LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » My cat. Matty died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My cat. Matty died
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matty, my little angel, died this morning. My mom and I found him. The vet said that he probably had a heart attack and went into cardiac failure. My heart feels like it is torn out. Matty was still a young cat. We were inseperable. He has had cardiac problems for ten years and was on medication. I feel terrible. I feel lost.

[ 26. July 2007, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: iceskater ]

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY FOREVER PET

There's something missing in my home,

I feel it day and night,

I know it will take time and strength

before things feel quite right.

But just for now, I need to mourn,

My heart -- it needs to mend.

Though some may say, "It's just a pet,"

I know I've lost a friend.

You've brought such laughter to my home,

and richness to my days.

A constant friend through joy or loss

with gentle, loving ways.

Companion, friend, and confidante,

A friend I won't forget.

You'll live forever in my heart,

My sweet, forever pet.

-- Susanne Taylor

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about Matty. I am sending you strength in this sad time.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((((Sandi))))

I know how broken your heart must be right now & am so sorry [Frown]

There are just not enough words at times like these...

just know that I love ya [kiss]

& hope in time your heart will mend

I'll keep all of you in my prayers

[group hug] A thousand hugs my friend [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
- Kabil Gibran

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lost my beloved chocolate lab, randi, a year ago. she was 12 and a half and like your pet, died of heart failure.

i grieve to this day. not having children my whole world was wrapped up in her.

i had her cremated and her ashes are on my night stand and her toys are still in her corner. i will not get rid of them.

i am so sorry for your loss. i wish i could tell you it gets better but for a long while it's going to be very sad.

pets are family, little loved ones in fur coats. they understand so much more than humans do and ask nothing in return, unconditional love...

again, my very deepest symphathies are with you...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 9 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry for your loss of Matty. I am a cat lover, and the attachment you get with these animals are unreal and endless.

I pray for you at this time and send my condolences.

Hugs, Perplexed [group hug]

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry about Matty, Skater.

Cats are such incredibly soothing and loving and attuned companions--being able to love Matty for as long as you did must make it all the more difficult.

Was she your only cat? When my friend and cat Nub died years ago, one of our other cats who had been closest to him mourned as deeply as I did. I left my husband to sleep by himself for several nights and she and I curled up on a couch together and grieved together, which helped both of us a great deal.

Hope you find such solace in whatever way available to you.

hugs, dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry about the loss of your dear friend and companion.

I lost one of my cats, tragically about 9 months ago.

I still grieve for her as well as for all of my dear friends who have gone before her.

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers to get through this tough time.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug] Sandi,

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014207

My heartfelt sympathies my dear friend on the loss of your beloved Matty! I've not had any pets in the last 40+ years, so I don't know what you are going thru now.

Above is my sympathy poem collection I put online around 2 yrs. ago; someone added a PET poem, and if my memory serves me right; it is at the end of what is there!

May the others bring you comfort and healing as well Sandi.

Carol/cobweb, those were nice poems/sayings! [group hug] [kiss]

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My deepest sympathy, Skater. [group hug]
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think it's twice as hard to lose a pet because they are the one's who would have comforted you.

Know that your kitty will always be there in your heart, wishing your pain away. He would not want to see you sad, but instead remembering the happy times you shared.

Though there will never be another Matty, I'm sure he would like to see you find comfort.
Remember him well and may your burden lighten with each passing day until you find peace.

sending hugs & prayers,
[group hug] [group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awwww sandi,

Matty was such a good one. I cried reading your post as i felt like i knew matty.

hang in there my friend.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry Iceskater. I know its hard. Pets become our family and you get so used to them being there! My cat Gilbert Grape died last week. I still keep looking for him. He used to trip me when I walked down the stairs bringing down laundry and I still look for him! Sorry for our loss.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry Iceskater, I know how wonderful our beloved pets can be, and the part of us they take with them when they go.

I'm sorry you lost this source of comfort and joy. You were a wonderful mom to Matty.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry iceskater. I know how it feels to lose your bestfriend too early.

I had a dog named Diesel who died when he was 9. He also died of a bad heart. I tried everything to save him.

I am a vet tech so I had acess to the best. It didnt matter as he went into heart failure I had to euthanize him. I miss him everyday.

I had a near death experience where I saw the light and all and he was there and blocked me from going all the way.

Here is a poem that gives me strength when I lose a pet. I truly believe in this. It makes me cry when I read it so if you do not want to cry do not read it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I hope you find peace- melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matty sounds like a darling- I am so sorry!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

I knew someone would come along with Rianbow Bridge-it is one of my favorites,too. Somewhere on the web is a version of it with pictures and soundtrack-I tried to bring it here-but without success .

Anyway-sometimes other's grief taps into your own. So I watched the video rendition and wept with you IceSkater.

In 2003 I took in a stray cat I had been feeding on the porch when a snow storm was threatening for the weekend. My intent was to put him back out with better weather.

I noticed he had a wound on his ear, so I decided to have it tended to before I put him back outside. At the Vet's they said his ear would need to be operated on to clean and tend to the wound. But then they did blood work and told me he was FIV positive and did I want to just put him down?

NO-I told them, this cat needs some TLC before he dies. They agreed to tend to his medical needs but told me when I took him home he would need to be isolated, kept away from other cats, and not put back outside.

I put him in my son Tommy's room to recuperate. Tommy was a special needs child. He needed to sleep in leg braces at night and would get very fussy. Tommy was also blind.

"Bernie" became Tommy's therapy cat. Whenever Bernie would snuggle up next to Tommy to sleep, Tommy would settle down. He could feel the warmth, feel the purring, feel the closeness of another living creature. The expression on Tommy's face would change. He was "connected", he was content, he was peaceful.

Sadly, Tommy died unexpectedly April 2004 during a grandmal seizure.

But I still have Bernie, who snuggles next to me now-and I feel "connected" to my boy, as he waits for his cat to join him at the rainbow bridge.

To think I kept Bernie to give him TLC. Guess I got it backwards-Bernie was sent to us to give us TLC.

Excuse me, I have to go hold Bernie and cry some more, and Thank God that love comes in many forms.

[group hug]
Carol

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skater,

I am SO sorry to hear about Matty, and I know how much your heart is hurting and how much you're going to miss him. Whether they're young or older, losing a pet is so hard.

My cat, Sam, died a few years ago at the age of 20. We'd gone through a lot together, and I still feel her or think I see her.

The comfort in it (awhile in coming) was that about a year later, a little alley cat showed up at the back door and refused to leave. We finally invited him to live with us, and while he can never be Sami, he's his own funny, gentle, wonderful guy.

Just know my heart is with you, Skater.

Hugs,

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allison Smith
Member # 11631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allison Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry.

I too have known, more times than I want, the sorrow of losing one of our precious furry loved ones.

They bring unconditional love into the relationship, where the rest of the world is unable.

She undoubtedly knows how much you loved her and still love her and that comfort should take you both through this grieving time.

Much Love!

Posts: 94 | From Greenville, Tx | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH man, I hate to hear this!! I know full well how heart wrenching this is....especially when you're ill yourself and need him!!!!

Take good care of yourself! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your support, I posted an update in a seperate thread. Again, many thanks for your warm wishes.
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skater

I am so sorry for your loss. Just remember the good stuff, and Matty will always be with you. [group hug]

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What terrible news.

I know that if something happened to my dog I would be devastated.

He has been more loyal to me in these last, most trying months than the majority of my friends.

I often feel that he is the only one that does not judge me. Some days, he is the only reason why I get out of bed: to fill his food dish, walk around the block.

I believe animals can have a greater capacity for patience, compassion, and forgiveness than humans.

My heart goes out to you...

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
such a sad time. I'm sorry for your loss.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear this Iceskater.
I hope you are doing okay. [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cobweb carol,

my heartfelt sympathies on the sudden loss of your beloved son, tommy! thank goodness bernie was there for you all; it was such a touching, special story you shared with iceskater sandi and us all.

glad bernie is still there for you and vice versa. [group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Just wanted to tell everyone that we are getting along better this week. The two other kitties need some extra love and attention. Just wanted to thank everyone again at lymenet for their support and understanding in a difficult time. God Bless!!!
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iceskater,

I'm a huge animal lover. We have 5 "fur kids" ourselves. We just lost our alpha dog in March. I know how you must feel.

Be well.

BT

Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement