is
dying a slow
deat here.

The power chair
died a couple
of month's
ago.

A evaluator is
coming next
week.

I will know
more then if
it is
possible for
me to get
a power chair
through the
insurance.

In the meantime
I have a small
power chair
to use.

I am thankful
for it, but it
does beat
my body up.

Without it,
I would be
housebound
and bedridden and in more pain than I am in now

I will decide
what the
next step
is after I
meet with
the insurance
guy.

I easily get
overwhelmed
and need
to
keep things
simple

I also am
hoping
and
praying
CALPERS
Industrial
Disability
will be
approved

WE had several
of us come
down sick at work
the am month
with the same
symptoms.

I know at least
3 have been
approved.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

kam, i'm sending the above to you my friend!

hoping things get better soon for you.

PRAYING YOUR DISABILITY PAPERWORK
WILL BE APPROVED SOON!

post again sometime; we care about you kam! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have another Lymenet friend as well with the same problem.

Lynn from Canada has no compter either, hers crashed and of course there is no money to replace it.

She is left with no contact with outside world too.

That can't be easy for anyone considering some ONLY have this net to find help and support that is so important with this illness.

Wasn't sure if I should post about it, and not sure if anything can be done - but I posted it anyhow.

Darn and to think my neighbor just asked me a couple of days before xmas if I needed a computer - I said no of course - so he threw his old one away. (next time if there is one I will say - keep it and I will let you know in a day or 2 - giving time to post here).

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Thanks goes out to stmie lymie for sending me the battery site and I cross referenced her Jazzy 1100 chair for batteries.

NOW, It is possible that the batteries may NOT be dead as first thought. A new kid on the block, so-so tech for Jazzy said they were fine, charger was fine, but charger doesnt give battery any charge. Sounds like either this guy didnt know beans OR there is an open wire(NOT short as he explained it).

A continuity test would surely do wonders.

Now I am on a quest for somebody even automotive litterate who could check a few things without running up a sky high bill.

I was talking to a guy in North Dakota regarding HIS Jazzy power chair and he said his is 'always' broke, requiring company to send parts and three times parts dont work, fresh out of the box!!! Nice company huh???

My next step is contacting the towns chamber of commerce and or city offices and find proper contact info for a member of Lions club, Kiwanis club or jaycees, in that order.

Now what did I forget??since I am --just don--

--------------------
just don

just don
Member # 1129

Ladylee 210,
Need more info. What is wrong with your friends puter? Monitor? Brainbox? (thats what us puter illitrates calls the tower etc.)

I dont personally have one BUT sure had alot of offers when I needed a monitor!!

I see alot of puters in the paper for sale for cheap!!

There HAS to be some org. that helps do just THIS!!

IF not we sure need one.

I would rather give an old puter to somebody in need than pay somebody to junk it.

Security COULD be an issure.

Hard to know exactly where its been or what it has seen. I understand its pretty hard to wipe one 100% clean.

Somebody that knows,,,can a puter be COMPLETELY erased??

I just KNOW I wouldnt want one with porn on it and as I undrstand it thats exactly what a vast majority of them are used for!!

Thanks for any help for our NEW mission in getting this needy person a different puter!!!Anything sounds bettr than what she NOW has!!!

Okay thinking out loud here,,,is there a way to 'date' a puter so everything from this date on is mine/yours etc and everything previous is previous owners????

Didnt think so but I ask because I am --just don--

--------------------
just don

kam
Member # 3410

RE: Computer
site
I
signed
up
for
recycled
computers

I
got
it
from
Kim
Komondo
(spelling?)
email.
She
has a
web site
Perhaps
the address
is
still
there
and
will
help
this
other
person
that
needs
a
computer
if
I
pieced
the

RE: Meals
on wheels

They bring
lunch here.
It was
a great
help
when I
was not
able to
get
something
to
eat.

But,the
food is
not lyme
friendly
lots
of sugar
bread
pasta
white
potatoes

things
that
make
me
worse
for
some
reason

RE:

Food
stamps

Each area
is
different

I was
getting $25
a month

Don't know
why

I finally
was able
to ask
them
to re
evaluate

It took
me
a year
to
be
able
to
add
this
task
to
my life

I think
I am
now
getting
$41 a
month

A lady whose
daughter is bed
ridden
applied
and is
getting
$50
a
month

The mom
thought
it
was
because
she was
living
with her
until
I
told
her
what
i get.

RE:Food Banks

I did do food
banks when
I first got
here.

Hot Dogs
Bologna,
lots of empty
calorie food

Very little
nutrition

Again, I
found myself
eating foods
that were not
lyme friendly

I would get
a frozen chicken
or two but
it was
better for me
to just purchase
the chicken.

Food bank was
$25 for two
boxes of food.

Peanut Butter
was the only
nutrition
and the two chickens

Sometimes beans,
but they
were so old
I never did
get them to
become soft
although
I soaked
them and
cooked
them
a long
time

It is a nice
resource
if it
is temporary.

My old
town
did
not
have
meals
on
wheels
or
food banks
or
a
senior van
to
take you
places

A
local
church
provided
food
but
again
it
was
not
lyme
friendly
food
for
the
most
part
and
very
low
on
nutrition

it had
white rice
but
i found
i can't
do white rice
since taking
all the abx

I really
liked it before
lyme

i am learning
a lot with
this
and
only
mention
it
so others
will know
more
too.

Just
don't
get
to
sick
to
work

although
i
know
people
working
full
time
struggling
too

stymielymie
Member # 10044

KAM
you have
to ask
the meals
on wheels
for food for
diabetics
they are low
sugars and
bad carbs.

do you have
a neighbor
that you could
call that is
mechanic or
electrician
that could
look at your
chair???

don:
i'm pretty computer literate and
the problem may not be the monitor
lets hope so.
it may need an new
video card.

Kam:
do you get good
video on
the computer
not going online??
is the screen ok
when windows screen
is open?

let us know if the
monitor works.
if not i think we had
an offer for a
used computer from
up on post.

docdave [kiss]

kam
Member # 3410

Doc

It was
great
to
be
able
to
read
what
you
wrote.

I am
low
functioning
so
can't
deal
with
all
the post

but,
they do
not
have
a diabetes
meal

i asked

i
hope
they
will
eventually

kam
Member # 3410

RE: monitor

NO

gosh..having
trouble
thinking

use
to
play
free
cell

solitarie
to
take
mind
off
lyme
and
pain

can't
now

same
scrunched
screen
with
white
lines
on
line
or
off
line

just
tried
to
defrag
and
computer
froze
up

but
this
has
been
problem
for long
time

contacted
gateway
and
they
were
not
able
to
help

kam
Member # 3410

Don,

The
MONITOR
just
arrived
it
is
very
nice

my
old
one
was
big
and
bulky

this
one
is
a
17in
flat
screen
not
sure
what
the
proper
term
is

there
is
not
a
address
or
name
for
me
to
send
a
thank
you

i
will
send
it
to
you
i
guess

i
need
to
veg
for
a
couple
of
hours
and
then
see
if
i
have
what
it
takes
to
set
it
up

totally
exhausted
right
now

but
so
humbled
and
thankful

trueblue
Member # 7348

Yay! [Smile]

Good luck
setting up the monitor,
after your rest, Kam.

I hope it does the trick.

Although, I have to say
I kind of enjoy reading
the long skinny posts.

[Big Grin]

Go figure!

--------------------
more light, more love

Betty Moore
Member # 10877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased a used computer with windows 98 that i use now.I only paid 30 dollars.It would cost more than that to ship it to Lynn in California.Maybe someone could donate money to her and she could buy a local computer.
Posts: 15 | From New Castle,Pa. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Wow. You would not believe the difference this monitor makes from my old one. It is great for a person with lyme eyes. It is clear and large and the colors are very bright.

It also was very easy for me to set up.

I was surprised I could see well enough to figure out which way to connect things. Usually, my vision is not working that well.

My brain and limbs and strength were strong enough for the amount of time it took to do the job too. That was a blessing in itself.

I so needed this. The mountain has been too steep lately and has been getting to me.

I was beginning to not care about fighting the good fight anymore.

I sent an email to Don but wanted to share in the joy with all of you too.

Now, I can go back and read what is going on with this post.

just don
Member # 1129

Yippee Zippee!!!

--------------------
just don

kam
Member # 3410

Wow.There was a lot going on.

For now though, my bottom line brain just wants to change just don to another name too.

I am trying to think of something that starts with a d.....Don and is not sappy.

Partly because of his help, but more because of the years he has continued to climb that steep mountain daily and over come many obstacles in the
way.

I met Don when I first learned I had lyme in Jan or FEb. 2003 I think.

Don't know how long he had been fighting the good fight before that.

I do think it is time he graduated from just don to ?

TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about DEAR Don or more likely where I come from: Darlin' Don. [Big Grin]

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Kam,
Yeah, it worked out so well and quickly
[woohoo]

I second your motion to change Don's name
Nothing comes to mind starting with D, but perhaps we can work on that while he gets your power chair fixed.

Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty

I know your most likely right about the cost of shipping to Canada being alot and or possibly more then what she can buy a new used one for.

Not sure how we can help in this manner.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

[woohoo] [Big Grin] [Smile]
dabber don
demented don sorry lol
decisive don
yeh that's it decisive don
[bow] [bow] [bow] [bow] [bow]
docdave

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just got back and saw this thread and it made me

[Big Grin]

way to go rescue team!

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

trails...

Your too funny - I looked at your post and it stopped at "and it made me"

I thought to myself - it made her do what? LOL

Not seeing the "smiling face" jumping on the next line...duh

Ok it's a blonde moment here.

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love happy endings.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 7 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, Secret Squirrel! [Smile]

--------------------
more light, more love

bettyg
Unregistered

kam, what a wonderful difference in your posts vs. 1-2 words per line! glad it's a miracle for you.

i love DABBER DON! good one dave!

mine; deep-hearted don or dear-hearted don [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

kam
Member # 3410

i SAW A DUBIOUS DON SOMEWHERE. NEED TO LOOK THAT WORD UP AND SEE IF IT FITS.

I went back and checked. It was dufuos or something like that. Time to get the dictionary out.

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zippity Do Dah!

Yippee for Miss Katherine and HUGE thanks to Don and all the other elves that helped them [Smile]

I have been trying to set up a food delivery to her for some time now...but could NOT find any stores in her area that delivered! Nor, any local charity orgs that would help.

She does need nutritious FRESH food...and not what is usually available through food banks and meals on wheels. Don't get me wrong here, they are wonderfully useful programs...but not really Lyme diet friendly at all.

Speaking of Computers...I just happen to have an older desk-top that I am wanting to donate somewhere, but again, the cost of shipping MAY outweigh the cost of buying new.

IF there is anyone local enough to me, in Northern CA, it is all yours. And yes, you can strip it of all old info, mine has been stripped, but needs a new operation system installed. Not such a big deal for those who know how.

Hang in there Miss K- it looks like things are starting to 'roll' for you, and THAT makes me so happy!

Hey Don, please email me IF I can help you out in any way, OK? [Smile]

Much love,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Mel,

I just keep hoping and praying CALPERS Industrial Disability is approved.

I heard from one of the other teachers who came down sick 2 weeks before I did and she said it took two and a half years. Workmen's comp is still on hold.

We have all be struggling 5 years now.

I am trying to recall when I finally filled out the forms for the disability.

I know it was over a year ago..perhaps two.

They just requested my lyme docs records in October of this year.

stymielymie
Member # 10044

kam:
do you
have a lawyer
working for
you, if not
maybe you
should see whom
the other
ladies that got
theirs used.
and use him.
it is all on
contigency
and a fixed
percentage
mine was 20%
wc in pa
each state
may be
different

Melanie:
meals on wheels has
a diabetic meal
which might be good
many elderly
have diabetes

kam:
word is doofus,
dan does
not qualify
for that name

but i do.

dufoos dave [lol]

AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a lymie on workers comp (and the daughter of two lawyers), I have to say that persistence, not lawyers, is best.

Find out your claims examiner's phone number, or name. Sometimes all you can do is call the central number and be transfered.

Before WC started paying me, I would fill my examiner's voicemail with messages. You know that saying "the squeaky wheel gets the oil"? It's true.

I know that it's really hard when you're so sick. I had so much touble getting everything WC wanted sent to them and calling multiple times a day, but that's what you've got to do. Ask for a supervisor and tell him/her the story, try to get your name in everyone's heads.

As it was explained to me, a lawyer, on a contingent fee basis, works that way because it is wat benefits him or her the most. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Just think... They'll take a cut of your money as long as you're receiving it. (though there are few exceptions).

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Doc Dave,

I think meals on wheels is different in each town.

No diabetic meals here.

One meal a day is delivered.

AP..

I had a workmen's comp attorney. I filled out the paper work to cancel his services on the case when he was not being of a service.

He put a lien on my case so he would get paid anyway. At least he kept it going long enough until I was not in lala land and could half way figure out he was not of help.

The problem I am having with workmen's comp is they will not repsond to an out of state request.

Trying to get around that.

I think my next step is to put workmen's comp back on calendar.

A date is set with the judge. He decides if the independent medical examiner needs to re evaluate his report.

I need to decide if I have enough paper work to support this.

I need to go to CA for the hearing.

Just typing all of this out is overwhelming and exhausting and foggy.

RE: CALPERS Industrial Disability

No lawyers get involved unless it is denied.

Good idea to get the number of the person who is working on the case.

I had it. But, my organizational skills are still shot. TRied getting help in this matter and have yet to succeed.

I am amazed that being organized is not a given but a skill. I just took it for granted before lyme.

I have times when I can put a time manager to good use and then go through long periods of time when I am out to lunch.

lymednva
Member # 9098

Melanie is right about Meals On Wheels. Five years ago, when I was bedridden and my then 90 year old mom couldn't handle preparing meals for us, my church decided to drop the meals they had been delivering just a few days before Christmas! I don't know what they were thinking! [loco]

They told me they figured we would have guests for the holidays and they could help out. Well, the "guests" were going to CA that year! [bonk]

They also suggested Meals on Wheels. Nice idea, but... They were closed between Christmas sand New Years. So that got me no where quickly! [Frown]

When they opened I had to be interviewed, so it was at least two weeks without meals during that process.

Then I asked for diabetic meals because I was having to be careful about what I ate. They were NOT diabetic friendly! [bonk]

They also had white bread for sandwiches, and Jello-type desserts, rather than fruit. Lots of things that didn't make them diabetic friendly. Starchy veggies, too.

Sometimes my mom ate the food, but the lunch meat sandwiches were not my idea of healthy, either.

I hope this helps dispel the idea of Meals on Wheels helping people on special diets. They may keep you from starving, but that's about it! [shake]

I survived on Lean Cuisine for the past five years, due to my NMH. Now I am able to stand longer and am finally beginning to cook some again. I try to cook things that will last several days, so I don't have to cook as often. [Smile]

I don't think there are easy answers. I'm lucky that I can afford to get things like Lean Cuisine. I know they are high in sodium, but I need extra anyway, so no problem for me. It beats the alternatives. [shake]

--------------------
Lymednva

kam
Member # 3410

Lymednva,

I just ran across a frozen dinner called Kashi.

It seems to be lyme friendly and I think nutritious. Haven't really explored that one yet.

It was $5 something at Basha's on sale and $3.40 regular price at Walmart.

So, it pays to shop around.

The good news is that my brain and body are working well enough that I have been able to get out and do my own shopping since November.

I still need to keep it simple, but I am able to take in more than I was originally.

kam
Member # 3410

Trying to easily amuse myself today.

Got out the dictionary for D words

On the cover they have dictum: authoritative, maxim..maxim what?

not sure about this dictionary..

dynamic...of force, energetic, dynamical don?

dubious does not work..means doubtful

duke..ruler of duchy..now we just need to get a duchy for donnie

surprise..they have dream team in the this dictionary

that fits with the exception of the expert part..

drake..a male duck..hmm...no

dragon don...no

discotheque don...well, I do know he went dancing once

deligent don...earnest effort...that works

dignified don..stately...ok those who have met don in person will have to let us know if he comes across stately

designated driver don...well that could work in some situations

desideratum don...soemthing wanted...well ifwe find duchy

dejavu don...well that might work in some situations

well. thats it..i am just back to just don

stymielymie
Member # 10044

disco don sound great little nostalga.

i'm sorry meals on wheels is not diabetic
friendly, did not know that ,and is stupid.

1)try calling the diabetes support group in your area and see if somebody does deliver diabetic
foods.

2)you can
get away
with a harley
just tie the dog\
to it. lol
my screen works

did you
get my information about petsmart and caring for
the dog. it is on one of the posts i think this one.they may feed and groom the dog for nothing
i told don i think he might call.
he has all your specifics.
i've got your number!!!!lol

thanks for the beautiful thank you note you sent to green santa.i squeezed the money out of some of my friends in my community.try to get more in feb when things quiet down.

also you may also try to get help from
the group that supplies the dogs.

so a 200cc harley sounds like sound traveling
in the house, think medicare will foot the bill

hahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

you didn't answer me about whether you have
a lawyer or not.

doofus dave

kam
Member # 3410

Let's see if I can recall what the questions were and who the poster was. I am getting better but still have my times.

Ah Yes. DAve

Questions...

Petsmart or was it Petco?

I know I contacted them in writing and emailed one of them.

The response was that they deal with organizations and not individuals.

It would also be a problem with transportation since they are down the hill.

I did write 3 groomers when I first moved here and learned it was $75 to groom Rosie.

It was $25 in my old town. But, I assume they too have gone up.

I received responses from all 3 but wasn't doing well enough to follow through on it. It was just in regards to working something out because $75 at one time doesn't leave me with much money for food.

I think I need to write again and this time I will be able to keep better track of things because I am stablizing somewhat.

Meals on wheels. I feel that they are for people that are housebound.

Starting in Novemeber, I have been able to do my own grocery shopping and fix simple meals.

I do consider myself housebound although I am only out about an hour or two a day.

Thanks for bringing up the grooming idea again. I will write some local groomers again.

There are many in this area.

I also considered purchasing the equipment to do my own grooming.

But, I am not able to groom myself for the most part (thank goodness for winter hats) so this will need to wait.

RE: contacting the organization. They need funding themselves right now. I was going to do a post on that regarding used ink cartridges.

This is how they feed their dogs somehow.

(I tried used ink cartridges on Rosie and she wasn't going for it...trying some lame humor here.)

I also contacted Nutro. This is the dog food the service organization has asked us to feed their dogs.

They sent me a card that is one of those buy so many and get one free. They also sent coupons which helped.

I feel I am doing pretty good at recalling your post. Better than I would have a year ago.

But, it is difficult and exhausting.

And I know I would not be able to do it if I were sitting upright and didn't have a lot of down time.

stymielymie
Member # 10044

good girl kam
i have your address i'll see what i can do.
what large pet store is near you
petco????

i was told by a pet food store owner,that many
supermarkets have broken bags of dog food,
and they can save it for you,
you need to bring a container to put it in.

they only send back the bag empty and throw away the food.
check it out
most dry brands are similar.

will do some more tinking, brain fog,

docdave [group hug]

kam
Member # 3410

Sending pm

[ 31. December 2006, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope there is something in here someone can use.

Click on the link below for lots of free printable coupons.
Happy Shopping!

http://www.wow-coupons.com/all-printable-retail-coupons.php

locally 1 of churches fixes supper nightly for homeless or whoever needs help/nutritional meals; is that an option for you?

locally we have volunteers who do things; do you have something like that ... IT'S FREE!

good luck kam! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

stymielymie
Member # 10044

hey girl,
you really live in the boonies.
a real one horse town. one traffic light????

have two leads to help with the dog
will also check food markets in your area

-

docdave

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a darling town in AZ. It has still retained some of the cowboy culture. Some of our cowboy towns have been inundated with the New Age culture from California.

I miss our cowboys.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Hey stymie,
IF you think Kam lives in a one horse town in boonies ya aint seen nuttin yet. MOST towns around 'here' are whats termed 'blink' towns. Driving thru, one 'blink' at the wrong time,towns past already!!

You highly populated areas of the world can keep all your civilization,,,most cars around here are unlocked all day and keys in switch!!Just in case the neighbor needs to borrow them!!

--------------------
just don

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement