LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » school issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: school issues
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is doing much better these days but the school is giving us grief. Last year we went through ---- and back trying to get him a 504 and then an IEP. He had to withdrawl from classes because the teachers did not provide the work. They did not follow the laws and now he is short 4 credits to graduate. They even suggested I take him to another district that does not require so many credits. I'm ready to sue and I'm looking into a lawyer. I found some on line classes and thought I got them approved but then all of sudden there are only a 1/2 credit and it would cost me $2400.00 for their mistake! No Way! Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Amy

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since he didn't graduate, he should be eligible to go back to school with the next senior class.

Hah, bet the principle won't like that.

Or, he could get a GED.

He might not want to do that, but in ten years, what employer will care.

Maybe the online classes will be the easiest way to finish high school.
Less stressful too.

Sympathetically,
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

I am so sorry to hear your son has to deal with this on top of having to recover from lyme. I hope things start getting better for you soon.

I do know that in my district and state (tampa florida) i attempted to take some classes online. I ended up having to drop them due to catching mono. If your son is in public school, there should be online class options for him.

I know how sick the public school system is. Nothing about it works right, and its sad to hear how many people get picked on by the employees of the system. I myself had my transcript totally messed up by my guidence counselor.

I wish the best of luck to you!!! Hang in there!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for nancy in florida.

GENEAL has info on this; please look for her name posting here in general and send her a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

anyone know if a CLASS ACTION SUIT has ever been filed?

i feel for alll of you parents w/lyme kids... [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a junior this year, he will be a Senior next year.

Amy

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Concerned Mother,

I wonder....since it is the school system's fault...

Could you call the local school board.

Arrange to meet with them.

If you can, get an attorney...even someone who shows up with you as your counsel.

Present your evidence of teachers not following the law/documented plans or modifications.

Then proceed to tell them how this could be rectified.

Possible suggestions include summer school via online to secure credits.

Or possibly including some of these classes in his senior year...

Your child will still have to do the work to get the credits, however,

Since they dropped the ball, they should be making the provisions/modifications to rectify the situation.

Of course, I would add, with "counsel" next to me,

That I would hate to pursue this legally with a lawsuit, but.......

Make sure you have your documentation....all t's crossed and i's dotted.

Then ask what they are going to do to rectify the situation

In a manner that is acceptable to you both.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear another "bad" experience with schools.

They will allow you to fall through the cracks...if you let them.

Shame on his teachers....

You could also call the licensing board for teacher's in your state and put in a complaint.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerned mom..WE had the same situation. My daughters IEP specified she was to be given extra time to finish assignments. Unwritten was that busy work or repetitive things were dropped. Junior year she made it to school 1 day and the rest of the year was on home bound instruction.

She had upper level CP classes and the home bound teacher was a special ed teacher. No cuts on her, a nice gal, which was very important for my daughter to be able to relate to and work with, but not up on most CP classes.

It ended with us paying for math and science tutors. The home bound teacher became a courier. She brought work and returned it to school. Some things were lost which was a whole other hassle. I finally did a chart and had her check off assignments, so it saved some repetitions.

At the end of Junior year, she was not finished for the year. It was open ended and she was allowed to use the summer, but on her own. Things were expected to be completed by the start of senior year. They weren't because how does one do Geometry and such things by teaching themselves.

But..she was better mentally and physically and wanted to try school for half days. I made numerous attempts to get her scheduled a month before school and the principal did not want her coming back. His excuse was he wasn't sure it would be good for her health.

WE had to get the psych to write orders and even then, it was difficult. The principal is now gone.

He agreed to a half day of attendance and then she had to leave. I had to transport both ways, he was afraid of the picc line...or so he said. I was willing to walk on coals if she could finish school. But he refused to allow her to attend any functions or extracurriculars. He said if she was too sick to atttend full day that she was not well enough for other things.

At the end of the first semester, our daughter wanted to try full day and wanted to try some half year electives that she was interested in taking. He said NO...She was too sick.

Then I got called in for a conference because someone discovered she needed some elective and more credits for graduation. WE were ready to go to war. She had been discriminated against by his refusal to allow her to attend any school functions. He had also disregarded some of the psych's recommendations...And now guidance had missed that she needed more classes to graduate.

My husband and I decided to get a lawyer. We talked to a child advocate first and were assured that yes, we had a very good case. I called a school board member that was a personal friend and said we were getting a lawyer. She called the superintendent and he called that day and asked us to give him 3 days, so he could iron some of this out.

On day 3-we were told it would be worked out. That our daughter could still take her time finishing the junior and now senior work that was not up to date and she could attend full day with rest breaks as necessary and that everything would be done to permit her to graduate with her class.

At the next meeting, WE were in charge of the discussions. It was agreed to drop all unnecessary junior work, to "cut to the chase" with the senior work, to have more in school tutoring during her free time and she was allowed to participate in anything that she wanted to try. The entire approach changed from this is what she has to do to ok, what is she able to do..

You can accomplish this if rights have been violated. They do not want lawyers or lawsuits.

It was a difficult decision for us to be ready to go that route, I had previously been on school board for 8 years, but at a point you have to fight for your child, no matter what.

Good luck..It is not fair for our children...lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement