LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Scared to give 9 min. speech on Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared to give 9 min. speech on Lyme
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Monday morning I have to give a 9 minute speech on Lyme disease as part of my speech class I am taking in school. I am really nervous about speaking in front of people, ecspecially since I've been in Lyme fog alot latly... and I also don't want to get lost in the middle of speech... teacher wont let us use note cards. It's an informative presentation so I chose to talk about Lyme disease because many people ibn Florida are unaware of it, and I'm sure alot of people are misdiagnosed here. I wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions? Nine minutes seems like such a long time....
Thanks,
LuLu

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lulu,

you'll do just fine and won't have to worry about 9 minutes!

just start talking to them about all your symptoms, did you see or have a tick embedded in you, have a bulls-eye rash?

how many drs. did you see before you had a correct diagnosis of lyme disease? for how many years have you had lyme?

then talk about the types of treatment you had .... antibiotics for what length of time, iv, or what alternative therapies have you had to date to help put you in remission.

talk about how much your parents have PAID OUT OF POCKET $$$ FOR YOUR LYME APPTS., TREATMENT, TRAVEL EXPENSES!!

talk about the state health depts. going after our llmds and trying to take away their medical licenses which will be detrimental to our lives.

tell them how to dress for tick prevention.

how about coming dressed that way?

light-colored long sleeve shirt w/gloves tucked over cuffs;
light colored slacks with white socks OVER tucked in slacks, and walking shoes

then put the masking tape around the crotch area on slacks, around your arm pits, below the knee cap,

have a scarf around top of shirt top to prevent ticks, a ball cap or larger hat covering more of your head,

dress this way for gardening, hiking, and walking in the woods
!

have 2 types of DEET there for YOUNG kids vs. adults

see you're into 30 minutes already! [Wink]

robin123 did a 1 hr. tv taping today with 3 other lyme patients; you could ask her, but she said she was leaving home for weekend so would be back monday ... so no good there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9 minutes seemed like a long time, and I had trouble with speech classes, which sucked because I wanted to teach college.(haven't gone back to grad school due to being sick).
Just imagine it as giving 5 different 2 minute speeches. Segment it. Good luck

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a lot of business presentations in my job.

When I first started, I was so scared it was overwhelming. But with practice, it has become fun and very satisfying.

My recommendation is make a list of bullet points for yourself - a bullet point for each general topic you want to hit, such as symptoms, testing, diagnosis, treatment, the facts about Lyme in Florida, etc.

If you can just keep those bullet points in your head, it will prompt you when moving from one topic to another.

That's too bad that you can't use notes. I always bring just my list of bullet points as a reminder when I'm giving a presentation.

But since you can't, just speak from the heart. Your personal story will be very compelling. Just think that you're talking to friends. And I guarantee that you will be very proud of yourself when you have given the presentation.

By the way, if you have a moment of brain fog (I've had that during presentations), you can tell the audience that it is a symptom of Lyme and they are seeing Lyme Disease in action. You'll be basically using yourself as a "show and tell" example. So you can't go wrong, whether you speak straight through the nine minutes or you need to pause now and then.

Be sure to post and tell us all about it!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on your speech. Yikes, 9 minuets seems like a long time. Not fair that they don't let ya use note cards. Can you write some small notes on your hands?

I think Jill had a good iea with the bullet points.

Here's some links that maybe of some help:

from a personal view:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008359.html

here's some simple facts that maybe helpful:

the basics:

http://www.lymepa.org/Basics_4th_ed_html.htm

hope this helps... They said no note cards but maybe having some reference stuff hightlighted?

If ya get nervous & forget some stuff maybe just speak from your heart... like what's it's like to have lyme & how hard it is to fight the medical system ect. to get proper treatment?

Good luck & blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have given lots of talks, many of them for close to an hour.

What I generally do is come up with a lot of information. Then I watch the audience as I'm speaking. If they seem interested, I keep talking about the point I'm on. If they don't, I move onto the next point.

For 9 minutes, try to think of 3 main points. Then discuss each point in detail ... include a story with each point as stories keep people's interest much longer and help them to remember what you talked about.

For example, let's say the point is testing. You might give your own, or someone else's testimony. Tell all they went through, how doctors don't know much about it(but don't bash doctors), then how you finally got diagnosed.

Another beneficial topic to the group you will be speaking to is prevention. How to prevent a tick bite, then what to do if you get one.

Have a fourth point prepared so if you run short on time you have more to talk about.

Symptoms would be a good point as well. If you get brain fog during the presentation, use that as a point! Tell them you have brain fog ... tell them what it is and how it feels. Then tell them about the other symptoms so they can recognize the disease if they are ever start having a mystery ailment.

Good luck! You'll do fine. Remember, everyone is as nervous as you are. As many talks as I've given, I still get nervous. It's normal.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is great that you are doing that!

Try not to worry, the 9 minutes will go fast.

One thing that often helps me in giving a talk to an audience, if I feel nervous, is having something to hand out to people.

It really relaxes me to do that, because it takes the attention off of me for a minute!

Is there any brochure that you can print out to hand out to folks?

Just something that works for me. Also, you can have your notes with you anyway, even though the teacher does not permit it, to look at them before you give your talk.

Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

lulu, can't wait to hear how it went for you TODAY! [group hug] [kiss]
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this too late to help Lulu, but if anyone else has to give a speech AND is allowed to use visual aids, there are free graphics you can print out on your home printer at http://calda.webexone.com under public education, display. Or, mount said graphics on a display board and donate to your local library, school, clinic, vet's office, etc. or move it around. There are also instructions on how to put it together.

If anyone does this, I'd love to hear about it and send me a photo -- I'll put it in the Lyme Times.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I jsut wanted to thank everybody who replied to my post. I made it through my speech and managed to get an A on it! I don't even remember speaking because I was so nervous and was in a Lyme fog.. but it turned out ok! At the end some people asked me questions too, which is good because i wanted people in Florida to become aware of Lyme.

Thanks for the support,
LuLu

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

"an ACE in the hole"! FANTASTIC lulu! we all knew you could do it as you told your personal story. glad you had questions after school, and don't be surprised they ask you more outside of class!

to our new celebrity; may we have your autograph lulu?!! [bonk]

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[woohoo]

We knew you could do it! Congratulations!

It is weird, isn't it, how we can be in a Lyme fog and sort of go on automatic pilot and somehow the words come out OK! Thank goodness! It shows that you had rehearsed enough in your mind that you were fine even in the fog.

I hope you are very proud of yourself. I always hear surveys that public speaking is the number one thing that people are scared of. You did it - and you did it while not feeling well - so you did doubly well!

Now you know you have a speech all prepared in case there are opportunities in the future for you to speak at any local groups - it sounds like they need help with awareness of Lyme in Florida.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you have to give a speech; while you're standing in the front of your audience, just imagine everyone in their underwear. It really helps to keep you relaxed.

You know most people, regardless of the audience, look absolutely hilarious in their underwear.

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did the best thing for yourself by choosing a topic that you are intimantly familiar with.

Being truely knowledgeable about the topic always helped me when I had to do speeches/presentations.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement