LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Far infrared sauna up and running

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Far infrared sauna up and running
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used our new Luxsauna (D-Lux 201) yesterday for the first time.

Now...a "heads up" for those considering purchase.

We paid $2,295 (includes shipping and handling) for the wood sauna. It is a 2 person sauna with a built in CD player too. It is very attractive - honey colored wood finish - and well built. It has a glass framed door and another narrow vertical "window", so you don't feel "trapped". There is a small air vent near the bottom.

The sauna arrives in 4 large boxes and 2 people are needed to assemble it. We put it up in our garage.

Supposedly...it takes 20 minutes to assemble.

Now...let's get real.

It takes at least 30 minutes to unbox it. It is very well packaged!

Then it takes about 2 hours + to assemble it.

Primarily because the Chinese instructions are not very "specific"...to say the least!

And a few of the wood pieces were not pre-drilled, so my husband had to get out our power drill.

We decided not to install the magazine rack and a small corner shelf.

I wiped down the unit, inside and out, with a slightly damp cloth using flaxsoap (pure vegetable soap) and a little water (recommended).

About using the sauna...

All you have to do is turn it on (control panel on the outside as well as inside)which turns on the interior and exterior lights and hit "start/pause".

I put a white towel on the seat AND on the floor and had an extra towel available to wipe off my sweat.

I wore simply "undies" which were soaked with sweat by the end of my time in the sauna.

The sauna is preset to heat to 38 degrees centigrade and run for 38 minutes and after 38 minutes, it stops heating.

You have to wait 8 minutes for it to heat up, but still...it is not at 38 degrees initially when you enter the sauna.

It is recommended one use the sauna for 30 minutes daily.

It is recommneded you drink a glass of "good" water BEFORE going in the sauna.

38 degrees centigrade is 100.4 fahrenheit.

Now...don't think..."that isn't hot". It is a "different" heat. The "air" is not "hot", but this heat is penetrating.

When I got in the sauna, it was 28 degrees centigrade and within 5 minutes, I began to sweat. It only reached 38 degrees centigrade after about 20 minutes.

I only stayed in the sauna for 22 minutes. Today, I will stay in 30 minutes and take some reading material in with me (bored).

When the timer goes off and the unit stops heating, all you have to do is turn the power switch off. Very easy.

You can adjust the time and/or temperature, but I simply followed the "suggested" temp. and time that was preset.

It is recommended you unplug the unit if you live in an area that has a lot of storms (power surges). I live in Florida...enough said?

After the sauna it is recommended one wait a few minutes to cool down and then shower off.

I liked breathing in the slightly warm air. My skin felt very soft after the sauna.

I am pleased with our purchase and I hope it does all it is supposed to do...keep us healthier.

I did a LOT of research on saunas and feel that they could benefit MANY people.

Just a final note: these saunas are NOT to be used by anyone who is pregnant.

This may seem hard to believe, but women who are pregnant do NOT want to boost their immune system because we don't want to "attack" a developing fetus. Our lactoferrin levels actually DROP for that reason when we gals are preganant.

I HIGHLY recommend a far infrared sauna.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, I have to agree with you on the saunas. I

believe we got our two person for around 1700 on

Ebay - company I can't remember but it sounds like

it had the same components with a different timing

mechanism. One word of caution. I have been

using saunas for about three months daily for 30

minutes- almost always it has been the one thing

that consistently got me out of the pain and fog

I was in on some days,however, I think I have over

done it . The nutritionist I have started working

with has asked me to back off due to electrolyte

issues and will be putting me on some formula

which eventually I will drink before and after the

sauna. That may be what you mean by drinking

"good" water. I also always drink water

throughout the sauna.

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting the reminder about replacing water and electrolytes. I think because you aren't wiped out by the heat, you don't feel that you are losing body fluid.

My daughter didn't feel like she was working up a good enough sweat the other day, so she spent an hour in our sauna. It's just a one person portable, but it works very well.

So, if you want one, don't feel you need to break the bank to do it.

However, I think someday I would like to get a permanent wooden model. It is good on so many levels.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
A site with really good prices is here:

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/saunas.asp

My daughter bought one from them and she really loves it. It is an indoor unit so if you put it outdoors you do need to put a roof over it.

We are thinking about buying one.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with this company. I am simply passing on a site with possibly the best prices.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We bought our portable from the same company.

And, no, I am not affiliated.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marnie-

I'm glad you are reaping the benefits of the FIR sauna. I have done a lot of research, but have not purchased one yet. I go to a chiropractor's office in town and pay $20 for 30min. Yes, I need to purchase one.

From my research, I found that your need to wipe off your sweat. Bring in one towel to sit on and one towel to wipe the sweat off with. You may want to purchase the book "Detox or Die" from Dr. Sherry Rogers.

She outlines minerals to supplements to take for detoxing. Be sure to have an alkaline diet. Lots of green vegetables. She also recommends buying a water alklinizer. Bacteria cannot live
in an alkyline environment.

Make sure you shower immediately after your shower to wash away the toxins instead of letting them be reabsorbed through your skin.

Also, I have been trying castor oil packs at night. Both of these, the sauna and the castor oil packs, are helping my bowels move.

Thanks for your time,
Debbie

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, by "good" water I meant that with minerals added back in.

It normally takes a LOT of "negative charges" to deplete the minerals, but if one is starting out with already low levels, it would be absolutely imperative to be sure to restore them.

Ideally, artesian water would be the best. Voss, in a glass bottle is one. $.

But Pure Life by Nestle isn't bad. Just do NOT get the flavored kind...just get the good old water. The flavored kind has artificial ingredients which are "controversial".

BTW...I am not affiliated with ANY company or ANY doctor, ANY book, etc.

My intention is to try to help, NOT to profit in any way.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use this portable IR sauna from Solo, http://www.sunlightsaunas.com/new_solo.htm
Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted before about my Saunagen 2-person sauna. It sounds similar to your Luxsauna, Marnie, except that it was easier to put together!

Mine was $1800 for a 2-person model, and it came in two large boxes. The delivery company dropped it off in my driveway, but they can't set it up. My dad & I did it in under an hour. I'm an idiot, but he's pretty handy, so it went OK. We didn't have to do any drilling or technical stuff. The hardest part was just holding the walls straight before "locking" them together.

FYI--the Saunagen models have gone up in price because they now have better heaters.

Also, I really would advise people against buying a sauna from Ebay or from a strictly "online" source. If you have any problems with your sauna, good luck getting service or your warranty honored from an Ebay vendor. In my case, I bought mine over the phone from a brick & mortar store that has a website (www.saunawarehouse.com).

After I set it up, I had two stupid problems. The salesman from Sauna Warehouse gave me the direct number of Saunagen's technicians, and they solved my problems in 2 minutes over the phone.

I have no affiliation with any sauna manufacturer or vendor--I'm just a consumer!!

Debbiet : I also like Sherry Rodger's book. Despite its depressing title-- Detox or Die! --there's a lot of good information there.

I really wish that everyone could have access to a FIR sauna. I truly believe that everyone, both the sick and the totally healthy, can benefit from sweating it out in a sauna.

wenan : It sounds like you're having a mineral absorption problem. I hope that your nutritionist can help you out. Good luck!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islandgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also broke the bank and purchased a FIR 2 person sauna. I love it.

Questions:
1. Do you do anything to keep it clean? I wipe mine down with a towel but not sure if I should use anything with it. (I did wipe and dry it with water before using, and ran it once, as per instructions.)

2. After the sauna and no soap shower, do you use lotion or anything for dry skin? I feel so squeaky clean and my shin cries out for something but I am not sure I would be adding bad stuff in. Any ideas?

Islandgirl

Posts: 190 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serenity
Member # 7642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serenity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I know mercury detox is important but is it ok to use a sauna before getting amalgams out? Benefits outweigh the risks?

My teenage daughter with Lyme has never had a cavity, my husband, like many americans in their 40s, has a mouthful.

I am thrilled for those who have gotten saunas and I hope they are a great part of your healing. Marnie, thanks for all you contribute!

Posts: 25 | From NC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Years ago, the Romans used olive oil to clean their skin.

Really.

Now we have olive oil soap. $, but nice. I've used it.

To keep the sauna clean (avoid wood stains from perspiration)...it is recommended one sit on towels and towels are placed on the floor too.

Wood has a natural "antibiotic" quality (oils). This is why we use wood chopping blocks when we cut meat, esp.

As far as mercury vapors, I suspect the wood "absorbs" them, but I can't prove it.

NORMALLY Hg (mercury) binds to choline in bile salts to be removed from the body.

I have linked a source that says Hg is the "autoimmune" trigger. Other sources indicate Hg is not the only trigger.

I personally believe lecithin (phosphorus and choline) are very much needed despite the fact that we KNOW Bb wants choline.

We MUST have this "B" vitamin too. MUST.

Not long ago, researchers found the SARS virus (kills fast...respiratory problems) locks onto an enzyme. They gave mice the enzyme and the virus locked onto the "excess" and left the system. The mice did NOT get SARS.

Unique approach to say the least!

P.S. My sauna has 3 far infrared heaters. 2 back, 1 front.

Hillary...you said:
"I really wish that everyone could have access to a FIR sauna. I truly believe that everyone, both the sick and the totally healthy, can benefit from sweating it out in a sauna"

I am in complete agreement!!!

hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenity : I've posted about this before, so forgive me if I sound repetitive. I know that some people on this board think that you shouldn't use the sauna if you have amalgams, and that if you are detoxing from mercury you shouldn't share the sauna with anyone else because of the risk of breathing someone else's mercury vapors.

I totally disagree with both of these points. First, if you have amalgams, the heat of the sauna is not going to "stir up" what is stable in your mouth. I use my sauna at about 120 degrees, which is a typical summer day in Las Vegas.

Second, the sauna detoxes mercury (and other toxins) not just through your breath, but also longer-term through sweat and feces. The risk of inhaling someone else's mercury is so small that I think the benefits of sharing a sauna far outweighs any risk.

The history of sauna has always been communal... basically, people have been sharing saunas since there were people!

Moreover, Sherry Rodgers supports sharing saunas as a way to cut down on the cost. My ND, who supervises **many** people going through mercury detox, runs a shared FIR sauna in her office. She was fine with me doing the sauna with my amalgams. To me, if these experts are fine with sharing saunas, and with doing saunas with amalgams, that is plenty of reassurance.

Islandgirl I've been using my sauna daily since June and I've never cleaned it. I use a towel on the seat & a mat on the floor. It seems to stay very clean on its own. I don't use any lotion afterwards... my skin doesn't seem to need it, even with this dry weather. Perhaps something natural like shea butter or coconut oil would be good?

Marnie I'm glad we're on the same (FIR) wavelength!

My sauna is heating up as I write... I have to keep mine in a garage, so it takes a while to get warm because the garage is so cold.

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenity:
Hi, I know mercury detox is important but is it ok to use a sauna before getting amalgams out? Benefits outweigh the risks?

I'm just beginning mercury detox (warning- chelation can make you feel awful, apparently- I havne't been out of bed in several days and I"m relatively Lyme-symptom-free). Anyway, my LLMD said that it's totally fine to do it with a few mercury fillings in the mouth. A naturopath who practices with him has been chelating patients successfully for many, many years, without requiring people to take their amalgam fillings out. I'm still going to get them replaced as time goes on, but I don't see why sweating would be contraindicated.

If I understand right, sweating out your toxins is just a way of taking some of the load off your kidneys and liver in eliminating toxins. I don't see why that would mobilise more mercury from your mouth specifically. I'm no expert though.

I really want one of these things now, though! Good for you who've gotten them!

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question comes out of ignorance on this whole subject...so I apologize in advance... [bonk]

Does sitting in a far infrared sauna differ from sitting in a regular sauna...differ from sitting in a steam room...differ from sitting in a hot tub or hot bath?

Is the main object to sweat (detox)?

Can these other methods obtain whatever it is you are hoping to obtain with your far infrared sauna?

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by islandgirl:
After the sauna and no soap shower, do you use lotion or anything for dry skin?

Regarding dry skin, a good fish oil supplement may take care of this.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

For skin...do not apply any lotion containing petrolatum or mineral oil. It's like wrapping your skin in plastic wrap, and you will not be able to detox or get oxygen to your skin. It will actually leach moisture, and cause dryness.

Find a good one that has vitamin E, no fragrances.

For the difference in saunas. Do a google search on Far Infrared saunas. There is a lot of information about why it is superior to a dry sauna. The waves get deeper into the tissues.

We did dry sauna for a year, then bought the FIR unit. It just feels better. The 180-200 degrees in the dry sauna at the spa was a killer.

Kelly

hillaryb
Member # 10049

Hi Timaca,

I think that any sweating is good--whether it's in a hot bath, a traditional sauna, or by exercising.

The major benefit of a FIR sauna over these other methods is that you sweat at a lower temperature, so it's easier to handle if you are sick or can't tolerate high heat.

Also, the FIR wavelengths are supposed to penetrate further in the body, so you detox more rapidly than in a traditional sauna.

SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a couple questions for anyone who may know...

do the personal non-wood ones out-gas harmful chemicals when heated?? Even with the wood ones, we MCS folks have to be very careful with materials used (down to the glues, finishes, etc)

it'll take me years to save up for a good quality wood one, but in the meantime I would love to try one of the more affordable portable models, but am concerned about it doing more harm than good.

any opinions? anyone with MCS try one?

also...I noticed most of the ones above were made from Hemlock Fir. Is Hemlock Fir preferable to Cedar?

thanks [Smile]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SunRa,
I heard that cedar has a volatile compound that is an irritant, so they use the fir.

Red Cedar has traditionally been used as a moth/insect repellant in (what else....) cedar chests.

However, when I googled about it, I also read that this was a myth. Thus, people used the red cedar (not white) because they thought the "stink" must be doing something.

Red Cedar is an irritant to my nose.

There are some mfrs. of FIR that tout their eco-friendly glues. Dont know if this means "non-irritating", though. MCS can distort a normal odor/fragrance into an irritant, so I think there is more involved.

Perhaps an email to the mfr may provide more info. Maybe they might even send a sample with the glue on it.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-FL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much good information; thanks to all who have contributed. My husband and I have a unit like Marnie's, Luxsauna, that we have been enjoying for almost two months. I have been watching my diet, but it seems that I have been able to lose weight more easily since I have been using the sauna.

Just a couple of things that I'd like to mention here: First - Marnie, take off the undies! The rays will not penetrate fabric, so if you wear any type of clothing or wrap yourself in a towel, you are not realizing the full benefit.

Also, I read in a very informative book, "Sauna Therapy for Detoxification and Healing" by Lawrence Wilson, M.D., that when using the sauna, men should protect, the "family jewels", possibly with a washcloth. There was no mention of this in the Luxsauna literature, so it may not be mentioned in the literature that comes with other saunas either.

Good luck with your unit, Marnie; I know that you are going to enjoy it.

Nancy

Posts: 119 | From Southwest Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, MariaA, and all-

This is great information. I have been researching saunas for a while. Scott Forsgren promotes one on his website, distributed by Sauna Peddler. It is not wood, some kind of synthetic material. I beleive Scott has MCS. This is a cocoon type. Dr. K's following promotes it because you don't inhale the toxins.

I researched all the different kinds and found that the brand Airwall was very good. Lots of ceramic heaters. Made in the USA. The type of ceramic heater is important too. At least that's what these guys say.

The money thing is sure an issue for me. Also, there is a product called BioMat. It emits FIR though amethyst crystals. I was told that this is better because it is not direct electricity (for those who have electrical sensitivities.).

They also produce a water alkylinizer which is very good. More money.

Deb

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great that everyone is doing well with the saunas. I really look forward to purchasing one when the money becomes available. At least I feel sure that it will be money well spent.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Hmmm. I don't think there is anyway my daughter would get in the unit nude. She gets down to as little as possible, but she is very modest. I'm thinking that whatever skin is exposed will do good.

As far as MCS and the synthetic units. My daughter is VERY sensitive to odors, and this didn't seem to bother her. I don't smell anything.

Kelly

summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sunra mine is made out of birch plywood and doesn't outgas or cause MCS episodes.
Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for anyone considering buying one, i highly recommend the birch. especially if you are sensitive to smells.
Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting closer to spending the money on one of the synthetic one-person folding ones (it helps that it's winter- getting really warm sounds like a great idea right about now).
I think I'll be using it with good ventilation (outside or back deck) and your head is out of the unit, and I don't have MCS so I'm not too worried about the plastic. Mostly it's my budget talking, though, no way I could afford a wood, permanent unit right now.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Those who are using these saunas, I have a question.

I perspired a LOT the first 3 days, but now I am NOT.

Am I becoming more tolerant to the heat?

I've only run it for 30 minutes at the "preset" 38 degrees centigrade (100.4 fahrenheit).

I'm thinking I need to increase the temperature.

Ideas?

SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the helpful tips about saunas/MCS!!! I'm definitely gonna explore this a little more (and maybe pick up a lotto ticket)

Marnie, I have the opposite problem...the couple times i tried the sauna at my dr's office, i couldnt break even the tiniest sweat (and felt very sick later on b/c of it, but i'm determined to get my body to release this stuff and will keep trying). but a friend of mine had the same problem as you...she increased the temp and stays in longer than 30 min to keep her sweat up.

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

marnie i think you should increase the temp and then gauge how long you should stay in.

tonight i stayed in for 30 minutes, the temp. was set at 130F. it felt good.

summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

guys, i just found out yesterday that the INSIDE of my sauna it made out of poplar wood, and on the outside there is birch.

do you think drinking water is enough to replace electrolytes w/ sauna use. the difference between pedialyte and gatorade is that pedialyte does not have high fructose corn syrup. too expensive though.

what else would you suggest? do you think adding liquid minerals to the water would do the trick? thanks.

[ 08. February 2007, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: summerlove ]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
summerlove, for dehydration they take a quart of water and add 7 tsp. sugar and 1 tsp. salt. That would be similar to Pedialyte, I think.

I just sprinkle some good quality sea salt in my water and take extra magnesium (the magnesium my LLMD suggested).

Marnie, mine is preset to 150 degrees. It doesn't usually get that warm while I'm in there because it takes time to heat up to that. I preheat it to a little over 100, then get in for about 40 minutes.

I don't sweat for about the first 20 minutes, but I feel oily. This oily feel is important, it means you are detoxing the fat soluble toxins, while the sweat takes out the water soluble ones.

I have a 3 person Sunlight Sauna in cedar. I like it because I can lay down on the bench.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

I'm glad you mentioned feeling oily...that is exactly what happens to my skin!
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

thank you for the info on pedialyte.

a friend of mine said his eczema started improving after one session in the sauna. he's now gone in twice and i imagine he will continue to improve.

SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wowowowow! Thanks to all for this valuable, helpful, and detailed information. It's got me thinking.

Space is a big problem though. I could put it in my basement, I suppose, which sounds kind of creepy to me (I have a small, old house).

But it really shouldn't matter where it is, right?

Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

If space is a problem, there is a portable model that is very easy to collapse. My daughter uses it.

Kelly

summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

just fyi.. after i sauna i finish my shower with cold water to close the pores.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement