LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » some encouragement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: some encouragement
cornhusker321
Member # 12656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cornhusker321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I have been feeling really crappy from lyme, and of course I am feeling somewhat depressed. I watched the trailer to the video someone posted on the lyme movie coming out and quite frankly, it made me feel even more down. All of the stories seemed pretty negative. I am new to lyme disease and I kind of feel like, why even try if the chances of getting better are slim to none? I almost threw away my antibiotics until my wife stopped me> I am taking Zithromycin right now and I am having really bad herxes that feel like the worst flu I have ever had. Anyway, I don't want to sound like a whiny wimp, and would appreciate any experienced input.
Thanks,
Cornhusker

Posts: 16 | From nebraska | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's THIS fact:

EVERY

SINGLE PERSON

I KNOW

WHO HAS HAD CHRONIC LYME DISEASE

WHO HAS STAYED ON ABX

HAS GOTTEN SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER IF NOT

FULL REMISSION

(excepting guy who killed himself 6 months into treatment and late ALS presenting guy who died 2 weeks into treatment!)

AND

my life was over, it was death waiting for me, my husband didn't touch me for 3 YEARS and
my mother "let me go" to find peace in the afterlife BUT

MY LIFE IS GREAT

I have a grouchy pudgy husband I love

and SIX wonderful annoying rescued neurotic cats

and TWO incredible glorious smart daughters

and LIFE IS WONDERFUL!(*_!*)*)!*)!

So there*)!*!

I was the WORST excepting ALS presenters
who came to our group and I am doing great and YOU CAN TOO*!)*)!*! If you just HANG IN THERE*)!)

Yup, I had MONTHS where I had given up, but KEPT ON doing what I was suppsoed to do- so if
you feel like killing yourself PLEASE don't!! there IS life out there- life with pleasures you thought were gone- THEY ARE WAITING*)!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there. I know it is hard, but we are here for you. You WILL get through this.

It sounds like you have a supportive wife. I'm sure that helps some.

I hope you start to feel better very soon.

Hugs,
Lauren
[group hug] [Big Grin]

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Husker guy,

Believe it or NOT this is probably a GOOD sign.

There are those that dont herx at all!!! Those folks arent making the progress YOU are.

It means the abx is kicking keet butt.

Remember where your from,,,3 yards and a cloud of dust,,,thats how its done for the tough guys around HERE!!!

No hail Mary's, no 106 yard touchdowns,,,3 yards and a cloud of dust,,,thats how you kick keet butt.

Its HARD to believe,,but LONG term,,,YOU have alot of promise!!!

Keep your head up!! IF you need support some days,,stop back here and get a fill up for free any day you want!!!

"I" know what your made of,,,and so do YOU!! go big red says --just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also a good thing to have so much fight in you!! Use it to GET WELL.....not to GIVE UP!!!

You will want to give up many more times...Don't do it!!!

I'm doing great after having had Lyme for 48 yrs now. I was in treatment for 4 yrs and am now nearly 100% and off abx for almost 3 yrs now!!

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to echo a bit of what California said: when I first started Lyme treatment, I felt like I was at about 18% of my health.

Friends secretly admitted to themselves that they didn't think I could possibly survive, I was so sick.

I couldn't think, couldn't talk without stuttering. I was completely and totally exhausted. I had seizures, legs so swollen I wasn't able to walk wtihout limping. And the worst was yet to come, with extraordinary numbness and full-body paralysis (two bouts of that).

That was in June 2005. Now, I'm still on medications and herbs, but I'm at about 80% capacity. Back at work full time and about to go up to Montreal and Quebec City on vacation.

Don't give up hope. Ever. Keep fighting this; with patience, diligence, I really believe you can find your life again. A little changed maybe but still, a life you can live with.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's 43 replies up in success stories up top.^

That might be worth a read right now.

Depression can also be magnified via Herx. You've got an LLMD & are getting treated. Stick with it and tell yourself, "This too shall pass".

If your herxing & feeling like garbage, know that you'll soon be feeling improvement. [Big Grin] It runs in cycles. Each cycle gets a little less miserable and a little more improvement.

Many of the people who have really severe problems had an awful lot of medical negligence and improper treatment.

Check in on the board with your treatment progress and any new treatments. There's a lot of great advice here that can save you from having some of the unpleasant experiences people here have had.

That's why people share a lot of negative info here......so it won't happen to you. [Smile]

Chin up, you're on the road to recovery!
[hi]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just hoping you are feeling better today- if not, heck, I was depressed for months and months
and frankly, I pretty much had gotten towhere I was in so much pain if I hadn't had my kid I would have been glad to die- but I am so glad I didn't because life is great now- and I never ever would have BELIEVED it could be again, but on the off chance there was an off chance I kept on doing what I was told to do where my only hope was- for me IV Rocephin-

I remember when I got the groshong put in I was six months into IV after a YEAR of orals with just PROGRESSION and a few little gains here and there but literally one inch forward and 5 steps back, just getting sicker and sicker and sicker,
and the doctor putting in the IV asked me, "Why are you crying?" and I didn't know I was, he touched the tears on my cheek, it was the pre-op consultation, and I said, "I just don't see the point anymore."

And he said, he's not an LLMD so I'll use his name, Doc Long of CA Pacific Med Center, he said, "Every single person I've put a port or groshong in for your doctor has gotten better. I see them, they all come in like you- and when I take them out, they're all smiling."

I just looked at him numbly and in despair and a bit pityingly if I recall, like , "Yeah but not me buddy, I'm screwed, I can barely walk now."

And then 2 months later I called him to ask, "Can I jog with the Groshong in?"

I was feeling so good at last!!

Little did I know that it would take me a full year to regain muscle sterngth, mass and agility to enable me to jog again, I felt as if I could.
He said, "Sure!" and I heard in his voice the memory of that instant when he touched my face, the recognition of who I was and the recognition of my doctor, a silent "Yup, another one of Doc S's patients doing good!"

But then I found, despite how good I felt, without pain, I was still so absurdly weak that walking the length of the house was a monumental effort for my muscles, and I had to do strength exercises and homemade physical therapy to be able to do simple things again.

But it was all different.

Because I wasn't in pain anymore. Or feeling like puking. Or actually puking. Or having convulsive, gut wrenching bowel things. Or watching myself fall or twitch or hearing myself slur...

ANYWAY, so now in our support group I hear an echo of Doc Long telling me that about my doctor when I tell newbies everyone gets better if they stick with abx- which is true- and sometimes they look at me with a similar look of self-pity and Sarah-pity, "Yeah but not me, I'm screwed."

One day maybe you can do whatever it was you wanted before Lyme with even more enthusiasm.

It probably doesn't seem real that you can get so much better, but I have seen people rise from wheelchairs and peopple throw away canes and one person who presented like a total nutcase, someone I didn't even believe had LYme, become normal mentally again on abx.

I am sending you

!*)*)!a psychic cup of chamomile tea*)!*)!
!!*)!*)!*)!*)!*!)*!)!*)!*)!*)!*!)*)!*)!)!*!)!*)

Morning-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to whinny wimps, I am somewhat of an authority. It's not uncommon for lyme disease to morph into "whine" disease and I even had what turned into babyosis. I thought I was never going to get better and that my life as I knew it was over,but guess what-I got better. There is no fast forward and for awhile it will be right in your face but if a wimp like me can deal with it, I bet you can too!
Posts: 228 | From Wassaic NY. USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nebraska cornhusker,

It takes a long time -- but keep treating!!!

You will get better if you keep treating. I have been telling myself this for the past 13 months, and finally feel like I am making some good progress! It sure takes longer than we would wish.

Seems like many of the folks who do really well are on multiple antibiotics and use IV abx for however long they need to. I hope you have a good llmd -- sound like you have a supportive wife!

The stories are only negative if we stop and get too discouraged. Hang in there and take care!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cornhusker321
Member # 12656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cornhusker321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone,
What can I say, you guys have really cheered me up. I am going print off your replys and put them on the fridge. I am glad I googled lyme disease 6 months ago and by chance came upon this site and some great people!
THANKS!!!!
Cornhusker

Posts: 16 | From nebraska | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TickTock4422
Member # 12553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TickTock4422     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed about 2 months ago and it has been a slow road for me just increasing my oral antibiotics from 100mg to 300mg. Every time I get up to 300mg., I feel like I am insane, uncoordinated [bump into walls], confused, completely fatiqued and drained of energy, and am unable to write, or type to work.

This is not encouraging AT ALL and makes me feel like one year will be about the time I will feel substantially better. I was thinking today that maybe IV antibiotics is what I need and would hasten my recovery; especially after watching the video by Brooke Landau,

What is the decisive factor constitutes or reason to switch from oral antibiotics to IV? I don't have any co-infections by the way.

TickTock

Posts: 57 | From La. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
It's also a good thing to have so much fight in you!! Use it to GET WELL.....not to GIVE UP!!!

You will want to give up many more times...Don't do it!!!

Good!! So if this is going on the fridge....I want this part on there TWICE!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some cheese to go along with my "whine".
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cornhusker321
Member # 12656

stinging sarcasm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement