LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I gotta sleep more to get better

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I gotta sleep more to get better
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm going to do it.

Through the years I have become so aware that I can stay well when I sleep alot, and I do very poorly on minimal sleep. If I sleep nine hours a night, eventually anything is possible during the day.

Sleep deprivation has thrown me back into lyme hell, and good sleep has pulled me back out over my 20 something year lyme excursion.

Yet still I stay up late at night. I want to see my husband when he comes home late from work. I want some personal time after the kids go to bed.

I want to finish a good book. I want to wash the dishes that I didn't have the energy to do earlier. I want to visit lymenet.

I don't sleep well at night because my husband has insommnia. (I'm dosing him with Melatonin and everything else tonight.)

I don't nap during the day because I am hypervilgilant about my kids.

Sleep is the pill I have to swallow. If I don't, I'll have to keep swallowing everything else under the sun.

That means in bed by 9:30, asleep by 10:00. So now that I've said it, we can all see what time my posts go out from here on. (I'm two hours earlier than the time posted.) I hope that writing this will help me be accountable to myself.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sleep is very important. But I think it's counter-productive to get too worried about it. The key is teaching yourself to sleep when you need to, instead of when you're 'supposed' to. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to learn to do this the way I had to, but I think there is a huge advantage if you can manage to do so! (actually I started learning earlier, but still had trouble-- I guess it's a complicated issue...)
Well, I do hope you can manage to figure out a way to squeeze in enough sleep; it is indeed essential!
I wish for you,
Peaceful Sleep
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bejoy,

You are so right about the sleep deprivation. My life has improved so much now that I am back in a state of homeostasis. Everything seems to be more in balance again.

Ambien helped me get back into a normal sleep cycle trying to overcome insomnia. It worked and I only needed it for a few days.

Actually this is late for me and i need to get to bed so I can function at work tomorrow. Good night bejoy sweet dreams so you can get better, ok?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just basically a night owl....but I am able to sleep late in the mornings most of the time.

Let us know how you're doing on the sleep thing!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you ever had a sleep study done to see if you have sleep APNEA?

I HADN'T until it was suggested; it showed i had it, restless leg syndrome, and most importantly, i get NO DELTA, LEVEL 4 SLEEP leaving me feeling refreshed and my body doesn't heal from injuries, etc.

4 hrs. is the longest i can be in bed sleeping and be comfortable. i nap off/on as needed during day.

i'm up to 3-4 am and sometimes 5-630 am! once went to bed 8 am several months ago. [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks!

Betty, I'm so sorry you are not able to get stage 4 sleep! Is your sleep apnea being treated? Its so hard not to be able to sleep or sleep well!

Lymetoo, who cares when you get it, as long as you can get it! Night time is so peaceful. Sometimes it seems wasted on a good night's sleep.

Dave, I think I need to sleep all day long. Maybe I've just spent so much time over the years teaching myself not to sleep when I need to. Now I have to relearn.

MagicAcorn, I'm glad you have found ways to sleep well, and that it's making a difference for you!

I've been unable to fall asleep and stay asleep when the pain has been through the roof. Now I sleep well, as long as the pain is low or tolerable, the kids don't wake up, my husband isn't too restless...

I think my problem is just being too tired in the evening to shut down the house and drag myself off to bed. Which starts the cycle all over again. I'm going to quit expecting that the evening is the time when I can catch up on things.

For now, I have to commit to sleep being as much a part of the healing protocol as all those little pills I swallow.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippifern
Member # 11564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippifern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Bejoy,

I am so similar to you! I have been in theater my whole life, and it's just so natural for me to be up late at night. I feel as though my most productive time is after 10... and I'm up until all hours too, but I know it's not good for me, because I do feel so much better if I get more sleep than my usual.

Funny, I've been to an LLD and acupuncturist for the first time this past month, and when I told them I don't get enough sleep, their question was a simple "why?" When I couldn't answer it reasonably, I tried to figure out exactly why I choose to stay up so late. I say choose, because I know it's a choice, and an unhealthy one for me...

So I was thinking maybe I feel like I'm going to 'miss something' if I go to sleep. I can't tell you what I'm going to miss, but that's the only thing that comes to mind. Of course, since I ws diagnosed and found this website, I find myself checking it out late at night... I know that if I went to bed when I'm first tired, I'd fall asleep, but I get past that initial sleepiness, and get a second wind as they say, and then I'm 'up for the count'.

My acupuncturist says the Chinese medicine system has certain hours for which various systems in our bodies relate. For example, I'm so easily up between 11p.m. and 2a.m. She says those are the hours related to gall bladder, and that I really ought to be asleep by 11 to support my gall bladder and associated bodily systems.

So, o.k., Bejoy, I'll check in with you and you can check in with me on how we do with our new commitments to get more sleep!

Have the Sweetest of Dreams!

--------------------
To our good health,
Pippifern

Posts: 36 | From Cape Cod | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have been fighting this sleep thing. I finally gave in and got some sleep pills.

they work.

but, I can feel myself getting sleepy around 8. I don't always want to go to bed around 8.

It is almost 10 tonight. I did take a sleeping pill a little bit ago.

But, I am hoping to watch MONK on TV.

I have been kind of going back and forth regarding getting in bed or taking the meds around 8 vs going to sleep when I want to.

I know i have read it is better to get to sleep the same time each night.

So, I am with you. I will buckle down and put my health first and get that much needed rest.

I am not one who can sleep in so I do need to go to bed early.

I really enjoy getting up and out at sunrise. It doesn't seem to matter when I go to bed. I still wake up about an hour before the sun.

I usually can't take naps in the day either.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joy, no, i'm not treated for apnea. i tried 2 CPAP machines. a friend gave me her husband's after he died.

i then tried 1 at medical place w/heater but their water felt like 32 vs. the 80 it turned out to be when they tested it! it was FRIGID AIR coming at me. so i gave up.

both wouldn't help my PLUGGED UP NOSE ALL NIGHT LONG; nothing has helped me prevent this every night lasting most of night.

ll pm - 2 am; my gallbladder was removed 27 years ago; that doesn't make sense to me! [lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bejoy

hope you can stick to your schedual. It's tough.

It usually takes an elephant dart to knock me out. But it works out ok because I do adore night time. It's so quiet. No distactions for my scattered lyme brain.

I work on my photoshop & watch my fav sitcoms & do try to make most of the late time I am up. I am lucky in that lately I have been able to sleep till noon. But the draw back to this is my days are short. Good on my bad days, not so great on my good days.

Taking 3 mg melatonin my night brew has helped some.

hope you can get your zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's [sleepy]

hope you can have sweet dreams
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep and extreme fatigue are problems for me. I use meds to help me sleep at night and listen to my body and rest regularly during the day, trying to plan in one nap, and more if I'm herxing.

One idea to try is what is known as preemptive resting. It's a planned rest period, where you lie down in a quiet place, with your eyes closed for a set amount of time each day. You can play with it to see how it works for you.

Some people are helped by as little as 15 minutes, while many aim for 30 at a time. Some do it more than once a day. It's when I get in my naps, but sometimes when I can't sleep I still find I feel better after resting 30 minutes to an hour.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T2JRW
Member # 10663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T2JRW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI friends,

I once saw a Website claim that EVERYONE needs to sleep between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. because something "special" happens to us physiologically during those hours. This advice was directed especially for the chronically ill and espcially Lyme patients (mentioned by name), and asserted that if we Lymies don't sleep between 10 p.m. and 2 p.m., we have NO hope of getting better.

Being a night-owl, I sometimes don't get to sleep until 1 a.m. or so. I have been getting to bed earlier than that these past few weeks because I've been battling an earth-shattering head-cold, but like a lot of you, I'm rarely asleep before 1 a.m. and have written some of my best material for the Lyme community, a Bible study I've led, etc. around mid-night. This is just how my body works, whether I have active Lyme (as I do now) or when I was in remission for about 4 years.

Again, I don't advocate staying up until 3 a.m. if you're chronically ill (or even if you're not), but has anyone else heard any GOOD scientific argument that 10 p.m. through 2 a.m. are a MUST, and how our bodies know those precise hours are occurring, and whether you can give such blanket advice to EVERYONE on the planet when obviously, so many people are naturally night-owls?

Just wondering.

--------------------
I am not a doctor nor a trained scientist. Do not rely upon what I write to diagnose or treat any medical condition.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" -- Philippians 4:4

www.needgod.com

Posts: 68 | From Virginia Beach | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recall that the early we get to bed the better and the earlier we rise the better.

Guess that old saying has some scientific truth to it.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

All right, so here it is. I have not posted after 9:30 for two nights now. That's an improvement.

The truth comes out. I'm still reading at 10:00, thinking but...but...I have an opinion.

At least I'm getting to bed an hour earlier than usual, and I'm still working on being asleep by ten.

I've had undaignosed lyme for 20 to 30 years. I go in and out of nose dives, and I keep finding ways to make a comeback.

Medically significant or not, I know that when I am asleep by ten, I get better. The one thing that has worked consistently over the years is nine hours of sleep a night.

So when I made this committment to myself, I have to retrain the whole rest of my family. This takes some energy.

My husband asks me at 9:30, so what do you want to do tonight? Huh???

Then at 10:30 I ask him to quit playing Sudoku and turn out the light, and he gets his feelings hurt. So I tell him he could play in the other room, but he'll need to get me an extra blanket. Then he feels more hurt. Then we have to talk about it for another 20 minutes. [bonk]

So I'm showing up here for more accountability to stay committed to this good free medicine, the toughest pill for me to swallow, but the only one without a herx attached.

Loves to you all, and wishes for good sleep.

Night Dave, Acorn, TuTu, Betty, Pippi, Dana, Lymednva - I read this as Diva [Smile] , T2, and Kam
I hope tomorrow is a good one for you!

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

kam
Member # 3410

Glad you are trying to keep on track.

I took my sleeping meds at 8 last night. Not sure when I went to sleep.

Woke up in the recliner in the front room so I must have had trouble getting to sleep in my bed.

Woke up at 4 am.

But, this is much better than what it was like without sleeping meds.

I do believe sleep is important to regaining our health.

Hoping your husband will start supporting your new sleep pattern soon.

I had a dog trainer tell me that dogs and husbands are a lot a like.

You need to give them one request at a time and plenty of rewards for following through on the task.

Not her exact words. Her husband was sitting right next to her and agreed.

I guess he was well trained. HA!

bejoy
Member # 11129

Kam, I'll get out the puppy training manual [Wink]
I'm glad you got some good sleep, even in your recliner!

Betty, this might be a lame suggestion, but... I find that my nose gets really stuffy when I am dehydrated. I used to tend to dehydrate myself due to my IC.

When I drink more water I can breathe better and sleep better, even if I have to get up in the night to visit the loo.

Pippifern, how are you doing? Did you get to bed any earlier last night? Lets stick with it!

[group hug]
bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

bejoy
Member # 11129

I slept 8 1/2 hours last night with one brief interruption. Today I feel fabulous.

I'm turning off the TV and interacting with my child.

(Yes it's all on a lyme scale of tripping over legos to being in a trainwreck.)

I want to bottle this. I want to do it again.

I'm off to the kiddie pool.

[Big Grin]
bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is something to be said about being asleep by 10:00 pm!

That has been my cut off this past year. If I am awake after that, I feel worse in the morning. Even if I get the same amount of sleep!

Weird...

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pippifern
Member # 11564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pippifern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bejoy,

Well, I took a shower last night before going to bed. I find that really helps to slow me down. So I was in bed by 10:30 which is a huge improvement for me. Funny thing--today I went to the drug store to buy some bubble bath...the store, a large chain, only sold kid bubble bath, scented with bubble gum or some such thing... For adults they're only selling shower and bath gel. So that's my goal for the week: get bubble bath and get to SLEEP by 11. Doesn't that sound like a great gift to oneself??
[sleepy]

--------------------
To our good health,
Pippifern

Posts: 36 | From Cape Cod | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problems going to sleep....

I can't wait to get to bed...

I usually am asleep by 10:00pm or a little there after.

My problem is I wake early....very early.

Somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00am...

I am still so tired, but for the life of me can't go back to sleep.

I hate that....It's dark outside...everyone else is sleeping..

Except me.

My LLMD has offered me sleeping meds, but with two

Little ones, I really want to be on my toes at all times...

I spend my days so tired....with no hope for a nap.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Oweee, owee Geneal.

I know that feeling of being desperate for sleep during the day, but nothing you can do about it, because your kids need you awake.

I'll be saying a prayer for some good 5am sleep for you!!!

Wishing all of you good rest, day or night.

Signing off at 9pm. I'm off to soak, then hopefully I'll drag my you know what right off to bed.

My husband just fixed the old hot tub. I had a screaming headache from 3-5am from the 105 degree soak last night. I hope it took some keets with it.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement