LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » UPDATE! Just bought my own portable FIR Sauna!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATE! Just bought my own portable FIR Sauna!
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 10 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping this will help me as I have backslid so much after coming off IV.

Every bone and muscle in my body is hurting. And I got a really good deal from a place on the internet. $299 with no shipping charges.

It's my Christmas present to myself. [Smile]

I've been reading lots here and I know to start slow. I'm not a heat lover, but I do see the benefits of sweating out the poisons.

Will be a week before it comes.......and I can't wait! [Big Grin]

[ 30. December 2006, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: tothepoorhouse ]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious. I have been advised to purchase one also. I found a $500 on one of our members' websites. What model did you get?
Have your tried other means of detoxing? Epsom salt baths, foot baths., etc. I find that even the epsom salt baths wear me out.
I get so worn out by taking all my supplements, it seems like a full time job.
Could you let me know how it goes for you?
Thanks,
Debbie

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEy poorhouse,

SOunds great...but hey...isn't wearing a FIR good enough heat?

Why would you want to put your FIR in the sauna first?

Sorry...could not help myself...zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one I bought.......on sale and free shipping. Plus a waist wrap sauna I didn't expect. [Smile]

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/sauna_portable_fir.asp#page

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TothePoorHouse,

I went out to the web page, but not sure I'm understanding. Have you already received it or have you just ordered it?

I'm just not sure how you get the heating elements in something that folds up that small. If you already have it or even when you get it, I know many of us would be interested in hearing about more details on this one.

Sounds like a great Christmas Gift for yourself, so be healthy.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I go to the dry sauna at the fitness center. It's a hassle to get dressed and driver there, plus the monthly fee.

I am planning on buying an infrared sauna. Our LLMD heard wonderful things about it at the last ILADS conference. He has always told us heat was an important part of the treatment, but he said the infrared gets deeper.

If I can find out what this company's warranty is, I'd be interested. I've been looking at the one on the other website you mentioned, this is a better deal if the warranty matches.

Keep us posted, please.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, when I ordered the sauna, they sent me a telephone contact number .....I just called and was told the warranty is 18 months.

Nope, I don't have it yet....they said it would take about a week to get to me.

I should mention, you guys might want to wait until I get it and give it a review. I don't want to encourage anyone to buy anything like I do, sight unseen. [Smile]

PS... zman, you never fail to make me laugh! [Big Grin]

And I don't have anything to do with the company. Just thought I'd share info. [Smile]

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who can afford (about $2,000.00) and have the space for a more permanent one:

http://www.luxsauna.com/proddetail.php?prod=D-LUX201

Would I buy one if I had lyme?

In a heartbeat.

They ARE recommended for those with cerebral palsy...persons with that disease have ongoing muscle contractions.

A unit was installed in a home on "Extreme Makeover Home Edition".

I love that show! Needy people get a new FREE home built in an amazing time-frame by many volunteers while they vacation. A "feel good" TV show!

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Luxsauna Infrared Sauna. I've had it about a year. I got mine alot cheaper then what they have priced. But you can call them and see if they have last years model, or ones that are dented, they usually give you some more deals when you call.

Just a few tips .....

1. If you notice you can't sweat the first few times around... make sure you take a hot shower first to open your pours.

2.Drink alot of water before you go in, really hydrate yourself.

3.Take Chlorella about a half hour to an hour before going into the sauna this will help to get the heavy metal moving out.

4.Take alot of minerals after using the sauna because it does deplete your minerals as it takes out heavy metals.

5.Then hydrate yourself after use with plenty of water.

6. If you cannot tolerate high temperatures, start it slow, get in about 85 - 90 degrees. If it gets too intolerable open the door a crack for a second.
*I don't think you'll have a problem with the type of sauna you bought, because your not totally inclosed.

------------------------------------------------

From my experiences from using the sauna, I herxed about an hour after each use. My leg muscules would jump, my hands would shake, I would get a headache and I would feel so EXAUSTED! I couldn't hardly move, I would just have to lay down. But by about 6 - 12 (sometimes 24) hours later I feel much better.

Good luck with it,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Thank you Lisi! Good tips to keep handy. [Smile]
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the sale ends today. Did you get that impression? I may have to order it today. It's a good deal.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

I got one, too. It looked to good to pass up.

Kelly

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's ever a sale on portable hyperbaric oxygen chambers(bags) please let me know!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

I'll keep an eye open for you zman! [Wink]

Hey! I just read that the sauna can make it look like you've lost pounds after using. So if I use it every day, I can lose like 20 pounds in a week? [bow]

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

The sauna just arrived!!! [woohoo]

Haven't tried it as yet....need dh to help me set it up. Will report after first use what it was like and how it felt.

Oh and how I feel after it. :-)

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to hearing all about it. Hope you find it to be a wonderful investment.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Ok, here's my first story.

I sat in the sauna first for about 6 minutes on setting #3. It got warm but not too warm.

The chair is uncomfortable and small w/no real back support. Hard for me to sit upright w/o support for an extended period of time. Replaced the chair that came with it with a wooden chair I had here. Much better.

I used the sauna again last night. First, 6 minutes on setting #3 again....not uncomfortable at all, so I did another 6 minutes on setting #4.

Really didn't feel a difference and I didn't sweat. [Frown]

I'll take Lisa's suggestion today and try a hot shower first to open the pores before entering sauna and see if this helps.

[Eek!] At 6AM today, I woke up in pain all over my body! I'm wondering if this is a herx, even though I didn't sweat?

It's like every muscle or nerve in my body is really sore all at once. And all in the same places the lyme has hurt me before. Curious.

Now, before I say it was the sauna, I did start new abx on Tuesday....so it might be the cause, or a combination of both?

Hmmm, not sure. I will try it again today and try to sweat and see if that makes a difference.

Either way, something is happening but not sure what to attribute it to? Oh, and late last night I had stomach issues that usually result from a herx for me.

Will keep everyone posted. I hope things improve. But I won't give up yet. [Cool]

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't sweat the first few times in my infrared sauna, either. An old sauna "expert" told me that the body has to learn sweating first.

Now I sweat like mad and it works especially well if I drink a big glass of water before I go inside the sauna.

Keep trying and good luck!

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Thanks Gabrielle,

Did you have any initial symptoms like mine after your first few sessions?

Just curious to see if this was normal or not?

Thx

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't have such a reaction but I started to use an infrared sauna only after 2 years of abx - maybe the reaction is stronger when your bacterial load is higher?

Actually, I don't have any special reactions, just sometimes I sleep far better than usual - but that doesn't work everytime.

I cannot contribute anything special to my using the sauna (10 months now)- I'm getting better but I'm taking also abx. But I LOVE my sauna and I wouldn't give it away anymore.

On the other side, I had my first fever since my childhood this Christmas (not counting the one 8 years ago when another tick bit me but the duck said it wasn't a tick [shake] ).

It came with a very bad cold and I'm quite proud of it. Maybe my body learned something from the sauna experiences?

In case you don't know: Never use soap after the sauna - your pores are wide open and you don't want to get all the chemicals inside you.

How often are you going to use yours? I jump in every second day.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

I personally think that anything you can do to stir up the bacteria and get them into the bloodstream is a good thing. Bacteria enjoy the cool environment. We are trying to make it as hostile as possible.

My daughter has the opposite problem. Although her temp runs about 95, she sweats all day long, keeping papertowels under her armpits.

We go to the dry sauna a couple of times a week, and she says when she comes home and takes a shower, her skin is so soft.

Our should be coming after the New Year. Is it easy to set up?

Kelly

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Hi all.......just wanted to give you an update!

I don't think this is a herx. My husband measured me in this and found I'm too tall for the smaller version of the sauna!! [bonk]

It's why my wrist and back hurt. (I was scrunching myself to try to move around in it and work the controls. So my back was twisted and my neck was scrunched while I was doing it.

My ankles hurt because I had to hold my feet back and sideways to fit them while the unit was closed.

Whew......I'm glad I figured this out. And just a reminder to myself and anyone eles, it's NOT always a herx. [dizzy]

I have a call into the seller to exchange this for the larger unit.

Duh on me and my long torso, arms and legs. [hi]

PS...Kelly, it's really easy to set up. Just unfold and pull the back down to rest on the floor. [Smile]

[ 30. December 2006, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: tothepoorhouse ]

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Yes, not everything is a herx. Glad you found this out and I hope you can exchange the sauna.

I had the opposite problem when I was still using my portable steam sauna. I'm very petite and I had to stretch my neck to get my head out. Or use a cushion but then my legs didn't reach the floor and I had to be on tiptoes ... Gave me cramps under my feet. Very uncomfortable.

Now I have a wooden FIR-Sauna with a huge glass door and a nice bench and I can watch TV while I'm in. But I dared to make this investment only after using my steam sauna for more than 1 year and after I knew that I can support the heat.

Gabrielle

kelmo
Member # 8797

Now you guys are scaring me. I ordered the regular one. My daughter is 5' even. Will that be a problem for her? How tall are you?

You know, I was thinking about the heat thing. The dry sauna we go to is 180 degrees. We can only stand 15-20 minutes in it. Maybe because we are Arizonans and used to extreme heat. 85-90 would be a spring day.

We wanted a portable unit to start with. We have limited space in the house. It will go in a small guest room/office.

She is really looking forward to it. She didn't like fear of running into old high school people who didn't treat her kindly. Now, with the extra Lyme weight, she feels even less like being seen.

Have you tried the sauna belt that comes with it?

Kelly

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Kelly, I'm 5'10"

I am positive your daughter will be fine in this one!

As to how hot it gets, I think my husband told me it goes to 130 degrees or so.

Nope, didn't try the belt as I'm sending it all back for the next size up unit.

Don't worry..... [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seeing this post, do any of you know anything about CIPRO and IR sensitivity?

if you do, please post your comments on a newbie who joined last night! he doesn't have time to skim board.

he works full-time, cooks for family, cleaning, and caring for his chronic lyme wife in evenings.

thanks gang! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

hopefully, some of you can guide him; can't remember his name....clearly marked CIPRO & IR though!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zman - I often see hyperbaric oxygen accessories and sometimes the whole chambers on craigslist. Keep your eye on that.

Someday I will also get an FIR! Congrats! Perfect for the New year!

Posts: 589 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Well, our unit arrived yesterday. It was very easy to set up. My daughter at 5' was just the right size for the smaller unit. If I were larger than 5'5", I would get the larger size.

She has been used to the dry sauna at the spa, which gets to 180 degrees. This got plenty warm, she didn't max it out. She only did 15 minutes today.

Overall, this was a good purchase, and we hope it will enhance her treatment.

Thanks for the headsup on this great price.

Kelly

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement