LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Moved to new place

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moved to new place
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just moved to a new place. I have had lots of wonderful help.

Still have lots to do when the brain and body will allow it. Mostly decluttering.

But, this is a senior type of place. I think the age thing is 40 and over. 40 with a disability.

A lady in a walker was coming through the front doors as I was going in.

She stopped and introduced herself. We shook hands. I introduced myself.

She was taking the trash out. She told me where the trash goes as her walker on wheels ran off into the rocks with her trash.

She then talked about her cat a little.

Then, she introduced herself again and asked me my name again as we shook hands again and as her walker on wheels ran off into the parking lot this time.

I think I am going to fit in just fine here! [Wink]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Kam,

So do tell us about the new place,,,is it a elderly hi-rise building with elevators??

Is your apartment on the main floor?? How far do you park your car from the door?? Can you power chair to the car,let your chair there and drive away, till you return?? Or would somebody 'swipe' the chair???

How MANY people live in this place,,,less than a hundred,,,more than a thousand??? Sounds like you could find somebody to 'help' you with small tasks there. Is there a maintanence man on site who can do stuff like change flat tires etc.??

Is this place ANY cheaper than where you were before,,,hope so!! Will you then have MORE money for meds???

Sounds wonderful so far!!being --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hi] Hi Kam

Hope you will be happy in your new place. Can you take your dog in there with you to?

Wishing you all the best & please do fill us in sometime when you are up to it

Good luck to you & blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good thus far! Tell us more!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This move is a result from getting on the section 8 HUD housing years ago.

I was concerned what the move would do to me with my health. I asked the rep if she could put me back on the list.

She said the list was closed and it would be two years before it became open again.

She contacted this apartment place for me. I am glad she did.

It is quiet here. I couldn't figure out why I felt at peace here until about an hour ago. It is the quiet.

The air is clear too..with the exception that there is a fire in the hills nearby.

But, no smoke coming in my unit from the neighbors next door like I had at the old place.

Don, I was wondering about the parking and the power chair.

After you asked, I started thinking and I think I can park the power chair near one of the doors and have a shorter walk to my car.

I also think the chair will be fine. I will talk to the manager tomorrow to see how that works.

I was able to get out the side door tonight but not back in because of the lock on it.

OK NOw, I need to peak and see what the other questions were...

don't know how many units there are yet.

Yes I am on the first floor.

Money wise it will be a little more but still very reasonable.

If (when) disability from work comes through, it will be less than the other place...much less so this is good.

yes there is a maintenance man here and he was holding the doors open for the people who were helping me move in today.

He also put in safety bars in the bathroom for me in the shower.

The lady who has been helping set things up said he has been very nice.

There is a Bible Study in the big room once a week. There is game time once a month but don't know if I will be able to do this..most likely not yet.

I have tried playing solitaire with a deck of cards when my computer went down and was not able to do this.

Arms to weak, brain couldn't multi task, and sitting upright didn't work.

Heard there is a pot luck here too. I might be able to do this during a good cycle.

Yes. Rosie has her public access card so she is able to go everywhere with me...except the bars..she is not 21 yet. HA!

She did get in the driver's seat of my car the other day when I was getting gas. I had to tell her she was too young to drive yet too.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Kam!!!!!

I love how you described the old lady and how she introduced herself twice...

I do remind myself sometimes of the people in nursing homes....Thanks for the laugh.

It sounds so much better than where you were before....

I am so glad you get...peace.

I am still praying for that disability...and for you and your health.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool!!!! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happy days for you and rosie; bed time for me; more later! [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

The help with moving has been the awesome thing. I called a local church I have been trying to attend but usually unsuccessfully.

I asked for help with moving..actually emailed them.

Wow. I have received wonderful help.

I was so concerned that if I moved I would be bedridden again.

But, I do not think this is going to happen because of thier help.

One lady purchased shelf paper and put it in the kitchen and the bathroom and upacked my dishes and towels etc and put them on the shelves.

Another guy set up the bookhelves and unpacked the books.

Another guy set up the computer and the TV/DVD player. The DVD player has not been set up since I got it at Christmas time as a gift.

Still lots of sorting to do and decluttering but I have a bed that is made to sleep on and my clothes are in my dresser drawers and my closet and the dining room table and recliner are set up.

It is functional for the most part if I walk around boxes.

I can slowly do what I can when I can now.

STill need to go back and clean the old place but I have the housekeeper from the county aging services that has helped with that.

She cleaned out the frig and oven and the bathroom at the old place.

Thinking of renting a machine and having her clean the carpets at the old place next week.

It is so much cheaper..I think $35 compared to $150 by the professional carpet cleaners.

All is turning out to be do able....whereas I did not think it would be.

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 12 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, I am so happy for you! It sounds like a GOOD move!

[group hug]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by kam:
The help with moving has been the awesome thing. I called a local church I have been trying to attend but usually unsuccessfully.

I asked for help with moving..actually emailed them.

Wow. I have received wonderful help.

That's AWESOME!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am glad the church did the neighborly thing and helped you to move in. It makes me feel good when I read things like that.

I hope the new place is more your's and Rosie's speed. Good luck.

[group hug]
Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's wonderful, kam. i'm really happy for you. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is very good news. hope you'll blossom there. thanks for sharing the good news.
[group hug]

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I too am hoping it is a move forward too.

The quiet is so good.

No more toddlers running over my head. they were just being kids, but the noise made my body jumpe due to lyme.

A lady who helped with the move came by today and made hard boiled eggs for me, cut up some cantelope, made tuna fish salad, ran the dishwasher, took out the trash, picked up some food for me at the store.

Very amazing. I am in such a fog when she is here I am not quite clear what is going on most of the time.

She also had a spare key made for me.

She made a little chart for me too to help me remember if I had taken my meds, ate, feed Rosie, etc.

I am beginning to recover from the move but it is slow going.

The brain has been swelling (?) a lot lately...which keeps me from being able to do anything.

Use to take a hot epsom salt bath to help, but no bath tub here.

Just found the detox tea so will start to get that down me along with water to see if that helps.

Vision is a problem lately too...i believe all of this is neurotoxins..perhaps

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement