LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I have trouble learning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have trouble learning
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grades have fallen a lot over the past year and a half. I can't concentrate. I can't remember things. My teachers don't understand. I might have to go to summer school.

What can I do? I'm still not believed, so I don't have a diagnosis. How can I do better in school? Please help me. I'm desperate.

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey babe,
I am so sorry this is happening to you. It is happening to me right now also. I am going through the same stuff; I can't concentrate, I can't remember anything! I know it can get really stressful living like this. Right now I am finishing off my last semester of college (I am dropping out because I can't deal with trying to get everything done, and not being able to. I have strait As, but I have to work my butt off trying to concentrate, and I take a lessened course load which consists of only 2 classes.)

The loss of memory is the worst. My short term memory is shot. The other day I was sitting at my friend's house, we had just finished watching Scrubs and The office. Right after watching the office, I looked at my friend and asked him ``so are we going to watch scrubs now?'' He gave me quite a funny look. I had no recollection of watching it at all. Kind of a weird feeling...

Do you have any other Lyme symptoms?
For me, I have had Lyme for many years and did not know it. I just in the past year and a half got the symptoms of fatigue and memory loss. I have not done any treatment yet.

I really hope you get relief soon! What you have to deal with is very hard. Especially when you are in school, having to take tests on information you have to memorize.
Stay strong. Talk to a doctor about this soon. If you are experiencing any difficulties with cognitive abilities it should be dealt with asap.

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message. I know how hard it is do deal with this. It leaves you feeling as though you are loosing your mind. No fun!

Sending my love,
sky

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! It is great to know that I'm not alone with this.

I have loads of other symptoms, but my parents won't believe me. I am too young to drive to the doctor and they won't take me to a LLMD.

It stinks. Teachers pick on me and make me feel stupid in front of everybody. I can't wait until I'm better.

--------------------

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mysterygirl,

what if you print out discussions and info from this website and hand it to them? sometimes parents can be a little stupid about things they don't understand and so a little in your face action (but politely) might work. if you have done this already, excuse me for this reply!

also, keep in mind you will not feel better until you can get some long term antibiotic treatment and the parents need to know this is not going to get better on its own.

most of us are here struggling with long term effects because we didn't get early treatment!

i can hear how powerless you feel, however, you need to get someone to pay attention to you. i say, politely, because it is easier to hear someone who is nonemotional about presenting information, not because "it is the right thing to do!"

hope you find a way to make someone understand. any grandparents or aunts or uncles?

meanwhile, keep in mind that you are a bright person with a disease which makes it appear as if you are not! i remember once i was eating lunch with some friends and when i got to the bottom of the yogurt cup, i was astounded there was fruit there! i said, "what's this?" forgetting that yogurt often has to be stirred to mix the fruit is only incident of how my memory was affected.

please continue to post here and we'll try to help in whatever ways we can.

hope it gets better soon.

[hi]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Thanks! I've given my parents lots of information, but they refuse to read it or listen to me. There aren't any other adults that I really trust. My aunt is a pediactric nurse and I don't think that she thinks what I'm feeling is serious.

--------------------

just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Print out lyme dads letter that appeared here a few days ago.

READ it to them if necessary,,,never give up,,they will know eventually Is there other reasons they are being 'hard headed??"

Cant they see you 'hurting'?? or struggling???

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can start on an herbal protocol so that you can treat without seeing a doctor. It's not ideal, but if it's all you have right now, it's better than nothing.

I was exposed in 1972, but didn't become symptomatic until 1982. I was in college back then and only got out of bed to go to class. That summer I ate right, got lots of rest, and exercised aerobically every day. By the end of the summer, it was in remission.

I don't know whether that would work for everyone, but it did for me back then (but not this time around). I think my immune system was pretty strong at the time and was able to handle it on its own with the help of diet, rest and exercise.

If you can't get your parents to believe you, this is about all you can do right now. I was generally considered to be lazy back then. I feel bad for you... it's hard.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Oh, yes. They see me in pain. They try to convince me that it's growing pain or PMS. [Roll Eyes]

I don't know why my parents are being so hard-headed. My mom tells EVERYONE that I'm making this up for attention. My own 'friends' don't even believe me or even ask how I am.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever see the movie "A Christmas Story"? In one scene the kid is blind because of the soap his parents used in his mouth ... that's how I felt when I got diagnosed! [Big Grin] It was an "I told you so" moment for me.

I don't have any good advice. It is a disease that makes us look like hypochondriacs! I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse that we look fine.

Do you have a pastor or school counselor you can talk to about it? Maybe a person like that will be able to convince your parents you need treatment.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Also, there's a Lyme Dad on here (anyone remember his screen name?). I'd bet he'd be willing to help you with your parents. It seems that way from his posts about his daughter.

--------------------

MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Thanks!

I've talked to my guidance councelor and she called my mom saying that "I'm concerned about my healthcare". She called her after I left, so I don't know exactly what it was that was said. She doesn't believe me, anyways.

I know what you mean. I wish I was pale or something so that I'd look as sick as I feel.

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
victoria,
yes, print off LYMEDAD'S letter to family/friends about lyme disease!

also if you still have the newbie links/advise i sent you when you joined, look thru there for these things:

spoon theory;

but you don't look sick article;

and in the disability area towards the end of ALL i sent is this:

Marian wrote something on COGNITIVE ENCEPHOLOGY, sp, very detailed 6 pages how lyme is in the brain causing us to NOT be able to concentrate and many other detailed things. check them out ok.

print it off for your parents/school teachers/counselor, etc.

continue talking to US, since we are all walking in the same CHRONIC LYME shoes as you are. we will help you thru this.

WE BELIEVE YOU! [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine not believing in my lyme infected son. Ask your parents to take you to a neuropsychologist to have you tested. Preferably one that knows something about lyme. If not, its still okay because the testing will show you are having real cognitive issues. It may be up to you to explain the why of it. the neuropsychs that don't understand lyme really can't tell you why you have a "learning disability". Most however can accurately tell you your strengths and weaknesses.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement