LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » getting rides to dr appts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting rides to dr appts
SunRa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3559

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wondering if anyone had ideas...

i still cant drive and i cant handle public transportation due to severe neuro sx (besides, i am not in a city and the transportation in my area is not close enough or convienient).

my wonderful bf and friends drive me when they can, but everyone has busy schedules during the day and i'm often cancelling appts just b/c i cant get there.

cabs are pricy here and i'm nervous enough about having to go to appts alone when i feel this sick let alone worrying about creepy cab drivers.

are there other resources I dont know about?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks!!

oh, and i have a long ways until i'm elderly (age wise), or else i'd hop on their bus [Smile]

[ 01. February 2007, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: SunRa ]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Sunshine!

You certainly do have a problem on your hands, don't you? But, I think there could be some resolutions worked out if we collectively put our brains together. [Smile]

Just off the top of my head...

Have you tried contacting any of your local support groups? Perhaps you could share a ride to the doc on the same day as someone else? Or perhaps someone would be willing to pick you up and run a few errands while your apt. was happening?

I know that there are also local church groups that are willing to offer this sort of service for those in need. Try checking the phone book and calling around to see who offers this in your area.

There is also a National Ride Share program in place. It may be a long shot, but one never knows? www.erideshare.com

Are you near a campus? Most college students would do practically anything for a little extra spending money, and many are willing to volunteer simply out of the goodness of their hearts.

High school students may also be able to get some sort of credit for volunteer hours, so I would contact local schools as well.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority in many cities offer special buses and other services such as discount fares, "reserve-a-ride programs, or regional ride sharing.

Medicaid can also offer free transportation to your doctor's office. For details on available services, check with your local Metropolitan Transit Authority.

What about neighbors? Can any of them spare an hour or so periodically? (could be in exchange for something you feel you could do for them?)

Lastly, I would most certainly speak with your doctor about this. Perhaps one of his/her staff members or patients would be willing to help you out.

Take good care of you!

Much love,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!! I think contacting a support group is a very good idea! Let us know if you are successful in finding a solution.

If you were here, I'd pick you up!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
melanie, great ideas; just added this link to my newbie's links/advise! thanks mel! [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:
Have you tried contacting any of your local support groups? Perhaps you could share a ride to the doc on the same day as someone else? Or perhaps someone would be willing to pick you up and run a few errands while your apt. was happening?

Melanie! WOW! you're too much!!! THANK YOU for all these wonderful ideas!!

I haven't contacted any local support groups, but especially for getting to LLMD appts, that's a great idea.

quote:
There is also a National Ride Share program in place. It may be a long shot, but one never knows? www.erideshare.com
cool, I love this, I had no idea it existed! I checked it out and didnt see any rides in my area at this time, but I'll definitely bookmark it.

quote:
Are you near a campus? Most college students would do practically anything for a little extra spending money, and many are willing to volunteer simply out of the goodness of their hearts.
yes i am near a couple! getting them to not have the music on and understand why I STILL need to have ear plugs in may be confusing to most though, hehe. I wonder how I'd go about asking? I thought about putting a post on craigslist or something, but worried I'll get some creeps rather than the sensitive art school hottie i'm looking for. haha jk

quote:
Medicaid can also offer free transportation to your doctor's office. For details on available services, check with your local Metropolitan Transit Authority.
wow how do you know all this?!! you're amazing. I do have medicaid, so I will definitely look into this.

quote:
What about neighbors? Can any of them spare an hour or so periodically? (could be in exchange for something you feel you could do for them?)
I moved to this town in the summer and have been quite the hermit. I DO KNOW there are way too many loud kids around for my brain to handle! I believe the few adults I've met work during the days.

quote:
Lastly, I would most certainly speak with your doctor about this. Perhaps one of his/her staff members or patients would be willing to help you out.
again, good idea.

seriously, I can't thank you enough for all the time and energy you put into your response. I will look into some of your suggestions tomorrow.

much gratitude and love to you too! [kiss]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Hey there!! I think contacting a support group is a very good idea! Let us know if you are successful in finding a solution.

If you were here, I'd pick you up!! [Smile]

awww thanks Lymetoo!! but are you sure about that? b/c i just may move to TX someday and take you up on that! one ride with me and you'll be eating your words [Big Grin]
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SunRa, I will PM you.
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey SunRa, here's one more idea. I made all the phone calls to local churches & services as well (didn't like needing to ask for help, but I did it!)...

Ended up getting a referral to a one-person company called something like "Sending an angel" - for a minimal fee, she drives people to appts, and helps out with anything that needs to be done (from cleaning and shopping and cooking to rounding up escaped cows! No kidding.)

She was also very helpful in referring me to students and other people who could help out for small fees.

I keep her magnet on the fridge, as my back up - just in case all the other options fail.

Maybe there is something like that in your area?

Good luck!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sunshine,

I am so pleased that a few of these ideas seem doable for you! I am happy to help in anyway.
You know how it is...there is a small window of opportunity at times when the brain kicks in, and you happened to of caught me on an open window day [Smile]

Most of these solutions I simply pulled from an older post:

Methods of Coping with Financial Burdens: http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=035162#000016

But, will add in the others to expand that post.

I had actually forgotten that you were a fellow art student! I would then suggest that you contact the Chair of the Art Dept., explain your special needs... and I am sure that he/she will know of who could be counted on to understand your requirements.

Remember, even though those ``artist types'' are a bit odd, their sensitivities also usually include much empathy to others with special needs.

You may also want to do the same with the Psychology chair?

Also, the local High school counselors would know who was reliable there and could be trusted.

Although Craig's list is a wonderful resource, I too think I would be a bit leery of finding someone without recommendations first.

Best to you on your search! Oh, and BTW, how is that funky calf sis of yours doing?

Hey Cactus, Great idea!
Hey Mizz Sizz!
Hey Toots!
Thanks Miss Betty.

My best,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely contact a local support group!!

Many members here locally have carpooled over the years and also some people will simply drive you as a service to a fellow Lymie. I have driven dozens of people to appointments, one for over 4 & 1/2 years every 2 months!!! It is actually a really nice way to get to know other Lymed people!!!!!!!!!!

MOST support groups have an online group now so you could even just join your local state or local area group ONLINE and write in for help!!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!!!

while researching some of your ideas today, I decided to look in our local paper and there was an ad for "Driving Miss Daisy" - not the movie, but a woman who brings clients shopping, to dr's appointments, etc!! (but if she's Miss Daisy, shouldn't I be driving her? [Smile] )

I didnt have any referrals for her, but thought I'd call anyway and she seemed like a lovely lady. I'm desperate for a ride this monday and she was available, so we'll see how it goes! Hopefully I make it back alive. living in this day and age does make one a bit paranoid huh?

I'm actually more nervous about having to go into an appt alone! my brain is so bad I can never comprehend or retain what the dr says. but i always go in with everything i need to say written down so i dont need to think too much.

I can't believe I saw her ad! I still need to find someone more affordable and will definitely look into your suggestions, but for right now I hope this works out.

cactus and CaliforniaLyme - thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!!

Melanie - again, I'm soo grateful for all your help. thanks for the ideas about contacting schools too. haha the little calf is doing pretty well! she's living on your coast now - out in Victoria, British Columbia with her wonderful Canadian boyfriend. I miss her! ::sniff sniff::

she's still battling lyme, but doing it with style...literally! she's a talented artist as well and started her own clothing company!

I hope you have more and more "open window days" [Smile] take good care of yourself and thanks again!

I'll keep you all posted...

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey sweetie pie,

I am so pleased that you saw the Daisy Driver- wonderful! At least this week will be covered.

If no one can go with you to the doc, try and take a small tape recorder with you.

I know how much info is quickly discussed, and how easy it is to forget what is said (by both of you), even when you do try and write down things and come prepared with your questions.

A small tape recorder, will let you remember everything. [Smile]

So happy to know that sis is doing so well! Bless her heart. Tell her hey when you get a chance.

Love ya,
M

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SunRa,
I was going to suggest a small recorder too, anything you could replay for the full effect every few days.If needed.

I have a question for 'you' AND Cactus---

How much do these people charge for driving you to appointments, doing stray errands, chasing cows( I 'AM' qualified there) etc.??

Reason I ask is I had a brain charge(either that or stray voltage) the other day that 'maybe' I could do something similiar since I need employment of gainful nature!!!

I would think a 'stronger' guy might be useful for some situations. I would have to saw off my horns and polish my pitchfork some,,,but do-able!!

Anybody know what if ANY special insurance one would NEED for this???beings --just don--here

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SunRa, I have the same issues with driving that come

and go with the symptoms. My friends at Al-Anon

(for family and friends of alcoholics), some of

whom I barely knew have always offered to take me

to appts. They are fantastic--- so----if that is

a group you would connect with, you can give it a

shot. It sounds like you have already gotten some

great suggestions. Take care

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SunRa,
pm me and let me know where you live. If near me I may be able to help. My brain is working these days and I don't get lost driving any more. Haven't lost my car lately either.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunra, glad you found some help!

Don, if you're still looking for gainful employment - she charges $15 per hour, within 10 miles, with an additional charge per mile after that.

No clue what kind of ins. you'd need, but we got copies of her driving records, police report (clean), and references. Seems like she had some kind of ins, too, can't remember.

Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the advice. And for reminding me about the tape recorder!! I always forget that option!

just don - there are lots of people out there needing all types of handyman work. Miss Daisy charges $12/hr for shopping and rides to appointments. I don't know anything about insurance though.

I was researching on craigslist.org and I couldnt believe how many creative situations are out there! There were people (even a professional chef!) who were willing to do household chores, shopping, cooking, etc. in exchange for a room.

I seriously thought about it since we have an extra room, but then I decided as much as we need and would LOVE the extra help, I don't think I could share my living space with another person right now.

Around here, people who own trucks often make money by offering to help people move (cheaper than UHaul), deliver furniture from a store, etc.

good luck!!

Hats - I will PM you! thank you! [Smile]

hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

i live in a teensy tiny town and we have an organization which drives folks to doctors' apointments.

hope you find something in your neck of the woods.

i know it's tough.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement